• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Where is our Final Fantasy VII remake?

I'd buy it

Although I put a lot of time into the game back on PS1, I never finished it because once I got to the final area I wasn't levelled highly enough. Didn't want to go back and spend hours grinding as a teen.

I'd play it smarter nowadays

No remake would stand a chance against the original games nostalgia. Everyone wants to recapture the feeling they had as a kid playing ff7, but I don't think a remake would give that. Instead, fans would hate all the ways it's different from the original. They would say it's lost its original charisma.

brinstar

the only way I could see them conceivably doing a FFVII remake would be if it looked more or less the same as the original with higher-res backgrounds and character models...

but it feels like whenever the concept for a FFVII remake comes up people want something like FFXV or Advent Children-style fully explorable environments and stuff, and I just don't see that happening.

Which is kind of the whole thought behind this thread. Typically when big companies have a method to print money, they take advantage of it. A lot of people are missing the point I'm trying to make which is not "why doesn't Square Enix start making a Final Fantasy 7 remake right now?" but more of a "why haven't they done it yet, considering all of the other Final Fantasy games they've remade?"

The other FF remakes were:

- Remakes of sprite-based games where the biggest improvements were a better-localized script and better-quality sprites and music. (FF I & II remakes)
- Conversions of sprite-based games to cartoony DS graphics. (FFIII and FFIV DS)
- Higher-resolution remakes of 3D games (FFXHD, ports of FFIII DS)

There hasn't been a FF remake that has gone from FFVII quality graphics to FFVII tech demo quality graphics. The best you'd get is the equivalent of the higher-resolution FFIII DS ports, which I don't think would be a very good use of the FFVII name given that the game was founded on having cutting-edge cinematics and storytelling at the time.

KissVibes

Banned
I feel pretty confident in saying that the Final Fantasy 7 demo for PS3 only happened because around the same time they were in their big FF7 multimedia push. If it hadn't been for that, I'm sure Square would've did a generic demo or perhaps one based around FF12.

Nerokis

Which is kind of the whole thought behind this thread. Typically when big companies have a method to print money, they take advantage of it. A lot of people are missing the point I'm trying to make which is not "why doesn't Square Enix start making a Final Fantasy 7 remake right now?" but more of a "why haven't they done it yet, considering all of the other Final Fantasy games they've remade?"

You can't tell me that the time / manpower / everything factored together for all of those remakes couldn't have been used to make a decent Final Fantasy 7 remake either this generation or last.

Come on, man. The remakes for III and IV were low risk propositions. all the remasters and ports even moreso. Everything about a VII remake would be incomparably more risky, and not to mention difficult-impossible for today's SE.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
the only way I could see them conceivably doing a FFVII remake would be if it looked more or less the same as the original with higher-res backgrounds and character models...

but it feels like whenever the concept for a FFVII remake comes up people want something like FFXV or Advent Children-style fully explorable environments and stuff, and I just don't see that happening.

To be honest, I would be happy with updated visuals (backgrounds, menus, etc), new pre-rendered FMV sequences, and character models that look more like Dissidia and less like a boxy version of Popeye. Adding things like voice acting would be huge. Even if the game were released on the Vita or another popular handheld I would be okay with that.

I'm not really talking about making Final Fantasy VII look and feel like Final Fantasy XV. I know it would be a huge undertaking.

JordanN

Banned
They couldn't remake FFV and VI for 3DS, yet you expect them to do it on Vita ?
Heck, they couldn't even port Type-0 HD to Vita, which is based on a PSP game...

I'm just putting it out there as a counter to those who say budget would be impossible or the graphics couldn't satisfy.

I'm aware Squenix avoids the Vita but that doesn't mean things can't turn around. Hell, it could even be an opportunity to subsidize the costs of a remake.

Squenix: Hey, Sony. We're interesting in remaking FF7 and we were thinking about PS Vita...
Kaz Hirai: Holy shit, you're remaking FF7!?!?!
*grabs sacks of money*

I don't think there's any game more special to me than FF7, but I'm not convinced that a remake would be worth the creative effort. I've posted my thoughts on this topic before:

I don't even know if I want a remake, at least not the hyper-HD one that everyone always talks about. FF7 is such a goofy game. It works precisely because it doesn't try to be realistic. A modernized remake would either keep all the weird stuff in and come across as hella awkward, or take it all out and become a soulless husk of its former self. And let's not forget SE's revisionist history regarding Cloud's personality in all the FF7 spin-offs, which would probably rear its ugly head in a remake.

I don't even know what my ideal FF7 remake would be. It's a product of its time, and its own inherent jankiness. Updating any part of it runs the risk of undermining the entire whole. A better translation and properly orchestrated music is really all that game needs to be perfect in my eyes.

RPGCrazied

I'm sure they are keeping this close to their vest until they really are in dire need of money. I still think we will get one. I hope though we get remakes not just for VII, but VIII and IX as well.

JC Lately

You know what? I want this remake to happen too.

I want Square to spend millions of dollars and several years remaking a game from 1997, then release it so it may stand on shelves both real and virtual next to things like Persona 5 Ruby, the new game in the Xenoblade series, whatever SMT we will be up to then, Fallout 4/and or Elder Scrolls VI, Mass Effect Whatever, and Dragon Age: Whatever Ever Else

Because when stacked up next to contemporary RPG’s form both sides of the pacific, perhaps the games true nature of serviceable but not spectacular will finally be proven and the this worship born of nostalgia may end.

And there shall be peace in the Internet. Such a glorious peace.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FFVII coming out in the pre-rendered era is an unfortunate period for those who want remakes.

If you take a 16-bit game, it's relatively easy to redraw the sprites or render them in simplistic 3D chibi Art.

If you take a PS2-era game, you can just up-res it to HD.

But those pre-rendered games in the 32-bit era cannot be upscaled... And the graphical detail in those pre-renders imply graphics that would be a lot of work to recreate in HD. You could go for pre-rendered artworks in HD, but that is a huge job, and pre-rendered is way out of style. You could render the art in real-time... But would you keep the same overhead camera? If not, you've got a AAA 3D game on your hands, with a pre-existing level layout and scenario that dictates a certain scope... And that scope is massive.

It would be the opposite of most remakes. Instead of having a lot of the game done for you, just waiting for a shiny coat of paint, it would actually be a far bigger game design than the original.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the Final Fantasy 7 demo for PS3 only happened because around the same time they were in their big FF7 multimedia push. If it hadn't been for that, I'm sure Square would've did a generic demo or perhaps one based around FF12.

Like I mentioned earlier, they did this with FF6 and FF8.

FfVI-tech_demo.gif

FF6 during the N64 era

FF8 for the PS2 era

I'm pretty sure the reason they didn't do it again this time around is cause people assume they're game announcements now. So they likely didn't wanna set peoples hopes up for another remake of a FF on the PS4/XBone

JordanN

Banned
But those pre-rendered games in the 32-bit era cannot be upscaled... And the graphical detail in those pre-renders imply graphics that would be a lot of work to recreate in HD. You could go for pre-rendered artworks in HD, but that is a huge job, and pre-rendered is way out of style. You could render the art in real-time... But would you keep the same overhead camera? If not, you've got a AAA 3D game on your hands, with a pre-existing level layout and scenario that dictates a certain scope... And that scope is massive.

It would be the opposite of most remakes. Instead of having a lot of the game done for you, just waiting for a shiny coat of paint, it would actually be a far bigger game design than the original.
I haven't played it but Ocarina of Time 3D does away with the pre-renders while still keeping the same camera angle.

ibqgefoucUUQGv.png

Of course, it's not a complete remake and it's also made for 3DS hardware but just saying...

BocoDragon

I haven't played it but Ocarina of Time 3D does away with the pre-renders while still keeping the same camera angle.

ibqgefoucUUQGv.png

Of course, it's not a complete remake and it's also made for 3DS hardware but just saying...
Of course you could do it. I just don't see them diving into a massive 3D rendered game with the same over-head perspective.

And if the camera is brought down to character level and full rotatable? Boom. You have 1000x more design work to think about. It's a brand new game you're essentially making then.

So much more than just rendering 3-4 pre-rendered Ocarina scenes in real time.

Remaking FFVII is the same thing as just making a whole new game, since none of the assets can be reused or anything

What you're saying is "I want Square to make a whole new FF, budget and everything, but to follow the exact storyline from 1997"

If our options are FFVII remake for the same cost as FFXVI, I'll take FFXVI thanks

ibqgefoucUUQGv.png

Nothing against OoT, but its pre-rendered backgrounds don't hold a candle to FF7's. There's a lot fewer of them, for one, and the ones in FF7 are bursting with gorgeous and intricate detail.

If our options are FFVII remake for the same cost as FFXVI, I'll take FFXVI thanks

This is the big sticking point for me. I'd play an HD FF7. Of course I would. But I'd rather play something completely new.

Rocky

Banned
Square Enix, you keep your grubby mitts off of Squaresoft's masterpiece.

Um, Squaresoft didn't make FF7, Square did. Squaresoft, for the most part was Square's western branch that handled localizations of Square's software. I think the only games they actually made were Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore.

BocoDragon

Remaking FFVII is the same thing as just making a whole new game, since none of the assets can be reused or anything

What you're saying is "I want Square to make a whole new FF, budget and everything, but to follow the exact storyline from 1997"

Well put.

BocoDragon

Um, Squaresoft didn't make FF7, Square did. Squaresoft, for the most part was Square's western branch that handled localizations of Square's software. I think the only games they actually made were Mystic Quest and Secret of Evermore.
Except Squaresoft was a brand in Japan too. I'm looking at my Super Famicom games right now, many of them say Squaresoft.

Square Co Ltd was the actual company name, so that's probably why you got this idea.

hohoXD123

Didn't verendus confirm that it was in early development but that SE didn't want another backlash for keeping fans waiting so were holding off on announcing anything?

No remake would stand a chance against the original games nostalgia. Everyone wants to recapture the feeling they had as a kid playing ff7, but I don't think a remake would give that. Instead, fans would hate all the ways it's different from the original. They would say it's lost its original charisma.
I know what your saying but its the truth. Current se is incapable of recapturing the charm ff7 had. Look how overly serious and dull most of the characters in xiii are. Do you really think they can do sections like the bumblebee inn or cloud cross dressing and not completely ruin the goofiness of that part of the game? How about cloud? Ff7 cloud is no where near as mopey and boring as every other version after him. He was cocky and talkative. Even after falling into his rut he came out of it and became the leader. Hes nothing like that now. Yea a new ff7 remake would be flashier and nicer but it would be all style no substance.

Evilmaus

FFVII is a product of it's time. As much as I love the game, for a remake to be meaningful, it would have to be so radically different from the original game that it would likely be almost unrecognisable, except for the plot.

I'd much rather Square Enix spent their time and resources trying to surpass FFVII, than make it all over again.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Like I mentioned earlier, they did this with FF6 and FF8.

FF6 during the N64 era

FF8 for the PS2 era

I'm pretty sure the reason they didn't do it again this time around is cause people assume they're game announcements now. So they likely didn't wanna set peoples hopes up for another remake of a FF on the PS4/XBone
Now we got people begging for Agni.

The broad range of tone the game has would never be able to be properly conveyed by current Square-enix in their realistic graphic style without coming off incredibly cheesy.

It would either be too serious or too obnoxious.

Do not want.

Rocky

Banned
Except Squaresoft was a brand in Japan too. I'm looking at my Super Famicom games right now, many of them say Squaresoft.

Square Co Ltd was the actual company name, so that's probably why you got this idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_%28company%29

Squaresoft, Inc. was established as the official North American subsidiary of Square in March 1989. It was responsible for both the production and distribution of North American localizations of Square titles during the 16-bit era, and continued to produce English language localizations of Square games in the 32-bit era. It has also been responsible for localizing a number of non-Square titles, including Capcom's Breath of Fire for the SNES and Sony's Wild Arms 3 for the PlayStation 2. It developed the game Secret of Evermore for the SNES. It is currently known as Square Enix, Inc. Square Soft's original headquarters were in Redmond, Washington, where it distributed its now-dead newsletter, the Ogopogo Examiner, but it was relocated to Costa Mesa, California in August 1996, where it remained until late 2005; as of 2006, Square Enix, Inc. is now located in El Segundo, California.

It was a publishing branch for NA. The SFC games you are referring to are probably Japanese versions of Secret of Evermore and Mystic Quest or something like that.

Yes first let them do remake for FF6 on PS4 then we talk 7.

FF6 remake would be far more amazing than FF7 remake

It certainly would. And FF6 has a much better story and main villain than FF7.

Astery

let me put myself in SE's shoe to answer ur q OP.
1st of all, that FF7 tech demo is a tech demo, it was never meant to be a remake.

2nd, and one of the important reason why you are not getting one- SE can release the same exact old FF7 for eternity and people like you will buy it and play it to death. Why should they even throw in millions to remake it when they can just put in relatively no effort and milk FF7 fans? the idea of spending millions to make a game look great again is not what business is all about.

BocoDragon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_%28company%29

It was a publishing branch for NA. The SFC games you are referring to are probably Japanese versions of Secret of Evermore and Mystic Quest or something like that.
Nope. It's on all of their Japanese releases from the SFC-PS2 days. Just google a few Japanese Square boxarts to confirm ... Even the Japanese FFVII.

It's clear that Squaresoft was their branding in all countries for a long time. It's not wrong to call the old version of the company Squaresoft.

I can't believe people want all of those resources put into a 15 year old game that we've already played countless times instead of making a new game like XV or XVI.

image.php

You can't believe people want to see a very successful 15 year old game remade, but you believe that a game that's been in development since 2007 that hasn't shown any new footage in years will eventually reach your console. That's a bit weird, if you ask me.

I think the reason why a lot of people want a remake is that unlike 6, VIII or IX, FF7 sits in an awkward place where it's the last great Final Fantasy game whose graphics haven't stood the test of time (even though personally I find them charming). IMO there's a lot more charm and character in FF7's big-headed "chibi" 3D models than there is in the recent FFs millions-of-poligons-waifus, but that's a topic for another discussion.

Another reason is perhaps because Square has proven a few times in a row already that they're incapable of producing new main-series Final Fantasy games that live up to the level of the "golden age" ones (their term, not mine)

HeelPower

I'd be okay with that too.
g9dLnZz.jpg

looks better than

final-fantasy-7-cloud-model-up-close.png
[

Actually no..its not better in anyway.

FF7 works as a whole.Its look , its localization, its music every thing is a perfect fit together.

The remake would result in a totally different game and,ultimately, not worth it.

Imo the Lego character models aged really well.Because ,well, they look like lego.

MormaPope

Banned

Yup yup yup.

It feels like people don't realize that remakes require a lot more energy, time, and money than simple remasterings.

too many people split from the DEV team. who would make it Square or SquareEnix? Therein lies the problem.

oh and Toriyama has said he wanted nothing to do with a remake iirc

Rocky

Banned
62161_640.jpg

Japanese FF7 with Squaresoft logo. Five seconds in Google.

You can stop being dickishly argumentative now.

And you can stop being dickishly condescending and insulting. And I don't see how I was being argumentative. I was just posting information I know.

Big One

Banned
All that'll end up happening is people would be crying about how much it sucks because it's basically an Advent Children style take on Final Fantasy VII, even if it happens to use the original text of the Japanese version of the game only translated to be more accurate.

And you can stop being dickishly condescending and insulting. And I don't see how I was being argumentative. I was just posting information I know.

You called somebody out for merely mentioning the name "Squaresoft" in passing and then told somebody else that his games don't actually have the logo he says they do. And you were wrong the whole time.

How is that not being a dick?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Maybe after FFXVI, they'll announce FFVII remake, and then release FFXVII, a completely different and remarkably updated fantasy.

B E L I E V E

Koozek

Well, according to Verendus it's already in development but the announcement is way off.

Even though FFVII is my all-time fave I still don't think a remake is necessary and it probably would lose a lot of its charm and quirkiness that wouldn't work with a realistic look otherwise. With the number of changes that would have to be done you could very well just make a new main-line title instead.
To be honest, I think FFXV is not that much less of an effort as a FFVII remake. With such a apparently huge open world and several big cities and villages is it really much more work than FFVII? I'd say it's similar. But as I said, I'd rather have that man-power be used for FFXVII (or FFXVI which is also already in development according to Verendus).

Top Bottom