• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Chukhopops

That’s the right decision in my opinion, especially for the PC market. With simultaneous releases they can sell for full price on Steam and get a better initial boost + word of mouth.

Not a big fan of modern SE game design but happy for the PC crowd.

Also when are they supposed to publish their results?

Last edited:
Would be hilarious if Square Enix becomes as a prominent member of Xbox showcases as Sega :messenger_tears_of_joy: But I guess they follow the same route as Sega at this point with various games hitting GP and launching as multiplats day 1 (where contracts allow).

Still find it hilarious that their profits were down when they released FF7R and Soapstars. Also I forgot they did release another game right?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Getting money for not putting the games or of PS seems to not get much of a benefit lol. I'll welcome then on PC of course 😉

H-I-M

I mean with the Switch 2 being around the corner and its future Japan monopoly, being rumored to be close to the Series S in raw power, it only makes sense to go multiplatform.

DAHGAMING

They want there games to look and play the best they can, to do that they realise that they must release there games on the most powerfull console in the world, the Microsoft Xbox Series X 💪💪💪.

Boneless

1tVq5AR.jpeg

See you in 10 or 20 years.

Rather than true to the original, that example raped the original.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Make good games people want.

Stop rotting away with the timed exclusion nonsense.

Throw your NFTs into your local dumpster. Oh man when they came out with Symbiogenesis and it had no relation to Parasite Eve at all. What a sad joke.

MH3M3D

MS, Sony and Nintendo need to do this as well. Whatever money they lose from being exclusive would surely made back (and more) by selling their games on all possible platforms anyway. Plus you reduce the risks of selling a game to a smaller market. But NO they all want to be Apple and have a walled garden.

Last edited:

Hudo

With sales being so abysmal on Xbox I mean it's hard to tell 🤷🏿‍♂️
I mean, maybe they meant Xbox in the context of putting some shit on GamePass or so. Who knows. But I rather think that they're aiming for PS5 and PC parity as well as the next Nintendo system, whenever that's feasible.

But I also won't expect part 3 of the FF7 Remake to already fall under this new mantra since that deal has been signed long ago. But maybe FF17 and DQ12 will be day-one multiplat releases.

Good move. Gen z aint buying these games. Might as well maximise exposure. I dont want a gimped Final Fantasy Vii Retelling part 3.

Gojiira

Banned
You have no clue of how interesting it is for SEGA/Atlus to release these games on Xbox. This is purely speculation on your part. You are not factoring in money made through Game Pass, and you are not including the advantages provided by marketing through Xbox. You also think that Xbox aren't going to do anything while we know there is a show coming in June. Do you really expect them to not offer some new incentive to invest in their ecosystem ? There are good chances they have some new hardware coming.
As proven by the FTC case, Xbox ‘incentives’ are nowhere near as good as the ones offered by Sony when securing any kind of deal…So advantages for marketing or money made through game pass is literally negligible when it still makes more money on other platform no matter what…Regardless of whether they have a June showcase or new hardware coming, it doesnt change the fact that just about every game sells better elsewhere…

BlackTron

MS, Sony and Nintendo need to do this as well. Whatever money they lose from being exclusive would surely made back (and more) by selling their games on all possible platforms anyway. Plus you reduce the risks of selling a game to a smaller market. But NO they all want to be Apple and have a walled garden.

Xbox already does this, you should compare their financial results to Nintendo. Sony is next in line to castrate themselves, unless they are lucky enough to completely disenfranchise PC gamers.

Fabieter

I would argue that nintendo is apple of gaming.

leizzra

I don't think that exclusives for Sony are the problem (PlayStation and Nintendo are probably where most of their target clients are). Rather the games itself. Even if FFVII remakes are good (and I think they are) they can be weird for western gamers. Then we have some bad games as well.

Square problem is an identity one, with nothing to do with exclusivity. FF7 saga would never launch on Nintendo due to technological limitations and would never sell on XBOX, so it's only PC missing. It will eventually launch there, too.

And no, some games must be exclusive because Sony invests heavily in their development like in Death Stranding, Stellar Blade, Helldivers, among many others. This should be common sense.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And then in a few years, they change it all back when they see the Xbox sales numbers.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
Not releasing FF7 Remake(a game famous for its story and not necessarily its gameplay) on PC day and date was leaving the money on table imho. Now everyone know how it ends so why bother buying the game full price or even on discount at all. Let's see would that be the case for the final game.

BlackTron

Its transitioning. Thats not same as cratering. Where it ends up remains to be seen.

I feel so bad for you guys. Your hope and devotion is commendable even when your discernment of reality isn't.

We already know Xbox is cratering; that's been happening for years. The only question that remains is whether Microsoft wishes to keep it on life support by throwing money at it. Recent events appear to suggest that the answer to that question is "no", making the future viability of the platform for third parties a genuine question. In other words, it's shaky. Has nothing to do with personal feelings.

Methos#1975

What will really change? 95% of the SE releases of the past few years have been multiplats and still underperformed and sold significantly less on PC and Xbox. Reality is that JRPGs are simply in decline and console gaming nearly dead in Japan and that is SEs bread and butter.

squarealex

Happy to see FF17 more ugly than FF15 bc "muh Switch 2 release".

Dragon Quest XI S was already a big mistake to keep Switch graphics

Last edited:
I feel so bad for you guys. Your hope and devotion is commendable even when your discernment of reality isn't.

We already know Xbox is cratering; that's been happening for years. The only question that remains is whether Microsoft wishes to keep it on life support by throwing money at it. Recent events appear to suggest that the answer to that question is "no", making the future viability of the platform for third parties a genuine question. In other words, it's shaky. Has nothing to do with personal feelings.
It’s cratering for years.

Any minute now !!!

demonstr8

Square problem is an identity one, with nothing to do with exclusivity. FF7 saga would never launch on Nintendo due to technological limitations and would never sell on XBOX, so it's only PC missing. It will eventually launch there, too.
This is the take. What can they really do any differently than they are already that will guarantee a better profit for them?

Their last tentpole release was Rebirth. The Switch could in no way run Rebirth. I doubt that the cost of the port to XBSX would have made a ROI with it's sales because Microsoft has conditioned their consumer base so badly not to purchase games because of Gamepass. Launching Rebirth on PC might have netted them some good sales upfront but the Remake port was so terrible that even speed runners use the PS5 version and single player games without forced online only still have a large percentage of potential sales being pirated instead. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it but also the more platforms you release on simultaneously usually results in worse quality and performance for the game on all platforms - most recently Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes whereas exclusive games for PS/Nintendo/PC are usually greatly optimised although it's silly to compare PC to the other two.

SE's problem is their output. Where is Nier 3? Where is Dragon Quest XII? How long will it take for Kingdom Hearts IV to release? Capcom was mentioned earlier in the thread and they are doing it right - all platforms, all tentpole releases, all very high quality while also at least trying to develop new IP inbetween - SE must learn to understand that behaviour and imitate it. All 3rd party publishers do unless they get gobbled up and well then none of it matters anymore.

Astray

This is the take. What can they really do any differently than they are already that will guarantee a better profit for them?
They need to choose between fidelity and JRPG gameplay, you can't have both in the modern market.

That's not to mention the issues with FF as a franchise.

Darsxx82

With sales being so abysmal on Xbox I mean it's hard to tell 🤷🏿‍♂️

When these exclusivity agreements were signed, the situation was very different from the current one. Not to mention that there is no explanation for the absence of a day one version on PC, for example.
A feeling that the platform is cratering.

Then feeling can be different from reality.....

Reality tells you that ALL publishers and Studios have seen/see it interesting to launch their games on XBOX and that the only absences are those when Sony's money makes an appearance so preventing an XBOX version.

That is to say, perhaps the feeling should be to wonder why this situation occurs. And the logic answer is simple, because it means that XBOX (for one reason or another) can be a platform for which launching games is profitable/interesting.

In fact, you have an explanation from the new head of Square himself explaining the reason for the move to multiplatformity and the benefits of also launching games on certain platforms even if these are not where the majority of sales are going to focus:

In summary

-The ports are not expensive to make

-Larger potential user base

-More visibility and free marketing due to the need of platform owners to show that Square's game is on their platform and that favors sales in general (SEGA, Capcom say the same). He even gave the graphic example of the game in which a platform owner (clearly indicating Xbox) puts up a huge advertising billboard in the center of New York promoting the game, YouTube, medias and that helps increase visibility on the rest of the platforms as well. Not to mention the possibilities of making profits or offset development costs also in subsequent launches in subscription services.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It’s cratering for years.

Any minute now !!!

This might be more literally true than you think because like I said, it doesn't seem like MS is willing to artificially keep the ship from sinking by pumping money into it anymore. We appear to have reached that tipping point shortly after ABK.

cireza

Good news for their PC releases going forwards.

It given the option I would have got FF16 on PC day one given the performance on PS5.

Edit: everyone gather round and witness cireza cireza crying. Please support him during these tough times.
Oh you poor thing, you had to edit your post because you couldn't endure my lol emoji. That's so cute.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Oh you poor thing, you had to edit your post because you couldn't endure my lol emoji. That's so cute.

Well I didn't say anything funny so I can only assume you're crying.

Just worried about your mental state, that's all.

Top Bottom