• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Lupin25

When these exclusivity agreements were signed, the situation was very different from the current one. Not to mention that there is no explanation for the absence of a day one version on PC, for example.

Then feeling can be different from reality.....

Reality tells you that ALL publishers and Studios have seen/see it interesting to launch their games on XBOX and that the only absences are those when Sony's money makes an appearance so preventing an XBOX version.

That is to say, perhaps the feeling should be to wonder why this situation occurs. And the logic answer is simple, because it means that XBOX (for one reason or another) can be a platform for which launching games is profitable/interesting.

In fact, you have an explanation from the new head of Square himself explaining the reason for the move to multiplatformity and the benefits of also launching games on certain platforms even if these are not where the majority of sales are going to focus:

In summary

-The ports are not expensive to make

-Larger potential user base

-More visibility and free marketing due to the need of platform owners to show that Square's game is on their platform and that favors sales in general (SEGA, Capcom say the same). He even gave the graphic example of the game in which a platform owner (clearly indicating Xbox) puts up a huge advertising billboard in the center of New York promoting the game, YouTube, medias and that helps increase visibility on the rest of the platforms as well. Not to mention the possibilities of making profits or offset development costs also in subsequent launches in subscription services.

They would’ve tried selling on Xb the whole time if that were the case. SE won’t get much profit from Xb ports or gamepass.

PC & NSW Super should be on the table day 1 going forward though, no excuse.

Markio128

FF17 will use the Switch 2 as the main platform.
By the time FF17 is released, the Switch 2 would likely be obsolete.

The most likely scenario is ports of FF16, and a triple pack of FF7 remake once the 3rd instalment has been released, on all consoles/PC.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

This might be more literally true than you think because like I said, it doesn't seem like MS is willing to artificially keep the ship from sinking by pumping money into it anymore. We appear to have reached that tipping point shortly after ABK.
Well, you have a presentation with P. Spencer together with the new Boss of Square accompanied by the most important/prominent figure in the development of FF games at Square's biggest event of the year a little over 1'5 month ago announcing greater collaboration and the arrival of more big games from Square to Xbox (and practically anticipating FF ports)..... I don't think that agreement has been broken overnight.
They would’ve tried selling on Xb the whole time if that were the case. SE won’t get much profit from Xb ports or gamepass.

PC & NSW Super should be on the table day 1 going forward though, no excuse.
Of course, and that is why only the FF games purchased by Sony are the only ones that have not reached Xbox versions and that is why Square has announced that more games will come to Xbox, abandoning exclusivity agreements.....🤔

Then look at Capcom, Sega, Bandai, Atlus etc... and ask them why they are releasing their games on XBOX if there is supposedly not a single incentive to do so🤔

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Happy to see FF17 more ugly than FF15 bc "muh Switch 2 release".

Dragon Quest XI S was already a big mistake to keep Switch graphics
DQ XI was a huge success for SE on the Switch in terms of sales. The issue is that as always with SE they took a shortcut and didn’t have better textures and audio available for PC and PS4 (and Xbox if it released there).

Same ol G

Maybe don't make your mainline games platform exclusive.
The writing was on the wall with this one but they kept at it.
I wonder what kind of Sony fanboy was making these decisions cause it sure as hell wasn't with profitabilty in mind.

cireza

Well I didn't say anything funny so I can only assume you're crying.

Just worried about your mental state, that's all.
My mental state doesn't drive me to editing a message because someone put a lol emoji on it.

Looks like Rebirth's disappointing sales aren't going unnoticed.
They said this a while ago on stage at that FFXIV event, but didn't add "aggressively" until now. It's pretty much every exclusive this whole gen underperforming for them, including FFXVI. Plainly obvious to everyone for years. Each entry is decreasing in sales. Multiple people pointed this out for years.

Lupin25

Well, you have a presentation with P. Spencer together with the new Boss of Square accompanied by the most important/prominent figure in the development of FF games at Square's biggest event of the year a little over 1'5 month ago announcing greater collaboration and the arrival of more big games from Square to Xbox (and practically anticipating FF ports)..... I don't think that agreement has been broken overnight.

Of course, and that is why only the FF games purchased by Sony are the only ones that have not reached Xbox versions and that is why Square has announced that more games will come to Xbox, abandoning exclusivity agreements.....🤔

Then look at Capcom, Sega, Bandai, Atlus etc... and ask them why they are releasing their games on XBOX if there is supposedly not a single incentive to do so🤔

I meant profit. MS foots the bill for a few games, but how much does SE actually make in return, while other consumers wait for them on gamepass?

SE’s financial report suggests they’re not doing that bad, but “growth” since Covid-19, is a big problem.

“In terms of net sales from video games, Square Enix saw an increase of approx. 1.06% year-on-year from $1.57 billion to $1.59 billion(approximate figures due to currency conversion from YEN to USD). The company sold 26.32 million units in total compared to FY23's 20.19 million units.”
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/24q4slides.pdf

A game like Foamstars also isn’t helping them either. SE can’t afford to have throwaway titles and say, “well, the problem is mostly exclusivity..” They need more games to invest in outside of FF.

Their pipeline isn't as tenable as Capcom’s who have RE, Monster Hunter, Dragon’s Dogma, etc.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Foamstars, Forspoken, Babylon's Fall, and Valkyrie Elysium also bombed.

That’s another big part. Can’t release games of mediocre (at best) quality either. The FF titles the past few years have been bangers, but stuff like Forspoken and Babylon’s Fall heavily contribute to their overall rep being in the toilet.

GHG

Gold Member
My mental state doesn't drive me to editing a message because someone put a lol emoji on it.

Oh sorry, would you have preferred I type out a brand new post just for you?

Don't worry, just remember we are all here for you when the inevitable happens.

Last edited:

foamdino

This is 100% about the switch2 launching next year. A new device that has the fidelity of PS4+ (with DLSS) and snappy loading and decent ram. Yeah *many many* more of the Square titles will fit more easily on that than on the old switch.

Anything released on the switch2 in it's launch year will also sell gangbusters - you'd have to be a fool not to support it out of the gate.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I played 20 mins of the FFXVI demo and decided to wait for PC after witnessing that terrible performance. Now Ill wait til it’s on Steam and under $20. It would also help if Square made better AAA games. The last big budget game they made that I really enjoyed was Nier Automata.

Fabieter

Foamstars, Forspoken, Babylon's Fall, and Valkyrie Elysium also bombed.

Babylonia fall and forspoken were also on pc. Didn't save anything. Most of their aa games were on xbox and switch.

They had a 2 big ps exclusives and a few smaller switch exclusives. I wouldn't even say the quality isn't there. They just don't know how to market their games the right way.

Do you think they would have sold better as exclusives?
I'm not claiming they're amazing games. I'm just saying they were console exclusives, and they bombed. I have to play the game for myself to judge. I would have definitely purchased Valkyrie Elysium on Xbox since it's made by Soleil. Forspoken, I'd pick it up on a sale. Even discount sales are sales. PC sells most stuff at a discount for years.

Last edited:
Leaving PC out is the dumb choice. Nintendo would be a huge benefit but then you have the weak hardware problem. Which means you'll need to make a whole different watered down version. Xbox? Lol. Brand is in a laughable state. Its barely worth porting games to it at this point.

Kssio_Aug

I don't understand why these suckers only realized that now!

Star Wars Dummy GIF by MOODMAN

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I played 20 mins of the FFXVI demo and decided to wait for PC after witnessing that terrible performance. Now Ill wait til it’s on Steam and under $20. It would also help if Square made better AAA games. The last big budget game they made that I really enjoyed was Nier Automata.

If they ever put 16 on Xbox, the better VRR will work wonders for the Performance mode. As it is, it drops to the mid to low 40's far too often to be viable on PS5's limited VRR range.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
I'm not claiming they're amazing games. I'm just saying they were console exclusives, and they bombed. I have to play the game for myself to judge. I would have definitely purchased Valkyrie Elysium on Xbox since it's made by Soleil. Forspoken, I'd pick it up on a sale. Even discount sales are sales. PC sells most stuff at a discount for years.

Valkyrie Elysium isn't on Xbox yet? Sorry, just ignore that comment, it is hard to keep track of what Square keeps exclusive and what they don't!

I have a hard time believing they can ship a well optimized game day one on PC.

The multiplatform day one release sounds good in theory but good luck shipping a well optimized AAA game across all platforms on day one. They could barely do this with FF16 when it is PS5 exclusive.

They got to make sure the quality is there across the board.

Hope everyone on here now realizes how hard they got gaslit by Sony fanboys anytime it was pointed out that sales were even slightly disappointing.
Well we can put it at rest that "FF is a system seller" considering that it cannot even sell itself :messenger_tears_of_joy: But I welcome Persona overlords.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Good. Less of this timed exclusivity nonsense is better for gamers.

Babylonia fall and forspoken were also on pc. Didn't save anything. Most of their aa games were on xbox and switch.

They had a 2 big ps exclusives and a few smaller switch exclusives. I wouldn't even say the quality isn't there. They just don't know how to market their games the right way.

Babylons Fall and Forspoken were poorly received. Mediocre games are rarely going to "save anything" regardless what platform they are on. Going fully multiplatform makes the most sense to generate the maximum amount of revenue.

Yeah so... the big money and brand recognition is in the mainline games that are platform exclusive and also didn't those games review poorly?
A game reviewing poorly means even more reason to put it on everything since you embargo reviews to day of, and can get pre-orders then. But hey, it's not my company. SQEX will do what they want to do.

Fabieter

Hope everyone on here now realizes how hard they got gaslit by Sony fanboys anytime it was pointed out that sales were even slightly disappointing.

That doesnt mean either ff did that much damage to them. You know that all their AA ain't exactly cheap either and they did alot of them the last few years, most of them on multiple platforms. To say this is completely on exclusives is stupid.

LordCBH

That doesnt mean either ff did that much damage to them. You know that all their AA ain't exactly cheap either and they did alot of them the last few years, most of them on multiple platforms. To say this is completely on exclusives is stupid.

They also recently canceled a lot of internal projects, which is part of why they had such poor results.

To say this is completely on exclusives is stupid.
I didn't ever say that. I think SQEX has numerous problems.

Putting your A-team on a decade long slow motion remake will go down as possibly the dumbest decision in the history of the company. A few of their AA games suck, but most of them are actually fantastic. Even the great ones though, they released way too close together. The list goes on. It's a really strange company.

Last edited:
Top Bottom