• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

Fabieter

They also recently canceled a lot of internal projects, which is part of why they had such poor results.

Yes this one is definitely too true. That was like 150m$ which eats big time in the profits of a company the size of sqaure enix.

Anyway we will lose most of the AA games on the way to the truly multiplatform sqaure enix. They will need every hand on deck to make sure the quality is there for all the platforms.

Dane

"they won't sell shit on xbox"

Lol, FFXIII and 15 sold bonkers on Xbox to the point of being reprinted to death on Platinum Hits, even KH3 sold on a similar ratio to PS4 at launch. Square should be worried that they have alienated both Xbox and PC players as Final Fantasy rivals such as Persona found new homes on both platforms and Switch, they don't have the 80% marketshare of JRPG anymore.

LordCBH

Anyway we will lose most of the AA games

Shame too. Ive mostly enjoyed a lot of those AA efforts. The SO2 one, stuff like Diofield and Octopath. I’ll miss those. I’m also assuming the DQHD2D remakes are cancelled too sadly….

Last edited:

Fabieter

Shame too. Ive mostly enjoyed a lot of those AA efforts. The SO2 one, stuff like Diofield and Octopath. I’ll miss those. I’m also assuming the DQHD2D remakes are cancelled too sadly….

Someone from sqaure enix said that people have no idea those 2.5hd game really are. He said something that it doesnt really cheaper than 3d games tho. So all in all, people seem less interested in sqaure enix games overall which a multiplatform strategy will help, but something has to give. They won't just add all platforms to all releases and call it a day. That's not happening.

Topher

Gold Member
Shame too. One mostly enjoyed a lot of those AA efforts. The SO2 one, stuff like Diofield and Octopath. I’ll miss those. I’m also assuming the DQHD2D remakes are cancelled too sadly….

SE isn't saying they will only make AAA games going forward. They are shifting from "quantity to quality". That means fewer titles across the board but they say they want to increase their "success rate" on the smaller titles.

LordCBH

Someone from sqaure enix said that people have no idea those 2.5hd game really are. He said something that it doesnt really cheaper than 3d games tho. So all in all, people seem less interested in sqaure enix games overall which a multiplatform strategy will help, but something has to give. They won't just add all platforms to all releases and call it a day. That's not happening.

100%. Will def miss their smaller titles though.

Fabieter

100%. Will def miss their smaller titles though.

The quality was already there with those games and they were on most platforms so the only way to raise 📈 is by doing marketing (without exclusives from Nintendo and sony) they will have to pay more and more on marketing which will makes it even harder for those smaller games. They won't disappear completely, but I won't accept as much as before even for the good ones. All games day and date means they need alot of more people making sure that everything is right with all platforms.

The quality was already there with those games and they were on most platforms so the only way to raise 📈 is by doing marketing (without exclusives from Nintendo and sony) they will have to pay more and more on marketing which will makes it even harder for those smaller games. They won't disappear completely, but I won't accept as much as before even for the good ones. All games day and date means they need alot of more people making sure that everything is right with all platforms.
Their budgeting sucks. Small indie teams are soon going to be making stuff that looks like that. Sea of Stars should be a wakeup call for their whole operation.

Dr_Ifto

Lol, FFXIII and 15 sold bonkers on Xbox to the point of being reprinted to death on Platinum Hits, even KH3 sold on a similar ratio to PS4 at launch. Square should be worried that they have alienated both Xbox and PC players as Final Fantasy rivals such as Persona found new homes on both platforms and Switch, they don't have the 80% marketshare of JRPG anymore.
Those were before gamepass.

Sorry but sea of stars isnt in the same ballpark as octopath 2, by along shot tho. The writing was soo bad I couldn't even finish it and just got a pass because its indie.
I feel like you skim what I'm writing and then claim I said things I didn't. I didn't say Sea of Stars is on the same level as Octopath. I said soon, indies will catch up to the HD-2D stuff. It's actually cheaper to make the 3D assets than all pixel art. Sea of Stars is evidence that they are catching up fast, with a much smaller team and sold for a discount price.

I've been telling people for months that Sony no longer cares about 3rd party exclusives and that I don't think we'll see them moving forward. Anything already planned or paid for is one thing, but it makes zero sense for them to pay 100s of millions on exclusives when Xbox is dead.

I'm sure they want Dragon Quest on PS5, but it not being exclusive no longer makes or breaks sony in the long run. It makes sense to put it on Switch and PS5.

If Switch has BC, it'll be interesting to see how many cross gen games it gets. I think it'll struggle to sell as well at 400 dollars, so I could see developers simply creating enhanced versions for Switch 2 and allowing BC to do its thing.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Ya'll crazy.

Sony don't need to pay for exclusivity anymore, xbox aren't playing the same game.

Trust me, if Xbox was still considered a threat, Sony and Square would still be bedfellows.

Only someone who believes theres two places to play videogames would even post this.
Even Sony themselves have realized this.

sony-doubles-down-removing-helldivers-2-from-sale-in-177-v0-6dk0d50asoyc1.jpeg

Fabieter

I feel like you skim what I'm writing and then claim I said things I didn't. I didn't say Sea of Stars is on the same level as Octopath. I said soon, indies will catch up to the HD-2D stuff. It's actually cheaper to make the 3D assets than all pixel art. Sea of Stars is evidence that they are catching up fast, with a much smaller team and sold for a discount price.

Well imo sea of stars isn't remotely close so I don't see it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Most of their games are multiplatform already, including the PC, and Xbox, well who knows. If anything this is about their top level games moving onto Switch 2.

Well imo sea of stars isn't remotely close so I don't see it.
That's fine, I've read some people on here that hated it who I normally agree with. Personally, I was blown away by it. Nearly every screen has some small traversal element that makes it interesting almost like Landstalker or something. Combat was good, with great balancing and some more challenging fights later on. Story was pretty good, with multiple smaller side stories. Several of the party members have cool back stories. Pacing was good. And they managed to keep it under 35 hours which is the sweet spot. I think the music was the weakspot. I can't even remember the last time SQEX designed an actual puzzle like this game has at multiple spots, like that water elevator temple. The level design is light years ahead.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I’ve been saying for months that the exclusivity fucked them. AAA Gaming is way too expensive and risky these days to be an exclusive, only a few IPs can get away with it. Final Fantasy doesn’t carry nearly the same level of popularity it once had. If they had continued to cultivate the Xbox and PC audience after FFXV by releasing Remake, XVI, and Rebirth on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC all at launch, they’d be in a much better place.

This new strategy sounds great on paper, but they’re starting at square one here. They haven’t built a stable audience on Xbox, PC and Nintendo. So if they’re going to pursue this it’s going to take some growing pains and I hope they’re prepared for that.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Wandering Sword is an example of a similar 2.5D game that has caught up to Square in quality. Indie developers can certainly do it.

splattered

Maybe they know something about Sony and Microsoft that we don't? Shrug. Maybe we will see FF remakes finally hitting Xbox in the June Showcase?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Not having your game day one on PC, hurts PC sales. No way around that. The exclusive money isn't worth missing out on that many day one full price purchases. You make PC players wait a year or more and they'll just wait even longer at that point until they see it on sale or deep discount.

Explain countless games that come to
PC later and do well

Fabieter

That's fine, I've read some people on here that hated it who I normally agree with. Personally, I was blown away by it. Nearly every screen has some small traversal element that makes it interesting almost like Landstalker or something. Combat was good, with great balancing and some more challenging fights later on. Story was pretty good, with multiple smaller side stories. Several of the party members have cool back stories. Pacing was good. And they managed to keep it under 35 hours which is the sweet spot. I think the music was the weakspot. I can't even remember the last time SQEX designed an actual puzzle like this game has at multiple spots, like that water elevator temple. The level design is light years ahead.

Well on paper it should have been great but characters and story completely killed it for me. The graphics are great for an indie tho. It's ironic that you didn't like the ost as much because it was partly made by an old sqaure enix veteran.

Ozriel

M$FT
By the time FF17 is released, the Switch 2 would likely be obsolete.

The most likely scenario is ports of FF16, and a triple pack of FF7 remake once the 3rd instalment has been released, on all consoles/PC.

Nah. If you assume a 2028/2029 release, The Switch 2 will just be 4 years in the market at the time and will still be getting ports of AAA titles.

It’ll also undoubtedly be the Main platform for Japanese games by then.

I have a hard time believing they can ship a well optimized game day one on PC.

The multiplatform day one release sounds good in theory but good luck shipping a well optimized AAA game across all platforms on day one. They could barely do this with FF16 when it is PS5 exclusive.

A ton of multiplatform devs manage to do this just fine.
When games are being built from the ground up with Switch 2 in mind, I suspect PC ports will be less stressful on hardware.

Well on paper it should have been great but characters and story completely killed it for me. The graphics are great for an indie tho. It's ironic that you didn't like the ost as much because it was partly made by an old sqaure enix veteran.
I'm aware. I think he just did a few tracks. I listened to see which ones he does specifically. A lot of the music sucks from the other guy. It sucked in The Messenger as well.

Guilty_AI

Their budgeting sucks. Small indie teams are soon going to be making stuff that looks like that. Sea of Stars should be a wakeup call for their whole operation.
Honestly, there should have been multiple wake up calls by now. 3D, 2D, 2.5D, i've seen sooo many games throughout the years with that level of visual quality done by teams and budgets a fraction of Square Enix's.

6wagx4eb66571.png
WitchSpringR-1_2048x.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Ftech-blog%2Famid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites%2FAxe-walk-e6e283d19129ae5e6d903c1bab0554c0a5a533c3.gif

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I meant profit.

Not everything has to be profit. Sometimes it is interesting for other reasons that also lead to better ROI and more sales. The boss of Sqyare himself has described them.
MS foots the bill for a few games, but how much does SE actually make in return, while other consumers wait for them on gamepass?
I don't think MS has used wallet money for each and every game released on XBOX. The games that Square has released on XBOX have clearly been made because they have seen interest in do it, as do each and every game publisher. I don't think anyone doubts that if Sony had not paid for the FF exclusivity, these would also have come out on XSeries.

SE’s financial report suggests they’re not doing that bad, but “growth” since Covid-19, is a big problem.

“In terms of net sales from video games, Square Enix saw an increase of approx. 1.06% year-on-year from $1.57 billion to $1.59 billion(approximate figures due to currency conversion from YEN to USD). The company sold 26.32 million units in total compared to FY23's 20.19 million units.”
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/24q4slides.pdf

All companies have problems growing right now. From the moment in which to grow you need to sell more and more expensively. That is why publishers are turning towards multiplatformity to reach a larger user base. Reaching more users on more platforms not only translates into greater sales, but also greater visibility and free marketing.

Then, not only is it not growing, it is that profits have fallen sharply by almost 26-30% in the Q where FFVII rebrith launches. This announcement of betting "aggressively" on multiplatformity has a reason. And it is clear that the exclusivity agreements have not had the result they believed.
https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/pdf/24q4slides.pdf
A game like Foamstars also isn’t helping them either. SE can’t afford to have throwaway titles and say, “well, the problem is mostly exclusivity..” They need more games to invest in outside of FF.

The fact is that they surely know that it would be even more difficult for them to be successful with a new IP. It's not that Forspoken has been a success either. Foamastars has been nonsense in all aspects.
Their pipeline isn't as tenable as Capcom’s who have RE, Monster Hunter, Dragon’s Dogma, etc.

Capcom went through its bad times a few years ago and saw what the best path was. It's in Square's power to do it. It has good and large IPs that could be made better use of.

Impotaku

I can’t be the only one that’s totally sick of final fantasy. For a series that has final in its title they sure do love to milk the ever loving fuck out of it. At one point they were fun but not any more they all start to blend into each other.

Time for SE to make some new stuff to mix things up.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I've been telling people for months that Sony no longer cares about 3rd party exclusives and that I don't think we'll see them moving forward. Anything already planned or paid for is one thing, but it makes zero sense for them to pay 100s of millions on exclusives when Xbox is dead.

I'm sure they want Dragon Quest on PS5, but it not being exclusive no longer makes or breaks sony in the long run. It makes sense to put it on Switch and PS5.

If Switch has BC, it'll be interesting to see how many cross gen games it gets. I think it'll struggle to sell as well at 400 dollars, so I could see developers simply creating enhanced versions for Switch 2 and allowing BC to do its thing.
Ohh nice the failure predictions starting for the switch 2 now?

Last edited:

Fabieter

Honestly, there should have been multiple wake up calls by now. 3D, 2D, 2.5D, i've seen sooo many games throughout the years with that level of visual quality done by teams and budgets a fraction of Square Enix's.

6wagx4eb66571.png
WitchSpringR-1_2048x.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Ftech-blog%2Famid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites%2FAxe-walk-e6e283d19129ae5e6d903c1bab0554c0a5a533c3.gif

So this games are more graphical impressive to you than stuff like octopath?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I can’t be the only one that’s totally sick of final fantasy. For a series that has final in its title they sure do love to milk the ever loving fuck out of it. At one point they were fun but not any more they all start to blend into each other.

Time for SE to make some new stuff to mix things up.
If you think 13, 14, 15, 16, or 7R look at all similar or “blend together” you have issues with your eyes. Quality can be debated heavily on it, but they are not at all similar to each other.

Neofire

I mean, maybe they meant Xbox in the context of putting some shit on GamePass or so. Who knows. But I rather think that they're aiming for PS5 and PC parity as well as the next Nintendo system, whenever that's feasible.

But I also won't expect part 3 of the FF7 Remake to already fall under this new mantra since that deal has been signed long ago. But maybe FF17 and DQ12 will be day-one multiplat releases.
I also don't want any game being held back because of the Switch and that's in addition to much longer development times because of multiple platforms. Which the FF7 rebirth project leader mentioned several times.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

6wagx4eb66571.png
WitchSpringR-1_2048x.jpg

The real wakeup call should’ve been BG3. Huge sales and won GOTY by staying true to its roots and feeling modern at the same time. SE had this idea in its head that every game needs to have you mashing the X button while particle effects fill the screen and everyone does cartwheels to be considered a modern game.

Guilty_AI

Not more or less since its different styles, but in the same ballpark of quality. From having the proper artistic cohesion and beauty to the quality of the assets used, as well as attention to detail.

Last edited:

Neofire

When these exclusivity agreements were signed, the situation was very different from the current one. Not to mention that there is no explanation for the absence of a day one version on PC, for example.

Then feeling can be different from reality.....

Reality tells you that ALL publishers and Studios have seen/see it interesting to launch their games on XBOX and that the only absences are those when Sony's money makes an appearance so preventing an XBOX version.

That is to say, perhaps the feeling should be to wonder why this situation occurs. And the logic answer is simple, because it means that XBOX (for one reason or another) can be a platform for which launching games is profitable/interesting.

In fact, you have an explanation from the new head of Square himself explaining the reason for the move to multiplatformity and the benefits of also launching games on certain platforms even if these are not where the majority of sales are going to focus:

In summary

-The ports are not expensive to make

-Larger potential user base

-More visibility and free marketing due to the need of platform owners to show that Square's game is on their platform and that favors sales in general (SEGA, Capcom say the same). He even gave the graphic example of the game in which a platform owner (clearly indicating Xbox) puts up a huge advertising billboard in the center of New York promoting the game, YouTube, medias and that helps increase visibility on the rest of the platforms as well. Not to mention the possibilities of making profits or offset development costs also in subsequent launches in subscription services.
Who told you ports aren't expensive to make? Site the sources please. I've been waiting on this information when individuals pull this talking point out.

I love the Octopath games, and in particular Triangle Strategy. All I'm pointing out is that they're going to keep getting squeezed further. Compare it to Metroid Dread coming out for $60 in a world where indies can make a metroidvania for $20. Nintendo put out a straight 10/10 best of all time in the genre type of game, and it still only sells around 2 million. The example in the bottom pic is fitting since it's combining 3D assets with 2D characters. Small teams are going to be able to do this stuff for cheap and add a bunch of bloom to it and visual effects in Unreal. Look at something like Tinykin (this was only a $20 game).

Last edited:
poor Square Enix. The amount of money it will make on Xbox will be negligible, maybe with the Switch things will change and on PC it's a blow. The problem is that they have suck for so many years, that they have destroyed the legacy of Final Fantasy (the most important IP), and take too long to make sub part games.

Markio128

Nah. If you assume a 2028/2029 release, The Switch 2 will just be 4 years in the market at the time and will still be getting ports of AAA titles.

It’ll also undoubtedly be the Main platform for Japanese games by then.

A ton of multiplatform devs manage to do this just fine.
When games are being built from the ground up with Switch 2 in mind, I suspect PC ports will be less stressful on hardware.
It’s been 7 years between the last two mainline entries. I don’t see shorter dev times happening anytime soon, so I’d be more inclined to believe it will release much later than 2029. We’ll be lucky to get the final instalment to FF7 by 2029.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Hope everyone on here now realizes how hard they got gaslit by Sony fanboys anytime it was pointed out that sales were even slightly disappointing.

I didn't ever say that. I think SQEX has numerous problems.

Putting your A-team on a decade long slow motion remake will go down as possibly the dumbest decision in the history of the company. A few of their AA games suck, but most of them are actually fantastic. Even the great ones though, they released way too close together. The list goes on. It's a really strange company.

Yeah but their AA games may have bombed worse, we don’t know.

And secondly, FF16 and 7R haven’t released on other platforms yet, and when they do it will give a further boost to sales

Square took a very beneficial deal with Sony that guaranteed a baseline level of success and mitigated a lot of risk. It also allowed them to still monetize the games on other platforms later

The truth is that Sony has no need to make similar deals in the future with Xbox going third party, hence why they are suddenly “changing strategies” because Sony isn’t offering them

Guilty_AI

The real wakeup call should’ve been BG3. Huge sales and won GOTY by staying true to its roots and feeling modern at the same time. SE had this idea in its head that every game needs to have you mashing the X button while particle effects fill the screen and everyone does cartwheels to be considered a modern game.
I think BG3 (and Elden Ring in fact) are interesting cases to look upon because they both involve a developer super focusing on an specific formula and improving it over the good part of a decade. I think they make good cases on how to do AAA properly. Start small, conquer a public, slowly scale up the budget as you refine the formula throughout the years.

Unfortunately not something short-sighted corporations who can't see past the next quarter could comprehend. They'll just look at these games and think "souls-like sell!" or "lets include bear-fucking on our next game!".

Last edited:

Fabieter

I love the Octopath games, and in particular Triangle Strategy. All I'm pointing out is that they're going to keep getting squeezed further. Compare it to Metroid Dread coming out for $60 in a world where indies can make a metroidvania for $20. Nintendo put out a straight 10/10 best of all time in the genre type of game, and it still only sells around 2 million. The example in the bottom pic is fitting since it's combining 3D assets with 2D characters. Small teams are going to be able to do this stuff for cheap and add a bunch of bloom to it and visual effects in Unreal. Look at something like Tinykin.

And everything will look the same if they have the time and money to build it the right way. I still don't see most indie games building easy aaa games even with the powerful tools they have right now.

Not more or less since its different styles, but in the same ballpark of quality. From having the proper artistic cohesion and beauty to the quality of the assets used, as well as attention to detail.

Well I disagree on the the quality of assets or attention to detail at least in the examples you posted.

FewRope

Yeah but their AA games may have bombed worse, we don’t know.

And secondly, FF16 and 7R haven’t released on other platforms yet, and when they do it will give a further boost to sales

Square took a very beneficial deal with Sony that guaranteed a baseline level of success and mitigated a lot of risk. It also allowed them to still monetize the games on other platforms later

The truth is that Sony has no need to make similar deals in the future with Xbox going third party, hence why they are suddenly “changing strategies” because Sony isn’t offering them
Xbox going third party has fucked SE in the ass hard

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

To be more specific, almost four in every five copies of the JRPG sold in the U.K. last week were on Sony’s flagship console, with the PS4 version accounting for 79 percent of physical sales of Final Fantasy 15 at launch. By comparison, the Xbox One edition scooped just 21 percent of all copies sold.

It didn't and that was before gamepass. now with Gamepass, these games still won't sell en even less then before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom