• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

The truth is that Sony has no need to make similar deals in the future with Xbox going third party, hence why they are suddenly “changing strategies” because Sony isn’t offering them
No disagreement here. Sony milked them for everything they were worth, and don't need to spend a dime on it now.

This is why some of us said it was a short sighted strategy to not build a long term consumer base on every platform. Probably too late for them to pivot immediately, especially when each game takes half a decade. They lost a decade of building a customer relationship with millions of people.

Last edited:
The truth is that Sony has no need to make similar deals in the future with Xbox going third party, hence why they are suddenly “changing strategies” because Sony isn’t offering them

Sony is out of the paying for 3rd party exclusives game. They absolutely don't need them anymore. That money can be reinvested elsewhere or go to improving margins.

I bet they'll publish fewer 3rd party games as their GaaS solidifies and revenues become more consistent throughout the year.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Honestly, there should have been multiple wake up calls by now. 3D, 2D, 2.5D, i've seen sooo many games throughout the years with that level of visual quality done by teams and budgets a fraction of Square Enix's.

6wagx4eb66571.png
WitchSpringR-1_2048x.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Ftech-blog%2Famid-evil-crafting-3d-weapons-into-2d-sprites%2FAxe-walk-e6e283d19129ae5e6d903c1bab0554c0a5a533c3.gif
Well said. Great visuals don’t always mean the amount of polygons. Art direction goes a very long way. Even then, gameplay is still king.

FewRope

Not releasing FF XVI on PC day 1 was such a huge mistake with the FF XIV fanbase willing to support the game even if it was dogshit

No disagreement here. Sony milked them for everything they were worth, and don't need to spend a dime on it now.

This is why some of us said it was a short sighted strategy to not build a long term consumer base on every platform. Probably too late for them to pivot immediately, especially when each game takes half a decade. They lost a decade of building a customer relationship with millions of people.

There was never going to be a long term consumer base on Xbox and the games are still being released on PC just at a later date.

Seems like it is console exclusive and ~18 months until PC.

FF16 will probably hit PC towards the end of the year or early next year.

It's hard to port games to Switch because it is underpowered, but Switch has its own history of exclusive Square games that they probably regret as well. Octopath Traveller could have been massively successful on PS4.

LordCBH

There was never going to be a long term consumer base on Xbox and the games are still being released on PC just at a later date.

Seems like it is console exclusive and ~18 months until PC.

FF16 will probably hit PC towards the end of the year or early next year.

It's hard to port games to Switch because it is underpowered, but Switch has its own history of exclusive Square games that they probably regret as well. Octopath Traveller could have been massively successful on PS4.

I was still disappointed Harvestella was switch exclusive.

This is just gaslighting, and not even good gaslighting. There was a small base on Xbox for XIII and XV. No one is claiming its as big as PS, but it existed. Might be dead now. Just shows how much they destroyed that customer relationship if everyone just accepts that they can't sell any games to tens of millions of people. Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil don't have the same problem. Even Yakuza has an Xbox audience now, not to mention a large PC audience. Just let that sink in how insane that is when compared to a decade ago.

Last edited:
This is just gaslighting, and not even good gaslighting. There was a small base on Xbox for XIII and XV. No one is claiming its as big as PS, but it existed. Might be dead now. Just shows how much they destroyed that customer relationship if everyone just accepts that they can't sell any games to tens of millions of people. Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil don't have the same problem. Even Yakuza has an Xbox audience now, not to mention a large PC audience. Just let that sink in how insane that is when compared to a decade ago.

We need to censor the word gaslighting. Has to be the most misused word on the internet

This is just gaslighting, and not even good gaslighting. There was a small base on Xbox for XIII and XV. No one is claiming its as big as PS, but it existed. Might be dead now. Just shows how much they destroyed that customer relationship if everyone just accepts that they can't sell any games to tens of millions of people. Elden Ring, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil don't have the same problem.

You're referring to the Xbox 360 days when the 360 had a larger userbase in the US than the PS3.

This hasn't been the case since. That userbase doesn't exist and the non-gamepass software sales of Xbox have evaporated.

43.75 million xbox 360 in the US alone (RROD contributed)

Less than 30 million XBS globally...

Stop it.

We need to censor the word gaslighting. Has to be the most misused word on the internet
This is exactly what it is. Just repeat Xbox has no effect until people believe it. It's just a lazy lie. Whole lot of that on here in regards to this series, this publisher, and how they are doing this gen. Just repeat, repeat until people think they're the crazy ones for saying the truth.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

It’s gaslighting to claim these recent games on Xbox series x/s were massive successes

GamePass really screwed up the Xbox audience this generation and those numbers on Xbox One don’t apply. Software isn’t selling as good on Series S/X versus the One

Many of those audiences for Japanese games were just moneyhatted GamePass deals

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Honestly, there should have been multiple wake up calls by now. 3D, 2D, 2.5D, i've seen sooo many games throughout the years with that level of visual quality done by teams and budgets a fraction of Square Enix's.

WitchSpringR-1_2048x.jpg
Never heard of WitchSpring.......so now off Steam I go!
I dun think ive even got time to play it.......but it looks like something to fill my Atelier addiction while I wait.
I can’t be the only one that’s totally sick of final fantasy. For a series that has final in its title they sure do love to milk the ever loving fuck out of it. At one point they were fun but not any more they all start to blend into each other.

Time for SE to make some new stuff to mix things up.

l2NxDsr.gif

Are you talking about the right game series here mate?
Either that or you literally dont play Final Fantasy games at all.

Final Fantasy XVI came out in 2023.
The one before that was in frikken 2016 with Final Fantasy XV
And before that was all the way back at Final Fantasy XIII in 2009

Basically one per generation.......and every single one of them has been vastly different the previous entries.
They could literally be given completely different titles from each other and it would actually still fit because the games share so little with each other.

And if we keep pushing back.
Final Fantasy XII was 2006 and Final Fantasy X was at the turn of the frikken century.
If you would like we can go back the the Playstation 1 versions of which they are 3...............we are talking about Super NES games after that.

Theres a reason people get mad excited for Final Fantasy games.............mainline games dont actually come out that often, and they basically always reinvent the series so its interesting to see which direction they go with the next mainline Final Fantasy game.

This is exactly what it is. Just repeat Xbox has no effect until people believe it. It's just a lazy lie. Whole lot of that on here in regards to this series, this publisher, and how they are doing this gen. Just repeat, repeat until people think they're the crazy ones for saying the truth.

Gaslighting is psychological abuse. No one is gaslighting you

Darsxx82

Who told you ports aren't expensive to make? Site the sources please. I've been waiting on this information when individuals pull this talking point out.
By no means insignificant indication that the vast majority of publishers and Studios (AAA and indi games of all kinds) release their games on Xbox??

If ports were so expensive and impossible to make profitable in any way, you can be sure that this reality would not occur. You have platforms that share architecture and technology practically 1:1 and the tools are the Dx12 standard.....

Guilty_AI

Show me a proper comparison between games. You made the claim do it justice.
You can start looking at the attention to light and shadow. For 3D assets a lot of it is done automatically by the engine, but for the 2D pixel art it has to be done by hand mostly. Same with certain textures (especially if you're not using PBR materials). Other thing worth looking at is asset variation between similar types of props like trees. Two assets of the same type who look similar at a glance yet differ in smaller elements when you look closely is a great show of artistic attention.

You can also try to identify the main color pallete of a scene and see how well they contrast with each other like Blue -> Green -> Redish/brownish to a touch of white and pink contrasting the main elements of the scene to the background. Or Orange -> Brownish -> Red with a small tinge of white that lets you immediatly spot the main character, aka a most important element of the scene.

Last edited:
Millions of people do because you don't understand the bloody word lol

Gaslighting is a colloquialism, loosely defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality.

Colloquialism (also called colloquial language, everyday language, or general parlance) is the linguistic style used for casual (informal) communication

Your concern is noted. Not gonna stop using it though lol.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Never heard of WitchSpring.......so now off Steam I go!
I dun think ive even got time to play it.......but it looks like something to fill my Atelier addiction while I wait.
Game isn't that long (for JRPG standards at least). It does have some Atelier-like elements but i'd say its still mostly a JRPG. If you want something more Atelier-like i suggest looking into Mystia Izakaya.

Last edited:

Fabieter

You can start looking at the attention to light and shadow. For 3D assets a lot of it is done automatically by the engine, but for the 2D pixel art it has to be done by hand mostly. Same with certain textures (especially if you're not using PBR materials). Other thing worth looking at is asset variation between similar types of props like trees. Two assets of the same type who look similar at a glance yet differ in smaller elements when you look closely is a great show of artistic attention.

You can also try to identify the main color pallete of a scene and see how well they contrast with each other like Blue -> Green -> Redish/brownish to a touch of white and pink contrasting the main elements of the scene to the background. Or Orange -> brownish -> Red with a small tinge of white that lets you immediatly spot the main character, aka a most important element of the scene.

I cam see that, don't say iam an expert on this, but it's still didn't explain how they make more out of their graphics than 2dhd sqaure games. Well maybe it's just a bit of preference like you said in the other post.

Welp, that's that for anyone who was still dreaming of SIE buying Square-Enix. The latter clearly isn't interested, and considering the hyper-aggressive (I would say targeted) discourse on their PlayStation exclusives sales-wise, I can't necessarily blame Square-Enix here.

However, it's also of my mind that Square-Enix might be taking some wrong lessons here. They say they're going to focus on quality; the problem I'd say was not quality, but consistency. FF XVI is a quality game, but it made design decisions at great odds to what many may've been expecting from a mainline Final Fantasy title. Games like the recent Valkyrie title are quality, but were released with little advertising and bunched up with a ton of other Square-Enix releases in a short time period PLUS released during very busy seasons for bigger game titles.

From what I can understand, Square-Enix's idea of increasing "quality" is to cut out the AA games, but I think that's a mistake. Though, they would have less a need for AA games since they aren't a platform holder like SIE, who should be pursuing more AA titles to fill out the release schedule of exclusives for their own console. But I can talk about SIE another time.

For what this multiplatform shift will entail, well I'm guessing it's going to be a lot like SEGA/Atlus's. I'm 100% not expecting FF VII Remake Part 3 to be a PlayStation exclusive anymore, though I feel that's something arrived to in agreement by SIE and Square-Enix. Since that game probably won't arrive until 2027/2028, I can see the release platforms being PlayStation 5, PlayStation 6, PC (Steam & EGS), and Xbox apparently, since Square-Enix mentioned it in their report. Either they're assuming traditional-style Xbox consoles will continue/have another generation, or they are already aware of plans from MS to make Xbox a more PC-like device but still operate off Xbox OS with (likely) some sandboxed Windows translation layer to run approved Windows apps, and get native versions of Steam, EGS etc. on the devices.

Regardless, they're at least under the assumption of Xbox being a distinct enough platform still to warrant separate mention from PC, and if their direction is what it seems like, then PlayStation could have a much more formidable Xbox to deal with going forward (which would make their allowing MS to port some games to PS consoles even wilder on SIE's part). At least, in terms of what hardware is proposed, even if it costs more than a PlayStation console (the cost & volume of production would be two reasons to not expect it to challenge PlayStation in unit sales, most likely).

Even with the mention of Xbox support though, I don't expect any Game Pass deals here, when even SEGA/Atlus are scaling back on that. The bigger point of interest though is their focus on Nintendo. I've seen way too many people here and around other places keep saying Nintendo wouldn't be a target platform for AAA Square-Enix games, yet here we are. They're outright saying it will be. A lot of the defacto 3P Japanese AAA exclusives PlayStation may've been getting this gen (which ain't much), won't be happening going forward. The same can be said for defacto Western 3P "exclusives" between PlayStation and Xbox over the past gen. Even if they have to do cloud asset streaming as an option, Square-Enix are going to try making Switch 2 a launch platform for at least most of their AAA games now.

I imagine even right now, they're working on ports of FF VII Remake and Rebirth for the Switch 2 that'll probably release as some double-pack next year. Maybe not at launch, but close to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo are working with Square-Enix on some exclusive Nintendo-themed content bonuses, too. I think VII Remake and Rebirth will hit Switch 2 before they go to Xbox & PC, but those two platforms will probably get FF XVI at around the same time Switch 2 gets the VII ports. Kingdom Hearts IV will probably be a PS5/Xbox/Switch 2/PC Day 1 launch. FF IX remake, if it's still happening, will be the same.

Now what about SIE in all this? Well, I'll try and be nice and just say....they got complacent, took certain market conditions for granted, got overly aggressive and chased trends, are now seemingly chasing a market that's shrunk recently (PC gaming), and their internal 1P studios (most of them) have been affected by the GAAS chase and in some cases subsequent cancellation of those games. I personally think SIE are in a worst spot now than they were at the start of this generation and now they've potentially lost a 3P partner for adding content differentiation (exclusives) to their console offering, though SIE themselves seem less and less interested in doing that either.

There's still a chance SIE can get marketing rights for many of these games going forward, and there's still a chance they can strike some co-development/co-funding exclusivity deal if the rumors of them doing that with SEGA/Atlus and Bandai-Namco for AA revivals of games like Wipeout are true (though I have a lot of doubt those rumors are true). But I'll be honest: this is mostly hopium on my part. There's little reason to exhaustively speculate if they will or won't do it, and instead just wait until there's an official announcement. But PlayStation losing yet another JRPG exclusive is just chipping away at all the little things that once used to make the console special, and there likely is no replacement on the horizon from SIE themselves (even though there are many studios they could work with on such a replacement, and they have IP suiting it like Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles, Legend of Dragoon etc.).

This isn't really meant to be a SIE criticism though; at the end of the day Square-Enix have to look out for their own best interests and if they feel a more aggressive multiplatform strategy is the answer, then that's what it'll be. I hope they're successful with it. But I also hope they don't consider shelving ALL their AA-style games, and establish a consistent core theme and design language for mainline Final Fantasy titles, while taking the best parts of XVI, Rebirth, and classic games to mix them together. If they can do that, while having a more sensible release schedule in general, I think they should definitely excel.

Welp, that's that for anyone who was still dreaming of SIE buying Square-Enix. The latter clearly isn't interested, and considering the hyper-aggressive (I would say targeted) discourse on their PlayStation exclusives sales-wise, I can't necessarily blame Square-Enix here.

However, it's also of my mind that Square-Enix might be taking some wrong lessons here. They say they're going to focus on quality; the problem I'd say was not quality, but consistency. FF XVI is a quality game, but it made design decisions at great odds to what many may've been expecting from a mainline Final Fantasy title. Games like the recent Valkyrie title are quality, but were released with little advertising and bunched up with a ton of other Square-Enix releases in a short time period PLUS released during very busy seasons for bigger game titles.

From what I can understand, Square-Enix's idea of increasing "quality" is to cut out the AA games, but I think that's a mistake. Though, they would have less a need for AA games since they aren't a platform holder like SIE, who should be pursuing more AA titles to fill out the release schedule of exclusives for their own console. But I can talk about SIE another time.

For what this multiplatform shift will entail, well I'm guessing it's going to be a lot like SEGA/Atlus's. I'm 100% not expecting FF VII Remake Part 3 to be a PlayStation exclusive anymore, though I feel that's something arrived to in agreement by SIE and Square-Enix. Since that game probably won't arrive until 2027/2028, I can see the release platforms being PlayStation 5, PlayStation 6, PC (Steam & EGS), and Xbox apparently, since Square-Enix mentioned it in their report. Either they're assuming traditional-style Xbox consoles will continue/have another generation, or they are already aware of plans from MS to make Xbox a more PC-like device but still operate off Xbox OS with (likely) some sandboxed Windows translation layer to run approved Windows apps, and get native versions of Steam, EGS etc. on the devices.

Regardless, they're at least under the assumption of Xbox being a distinct enough platform still to warrant separate mention from PC, and if their direction is what it seems like, then PlayStation could have a much more formidable Xbox to deal with going forward (which would make their allowing MS to port some games to PS consoles even wilder on SIE's part). At least, in terms of what hardware is proposed, even if it costs more than a PlayStation console (the cost & volume of production would be two reasons to not expect it to challenge PlayStation in unit sales, most likely).

Even with the mention of Xbox support though, I don't expect any Game Pass deals here, when even SEGA/Atlus are scaling back on that. The bigger point of interest though is their focus on Nintendo. I've seen way too many people here and around other places keep saying Nintendo wouldn't be a target platform for AAA Square-Enix games, yet here we are. They're outright saying it will be. A lot of the defacto 3P Japanese AAA exclusives PlayStation may've been getting this gen (which ain't much), won't be happening going forward. The same can be said for defacto Western 3P "exclusives" between PlayStation and Xbox over the past gen. Even if they have to do cloud asset streaming as an option, Square-Enix are going to try making Switch 2 a launch platform for at least most of their AAA games now.

I imagine even right now, they're working on ports of FF VII Remake and Rebirth for the Switch 2 that'll probably release as some double-pack next year. Maybe not at launch, but close to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo are working with Square-Enix on some exclusive Nintendo-themed content bonuses, too. I think VII Remake and Rebirth will hit Switch 2 before they go to Xbox & PC, but those two platforms will probably get FF XVI at around the same time Switch 2 gets the VII ports. Kingdom Hearts IV will probably be a PS5/Xbox/Switch 2/PC Day 1 launch. FF IX remake, if it's still happening, will be the same.

Now what about SIE in all this? Well, I'll try and be nice and just say....they got complacent, took certain market conditions for granted, got overly aggressive and chased trends, are now seemingly chasing a market that's shrunk recently (PC gaming), and their internal 1P studios (most of them) have been affected by the GAAS chase and in some cases subsequent cancellation of those games. I personally think SIE are in a worst spot now than they were at the start of this generation and now they've potentially lost a 3P partner for adding content differentiation (exclusives) to their console offering, though SIE themselves seem less and less interested in doing that either.

There's still a chance SIE can get marketing rights for many of these games going forward, and there's still a chance they can strike some co-development/co-funding exclusivity deal if the rumors of them doing that with SEGA/Atlus and Bandai-Namco for AA revivals of games like Wipeout are true (though I have a lot of doubt those rumors are true). But I'll be honest: this is mostly hopium on my part. There's little reason to exhaustively speculate if they will or won't do it, and instead just wait until there's an official announcement. But PlayStation losing yet another JRPG exclusive is just chipping away at all the little things that once used to make the console special, and there likely is no replacement on the horizon from SIE themselves (even though there are many studios they could work with on such a replacement, and they have IP suiting it like Dark Cloud, White Knight Chronicles, Legend of Dragoon etc.).

This isn't really meant to be a SIE criticism though; at the end of the day Square-Enix have to look out for their own best interests and if they feel a more aggressive multiplatform strategy is the answer, then that's what it'll be. I hope they're successful with it. But I also hope they don't consider shelving ALL their AA-style games, and establish a consistent core theme and design language for mainline Final Fantasy titles, while taking the best parts of XVI, Rebirth, and classic games to mix them together. If they can do that, while having a more sensible release schedule in general, I think they should definitely excel.

What a tone deaf take.

There is a reason Sony stopped making Dark Cloud, Legend of Dragoon, Wild Arms, Arc the Lad, games... they didn't sell well enough to keep making them.

There is a reason why Square Enix is going to focus more on multiplatform and it's because Sony isn't going to pay for games it doesn't need to be exclusive.

It's so jarring to see analysis that is entirely baked in fanboyism/nostalgia.

I've said it for years that Square Enix was not a good buyout option and people continued to be confused or irrational about it. Sony could easily buy Square Enix. It just isn't a good buy.

Sony is in a worst spot than the beginning of the generation? FF7 Rebirth sold significantly worse than Remake. FF16 didn't move the needle at all. Square Enix isn't what it once was in terms of being a kingmaker.

That's because so much of the market is GaaS now. There are fewer system sellers than ever before.

Guilty_AI

I cam see that, don't say iam an expert on this, but it's still didn't explain how they make more out of their graphics than 2dhd sqaure games. Well maybe it's just a bit of preference like you said in the other post.
The details i gave you were the specific type of things that may "cost more", either in talent or time. Octopath 2 has some great contrasts of light and shadow characterizing its visual style that seem to blend both pixel art elements and 3D lighting together - which you may prefer - but that shouldn't shot up their budget to the point they need dozens of times more money and people than these other games.

Rain World for example (the first pic). It was made by only 4 devs with a custom engine built from the ground up (rather than using Unreal like square's 2DHD games), it has physics based animations and even a simulated ecosystem. All while having beutifully drawn pixel art and great sound design. SE is clearly doing something wrong here.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I personally think SIE are in a worst spot now than they were at the start of this generation and now they've potentially lost a 3P partner for adding content differentiation (exclusives) to their console offering, though SIE themselves seem less and less interested in doing that either.

?

SIE could not be in a better spot with Xbox out of the way.

Nintendo may take some share with switch 2 for 3P, but that doesn’t mean much when Sony has the entire console market on lock.

There’s still an audience for higher end console gaming and switch 2 ain’t that.

Orbital2060

Not saying it’s bad but is it even worth it now to port to Xbox. Like at its current state and how things are going?

Like I’ll give you a perfect example: Persona 3/4/5 were being aggressively marketed for Xbox (and it’s also coming to the Switch) last year but where did majority of the sales end up? The hint is not Xbox (it’s the Switch).

P5R launched day 1 on game pass on Xbox.

Top Bottom