• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX screens and preview featuring Elise - Releasing January 2012

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
WANT. I love SSX so hard. Looove. I even made a GAF topic love story for SSX:

http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?p=14903635

Tricky had a better style, better race courses (Garibaldi!) and the gameplay was arguably more "pure." Plus, it is absolutely unreal how much such a little thing like Run DMC's It's Tricky adds to the game. Hearing "TRICKAAAYYY!" after landing a big trick literally never got old, and just had a very good feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DRvglBFsY4

SSX3, in turn, was a "bigger" game, and succeeded brilliantly with it's "one mountain" set-up. The three "whole peak" races were sublime, and it was great that as you progressed through the game you were moving further and further up the mountain, and it got more threatening.

The freeride "backcountry" portions were fantastic, and the entire conceit of "DJ Atomika" watching the action through mountain cams worked super well, and did more than even most modern games to immerse the player in the environment. The line between "cool" and "trying to hard" can be very fine at times, and in SSX3 "EA Radio Big" is genuinely cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEf80nAkto

An SSX that marries Tricky's sense of fun and varied tracks with SSX3's open world and sense of fun is literally a dream game, for me.

- Keep the collectable tokens from 3.
- Keep the continuous "one mountain" design.
- Keep The awesome radio, and even bring back Atomika, if you can write some good shit for him again (not like the cringe-inducing Burnout).
- Keep SSX3's great sense of choice. You could progress through the entire game with only tricks, only races, or only collectibles.
- Create more variations in the track designs, like Tricky. Maybe a volcano at the peak? A city at the foot?

Bgamer90 said:
I mean, I feel as if I'm the only one that actually remembers the events from SSX3. Everyone else seems to remember the game as being exactly like Tricky when it wasn't (in terms of style and courses).

I loved how it progressed. It started sunny and extreme (Snow Jam and Metro City), with a beautiful, (mostly) peaceful backcountry to ride on. Go to Peak 2 and the mountain starts to show its nature. Get to Peak 3 and you're riding on nearly completely destroyed racing tracks,and backcountry where every 10 seconds you can wipe out on some sort of andom natural disaster. Like IGN said on their review, on the Peak 3, it was brutal.

I won't get that kind of progression here I think, as it's not a single mountain with various peaks that get more dangerous as you go, but I'm sure we'll get some excellent stuff in Deadly Descents mode.

Launch trailer looked terrible (conceptually) - 3 seconds of gameplay footage in the developer diary and these screens look awesome - in keeping with the SSX of old. So I may well snap this up. Keep all that gritty, edgy, dudebro crap out of the game please EA, this is the way to do things.

Bgamer90

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Launch trailer looked terrible (conceptually) - 3 seconds of gameplay footage in the developer diary and these screens look awesome - in keeping with the SSX of old. So I may well snap this up. Keep all that gritty, edgy, dudebro crap out of the game please EA, this is the way to do things.

The "dudebro crap" will still be in the game, it's just that that won't be the game as a whole.

I've been playing my SSX 3 Gamecube rip on Dolphin and got the audio to work with full DJ Atomica Music Soundtracks and the game is running beautifully.

I wish it was appropriate to post screens in this thread since we've all liek to see what an HD re-release would look like. Let me just say that ast the high resolution with SuperSampling AntiAliasing , you can really see the limits of the game modeling and texture wise.

yet, the game still manages to wow me gameplay wise and graphically since its got so many great textures and geographical detail.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
People post screens like that all the time. I'd be very curious to see how it looks. I popped in SSX 3 on my Wii last year and was disappointed with the muddy visuals.

Bgamer90 said:
I mean, I feel as if I'm the only one that actually remembers the events from SSX3. Everyone else seems to remember the game as being exactly like Tricky when it wasn't (in terms of style and courses).

Seriously. SSX Tricky was sublime. SSX3 was when the series started going downhill by taking itself a little too seriously. It had everything I despised: less diverse tracks (where's my Tokyo Megaplex?), less wacky and eccentric characters, a terrible soundtrack, and all-around less style.

Just give me SSX Tricky in HD and I will be a very happy man.

GDJustin said:
People post screens like that all the time. I'd be very curious to see how it looks. I popped in SSX 3 on my Wii last year and was disappointed with the muddy visuals.
I recently bought SSX3 for the xbox and the emulation for the xbox360's backwards compatibility only does 4:3 and doesn't seem to look sharp at all, which makes me wonder if it's even running at 480p as advertised. It's also got few times during a race when the screen gets filled with racers/geometry when it'll suffer framerate drops, but 95% of the time its at a solid 60fps.

click for originals

El-Suave

All I want is a bit more color in the outfit. This looks too much like camouflage, especially for a character who has traditionally always (?) worn red.
Other than that I won't complain.

soultron

Banned
Pretty sure Part 4 of the dev diary is going up today. I've been excitedly refreshing the Gamespot page all day, but no dice yet!

soultron

Banned
Facebook blocked at work.
EA's Youtube page is being flooded with NHL 11 Stanley Cup stuff.
It was the next best way to find out.

Elixist

somebody gif the gameplay off that vid please looks sexy. I really hope we can customize characters, its fun and also gives games a fun economy ( earn money to buy new gear/ clothes)

edit: disregard dint see that SSEX already ahead of me in proper thread

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Elixist said:
somebody gif the gameplay off that vid please looks sexy. I really hope we can customize characters, its fun and also gives games a fun economy ( earn money to buy new gear/ clothes)
Here you go, from the other thread. :p

SolidSnakex said:
333l302.jpg

So happy I didn't write it off completely with the initial teaser because the more and more I see, the more it's looking like a throwback to SSX 3 (the best one IMO).

Tokyo Megaplex-like levels were fun, but I'd be perfectly okay if the new one didn't have anything that crazy. As long as there are huge jumps and plenty of speed ala the gif above, I'll be happy.

Top Bottom