• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX screens and preview featuring Elise - Releasing January 2012

Treefingers said:
Yeah and I liked her best in SSX 3. :p
Haha, we'll agree to disagree! I liked it best in Tricky, but in SSX3 you could actually buy the haircut from Tricky. So the best for us both would be if you could choose :p

Zabka

Looks pretty damn good to me for a game that's a year out.

Just ditch the right stick control and all is forgiven.

Coen said:
I can't help but root for the guy. He must have been heartbroken by the initial outcry.

It seems like that right? He seems pretty butt hurt that they had to change the design. Batty should thank the fans for saving his job.

Fixed1979

Although not as hurtful to me as the rest of the shots we've seen. No snowflakes or yellow ramps = no SSX, coupled with a control stick for tricks. I don't care how it ends up looking, these 3 things automatically disqualify it from being SSX.

Salaadin

Fixed1979 said:
Although not as hurtful to me as the rest of the shots we've seen. No snowflakes or yellow ramps = no SSX, coupled with a control stick for tricks. I don't care how it ends up looking, these 3 things automatically disqualify it from being SSX.

Did SSX3 have colors and paint on the mountain areas outside the tracks? I cant remember.
Giant snowflakes didnt exist in races iirc, only as multipliers in Trick mode where you have to score points

Salaadin said:
Did SSX3 have colors and paint on the mountain areas outside the tracks? I cant remember.
Giant snowflakes didnt exist in races iirc, only as multipliers in Trick mode where you have to score points

Not at the top, no. It was just open mountain.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. But I really don't like the idea of trick controls being on the right stick. That takes like... all of the skill out of the trick system. My only hope is that they are totally re-writing the trick system and that perhaps only trick rotation will be on the right stick (as opposed to the d-pad) and that grabs will still be on the shoulder buttons.

bridegur

I think it looks great, and it's nice to know they're listening to fans of the series. Hopefully the extra development time will let them make something close to the quality of SSX3.

Fixed1979

Salaadin said:

SSX3 actually got away from what I loved about SSX a bit and as such is my least favorite of the bunch (unless we're counting Blur). I know there's lots of people here who think it's the best of the bunch and so they'll probably be happy with this news.

Salaadin

StrikerObi said:
Not at the top, no. It was just open mountain.

I thought so. These shots could just be from a less colorful section of mountain. I admit, I would be happy if they showed off some painted snow and flashy colors next time.

StrikerObi said:
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. But I really don't like the idea of trick controls being on the right stick. That takes like... all of the skill out of the trick system. My only hope is that they are totally re-writing the trick system and that perhaps only trick rotation will be on the right stick (as opposed to the d-pad) and that grabs will still be on the shoulder buttons.

I can deal with this too. I honestly cant see how the right stick can be the only way to do tricks. Im trying to imagine it and just cant.

Fixed1979 said:
SSX 3 actually got away from what I loved about SSX a bit and as such is my least favorite of the bunch (unless we're counting Blur). I know there's lots of people here who think it's the best of the bunch and so they'll probably be happy with this news.

I can see why youre a little "meh" towards this then.

I loved them both although Tricky is my favorite.

I'm excited for it. I got so starved for a snowboarding game for the off-season that I picked up Shaun White on the cheap. I was disappointed.

Fixed1979 said:
SSX3 actually got away from what I loved about SSX a bit and as such is my least favorite of the bunch (unless we're counting Blur). I know there's lots of people here who think it's the best of the bunch and so they'll probably be happy with this news.
Yeah I thought 3 was OK, Tricky was the pinnacle for me. Still like I've said before I'm just happy to be getting another SSX, and every new piece of info/screenshot/movie is getting me more amped up.

thezerofire said:
I'm excited for it. I got so starved for a snowboarding game for the off-season that I picked up Shaun White on the cheap. I was disappointed.
Have you tried Stoked: Big Air Edition? It's quite good.

btkadams

The lack of painted snow is scary but it looks great otherwise. It would be cool if they had all of the characters from previous games in this.

Bgamer90

Banned
duffyside said:
EA Person 1: Oh shit, we're really getting a lot of backlash for the new SSX's dreary Call of Duty look. Anything we can do to fix it?

EA Person 2: Hmmm... I think I may have just the thing. Watch this!

*Ctrl+F "Grey." Replace with "Blue."

EA Person 1: PERFECT!

The game was always going to be like this. The EGM interview of the game described many of the things that this gamespot interview did and the EGM interview was relesed back in January. They couldn't have changed the game that fast (the trailer was shown in December).

There was a greater emphasis on the Deadly Descents mode in the trailer (obviously) and they probably have put a greater emphasis on that mode since it's the game's newest mode. There was always going to be colorful tracks BUT there's also going to still be the dark/extreme tracks like what was shown in the trailer.

Basically, the game looks to be following the same model of SSX 3 in terms of starting out colorful and getting more dark/extreme in the later events which by the way is one of the reasons why I didn't get why people were mad at the trailer; the trailer was similar to the last events in SSX 3 (though a bit more extreme/intense).

I mean, I feel as if I'm the only one that actually remembers the events from SSX3. Everyone else seems to remember the game as being exactly like Tricky when it wasn't (in terms of style and courses).

Bgamer90 said:
I mean, I feel as if I'm the only one that actually remembers the events from SSX3. Everyone else seems to remember the game as being exactly like Tricky when it wasn't (in terms of style and courses).
Amen brother

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It was a misjudged presentation: you can't say a long-anticipated series continuation is an extreme survival game called 'Deadly Descents' when survival, or indeed death, have never played a part in the series, and expect the fanbase not to freak out.

Hell, the much-reviled X-Com had base expansion, research and development, persistent squadmates, strategic combat, an unknown enemy, etc. and people still shit the bed because the trailer sold it as an action FPS. So it goes.

Salaadin

Bgamer90 said:
The game was always going to be like this. The EGM interview of the game described many of the things that this gamespot interview did and the EGM interview was relesed back in January. They couldn't have changed the game that fast (the trailer was shown in December).

There was a greater emphasis on the Deadly Descents mode in the trailer (obviously) and they probably have put a greater emphasis on that mode since it's the game's newest mode. There was always going to be colorful tracks BUT there's also going to still be the dark/extreme tracks like what was shown in the trailer.

Basically, the game looks to be following the same model of SSX 3 in terms of starting out colorful and getting more dark/extreme in the later events which by the way is one of the reasons why I didn't get why people were mad at the trailer; the trailer was similar to the last events in SSX 3 (though a bit more extreme/intense).

That first SSX trailer shown makes no mention of it being a simple game mode. Its clearly the game...they even unveil a logo for "SSX Deadly Descents". How do you get game mode from that? What other dev releases a trailer for a single game mode but doesnt tell anybody that its just a game mode until 3 months after its unveiled? It doesnt make any sense.

SSX3 was the perfect blend of realism with the signature SSX goofiness. Nobody forgot that which is why when they unveiled Deadly Descents, there was such a backlash with all the "CoD on snowboards" comments. Its impossible to watch that trailer and read the interviews and think "Ohhh Its the SSX I know and love". It just doesnt happen. Im curious to see how you came to those conclusions as early as January.

Xater

That's supposed to be Elise? I don't like these characters at all. Give me tank top Elise, Crazy Afro guy and Psymon.

markatisu

ResidentDante said:
SSX_Tricky.jpg

Where the hell is the sequel to this! , Blur seemed about the closest thing

soultron

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
my point is that this new SSX is being made today so it will have to hold up to that standard. something that will most definitely take away from the core values that made SSX1-3 what we loved.

How else is this developer going to make money back on a game being developed in today's economically crippled gaming industry? They have to maximize accessibility and appeal. Accessibility today means casual players, appeal today means the sheep-like CoD dudebros. Reality sucks.

Lets face it, chances are SSX 3 wouldn't sell well if released today. Hell, if it got an HD XBLA/PSN release today, it would still not be able to pull enough sales to warrant any serious dedicated development of a full-fledged sequel. Once again, Reality sucks.
Are you kidding me? SSX, as a franchise, has always been accessible. You're making it seem like only the hardcore audience play SSX. We wouldn't be moving onto the 6th SSX game now if it was some hardcore niche title.

I know your main gripes lay with the new visual direction, but it's something else entirely to act like that's going to bleed in and ruin the gameplay itself. SSX has always been accessible and fun. If you've paid any attention to the articles or interviews, you'd know that this is still very much a focus.

And as far as SSX3 not selling today, you don't know that. No one ever will. That's completely inconsequential and has no bearing on this game's release. If you're stuck pining for an HD re-release, just go out and grab SSX3 for XBOX/360BC or PS2/PS3BC(if you're lucky). It supports 480p. Haha. I picked it up again, a few months ago, for $5.

Bgamer90

Banned
Salaadin said:
That first SSX trailer shown makes no mention of it being a simple game mode. Its clearly the game...they even unveil a logo for "SSX Deadly Descents". How do you get game mode from that? What other dev releases a trailer for a single game mode but doesnt tell anybody that its just a game mode until 3 months after its unveiled? It doesnt make any sense.

SSX3 was the perfect blend of realism with the signature SSX goofiness. Nobody forgot that which is why when they unveiled Deadly Descents, there was such a backlash with all the "CoD on snowboards" comments. Its impossible to watch that trailer and read the interviews and think "Ohhh Its the SSX I know and love". It just doesnt happen. Im curious to see how you came to those conclusions as early as January.

Like I said before, there was an EGM article back in January stating that the game was still going to have colorful tracks and it was also the first article with the "race it, trick it, survive it" motto. So it wasn't 3 months after... matter of fact it was a FEW WEEKS after.

I never said that the trailer made mention of Deadly Descents being a mode in the game. What I did say though was that the trailer was similar to some of the events in SSX3. The later events in SSX3 were extreme, lacked color, and were in many ways "deadly" with things such as ice caves cracking down and avalanches. The trailer started out saying "Day 63" (iirc) and therefore I just thought that the trailer was showing one of the last events to the game. Wasn't mad/upset since 1. it was a 30 second trailer, 2. since the trailer had day 63, I figured that the game was going to be like SSX3 in terms of starting colorful and getting more extreme and less colorful as you moved along, and 3. I always wanted a new SSX

Salaadin

Bgamer90 said:
Like I said before, there was an EGM article back in January stating that the game was still going to have colorful tracks and it was also the first article with the "race it, trick it, survive it" motto. So it wasn't 3 months after... matter of fact it was a FEW WEEKS after.

I never said that the trailer made mention of Deadly Descents being a mode in the game. What I did say though was that the trailer was similar to some of the events in SSX3. The later events in SSX3 were extreme, lacked color, and were in many ways "deadly" with things such as ice caves cracking down and avalanches. The trailer started out saying "Day 63" (iirc) and therefore I just thought that the trailer was showing one of the last events to the game. Wasn't mad/upset since 1. it was a 30 second trailer, 2. since the trailer had day 63, I figured that the game was going to be like SSX3 in terms of starting colorful and getting more extreme and less colorful as you moved along, and 3. I always wanted a new SSX

Can you dig up that article? I mustve missed that one. I only know of a gaf thread that I have a subscription to (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417958) and this was the summary:

gondee said:
EGM Article on SSXDD is out.

Summary

• Rewind Feature
  • 17 regions spread across the whole globe, each mountain ridable in all their 360º degrees of slopes, Stoked style. They're aiming for 70 open mountains. Mountains are generated automatically by the game, including some from topographic data like Google Earth. The producer talks about his programmer asking him to name any mountain, the producer said "Everest", the tech guy plugs that info into the mountain building program (dubbed "Mountain Man), and the program spit out a 100,000+ polygon rendered mountain.
  • Regions confirmed so far: Siberia, Himalayas (split into two mountains it would seem, for now), Kilimanjaro, Siberia, Caucasus, The Alps.
  • Each mountain is tailored to one kind of danger. Thin air, ice, temperature, will each be the main danger of one mountain range.
  • The gear you purchase/earn will be important, each piece may be better to a certain condition/danger.
  • Elise is returning. Start guessing who the guy in the trailer is (or it could be a new fella...)
  • There will be tracks in the game. They have natural shortcuts (this can mean the tracks could have the feel we're used them to have, the ramps, turns, etc, etc), some of the runs are pinched together, some others intersect.

SykoTech

Need more details about the controls. The Skate thing has me a bit iffy.

Sounds good otherwise. Very much looking forward to some (solid) gameplay footage. E3?

Bgamer90

Banned
Salaadin said:
Can you dig up that article? I mustve missed that one. I only know of a gaf thread that I have a subscription to (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417958) and this was the summary:

http://www.egmnow.com/egmi/issue/243-4.html

^That mentions the fact that there was still going to be colorful tracks in the game along with the crazy tricks and stuff.

I also made a mistake... the "race it, trick it, survive it" motto was first talked about in an OXM magazine from about 2 months ago.

Salaadin

Bgamer90 said:
http://www.egmnow.com/egmi/issue/243-4.html

^That mentions the fact that there was still going to be colorful tracks in the game along with the crazy tricks and stuff.

I also made a mistake... the "race it, trick it, survive it" motto was first talked about in an OXM magazine from about 2 months ago.

Digital EGM? I didnt even know they existed :lol
Ill read that when I get home. Thanks for the link :)

SomeOneInaHat said:

Reminds me of the behind the scenes footage in Tricky with Zoes voice actress. "SSX? I thought it was SEX!

soultron said:
Are you kidding me? SSX, as a franchise, has always been accessible. You're making it seem like only the hardcore audience play SSX. We wouldn't be moving onto the 6th SSX game now if it was some hardcore niche title.

I know your main gripes lay with the new visual direction, but it's something else entirely to act like that's going to bleed in and ruin the gameplay itself. SSX has always been accessible and fun. If you've paid any attention to the articles or interviews, you'd know that this is still very much a focus.

And as far as SSX3 not selling today, you don't know that. No one ever will. That's completely inconsequential and has no bearing on this game's release. If you're stuck pining for an HD re-release, just go out and grab SSX3 for XBOX/360BC or PS2/PS3BC(if you're lucky). It supports 480p. Haha. I picked it up again, a few months ago, for $5.
I always played SSX with the HUD off.
Seriously though, ok, I guess I can give you that about the game always being accessible. But it wasn't by any means an easy game through and through. It was punishing as soon as you left Peak 1, and may god help my rose-tinted glasses but the AI on Peak 3 wasn't just helped by rubberbanding. :lol

But Bro. Lets be real. When was the last time a modern-day reboot of a franchise that hasn't seen a game in 4+ years ever been a game that could be seen remembered as a worthy successor in the franchise? I'm only trying to be realistic here, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

And on the note of pining for an HD re-release... if you were ever in the Buy.Trade/Sell Thread last week, I've been looking for an XBOX SSX3. ;)

Why would I be lucky to get a PS2 copy, its my understanding that the XBOX version was the definitive version of SSX3 because of the higher quality graphics?

soultron

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
I always played SSX with the HUD off.
Seriously though, ok, I guess I can give you that about the game always being accessible. But it wasn't by any means an easy game through and through. It was punishing as soon as you left Peak 1, and may god help my rose-tinted glasses but the AI on Peak 3 wasn't just helped by rubberbanding. :lol

But Bro. Lets be real. When was the last time a modern-day reboot of a franchise that hasn't seen a game in 4+ years ever been a game that could be seen remembered as a worthy successor in the franchise? I'm only trying to be realistic here, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

And on the note of pining for an HD re-release... if you were ever in the Buy.Trade/Sell Thread last week, I've been looking for an XBOX SSX3. ;)

Why would I be lucky to get a PS2 copy, its my understanding that the XBOX version was the definitive version of SSX3 because of the higher quality graphics?
One of the biggest difficulties any franchise with nearly a half-decade of silence has (not counting Blur, in SSX's case, since it wasn't on all current platforms) is that the image of the franchise is left back in time. That's why I've mentioned before that I believe the past look of SSX to be a product of its time.

And this SSX is no different. People have discussed that today's "look" is more gloomy and "realstic," but that's not something exclusive to video games. Many contemporary entertainment works are undergoing the same movements in art direction; look at films like The Dark Knight and Inception. Very serious, slick, lots of earth tones, and so on.

If SSX had a major release in the past 2-3 years and it incrementally updated the look of the franchise, I think the transition (to Deadly Descents) might've been easier for a lot of series fans. But again, we'll never know because that's not what happened.

As far as SSX3 being difficult, I've not found it too difficult. I've never really found any SSX games to be really difficult, and that's why I enjoyed them. It's one thing to get the top medals across all events, but one can easily take in the entire experience of any SSX game without much difficulty, IMO.

I wouldn't trade away my copy of SSX3. Sorry! :p

And my remark to the PS3 BC support was regarding the fragmentation/lack of BC support across the different models of the PS3.

I wish bros like you and I could still play SSX3 online. I would love for SSXGAF to get together. Another reason why an SSX3 XBLA HD-rerelease with online would be up my alley.

:)

Suairyu

Banned
I honestly never got the love for Tricky. It felt like SSX: The Expansion Pack. Some of the courses were even the taken from the first game with a little bit bolted on. I guess if you played it first it would have been awesome, but as I played SSX first Tricky felt disappointing.

Bgamer90

Banned
Suairyu said:
I honestly never got the love for Tricky. It felt like SSX: The Expansion Pack. Some of the courses were even the taken from the first game with a little bit bolted on. I guess if you played it first it would have been awesome, but as I played SSX first Tricky felt disappointing.

Funny you say that.

SSX Tricky was going to originally be "SSX 1.5". The game was basically going to be a re-release of SSX 1 with DVD extras (I'm guessing due to the Xbox and Gamecube not getting SSX1). They added things here and there to the game and then they added more and more to the point in which they decided to just make the game a sequel. It's the reason why SSX Tricky has the same tracks as SSX1.

Top Bottom