• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat - Misery Mod (Releases Jan 13th) | Get Back In Here Stalker!

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll take a screen tomorrow. Maybe I'm having a configuration issue.

There's the contrast/lighting that's bothering me as well. Even with half the sun over the horizon, when I look around me, it's pitch black.

Yeah, I'm not having any DoF issues. I do have Sun Shadows turned off and went with Enhanced Dynamic Lighting, as I was having lock-up issues with SS turned on and trying the DirectX lighting options. Still looks marvellous.

Odrion

Banned
So I raided some mercenary camp and ended up hauling a ton of higher tech weaponry back to the ship thanks to some nifty drugs that increases my capacity.

Five feet away from the ship, drugs wear off and I hear bandits shooting in the distance. I say "screw it!" and started to dump everything I had outside of my pistol and sniper rifle. I waddle inside the ship, slam the door shut, and went to get healed and sleep.

I wake up to constant gunfire outside, and as I exit the fog was rolling in. It was thick, it blocked my vision, so I tried to get on high ground and follow the sound.

I sat, perched on a oil pipeline, watching as gun fire glittered the thick smog under me. Stalkers and bandits engaged in swamp warfare south of the ship. I can figure out what's going on, in the morning the stalker and bandit parties leave at the same time. Because they're in such huge packs, neither side wants to pick a fight. It's mutually assured destruction.

But that didn't stop them this time. The bandits are making good progress, they're down to six, the stalkers are down to three. I wish that wasn't the case they consider me as a shoot on site priority due to some previous grudge. I wish I could join in the fight, as the fog as thinned down enough so that I can fire upon them at range. But as I said earlier, I ended up dropping all of my weaponry.

Huh, all of my weaponry.

The bandits do have nice, new weapons. They usually fight with weaker sub machine guns, or pistols (like the Stalkers.) Now they're using assault rifles. The same ones those mercenaries were using. The same ones I dropped. Oh, huh.

Well, feeling responsible and wanting my goddamn stuff back. I sneaked down to the swamp. All I had to my name was a silenced pistol with six rounds, and my sniper rifle with two. I kept thinking "Why didn't I keep the pistol that I have 40 bullets for instead?" as I walked, crouched underneath the fog and the plants, listening to the gunfire and trying to position myself behind the bandits. I find a bandit corpse, oh good. He had the seven pistols I dropped. They were barely working duplicates, but I had twenty bullets for their caliber.

A grenade landed about ten feet to the right of me. I took a few steps back, tried to shrink myself into the shrubbery. I was worried, I can barely see what was going on still. Even though the fog has thinned, the swamp plantation will keep you as blind as much as it keeps you hidden. It was the same for the two tribes as well, their gunfire slowed down, they kept losing sight of each other. The grenade goes off, I'm unharmed, and I see someone shooting away from me. That's also good, that grenade was unintended and I'm still a ghost to them. The gunfire picks up, as does the shouting. They're all distracted trying to kill each other, they're not concerned about hiding or staying in cover, they're engaged in the final moments of their conflict. So I stand up, rusted pistol in hand, praying to the lord that it doesn't jam and that it guides me to shoot what could be six well armed individuals. I see the nearest bandit and

He's shooting, there's a stalker shooting as well, but it's not at each other.

There was a bloodsucker, and there was only us three left.

oh god is this fan fiction did i just write fan fiction

*SNIP*

oh god is this fan fiction did i just write fan fiction

For any other game, it would be fan fiction. For STALKER, it's a veteran's war stories. Tales from the Zone. Other games would love to have such legitimacy for such, ahem, emergent ludology. (And isn't 'ludology' simply the most masturbatory word, used exclusively by games writers in a quest to force high art!)

I'm running DX11 and maxed everything.

Yeah, not sure what it could be. I'm intrigued, though...take a screenshot. I thought I was having the same issue, when it just turned out to be foggy weather.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Instead of jumping right into this I decided to play a bit of Clear Sky w/ Complete as I still had that installed and I didn't feel I gave it enough time for my first go. Which I'm glad I did as it's pretty good once it picks up, but reading through some of these posts has me wanting to dump it for Misery now. I'll probably still wrap that up, but reading these posts isn't making it easy, especially if Misery really does capture some of that old Chernobyl dread.

Big ass post.

Stalker stories are the absolute best game stories. Everyone has a few, they're all unique, and they're all crazy awesome. They're like nerd war tales. I WAS IN THE SHIT, MAN. I GOT "THE STARE."

I love it. No other series offers these sort of experiences.

e: Or what Pylon said, yeah.

So I started playing the original Stalker with the Complete Overhaul, because I really wanted a dark, gritty and scary survival game. However, I don't know if it's my playstyle (lots of quicksaves) or something else, but it never felt particularly scary or like my life was on the line and I was struggling. Maybe I didn't set the difficulty high enough, maybe it's because I didn't progress very far?

Can someone educate me as to where I went wrong? Thanks!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
So I started playing the original Stalker with the Complete Overhaul, because I really wanted a dark, gritty and scary survival game. However, I don't know if it's my playstyle (lots of quicksaves) or something else, but it never felt particularly scary or like my life was on the line and I was struggling. Maybe I didn't set the difficulty high enough, maybe it's because I didn't progress very far?

STALKER games are pretty easy if you play with a lot of quicksaves.

Mafro

How far into the game are you? Most of the scary stuff is when you head underground.

Instead of jumping right into this I decided to play a bit of Clear Sky w/ Complete as I still had that installed and I didn't feel I gave it enough time for my first go. Which I'm glad I did as it's pretty good once it picks up, but reading through some of these posts has me wanting to dump it for Misery now. I'll probably still wrap that up, but reading these posts isn't making it easy, especially if Misery really does capture some of that old Chernobyl dread.

Stalker stories are the absolute best game stories. Everyone has a few, they're all unique, and they're all crazy awesome. They're like nerd war tales. I WAS IN THE SHIT, MAN. I GOT "THE STARE."

I love it. No other series offers these sort of experiences.

e: Or what Pylon said, yeah.

RE: Clear Sky - as much as STALKER afficianados say this and that about various titles, I simply cannot deny that even at the franchise's subjectively weakest title, it's still a cut above most games out there. Admittedly, you have to find the ambience of traversing an irradiated shithole a glorious and intoxicating experience, but as it stands, the franchise is - for me - exactly what I want from the genre term "Role Playing Game".

Don't give me levels that awkwardly equate to gaining skills. Give me a gun, give me a jacket, give me an anti-rad and a greasy slice of deteriorating bully beef. And release me into the rain-soaked wilderness.

RE: War Stories - absolutely agree with you. You can be as reductionist as you like with STALKER, but when you are playing STALKER, you ARE A STALKER. I hate getting airy-fairy with games...nothing makes me cringe more than wanking on about motivation and characterisation in the medium...but holy shit, if these games don't hit the feeling of being "out there". Yeah, they are janky. They can break. But the atmosphere is so rich and morbid you can literally taste it.

I've started to really question my motives and modus operandi of late in Misery. I immediately check a figure skulking across the moors through the binoculars to see if he's got a weapon of note. Because, unlike any other game that gives me this choice, I then decide whether or not I will murder him in a swamp for his gun.

I used to be a good man in STALKER. But now? Now I'll consider the calibre of a man's firearm before I even ask the bastard's name.

At Yanov Station, I traipsed the perimeter in the rain, deciding to keep my checklist of runs for another day. Hearing the dull mumbling shuffle of reanimated STALKERs, I spotted them milling about in the rushes. My trusty FN2000 slotted a few rounds neatly in their skulls, their misery ending with the kindling of my own wry delight and carrion appetite. Found an OC-14 Groza in the dirt, must have belonged to one of those unfortunate men, so picking what I could from the corpses, I turned around and saw four more zombified Stalkers, in heavy armour and drawn by the gunfire.

They had cut between where I was now standing - knee deep in some turgid swamp water - and Yanov Station. I squatted in the filthy mire and began to draw a bead on the lead one when that ominous sound echoed across the landscape.

That sound. That stratospheric contraction, that ionospheric draining. The colossal, majestic yet paradoxically subtle preclude to a blow-out. And I was in for a run to make it back to Yanov...under the inaccurate machine gun bursts from glazed shamblers and a backpack full of fossicked, irradiated hardware and paraphernalia.

One hell of a fearful, breathless run it was.

Mafro

The furthest I got was after getting past the railway bridge for the first time and heading to a cattle ranch of sorts up-hill. Not very far at all, maybe a couple hours in.
There's plenty more to come, the frist time I played it I must have spent around 4 or 5 hours in that starting area. I'd say the game doesn't really get going until you reach the second and third areas and meet more of the other factions. That's when you start getting the scarier missions and see more mutants other than just the dogs and boars.

FACE

Banned
Here's a video of Misery 2.0: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKKcgORPd9k&feature=player_embedded

Hope it's released soon.

So I gather Stalker is basically some survival horror FPS type thing? Sounds like it's pretty good?

Should I buy both games on the sale today or just CoP?

Sethos

Banned
STALKER isn't really my cup of tea but I'll re-install CoP so I can snap a few 4k shots from Misery 2.0 - Might even surprise me and keep me hooked.

GusG

Neo Member
I have been following this guys mod and his work for years. He always releases quality stuff. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to it.

Facism

Call of Pripyat is on sale @ steam for the next 27 hours or so. £3.24, bought in anticipation of Misery 2.0.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
it's a survival FPS with no hand-holding. Your ass will be kicked.

Is there a "main quest" like Morrowind/et. al. or is it just a sandbox survival FPS? I have Clear Sky from when it went on sale during the Summer sale last year but haven't played it yet. Not sure if I should grab a Steam wallet $20 code and grab Clear Sky and Shadows of Chernobyl as well...

TraBuch

Banned
Maybe the wrong place to ask, but can the STALKER games be played stealthily? I enjoy being able to take out packs of enemies one by one without them ever knowing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is there a "main quest" like Morrowind/et. al. or is it just a sandbox survival FPS? I have Clear Sky from when it went on sale during the Summer sale last year but haven't played it yet. Not sure if I should grab a Steam wallet $20 code and grab Clear Sky and Shadows of Chernobyl as well...

Get Shadow of Chernobyl, it's the only one in the series worth playing (with Complete mod) in my opinion. I enjoyed the other two too, but SOC has the best locations, it's the scariest and has the best story + it's pretty focused so you'll always have stuff to do.

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but can the STALKER games be played stealthily? I enjoy being able to take out packs of enemies one by one without them ever knowing.

no, unfortunately. modders tried to code stealth in but it still sucks.

jehuty

Not in the Vanilla version of any of the current mods. But Misery 2.0 seems to have enabled the option to play stealthily. I have high hopes for this mod and a couple other ones that add new areas (and elevation) and even combine call of propyat wih boh shadow of chernobyl and clear skies. The STALKER mod community is really dedicated.

Watevaman

Call of Pripyat is on sale @ steam for the next 27 hours or so. £3.24, bought in anticipation of Misery 2.0.

Are you familiar with the STALKER way of things?

Because Misery isn't really the best mod for people who haven't played before.

Edit: And I played CoP with IWA fairly stealthily. It's not easy and not "true" stealth, but I rarely got into full blown firefights.

Oreoleo

Are you familiar with the STALKER way of things?

Because Misery isn't really the best mod for people who haven't played before.

Agreed. Don't take the title 'Misery' lightly. The mod will chew you up and spit you out. STALKER is hard enough as it is, jumping in for the first time with Misery would be bordering on masochism.

That said, I lost my Misery 1.0 save file about halfway through the game a few weeks ago so I'm pumped to restart with 2.0 in a couple days >:)

I_D

I think the longest I've managed to survive in Misery is about 10 minutes.

So far it's awesome.

OK people,

How do I recharge my Wind up flashlight... I have pressed every damn key on the keyboard and nothing happens I'm googling and I can't find anything, the light is piss weak and I can't see shit at night I have a knife and 1 bullet.

How do I recharge this piece of shit?

Dennis

Banned
How are the graphics in this mod?

And is it dark and dreary all the time with bad weather?

I hate it when it is dark and gloomy all the time. Can't see the graphics.

How are the graphics in this mod?

And is it dark and dreary all the time with bad weather?

I hate it when it is dark and gloomy all the time. Can't see the graphics.

I love that about this game, however I'll get you a screen shot.

Remember this is running on mid-low end laptop due to the shitty GPU. 2nd Gen i7 2.8/8GB 1333mhz/ Nvidia 540m 2GB, game runs well on medium.

My intro to this game, I start with nothing but a knife, I lost almost all my health had only a knife ran in 2 directions found monsters and I ran back to this place where I started it was night I couldnt see shit, suddenly a random even happens and bandits are fighting people who...for whatever reason won't kill me.

I'm now raiding gear from all the dead bodies.

So good, so unexpected.

Loving it!

F6DA807058D7B6B299F945516BA9A51846B92B47

Top Bottom