• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Gamescom presentation [Over]

Jackpot

Banned
--FINISHED--

Livestreams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtdyNFwQWo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C253ySfEguU (unofficial, 30 second delay)
https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Liveblog:
TBD

We're excited to be back at Gloria Theater on 9pm Friday, August 25th for another great show. Hosted by Chris Roberts, showcasing some of what we've been working on this year, and delivering some never-seen-before gameplay!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16061-Gamescom-2947-Details

2016 Gamescom Presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YBuFI3iI

In between screaming matches in the Community thread it's been suggested to post what you think would make the presentation a success and what would make it a failure.

Success

• Showing a cohesive game world with fleshed out gameplay loops, rather than a disparate collection of assets. You can make some beautiful contrails and atmospheric re-entry effects that function in isolation, but now's the time to start showing us a game instead of a tech demo.
  • Concrete release info for v1.0 of any of the modules.
No change
  • A gameplay/tech demo of a very narrow "vertical slice" that is just going from A to B of separate assets that trigger on pre-scripted command (what they showed last year)
  • Graphs, graphs and more graphs
  • No further release details
Failure
  • Announcing delays
  • Announcing new and unimplemented features
  • Ships, ships, and more ships for whales to buy

edit:

My reactions throughout:

• How long are we going to spend talking about facial animation and lip synching? It's impressive stuff that one day all high-end online social games will use but right now it's like showing the original Euphoria Animation demo videos when I came for GTA4. This is more tech demo stuff.
  • JUST HIT RESET!
  • Oh God, why did you hit reset? It's taken 29 minutes just to get back to where we were.
  • veFOrqf.gif
  • 1HICLDo.gif
  • Special edition Star Citizen web camera
Ok, jokes about live mishaps aside, this was not reassuring. It was a string of tech demos duct-taped together that was flying apart at the seams. Getting this to work with the "Massively" part of MMO looks unthinkable at this point

fanboi

Banned
But what do you do in this game? Oh wait, that was for another game.

*Checks troll book*

Erehm, why does CR drive a ferrari? HIS EMAILS

BENGAZI

Serious questions:

Is there any kind of timetable when this is going to be finished?

How does the pricing structure work? Do I need to spend a couple hundred bucks to have a decently good experience?

I was really hyped about this game a few yrs back, but pretty much gave up when development seemed to drag on forever. I'd love to get back onboard but not sure where to begin. I guess I can start googling... But figure GAF is a better starting point....

Serious questions:

How does the pricing structure work? Do I need to spend a couple hundred bucks to have a decently good experience?

I was really hyped about this game a few yrs back, but pretty much gave up when development seemed to drag on forever. I'd love to get back onboard but not sure where to begin. I guess I can start googling... But figure GAF is a better starting point....

A basic package like the Aurora will get you into the game immediately and into release, it's buy2play and further pledges are basically skipped progression. You'll be able to get every ship in the game in game.

Skade

Serious questions:

Nope. Or : later that we'd like.

You don't need to put much money in it. Just one of the starter packages (40 bucks i think ?) would be enough. You can always hop in someone else ship (with or without him) and have fun. And hopefully, we'll soon be able to buy ships in game with in-game money.

Chris Roberts: Whoa, there's plenty of meat in that demo. Throw in some AI, some gameplay objectives, narrative, baby you've got yourself a game!
Backers: I think I want my money back...
giphy.gif

~Cross~

So what they learned from last years presentation: Dont bore people to death with power point presentations. Their solution for this year? Bore people to death with UIs instead.

People keep spamming cringe in chat whenever the animation stuff is shown. What's cringey about facial tracking? Idiots.

Edit: Oh god the acting.

But what do you do in this game? Oh wait, that was for another game.

I was watching the Star Citizen multiplayer stream the other day and the hosts kept pointing out how great their procedurally generated planets were. They didn't even have the decency to say who they got that idea from. It feels a bit like they're trying to do everything that every other sci-fi space game is doing.

Top Bottom