• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

A delayed game is eventually good.
My backlog is grateful, Miyamoto-san.
Thank you for sparing my wallet, Miyamoto-san.
Lots of games releasing between now and release day.
Take all the time you need, Miyamoto-san.
I'll be able to finish MGSV by then.
A bad game is bad forever.

----

Maybe they wised up and realized saying "oh sure, we might add multiplayer if we get around to it" when the base game looked as underwhelming as the promotional material did was a bad idea and decided to actually follow through with the game's multi potential.

Effect

Ah, fair enough!

Here's the updated list:

They have no major game for November. Either they have something unannounced or they have to move something to fill that gap. Xenoblade Chronicles X would be a good one to get out before Black Friday in the US. They can't keep milking Splatoon in the west to make that a huge holiday seller. We don't have Mario Maker numbers so it wasn't a massive hit at release and likely can't carry November. DLC for Smash and Mario Kart will not do it either. Simply having bundles without a price drop won't do much as well. Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing Party aren't going to do shit in that window. Those games accompany larger release. They aren't the larger releases in anyway. Not together or separate.

So it's either pull out something unannounced or move Xenoblade up to November from Dec 5. That's what a two or three week difference. The game should be done by then with enough space to move it's release up a few weeks if it was hitting that first week in December.

A delayed game is eventually good.
My backlog is grateful, Miyamoto-san.
Thank you for sparing my wallet, Miyamoto-san.
Lots of games releasing between now and release day.
Take all the time you need, Miyamoto-san.
I'll be able to finish MGSV by then.
A bad game is bad forever.

----

Maybe they wised up and realized saying "oh sure, we might add multiplayer if we get around to it" when the base game looked as underwhelming as the promotional material did was a bad idea and decided to actually follow through with the game's multi potential.

But how can you finish something that is not complete?

I remember eagerly anticipating the first Star Fox. I would use the pay phone in my high school during lunch break every day to call Electronics Boutique and ask if Star Fox was in yet. Then it got delayed like a fucking year. And then again 6 months, I believe. But when I finally got it, it was so worth the wait. Oddly enough, I never played another Star Fox after that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Miyamoto never said, "a delayed game is eventually good" or anything similar. Miyamoto is too smart to say something so obviously incorrect. I mean, is Duke Nukem Forever good? That was delayed a lot.

He said that a delayed game is only delayed until it comes out, while a bad game is bad forever.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'll be they throw Amiibo Festival into November now.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Miyamoto never said, "a delayed game is eventually good" or anything similar. Miyamoto is too smart to say something so obviously incorrect. I mean, is Duke Nukem Forever good? That was delayed a lot.

He said that a delayed game is only delayed until it comes out, while a bad game is bad forever.

He said a delayed game CAN be eventually good.

Too bad Wii U is getting very little this year, good that they decided to make sure this game is good. Considering the lukewarm reaction Star Fox has recieved on GAF it seems like this can only be a good thing.

It's also good that I bought an Xbox One recently, haha. Now that I have two consoles I can just let Wii U garner games at its own pace, and I'll be fine.

Kyzer

Banned

Just bring out the source tho

Good maybe they can fill those bland and baren looking lvls. That corneria lvl is simply terrible graphicly speaking. I mean cmon the game looks like it's a nintendo 64 game still. The buildings and stuff look attrocious. Theres nothing that brings the scenery alive it all just looks like flat grass with rectangles or heavy blocky looking buildings sticking out to make us believe its a city. I will get hanged for saying this stuff im aware but i am a fan of this series. I think they could have done a better job. Why cant the world or grass look more like the zelda wii u world weve seen except with nice futiristic buildings. Instead we get a bland world.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"Future", not this year.

Six games in 2016, maybe a few more. But "future"?

Ehhhhhhhh.

There's no future for Wii U beyond 2016.

So.... like I said. 6 is generous. We don't even know if Pikmin 4 is for Wii U, and Zelda may not be exclusive as well. Mario & Sonic may have its fans, but for most its not worth mentioning. Pokken is niche. Star Fox looks very underwhelming. Xenoblade I'm not sure on yet but it's getting mixed reviews.

The fact that we're even talking about whether it's 5, 6 or 7 really says it all though. Whether it's 5 or 10, it's embarrassing. As a Nintendo fan, you're doing yourself a disservice if you try to defend that line up. You deserve better than that for your investment into their hardware.

I'm not defending anything, I was quite pissed off after E3 this year. I guess I reached the acceptance phase.

levyjl1988

Banned
Good that game was getting poor reception anyways. Now hopefully they can add in more characters and somehow make it into a space opera shooter game and not an old wii gam. They also better add Krystal in too and give her proper characterization!

Vidiot

I hope they at least do a kick ass Nintendo direct soon. Seeing more on this and Zelda would go a long way to appeasing the Nintendo fan boy in me right about now.

Good that game was getting poor reception anyways. Now hopefully they can add in more characters and somehow make it into a space opera shooter game and not an old wii gam. They also better add Krystal in too and give her proper characterization!

They're not going to rework the entire game in 3-4 months. I don't think they care about the quality at this point.

Revven

I really doubt this kind of delay would be enough to address much of anything most GAFfers had problems with (graphics, level design). It's most likely just going to make sure the two-screen gameplay actually works well enough and maybe give them time to add multiplayer (they did say they'd consider it beyond just the co-op they have).

But we'll see. I'm skeptical the time they're giving themselves would be enough to address anything we've already seen in a significant way.

Iced

Well now I regret cancelling my preorder from E3. It has been looking like a mess so far so I didn't want to risk forgetting it was in my Amazon order and having a crappy game sent to me, but it sounds like they want to add that extra layer of Nintendo polish. Hopefully it all works out.

MrBadger

The quote means that you should take the time necessary and not rush it. Duke Nukem Forever was passed from developer to developer and dipping in and out of development hell throughout its life. If one team spent ten years making it, I imagine it would have been good.

Effect

I really doubt this kind of delay would be enough to address much of anything most GAFfers had problems with (graphics, level design). It's most likely just going to make sure the two-screen gameplay actually works well enough and maybe give them time to add multiplayer (they did say they'd consider it beyond just the co-op they have).

But we'll see. I'm skeptical the time they're giving themselves would be enough to address anything we've already seen in a significant way.

Well the issues people had started as soon as the game was revealed back at E3. That was July. Say the game comes out March 2016. That's at least 7 to 8 months from the initial reveal and reaction, which likely was an old build, to a potential new release. That might be enough enough time to address other things. We don't know what the current state of the game is now or what they were trying to add. The demo they keep showing off is the E3 one.

ViciousDS

Banned
good......now get rid of the controller gimmick and let me use my big screen TV to play. I don't want to aim and look at the controller.

Nosgotham

This quote from Miyamoto has always struck me as ironic considering how obviously rushed Sunshine and Wind Waker were.

they arent obviously rushed. most people woukd not play those games and walk away going ''man they rushed those games out''. im all for the delay of star fox if it will make it better

Revven

Well the issues people had started as soon as the game was revealed back at E3. That was July. Say the game comes out March 2016. That's at least 7 to 8 months from the initial reveal and reaction, which likely was an old build, to a potential new release. That might be enough enough time to address other things. We don't know what the current state of the game is now or what they were trying to add. The demo they keep showing off is the E3 one.

Let's just say I have low expectations, really. It is true we haven't seen a new demo but I really doubt they would be able to address the common GAF complaints if it's a January or Feb. release.

VisciousDS said:
good......now get rid of the controller gimmick and let me use my big screen TV to play. I don't want to aim and look at the controller.

They've already said you can use twin stick for moving and aiming/shooting, the looking at the GamePad is completely optional.

papo

And how is that working out for them?

Nintendo has bigger problems than the gamepad though, but basically if you like the DS, and the DS was a huge hit, then the gamepad is just the same exact idea implemented on a console. If implemented correctly it would totally work, but game are too few and far in between and are not CoD types AAA that move consoles.

The game pad, while a good idea when used correctly, was a huge and costly mistake.

- Bumped the cost of the console way up and made price cuts difficult
- Caused confusion, as the focus was on the controller, leading people to believe it was just a Wii attachment, as Nintendo had sold tons of those in the past.
- Has a really terrible battery life that forces a player to either take a break or remain tethered to a wall with an outlet.
- Is comfortable once you get used to it, but it's a little awkward to hold at first, since it's so bulky.
- Difficult and expensive to replace if it gets lost, broken, or stolen.

I know it has issues and the way they went about it is all wrong, but like I said above the Wii U is basically a living room DS and that is a good idea. They just sucked at making a lot of content for it.

Has Nintendo ever released a GOTY edition of their games?

NSMBU + NSLU (+ some bonus "Super Play" videos) was a bundled game in some EU Wii U bundle (I've heard it's coming out as a solus edition in US too, right?).

EU Nintendo 2DS bundle featured New Super Mario Bros 2 "Special Edition" which inclided all additional Coin Rush levels and Coin Rush mode being unlocked from the start.

Lunar15

A delay to Q1 doesn't scream "they're fixing all the problems with this game" to me. It's not like we're going to see more footage in January and the graphics are going to be amazing and the speed will be any faster.

jmizzal

Good now add online, I like that Nintendo is willing to delay and not release unfinished games

And can they plz move Xenoblade CX to before Black Friday now

they arent obviously rushed. most people woukd not play those games and walk away going ''man they rushed those games out''. im all for the delay of star fox if it will make it better

Wind waker has blatantly cut dungeons. They clearly shipped them with less than they intended. 'And here's nayrus pearl, sorry no dungeon here'. I'd say that means it had to be rushed out, but that's obviously an opinion.

It looks like it plays like Star Fox 64.
But the impressions from people who played it describe the dual screen gameplay. Those coupled with the chicken walker and gyro copter make the game seem like it doesn't play like 64.

That could be good though, considering it's a 18-year-old, early 3D game.

Steph_E.

Hardcore crowd still has Xenoblade and the casual crowd has Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Mario Maker and amiibo festival.

Seriously, I do not fancy any of those. I was looking forward to Star Fox (and Zelda).
(Just for the record my Wii U games include, NSMBU + Luigi, SM3DW, WW, MK8, Splatoon, Nintendoland, Wii Fit U, MP10, Wii Party U, MP trilogy, Pikmin3, Lego City, plus many 3rd party games)

greg400

Banned
Seriously, I do not fancy any of those. I was looking forward to Star Fox (and Zelda).
(Just for the record my Wii U games include, NSMBU + Luigi, SM3DW, WW, MK8, Splatoon, Nintendoland, Wii Fit U, MP10, Wii Party U, MP trilogy, Pikmin3, Lego City, plus many 3rd party games)
StarFox is a niche title and one that doesn't look very good. Its presence this holiday isn't relevant as far as sales are concerned especially with it in its current state. So while you may not be interested in the other titles, they will sell much better than Star Fox (barring Xenoblade).

Teuoxton

Move Xenoblade CX to November with the original on VC, release Pikmin 4 on December 4th. Done and dusted, problem solved.

Oh god I hope so •~•

I could see Nintendo pushing Xenoblade X forward to November to fill the void left by Star Fox Zero.
I wouldn't mind this. I was actually going to wait on Xenoblade knowing I wanted Starfox and Persona 5 more. Now that both have been pushed, I'm back on Day 1 for Xeno.

Steph_E.

StarFox is a niche title and one that doesn't look very good. Its presence this holiday isn't relevant as far as sales are concerned especially with it in its current state. So while you may not be interested in the other titles, they will sell much better than Star Fox (barring Xenoblade).

Quite possibly, but I was looking at it from my point of view, and there is absolutely nothing there which even remotely interests me.

If it means that it's going to be more than what Starfox 64 was then I don't mind at all. One of the main concerns I had about this game is that it would be exactly like Starfox 64 in terms of story or core gameplay, so I'm okay with this being delayed if it means we're going to get a bigger and better game.

Lunar15

So of the remaining Nintendo wii U games that we know about, only a marginal few are being made by internal teams at Nintendo. #FE is being made by Atlus, Starfox by Platinum, Mario Tennis by Camelot.

All that leaves is Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and Zelda unless I'm forgetting something here.

greg400

Banned
Quite possibly, but I was looking at it from my point of view, and there is absolutely nothing there which even remotely interests me.
It's not like they cancelled the game, you'll just be getting a better version a couple months later.

My original post that you quoted had nothing to do with opinions of what individuals on a hardcore gaming forum would prefer to play. I was talking about the importance of the game with regards to sales vs their other holiday titles.

Top Bottom