• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

Iced

So of the remaining Nintendo wii U games that we know about, only a marginal few are being made by internal teams at Nintendo. #FE is being made by Atlus, Starfox by Platinum, Mario Tennis by Camelot.

All that leaves is Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and Zelda unless I'm forgetting something here.

Pikmin 4.

I thought the game looked like good fun and didn't deserve all the crap it's been getting, but I never liked the idea of the dual screen controls either. Maybe they'll add an option disable that and make it easier play entirely off the TV. Ideally with the pro controller.

Iced

That was announced so abruptly that I completely forgot about it.

Did he say for sure that it was a Wii U game, though? I can't remember.

Ah, yeah it might be an NX exclusive. I can't remember if he said it was coming for Wii U, or just that it was being worked on.

So of the remaining Nintendo wii U games that we know about, only a marginal few are being made by internal teams at Nintendo. #FE is being made by Atlus, Starfox by Platinum, Mario Tennis by Camelot.

All that leaves is Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival and Zelda unless I'm forgetting something here.

Animal Crossing Festival is in development at NDcube... also not one of the big teams.

Effect

They're not going to rework the entire game in 3-4 months. I don't think they care about the quality at this point.

I agree reworking the entire game isn't likely to happen. More detail to assets like the ground, trees, etc should be doable. Adding more enemies on screen should be possible. Perhaps some effects to show off the speed you are flying to make the game seem faster then it might actually be. All of that might be possible with the extra months if they weren't already working on that stuff.

The big thing ultimately for me is multiplayer. Be it local with the ability to have bots for some mindless shooting fun in an all range mode or a versus all range mode or a co-op rail gun shooter mode would be idea.

There simply needed to be more content in the game based on what they were presenting and impressions they were giving off. The trade off of the visuals for the control method was not enough and no way good trade off or acceptable. I don't care if the game is 60FPS if it doesn't look nice. A game like Star Fox where visuals are primarily what you will be seeing it's super important they look good or at least good enough and Star Fox Zero didn't.

I think this is what some people aren't understanding when people talk about the visuals. No one is saying they need them to look game of the generation amazing. They just need to look comparable to other Wii U games and SF0 doesn't. There is texture work that makes it seem like they just uprezzed the 64 remake or something. My original thought at E3 had me wondering if they just took the assets from Star Fox 64 3D and only changed some of them. That's how questionable that Corneria level. The only level that I feel is "good" is the one where you save Peppy instead of Slippy.

That was announced so abruptly that I completely forgot about it.

Did he say for sure that it was a Wii U game, though? I can't remember.

No platform was ever announced. Could very well be a 3DS for all we know.

Nintendo's holiday really is hilariously bad now. Xenoblade is the only thing there that isn't vaguely embarrassing. Mario Tennis? Animal Crossing: Excuse to Sell Amiibo? Devil's Third!? Heavy hitters all around. Fallout 4 is positively quaking in its boots.

MrGoomba

I don't mind if it's a delay to make a game better. But, Nintendo, please stop giving us dates if you are not sure of them

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo's holiday really is hilariously bad now. Xenoblade is the only thing there that isn't vaguely embarrassing. Mario Tennis? Animal Crossing: Excuse to Sell Amiibo? Devil's Third!? Heavy hitters all around. Fallout 4 is positively quaking in its boots.

The Wii U is already dead and was going to get destroyed whether it had StarFox or not.

It's better than Nintendo focus on making a quality title in an almost-dead franchise than rushing something out just so Wii U can have a holiday title. Anybody who wanted a new StarFox already owns a Wii U, this delay won't change anything.

tbd

Huge Fallout fan and I'd take Xenoblade over three new Fallout 3 style Fallouts. Sorry if you aren't that interested in any of those titles.

foltzie1

Mario Maker DLC?

This is the right call and I'm glad Nintendo made it. Still, it leaves the company in a tough spot with only Xenoblade to carry the holiday. It's not quite niche, perhaps, but neither is XCX mainstream. It's a tough sell, particularly with a soon-to-be-expanded Witcher and SF competition from a resurgent Destiny.

Star Fox isn't being made by Platinum, Platinum is helping out with the graphics. Otherwise it is completely Nintendo.

If it were being fully made by Platinum, I'd be a lot more excited.

I had a feeling this would be delayed. I'm actually relieved, as the game does look a bit rough as of right now. I don't have much free time to play games right now anyway and the little that I do is going to be devoted to Mario Maker. That game has me hooked.

This is pretty upsetting. Was really looking forward to Star Fox though I can't say I'm surprised.

Nintendo is in a really strange place right now. They are transitioning to a new President while a new console and new handheld will be announced in the near future.

Whatever their issues are, I truly hope Nintendo is getting them worked out because they can't afford these type of repeated issues when they launch their next console. Droughts and delays in the launch window will once again kill any kind of momentum they can gain.

Hopefully, they take the time they need now and make sure that this isn't something that happens repeatedly on their new hardware. I understand some delays are going to happen, but when your lineup is already thin, you really can't afford multiple delays like they had this year with Zelda and now Star Fox.

Three post quotes in a row!? I'm so popular!

The Wii U is already dead and was going to get destroyed whether it had StarFox or not.

It's better than Nintendo focus on making a quality title in an almost-dead franchise than rushing something out just so Wii U can have a holiday title. Anybody who wanted a new StarFox already owns a Wii U, this delay won't change anything.

Obviously I agree that when Star Fox releases is totally inconsequential to the Wii U's fate. It seems like the game's gonna sleepily meander its way onto the scene with no fanfare at all, probably underperforming on the back of moderately positive but totally uninterested reviews. It's shaping up to be the epitome of "Hey remember that game? No, the other one. Yeah. Weird controls. 8/10, never played it." Game releases don't get much less exciting.

I'm just saying, for someone who already owns a Wii U (say), Nintendo's holiday is hilariously weak.

Huge Fallout fan and I'd take Xenoblade over three new Fallout 3 style Fallouts. Sorry if you aren't that interested in any of those titles.

I didn't even insult Xenoblade (that's for the reviewers to do! ba dum tish!). I insulted everything else.

Mario Maker DLC?

Oh, you got me! How could I have forgotten! One new DLC stage for a fighting game that already has 50 stages! Nintendo is saved! It's the gaming event of the decade! This miracle will soften the stony hearts of the masses, and they shall return to right worship of Nintendo, their one true lord!

Come on now. When the best you've got to defend Nintendo's holiday lineup is "Um, Nintendo's putting out a new stage for Smash," don't you think you're proving my point rather than refuting it?

Cheddahz

Banned
Star Fox isn't being made by Platinum, Platinum is helping out with the graphics. Otherwise it is completely Nintendo.

Are they not being paid jack shit or anything to help out with the graphics? This game looks like an OG Xbox launch title and that would be impressive in 2001, but this is 2015 (well, a 2016 game now) and that's just not acceptable for a $60 title

Who

Banned

This is a great point that makes me incredibly excited for the NX...

If only it were that simple....

Platforms need games to maintain relevance. Telling the dev to take more time is nice and all, but what will the parents buy this Christmas and what will the kids play?

There's Mario Maker, Yoshi Yarn, Mario Tennis,Xenoblade X Chronicles and maybe they missed Splatoon earlier this year.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.

None of those games compete with fallout 4?

PMS341

None of those games compete with fallout 4?

79yNDxA.png

Who

Banned
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be angry at all if Zelda and Starfox are completely cancelled for the WiiU, as in not released at all, so as to make the NX that much more appealing. I want Nintendo to succeed so badly lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Star Fox Zero was prototyped internally and is being developed at a production level with Platinum Games and BeeTribe/HexaDrive? But if you read Kotatku's article, it's still being developed at Nintendo's Kyoto Development Center with the external developers mainly traveling there.

Animal Crossing Festival is in development at NDcube... also not one of the big teams.

That's also misinformation. It seems that Nd Cube may have joined the team to add some small mini-games and additional content. We are not even sure. Both games were conceived at Nintendo. Additional help doesn't negate their internal expenditure.

I mean it looked REALLY bad, and bereft of new good ideas. And I really don't think that's gonna change in 3-4 months. The whole 60fps on both screens, the conservative approach to the game design...it is what it is. Perhaps it just won't look at ugly when it comes out in February.

Roll on, new Nintendo console. This one's done.

Markoman

Lol, I'm at peace now. I knew that my WiiU will basically end up being a SSB,MC, Bayo2 machine. But guess what Nintendo? I'm not sure if I will ever do something lavish like that again.

Give the reins to Platinum, pls. It won't be quite like how they saved Metal Gear Rising, but any more of their input will be welcome.

Save us, P*

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

If it were being fully made by EPD without Miyamoto's "tablet" vision, the world would be a better place. But as far as who is doing what; we know Nintendo prototyped and programmed the basic mechanics of the game. Platinum Games is definitely providing the majority of the art (although PG farms out like half their art to Beetribe/Avant/Hexadrive so we will see what that even means). I also think PG is programming the bosses, but we don't know the details yet.

robor

I hope this means they're eliminating priority with control screen and just allowing us to play classically.

I just hope they do that for the most part and tweek what's already there. I hope to god they are not eliminating that camera-wrap mode. I thought that was a really unique and interesting addition to open-range flight combat.

Here's hoping anyways.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Feeling pretty gutted. I know SFZ looked rough, but I was still psyched for new StarFox.

Best Buy will get to hold onto my preorder money for quite a while, it seems. I wonder what this means for the pins I was supposed to get for preordering and buying two Nintendo games. I preordered Yoshi and StarFox. Now one of them might not be out until March — will they wait until then to send out pins?

Porcile

But the impressions from people who played it describe the dual screen gameplay. Those coupled with the chicken walker and gyro copter make the game seem like it doesn't play like 64.

That could be good though, considering it's a 18-year-old, early 3D game.

I would say to watch the two Titania levels side by side and tell me how dissimilar they are. Anyway, it's up to you after 18 years of not having it, whether you want an expansion of Star Fox 64's gameplay or not.

Top Bottom