• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

Astral Dog

Forget delaying it a few months, this game needs a substantial overhaul to make it look anything more than average and forgettable.

And that's probably not going to happen, so the most I hope for is Nintendo doesn't let this title tarnish the chances of the IP being revisited in the future, hopefully by someone other than the guy preventing the series from making any worthwhile evolution.

To be fair, there were many attemps at changing and "evoluting" the series by different studios before coming to a 3DS Remaster, but anyways, a shame this is the curent state of the series at least lets hope the game is better than it looks.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm not even sure what to think of this game anymore...I still want to play it, but if they completely revamp it for the NX I'd be ok with it.

Guys if this game was delayed for NX it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. NX probably won't have a touch screen, and the graphics for this starfox are barely passable for a Wii U game, so they would need a major upgrade so the NX has a good first impression as a console. If I were Nintendo, I would cut my losses and release the game as is in April. Similar to Devils 3rd I guess

EBreda

This had clusterfuck written all over it since the terrible reveal. The insistence in using the motion sensors on the WiiU pad for anything seems to be horrible. Graphics looked horrid.

It was supposed to be a smaller experience but somehow N made the devs change de scope of the game to such us out of 60. This rarely goes well.

Delaying is very, very reasonable.

KingBroly

Banned
I kinda have to wonder what can be done about it at this point, assuming it's as terrible as the rumors suggest (I'm going to say this is severe exaggeration myself).

A 3-4 month delay wouldn't fix a complete overhaul or re-thinking of what to do for a large portion of the game's mechanics.

Scrap the Game Pad elements and rework it for NX. Just focus on making a good fucking Star Fox game, not on justifying the existence of a hardware gimmick.

Not likely, I know, but one can always hope.

J@hranimo

Banned
Guys if this game was delayed for NX it would have to be rebuilt from the ground up. NX probably won't have a touch screen, and the graphics for this starfox are barely passable for a Wii U game, so they would need a major upgrade so the NX has a good first impression as a console. If I were Nintendo, I would cut my losses and release the game as is in April. Similar to Devils 3rd I guess

If the previous rumors were true, then the gameplay not being polished would still be very bad for the game releasing in April.

If THIS rumor is true as well, then the debate is probably either delay it and have no bigger games for Spring on Wii U or just release as is. It's almost a lose-lose situation here. It also makes sense it's hush hush and we're like a month and a half out with no new footage or a Direct.

watershed

Banned
I'm not saying this is going to be a bad game, but at what point does Nintendo just bite the bullet and release a bad game? They've done it before (AC:Amiibo Fest & Mario Tennis WiiU come to mind), they'll do it again at some point.

I remember that E3 where Miyamoto showed off all that esoteric crap away from the main show. It was like Nintendo were trying to hide the fact that he'd gone totally off the reservation or something.

It was such an odd way to reveal three projects, and each looked super-rough. Here we are before the release of one of them, and initial demo reports are as underwhelming as the first reveal.

Get it together Miyamoto. You're one of my heroes :(

He's done. Let's just nod our heads until he steps out of the limelight.

Without this, all Wii U has is Pokken Tournament lol, even then I think the Wii U is pretty much dead with the new console coming out possibly later this year.

Josh5890

I've waited too long for Nintendo to make a new Star Fox game, but if this game is as bad as the rumors are saying, I will cry.

gamerMan

There is no saving this game. I can't imagine it turning out good from what they showed. Nintendo should scrap it and let Platinum make it from scratch on the NX.

Instro

The power of name reputation at work. If a game project is in trouble and someone you respect and idolize is involved, it must be because in spite of all his brilliant efforts, the project is not going the right way. Everyone else is to blame. If a game project is going really well and the game looks awesome and someone you respect and idolize is involved, it must be because of his brilliant guidance and leadership that the game turned out that way. Everyone else was just following his lead. Yup.

Nevermind the actual directors, producers, game designers, programmers, artists, level designers, etc working on a game. None of them can compare to the power of Miyamoto's brilliance even though no one knows what the heck he even does on individual projects these days other than managing overall development on a studio level. Lol.

Agree, it's really stupid.

It doesn't, it's just all the rumor talk in the air is a downer. I'm still in the camp that is looking forward to the game and is interested in the other gameplay styles.

That reminds me, Project Guard has been hinted in being absorbed into Star Fox Zero, but is the same true for Project Giant Robot?

Project Robot, Project Guard and Star Fox all seem to be going well
Lol. I can't think about these games without hearing Bosman's voice in my head.
The power of name reputation at work. If a game project is in trouble and someone you respect and idolize is involved, it must be because in spite of all his brilliant efforts, the project is not going the right way. Everyone else is to blame. If a game project is going really well and the game looks awesome and someone you respect and idolize is involved, it must be because of his brilliant guidance and leadership that the game turned out that way. Everyone else was just following his lead. Yup.

Nevermind the actual directors, producers, game designers, programmers, artists, level designers, etc working on a game. None of them can compare to the power of Miyamoto's brilliance even though no one knows what the heck he even does on individual projects these days other than managing overall development on a studio level. Lol.
This is just too good.

Deep down I want them to delay this game and give it a good rework. Preferably release it on NX. I just didn't like much of what we've seen of it. That's just my opinion though, but I feel it could benefit being released on NX(based on our current speculation of what NX is).

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Star Fox Zero |OT| Still waiting for Star Fox 2

I'm really disappointed in how this looks like it will play. Adventures and Assault looked a million times better, even if one of them wasn't really a Star Fox game, at least it was different. I'm shocked that gyro controls are mandatory too.

Regiruler

Release it in april, it would never live up to Uprising anyway.

EDIT: Althougy delaying it could put pressure for more Splatoon DLC. Hm...

ASIS

All of this would make sense if he didn't deserve his reputation.

Hmm no? Gamepad is great when is actually used.

I think they are alluding to topics like how the gamepad drove up the price of the WiiU and how many games don't take advantage of it, but all this has been discussed to death and would go off topic if we continue.

Edit: Nvm he got banned while I was typing up my post. Dang that GG thread is rough.

MoonFrog

Just wondering if people realize that Miyamoto became a big deal when teams were much smaller than today and had a lot of the genre defining ideas both in the pre-NES through NES days and again in the N64 days. It is revisionist history to act like he hasn't had a huge impact on gaming.

Beyond this, at least the way Nintendo employees describe it, he has been very influential in shaping products from the original Metroid Prime to, yes, Sticker Star. If you want to deny larger than life figures just because you cannot believe, go ahead. But you're not being some "realist" above the heads of low information posters. You're being wrong.

AniHawk

they really should make this and paper mario into nx games.

the wii u should just get twilight princess hd, #fe, and zelda wii u (not tphd) and call it a generation.

this reeeeeeally obviously needs time in the oven too.

Tookay

Wait, I'm confused. Are we seriously diminishing the role Miyamoto played in the classics? No doubt, other people were involved in those, but he wrangled all of it together. That's why we give him credit for it - and that's why we (for the most part) credit him for the bad decisions too, because he's managing/directing/producing the whole affair. That's the way we discuss collaborative works in the entertainment industry.

Am I missing something here?

AniHawk

Just wondering if people realize that Miyamoto became a big deal when teams were much smaller than today and had a lot of the genre defining ideas both in the pre-NES through NES days and again in the N64 days. It is revisionist history to act like he hasn't had a huge impact on gaming.

Beyond this, at least the way Nintendo employees describe it, he has been very influential in shaping products from the original Metroid Prime to, yes, Sticker Star. If you want to deny larger than life figures just because you cannot believe, go ahead. But you're not being some "realist" above the heads of low information posters. You're being wrong.

i actually cannot believe the guy catches shit for sticker star. sticker star is a perfectly fine action-adventure game in a world-level format. it is what it is and works. and compared to super paper mario, it doesn't waste its potential in the worst of ways.

miyamoto's had really bad ideas before, like well, star fox zero's control schemes and allowing retro's continued existence, but sticker star did its job.

I think it's clear that the problem with this game, which on a different scale also beset Skyward Sword (which, if I recall, sold poorly relative to the expectations of the Zelda brand and the gigantic, saturated Wii install base), is that we are at a point in the lifespan of the system when the owners themselves have drawn firm conclusions about whether the platform's unique control scheme is up their alley or not, and a new game isn't about to persuade them.

I'm more bullish on Star Fox Zero than most (just as I adored Skyward Sword and am generally warm to motion aiming), and I don't mind a further delay, but it seems to me that no amount of polish or quality will bring in the people who want their Star Fox 64-2 with sticks, a single screen, and more obviously spectacular graphics. That market segment was already lost and could never have been won. Those of you in this camp know who you are and also know that you wanted a different game from the concept up.

I, for one, will play it. I like my Nintendo wacky.

This is essentially correct.

Where Sticker Star is concerned, I had my share of problems with the game (mainly the "inventory check" boss mechanics) but none of them had to do with the effect Miyamoto's detractors pinned on him. But Internet Conventional Wisdom has a way of snowballing into stupid, incessantly repeated talking points that never go away.

leroidys

I'm usually the type of person that balks at changing platforms for a game, but at this point they should just move it to NX and throw in some online multiplayer.

TDLink

There's no denying the role Miyamoto has played in shaping the industry. Anyone who says otherwise is plain wrong.

That is completely separate from Star Fox Zero though. This game is clearly being forced to utilize the gamepad in a way that simply doesn't work for the type of game that Star Fox is. This scheme being forced upon Star Fox is creating a game for no one...not even one Nintendo themselves are comfortable with apparently.

Vena

If this is going back to NCL to be discussed yet again, I think its more than likely going to get delayed again. Going back to NCL likely means it failed QA from NoE (I believe that was who the previous rumor mentioned doing the testing with their department).

ACAF and Tennis were functioning but barren games, but this is seemingly an outright broken game.

i actually cannot believe the guy catches shit for sticker star. sticker star is a perfectly fine action-adventure game in a world-level format. it is what it is and works. and compared to super paper mario, it doesn't waste its potential in the worst of ways.

miyamoto's had really bad ideas before, like well, star fox zero's control schemes and allowing retro's continued existence, but sticker star did its job.

Explain please.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What the hell is happening in this thread?

dafuq.gif

Top Bottom