• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Imagine.

The game is out on april 18.
They delayed it to Fill the 16 lineup and tweaking simple aspects of the game.
Game still has gyro and dual screen modes because this is the basic of the game
They even added online

And still the internet already decided the game sux because of rumors.

What if these rumors are made up?
Doesnt matter.

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

As prematurely and unfairly as Star Fox Zero is treated, I don't feel sorry for it at all.

I want to give Federation Force a huge hug though.

To be fair, there were many attemps at changing and "evoluting" the series by different studios before coming to a 3DS Remaster, but anyways, a shame this is the curent state of the series at least lets hope the game is better than it looks.
Sure, but I was referring to the times it has been handled by EAD and Miyamoto specifically.

TDLink

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

It doesn't matter because people want the delays. The people who were ok with how this game looked at E3 are a minority. And every Star Fox fan knows that the controls are what makes the whole experience what it is. Completely changing that in service to justifying the gamepad ruins that. So even if it comes out on the 18th of April, yes it will "suck" if the thing that was never broken about Star Fox suddenly is. Now maybe a different experience, despite not being the Star Fox of old, is still fun. Sure, that's possible. But reactions from people who have gotten their hands on it are mixed at best. Even those who ended up enjoying their time said it took them a while to pick up the controls and it definitely was not intuitive. If these rumours have even a shred of truth to them, it goes beyond that. It is very obvious the controls are negatively affecting level design.

KingBroly

Banned
As prematurely and unfairly as Star Fox Zero is treated, I don't feel sorry for it at all.

I want to give Federation Force a huge hug though.

Federation Force deserves to be left in whatever trash can they got the design documents from.

These Star Fox Zero rumors are starting to feel...a bit desperate for some reason. Dunno why, it just feels like a 'please let this be true' kinda thing.

zeromcd73

Nintendo announces Star Fox delay next week. No release date given.

@E3
Star Fox trailer begins
Shows the Wii U pad.
BAM Star Fox comes bursting through the game pad IN HIS Arwing smashing it into peices
NX EXCLUSIVE 2017 completely revamped grapix

zeromcd73

They'd get destroyed for doing that since they're not doing it with Zelda (Making it NX exclusive I mean).
Oh, I was just being a dick. Unlike Zelda I still expect Star Fox to be a Wii u exclusive even if it gets a delay. Star Fox is clearly a low budget game they farmed out to Platinum to do the coding so internal resources could be used elsewhere unlike big budget/effort Zelda. Unless it is so bad (like one or two reports have claimed) and can't be saved requiring a complete project reboot, I don't see being anything other than a Wii U exclusive.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair, there were many attemps at changing and "evoluting" the series by different studios before coming to a 3DS Remaster, but anyways, a shame this is the curent state of the series at least lets hope the game is better than it looks.

most of them were halfhearted though, and one of them was rushed

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This game is the worst one to be delayed to NX. It already looks like old gen on Wii U, it will look antique on NX. No, release it like it is on Wii U and make one from scratch on NX with a real budget and not re-using the same levels.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Does this meeting spells doom? Couldn't it be something planned at the time the delay was decided as a milestone to decide whether to go through with releasing the game?

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

The problem arent rumours, its the scope of the project. Plain and simple.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
There's noting wrong with gyro controls, they were perfect in 643D. The trouble is that Miyamoto has combined then with a cockpit view which limits the scope of the game.

Having to render two different gameplay perspectives is not worth doing when it so clearly affects the graphics, number of enemies etc. If they do delay it again, they need to dump the Gamepad view and render everything on the TV. It wouldn't change the way the game plays at all. Miyamoto has always liked the idea of people having fun by watching someone else play, and the cinematic view on the TV is obviously designed for that, but it's not worth it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Something is wrong with Star Fox somehow.

In Smash 4 you could see it. They manage to get this stage from Assault yet somehow sanitize it with anything related to Assault, like it was a slap to the fanbase.

Compare that to Smash Brawl where, despite being a made-up stage, the Lylat Cruise had tons of fanservice.

The fact that we've basically seen nothing new since last June and it's out next month is really all you need to know. I have "Zero" expectations for this one. Nintendo should just cut their losses and release it.

Richie

Thing is, this would be the first new Star Fox game in almost a decade. If it releases to low reviews and lower sales, I don't see them bothering with the franchise in a looong time. If that happens because of stubbornness to stick with a control method no one asked for, that'd be a shame.

I love Miya but if anything I think his insistence to make this a Gamepad showcase is the root of the game's problems.

I agree. They're crowbarring in a control method that no-one else asked for or wants.

Project Robot, Project Guard and Star Fox all seem to be going well

I know you're joking, but haven't the former two basically been canned? They both seemed like uninteresting concepts and I wouldn't be surprised if they went nowhere.

Meanwhile metroid and F-zero are still ignored
Thanks nintendo

Hey! We're getting Federation Force!

2016 is probably going to be remembered as the year Nintendo killed two beloved franchises. It sucks.

Ok, maybe not, but I'm still pretty disappointed in their decisions as of late.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I know you're joking, but haven't the former two basically been canned? They both seemed like uninteresting concepts and I wouldn't be surprised if they went nowhere.

5.jpg

Shiggy

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

Tamaki has a relatively good track record when it comes to Treehouse or NST insights, be it the Devil's Third, Project Hammer, or Mario vs. DK Amiibo stories. I have no reason to believe that he suddenly makes up rumours such as that Treehouse is criticising the game's quality or that Nintendo is thinking of delaying the game again.

Especially as it fits in line with the big quality issues the game apparently had last year.

To give my all-too-important perspective, I think if Nintendo isn't careful, Star Fox Zero could set back the series further than any Star Fox game before it.

Federation Forces too, though I think that has more potential to be a good game (but a bad Metroid).

I agree. They're crowbarring in a control method that no-one else asked for or wants.

Both are still on Nintendo's upcoming games line up for WiiU. So if they are canned, they are not telling their PR team.
I'm pretty sure they are not happening. I'm still holding out hope for the one game that will get me to import a WiiU: Walawigi's Sneak in Love

Ushojax

If the game is seriously below-par then they cannot release it, it would put the franchise on ice for a decade the same way Metroid Other M did. Nintendo cannot afford to damage it's big IPs by releasing poor quality titles.

Mdk7

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

The game was far from good at last E3 (both in terms of graphics and gameplay).
Then it was postponed.
Then the rumors, coming from a believable source.

Shiggy

Both are still on Nintendo's upcoming games line up for WiiU. So if they are canned, they are not telling their PR team.
I'm pretty sure they are not happening. I'm still holding out hope for the one game that will get me to import a WiiU: Walawigi's Sneak in Love

Those investor relations release schedules are often not indicative in such cases. At last E3, Nintendo said that ideas from both projects have been merged into SF Zero. And thanks to Trev's leaks we know that there will only be Zelda, Pokemon Tekken, Star Fox Zero, Fire Emblem, and Paper Mario coming from Nintendo for Wii U this year.

If the game is seriously below-par then they cannot release it, it would put the franchise on ice for a decade the same way Metroid Other M did. Nintendo cannot afford to damage it's big IPs by releasing poor quality titles.

I would love for them to take this stance but I just don't see it. I mean, I guess it's possible (Star Fox 2, anyone?) but it'd be insane if they cancelled one of the few Wii U games coming this year. I really don't think delays are going to fix this game either. It seems to be a bad product at its very core.

Ushojax

I would love for them to take this stance but I just don't see it. I mean, I guess it's possible (Star Fox 2, anyone?) but it'd be insane if they cancelled one of the few Wii U games coming this year. I really don't think delays are going to fix this game either. It seems to be a bad product at its very core.

If they take the decision to postpone it again, then they will rework it for the NX. The Wii U does not have the horsepower to deliver a modern StarFox experience with the dual screen gameplay, nor does it have more than a few months left to live. If it doesn't come out now it needs to be moved to new hardware and given another year in the oven. Just let Platinum work their magic. There is nothing to be gained from releasing a franchise title that their own internal QA people are criticising. It will sell poorly and damage the IP. The Wii U only has a few months left to live, it's not like it really matters.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So? "Temp" and "TBC" for two games listed with what are obviously still working titles doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I expect both games to disappear in due course and they probably won't be mentioned again.

I was just answering to your question. They are not formally canned, that's all. And still being used in PR as decoy.

If they take the decision to postpone it again, then they will rework it for the NX. The Wii U does not have the horsepower to deliver a modern StarFox experience with the dual screen gameplay, nor does it have more than a few months left to live. If it doesn't come out now it needs to be moved to new hardware and given another year in the oven. Just let Platinum work their magic. There is nothing to be gained from releasing a franchise title that their own internal QA people are criticising. It will sell poorly and damage the IP. The Wii U only has a few months left to live, it's not like it really matters.

Here's hoping they do this.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It doesn't matter because people want the delays. The people who were ok with how this game looked at E3 are a minority. And every Star Fox fan knows that the controls are what makes the whole experience what it is. Completely changing that in service to justifying the gamepad ruins that. So even if it comes out on the 18th of April, yes it will "suck" if the thing that was never broken about Star Fox suddenly is. Now maybe a different experience, despite not being the Star Fox of old, is still fun. Sure, that's possible. But reactions from people who have gotten their hands on it are mixed at best. Even those who ended up enjoying their time said it took them a while to pick up the controls and it definitely was not intuitive. If these rumours have even a shred of truth to them, it goes beyond that. It is very obvious the controls are negatively affecting level design.

What I mean is that these rumors are blowing on the scepticism based on the rough look and on the different control setup, while being based on them.
when the game will come out and will present itself for what it has alwasy been intended to be, there will be people liking it and people disliking it, as it is normal.
but after these rumors, who will dislike the game will exploit these rumors to legitimate their point of view, saying that "Nintendo knew that the game sux, will all know that", without any actual fact to sustain what, so far, has been a normal development (because a 4 month long delay doesn't tell us absolutely nothing about the game quality perception in Nintendo)
I have played the game and I can totally see many people not liking it because it IS different from the classic setup (even if it is possible in the vast majority of the situations to look at the tv screen and aim with that reticule), as back in the Wii days many people didn't like many games because of a different control approach.
But as many Wii games weren't broken, despite many people calling them that way, from what I've played neither Star fox zero isn't broken.

Ushojax

What I mean is that these rumors are blowing on the scepticism based on the rough look and on the different control setup, while being based on them.
when the game will come out and will present itself for what it has alwasy been intended to be, there will be people liking it and people disliking it, as it is normal.
but after these rumors, who will dislike the game will exploit these rumors to legitimate their point of view, saying that "Nintendo knew that the game sux, will all know that", without any actual fact to sustain what, so far, has been a normal development (because a 4 month long delay doesn't tell us absolutely nothing about the game quality perception in Nintendo)
I have played the game and I can totally see many people not liking it because it IS different from the classic setup (even if it is possible in the vast majority of the situations to look at the tv screen and aim with that reticule), as back in the Wii days many people didn't like many games because of a different control approach.
But as many Wii games weren't broken, despite many people calling them that way, from what I've played neither Star fox zero isn't broken.

"Not being broken" is not a good enough standard for a game like this. What is the point in reviving a classic franchise only to release a sub-par product? It's the same with Metroid Federation Force, don't bring a franchise back from the dead with a half-baked game. Do it properly or don't do it at all.

The rumours are not based on E3 impressions, they come from sources within Nintendo. Something is obviously going down because we are a month away from release and we have seen nothing at all for months. If the game were on track they would have been releasing regular media updates. They obviously don't feel comfortable showing the game, if they had a game worth hyping they would be doing it.

Imagine.

They even added online

Doesnt matter.

If the game is great people will be happy. Most people are happy when a worrying game turns out well.

But, if several sources are saying the game is of questionable qualify maybe it's not looking good?

Personally, I feel like it's likely the game isn't going to turn out well based on everything we've heard/seen. But if the game turns out amazingly I'll be pleased. Do you see a problem with this?

To give my all-too-important perspective, I think if Nintendo isn't careful, Star Fox Zero could set back the series further than any Star Fox game before it.

Federation Forces too, though I think that has more potential to be a good game (but a bad Metroid).

I doubt anything could be worse than Adventures.

Something is wrong with Star Fox somehow.

In Smash 4 you could see it. They manage to get this stage from Assault yet somehow sanitize it with anything related to Assault, like it was a slap to the fanbase.

Compare that to Smash Brawl where, despite being a made-up stage, the Lylat Cruise had tons of fanservice.

I don't get where this is coming from. Only thing that comes to mind is how they use SF643D actors for the localized cameos and that's because they're the current VAs.

Calling it a "slap to the fanbase" is a bit extreme when they spent over a year developing it. It's the most ambitious stage in the game and it shows.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
sorry guys but the several sources...aren't several.
and the believable source was strongly criticized ferw months ago for other rumors here on GAF.
So, you see my point, that is not: "game is gud buy it" lol, but that a rumor can't be judge reliable just because it overlap GAF commons perception of a game

This generation and the last for Nintendo have just exhausted me. I have supported Nintendo heavily over the last few years, I mean, I even bought the DSi XL ffs. I could give a long winded explanation of how there have been positives to give more credibility to by criticisms but I don't have the energy right now.

I was excited for the gamepad initially, but my official stance now is that I hate it and it completely blows. The game that made the best use of it was Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. I remember a feeling of immense satisfaction to just see it go dark so that I could enjoy the game without the gimmicks. Honestly I don't even give a shit about this new Starfox game and I bought Starfox 64 3D with the hopes of showing Nintendo there was indeed interest in a new Starfox title. This isn't what anyone wanted. No one actually wants to use the gamepad and hold an awkward fisher price hunk of plastic moving it around constantly to play an on-rails shooter. I'm sick of it. Zelda 2016 is the last announced game I'm excited for and its the reason I purchased the Wii U. What's funny about that is that I'm now hoping that it comes to the NX so I don't have to play it on my Wii U. I own the system already and I'm desperate for it to go somewhere else without even knowing what it is because that's how dissatisfied I am with the hardware that is the Wii U. Hopefully the NX can provide somewhere actually fun and not gimmicky to play.

Top Bottom