• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 Trailer with gameplay on XBLM

Quazar

As for gameplay, Star Ocean IV will be very similar to Star Ocean III. For those who didn't play the previous Star Ocean, that means real-time combat that takes place in arenas separate from the travel field of the game world. The combat will be "flashier and speedier" with new too-be-announced features. But at its core, it will be Star Ocean III. That's a very good thing. And yes, you can expect some form of item creation as well.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 spring 2009, Square-Enix is keeping a tight wrap on the game for the time being. But if it's going to play like Star Ocean III and lack the what-the-eff plot twist, then it's going to be an RPG worth the wait.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
"Speedier" is a word I like. 60fps Battles = Win and I hope they bring back Item Creation in its full SO2 realized glory. Skills too!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
BlueTsunami said:
"Speedier" is a word I like. 60fps Battles = Win and I hope they bring back Item Creation in its full SO2 realized glory. Skills too!
Nah, a mix of the two would be nice.

Let me create items anywhere, drop the inventors thing, let me customize weapons the way I could in SO3, the ability to refine items and make them even better like in SO3. they should also put some sort of tutorial for people that find the whole IC process too complex.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Error said:
Nah, a mix of the two would be nice.

Let me create items anywhere, drop the inventors thing, let me customize weapons the way I could in SO3, the ability to refine items and make them even better like in SO3. they should also put some sort of tutorial for people that find the whole IC process too complex.

I do agree that there are aspects in SO3 that should be implemented. I really like SO2s way of creating random things though with various skills at different levels but I guess tri-Ace would want more of a focused IC system. Either way, I hope Skills come back in some form and effect Item Creation!

Quazar said:
As for gameplay, Star Ocean IV will be very similar to Star Ocean III. For those who didn't play the previous Star Ocean, that means real-time combat that takes place in arenas separate from the travel field of the game world. The combat will be "flashier and speedier" with new too-be-announced features. But at its core, it will be Star Ocean III. That's a very good thing. And yes, you can expect some form of item creation as well.

Coming exclusively to Xbox 360 spring 2009, Square-Enix is keeping a tight wrap on the game for the time being. But if it's going to play like Star Ocean III and lack the what-the-eff plot twist, then it's going to be an RPG worth the wait.

I'm so happy to see that it will play like Star Ocean 3, but with new features :D

BlueTsunami, glad to see that you are still with us :)

Quazar said:

There better be better melding of battle systems, character building, and item crafting, then tri-Ace; or no sale.

So let me get this straight. Last Remnant is White Knight Furry Fantasy, Infinite Undiscovery is Final Megami Tensei and SOIV is... Star Ocean?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
God's Beard said:
So let me get this straight. Last Remnant is White Knight Furry Fantasy, Infinite Undiscovery is Final Megami Tensei and SOIV is... Star Ocean?
No. Last Remnant is Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery is Infinite Undiscovery, and SOIV is... Star Ocean.

God's Beard said:

Last Remnant is really not looking good in my opinion. It will probably end up being one of the few rpgs I pass on this generation unless I see some solid gameplay to gauge what I think about it.

i4o4ch.jpg

Tiny, but I haven't seen this shot posted.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like what they are doing with the lighting in this game.

in the trailer it seems like IU with a different lick of paint...characters look very similar and moves also look the same...the graphics looke better to me though

So, they failed to bring stars, once again? Tri-Ace, I'm so tired of you... Sci-Fi in CG movies, but aside from that it's the usual old Tales-clone, with Bow&Arrows, Swords, etc, furries, under-developed planets, ruins and so on... STOP calling this shit STAR-OCEAN, damn you!!! Every time I get my hopes high for... nothing! List like in Star Ocean 3... 2 hours of sci-fi, 50 hours of a bad, bad, bad Tales game...

Edit:
Developer tri-Ace promises a more "authentic" sci-fi experience, even though the trailer shows plenty of (welcome) flights of fancy. The "realism" is a product of the story taking place closely to modern times. And for those who played Star Ocean III, tri-Ace recognizes the distaste some had for the big twist. While we can't say there won't be an equally big twist in The Last Hope, we were assured that the closer ties to reality will prevent any sort of virtual reality cop-out as in the past. Star Ocean IV's story will be "easier to understand" than its predecessor, according to tri-Ace.
A more "authentic" sci-fi experience? The trailer doesn't give me hopes at all, it looks like SO3 all over again...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The main stuff of exploring and whatnot looks like it has achieved it's sweet spot in RPGs. God damn that game looks beautiful. Five years from now better prove this is the generation for JRPGs.

Now, more gameplay!!

Error

So, they failed to bring stars, once again? Tri-Ace, I'm so tired of you... Sci-Fi in CG movies, but aside from that it's the usual old Tales-clone, with Bow&Arrows, Swords, etc, furries, under-developed planets, ruins and so on... STOP calling this shit STAR-OCEAN, damn you!!! Every time I get my hopes high for... nothing! List like in Star Ocean 3... 2 hours of sci-fi, 50 hours of a bad, bad, bad Tales game...

Edit:
Quote:
Developer tri-Ace promises a more "authentic" sci-fi experience, even though the trailer shows plenty of (welcome) flights of fancy. The "realism" is a product of the story taking place closely to modern times. And for those who played Star Ocean III, tri-Ace recognizes the distaste some had for the big twist. While we can't say there won't be an equally big twist in The Last Hope, we were assured that the closer ties to reality will prevent any sort of virtual reality cop-out as in the past. Star Ocean IV's story will be "easier to understand" than its predecessor, according to tri-Ace.
A more "authentic" sci-fi experience? The trailer doesn't give me hopes at all, it looks like SO3 all over again...
I really couldn't give a rat ass about medieval or sci-fi settings. just give me BTs to collect, a compelling battle system, lots of customizable options, awesome post-game bosses/dungeons, and a skip scene option. that's Star Ocean in a nutshell for me (basically a replayable rpg that can be played over and over), Tales doesn't even come close.

Rpgmonkey

That's a Star Ocean battle song composed by Sakuraba alright.

Especially coming off how SO3's battle music sounded.

I like it though.

zaidr

Man, i like action RPG's, but I have never played a japanese one...would people recommend infinite undiscovery or star ocean for someone uninitiated like me?

duckroll

Id. said:
Battle theme kind of has the same style heard in Baten Kaitos' battle themes. Motoi <3

Yeah, it's nice to hear his rock style used for battles. That's my favorite part of his OSTs (granted, I'm not even a big Sakuraba fan really). The style really works well with the action packed battles that tri-Ace games usually have, along with the various special effects and combos.

kay

Ether_Snake said:
I like what they are doing with the lighting in this game.
It won't turn out like that, remember what Infinite Undiscovery looked like when it was first shown?
tgs-2006-infinite-undiscovery-first-look-20060920005437918_640w.jpg

Prepare for a downgrade, but you never know.

mochuuu

PSN Community Mgr.
Quazar said:

Am I alone in thinking the twist in SO3 wasn't THAT bad?

duckroll

kay said:
It won't turn out like that, remember what Infinite Undiscovery looked like when it was first shown?

I don't think a IU "screenshot" that was released a year before the game even had it's first trailer is comparable with actual realtime footage we've been seeing of SO4 in trailers. The game's coming out in Spring next year. :p

Error

kay said:
tgs-2006-infinite-undiscovery-first-look-20060920005437918_640w.jpg

Prepare for a downgrade, but you never know.
downgrade? IU looks exactly like that.

Also there is SO4 real-time footage out. So yeah, I think you are talking out of your ass :(

Llyranor

Has any Star Ocean game ever had co-op? This is an easy day1 if this one does. Otherwise, tentative buy depending on how good it ends up (or how much I like IU).

Battle theme is very nice.

duckroll

Llyranor said:
Has any Star Ocean game ever had co-op? This is an easy day1 if this one does. Otherwise, tentative buy depending on how good it ends up (or how much I like IU).

Sure, SO3 has co-op. It's the same sort of co-op as Tales.

Error

Llyranor said:

Nope, but VP2 had an option that allowed coop. Maybe this will?

All SO3 had was a versus mode.

duckroll

What? I swear I watched a video on nico the other day showing a 2 player smackdown in SO3: DC JP. 1P was using Fate and 2P was using Mariah or whoever the other girl like you is.

Error

duckroll said:
What? I swear I watched a video on nico the other day showing a 2 player smackdown in SO3: DC JP. 1P was using Fate and 2P was using Mariah or whoever the other girl like you is.
that vid was one player using both characters, there's no coop in the game. only a versus mode like I mentioned.

Top Bottom