• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness - Import Impressions

Narroo

Is 'Full Manual' battle control an option?

Basically, tap O and your character simply swings their weapon on the spot, WITHOUT running up to the target first.

Please say that is an option...

I wonder...in SO3 is was an incredibly hard to get unlock that required you to beat the game several times over.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm glad there's save points, so we get the Star Ocean save point sound effect.
I was actually legitimately worried about this possibly not being in the game. Sighs of relief.

Kamina777

Banned
Is 'Full Manual' battle control an option?

Basically, tap O and your character simply swings their weapon on the spot, WITHOUT running up to the target first.

Please say that is an option...
I guess they aren't answering specific questions anymore, pity. Anyway, I pre ordered it regardless, I'm sure I'll find out what I want to know sometime before it comes out!

expel

Played about an hour last night before sleep, liking it so far, fast pace with seamless battle n shit, yeah it's star ocean alright! That camera tho, kinda makes me sick lol guess the thing that the camera do when fidel is traversing the field with bumps etc, the camera also follows that movement... I dunno :/

aravuus

I read something about it in a interview (maybe the same one that initiated Miki's issue). They were saying that they knew that crafting was a way to break the game easily but it's also something people need to do on purpose and some players enjoy the game better this way. If they were saying that, I think it means they made it possible.

They removed many options in the international version of SO4 but it's not the same guys working on it, right?

Cool, it does sound like they might be giving us the tools to break the game. Hope "people need to do on purpose" doesn't mean that you're going to be grinding for hundreds of hours lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Am early on but i could see it potentially becoming difficult. Though thats more stats based I think

So basically to keep the challenge dont grind

Important question:

How are the characters and how is the story?

I actually think the non cutscenes work pretty well. Combined with the battle system they give the game a seamless feel.

The lack of door opening animations feels weird, though, and of course the witch character is an eyesore.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Important question:

How are the characters and how is the story?

characters so far are fine. though am not rushing with the story progression as party skill leveling comes first lol. though with all the exp ive gotten am sure i could blow through the next part no issues.

Kysen

Dash animation seems to be a sped up walk, looks broken. Framerate seems to be holding up as well. Not often JRPGs this gen run at 60fps.

Wagram

Dash animation seems to be a sped up walk, looks broken. Framerate seems to be holding up as well. Not often JRPGs this gen run at 60fps.

How do you feel about the camera? In videos it comes off a little jarring to me, but player experience is better.

EDIT: Maybe the camera seems strange to me because of a perk? I feel like there's a perk that makes the main character walk faster and it makes the camera wobble like crazy.

Dash animation seems to be a sped up walk, looks broken.

This. Camera needs work when this perk is on damn.

Vossey

Neo Member
Just bought the game, will go home in about 3 hours and play for a good 2 or 3 hours before sleeping, if anyone has any questions for me in regards to what I would be able to answer from the first few hours, please let me know and I'll get back to you before sleeping!

I'm pretty excited, been reading this thread since it's the only thing I can do now!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is it weird that right now I have strong impulse to buy this game due to the drawings on the skill tree?

I am really serious about this, lol. They're so cute.

Parakeetman

How do you feel about the camera? In videos it comes off a little jarring to me, but player experience is better.

its as bad as it looks. like i said they most def rigged it wrong so that the camera reacts to everything the player character traverses.

then again this game has issues with animations in game and general camerawork direction. its almost like they let someone not as skilled / experienced handle these things.

still good game so far if you just write it off as jank

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I see a lot of people dying from boss AOE attacks that just happen to kill like 4 teammates. Seems like you might have to manual control them quickly and move at least a couple out of the way if you see that coming.

Took a break from work to go pick up a copy at a local store!

Ce3k8gFUYAE-d-R.jpg:large

Work hours are up now so about to head home and will probably play it a bit before crashing
im gonna be up all fuckin night I bet
and will probably post some early impression tomorrow when I am bored at work.

Cornbread78

Took a break from work to go pick up a copy at a local store!
Work hours are up now so about to head home and will probably play it a bit before crashing
im gonna be up all fuckin night I bet
and will probably post some early impression tomorrow when I am bored at work.

Have fun playing!

So glad we're getting the same cover art.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Can I jump into SO5 and understand what's going on reasonably well, even though I haven't played any of the other SO games? I'm thinking of playing this after I finish with DS3.

aravuus

back to saying fuck it to the story and grinding out SP lol

I imagine I'm gonna end up like this, too. Bought Disgaea 5 a while back and I was determined to follow the story so I could get some context and motivation and whatever, but after 3 or 4 maps I just started skipping the events so I could get back to grinding faster lmao

Can I jump into SO5 and understand what's going on reasonably well, even though I haven't played any of the other SO games? I'm thinking of playing this after I finish with DS3.

SO3 ended with a pretty massive twist that affected the whole series, but I'm not sure if you actually NEED to know about it. The twist was completely forgotten in TLH iirc, for example.

Yeah outside of random references (and more often than not there are more VP references than in-series ones lol) there is very little connecting the game worlds.

If I remember right they are all in the same universe but are always set chronologically far apart?

Parakeetman

Really like how they are doing the approach that quests also give $$$ Exp and SP. Always dislike it these days when games with quests just award you garbage items instead and nothing else.

Makes it feel more like a chore than an actual reward.

Kysen

I have no issues with the camera other than in combat if you don't baby it you can end up with scenery in the way.

I do not like how L2 and R2 aren't used so far. Especially when you need to hold either X or O to do special attacks. The control types menu is pointless, it basically swaps X and O.

Parakeetman

Wait, it took that long in a SO game? I love the longer and more detailed cutscenes that the games usually have.

this game whoever was in charge of these decisions has honestly no sense in making dialog scenes as the way it is currently designed comes off as half assed. even more so considering this game has an actual story.

honestly think they were trying to appease the western audience or something. as you see things that lead back to western game design. like the slow walk during dialog always hated that aka finger in the ear gears walk.

then other stuff like trying to make it seem openworld-ish though then you wind up with the akward red impassable lines during certain events.

Cornbread78

this game whoever was in charge of these decisions has honestly no sense in making dialog scenes as the way it is currently designed comes off as half assed. even more so considering this game has an actual story.

uggh, that's really bad. Had they not played an SO game before directing 5? BAttle system and cut scenes are the most important part.

Parakeetman

uggh, that's really bad. Had they not played an SO game before directing 5? BAttle system and cut scenes are the most important part.

yeah at the time being not a fan of the combat system. though think its more the MCs attack anims the non special ones are too slow and over exaggerated. They honestly need someone who understands at least a little bit of martial arts as this makes the kid look more like an amateur rather than the heir to a sword style school.

am not talking about hyper realism either just common sense stuff that you should be able to tell whats wrong visually and from trying it out.

aravuus

yeah at the time being not a fan of the combat system. though think its more the MCs attack anims the non special ones are too slow and over exaggerated. They honestly need someone who understands at least a little bit of martial arts as this makes the kid look more like an amateur rather than the heir to a sword style school.

Can you control any character?

Aeana

Mine shipped from Amazon. it'll be here tomorrow. Would've been nice to have it earlier, but I save $20 in the end so it's fine.

zeromcd73

Reading amazon Japan reviews are showing a lot of positive things, but loads of complaints about the camera really sucking.

faridmon

If I didn't like how the combat felt in SO3 (frankly I hated that game as whole) will I enjoy this. That combat felt too finicky with the movement being imprecise and all.

Reading amazon Japan reviews are showing a lot of positive things, but loads of complaints about the camera really sucking.

This seems to be the general consensus. The camera does look kind of wonky. Maybe they'll patch in more camera control options. I'll get over it, but camera issues tend to bother me more than anything.

Parakeetman

Can you control any character?

yes dpad in battle switches between characters you can even set them to manual if you want them to just stand there and do nothing. also you have the ability to turn on / off skills that they use in the menu.

Yeah this by no means is a bad game, but you can tell by the designs that it most def seems like the team was trying to do shit out of their element.

am still keeping myself amused earning and spending SP lol

Top Bottom