• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness - Import Impressions

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Input lag during the battles? Shit... that doesn't sound very good :( Nor do the 'western style' cutscene direction. How are the sidequests? Is it like 2 where there are a bunch of optional dungeons, characters, and events? Or is it more of the 'kill 10 boars' type.

Rpgmonkey

Got my copy (didn't even know it was coming today) but I'm too busy to play it until later this evening. :/

SO4's last dungeon laughs at you

Now you've reminded me that both SO3 and 4 had long final dungeons. I might as well accept that 5 probably will too and make sure I have free time when I get up to that point lol.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
After playing for a few more hours, I have to say that I'm enjoying the game much more than before.

There are 3 reasons for that:
- Battles are much more fun when you have a full party.
- A few hours in after
the space stuff
happens the story finally kicks off and becomes much more interesting.
- Characters aren't dumb and they act logically most of the time, which is rare in the genre.

Locations are still very barren and there has been way too much backtracking, but I hope that I'll get access to fast travel
again

Also it seems like many party skills are tied to quest board quests - Today I unlocked enemy sensor and emotions. This is a bummer because there doesn't seem to be a way to track your progress (unless I missed it).

Aeana

I went through the first two fields and got to Midoch or whatever it is. My main takeaway from the game right now is that the camera is too close and too prone to movement and it's given me pretty bad motion sickness. I'm not sure how much more of it I can take, honestly.

Wanchan

I went through the first two fields and got to Midoch or whatever it is. My main takeaway from the game right now is that the camera is too close and too prone to movement and it's given me pretty bad motion sickness. I'm not sure how much more of it I can take, honestly.

You can zoom the camera in/out with dpad up/down, just saying cause I'm seeing lots of complaints about the camera but I have no issue in this game, and I usually hates bad cameras too.

You can also set the camera up/down left/right sensitivity in the options, it helped for me.

Aeana

Anyone know what exactly 思考 level and 様子見効果 are? The scavenger role affects these, but there's no indication of what exactly they affect.

wicko

Have they improved ai customization since SO4? I gave up on the post game dungeon because of how limited it was - I could not for the life of me get heals at the correct times.

twisteh

Any news on EU release date? I'm assuming since its Square Enix that it will be the same as the NA date but would like some confirmation...if for some stupid reason it's going to be months after I'll import.

AerialAir

Banned
Any news on EU release date? I'm assuming since its Square Enix that it will be the same as the NA date but would like some confirmation...if for some stupid reason it's going to be months after I'll import.

SE have this game listed on summer for Europe, so both possibilities exist. Importing from Canada is fairly cheap though.

Aeana

I'm having a great time so far. The reserve gauge was introduced, which adds an extra layer to combat just like the equivalent gauges did in SO3 and SO4. I like the way this one works the best, I think, though.

Have they improved ai customization since SO4? I gave up on the post game dungeon because of how limited it was - I could not for the life of me get heals at the correct times.

There's no AI settings from what I can tell. A character's AI is determined mostly by the role you give them. Roles have stat bonuses and stuff, but also dictate behavior. Stuff like attacker, caster, defender, and so on. I haven't had any trouble with AI so far.

Vossey

Neo Member

One more suggestion I have that worked for me was to turn down the sensitivity to about 3 blocks in the menu. The camera is soo squirrely that it just blasts around, the sensitivity has really helped me a lot, I found 3 to be the sweet spot, it might take a second to completely swing the camera around, but I never found it to be an issue while playing so far.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
One more suggestion I have that worked for me was to turn down the sensitivity to about 3 blocks in the menu. The camera is soo squirrely that it just blasts around, the sensitivity has really helped me a lot, I found 3 to be the sweet spot, it might take a second to completely swing the camera around, but I never found it to be an issue while playing so far.

I think shes talking about more how the camera reacts to the surface that the MC is in contact with as the camera reacts to every little change in elevation and not so much the fact that the camera rotation speed is high when moved by the player. Which is not something that can be fixed without the devs doing something themselves really.

---

I seriously hope if you clear all of these welch quest she joins as a hidden character since her VA is hilarious and all the weird dialog during her quests lol. One thing for sure is the dialog and voice acting in this game is well done. Lets hope for you people in the West if they dub it, they dont go fucking it all up.

---

There's no AI settings from what I can tell. A character's AI is determined mostly by the role you give them. Roles have stat bonuses and stuff, but also dictate behavior. Stuff like attacker, caster, defender, and so on. I haven't had any trouble with AI so far.

Yeah its the roles that seem to effect what they do as there indeed does not seem to be any sort of AI setting.

Then to gain more roles is just basically leveling up the ones you have currently and new ones appear after certain requirements are met.

Vossey

Neo Member
Yea, turning down the sensitivity also alters how the camera reacts when going over small hiccups in the environment as well, I found that the movement isn't so fast when turning down the sensitivity so it's much less jerky and it helps with the nausea :) As you have mentioned as well, I really hope the Devs will address the camera issue, especially with it being the biggest complaint by most, even here in Japan, the Amazon Reviews almost all point out the same issue.

I love Welch as well, her VO is amazing and just her character, she is hilarious, the music in her house is amazing, I would love the battle music to switch to that if she was a hidden character and you selected her.

Parakeetman

Yea, turning down the sensitivity also alters how the camera reacts when going over small hiccups in the environment as well, I found that the movement isn't so fast when turning down the sensitivity so it's much less jerky and it helps with the nausea :) As you have mentioned as well, I really hope the Devs will address the camera issue, especially with it being the biggest complaint by most, even here in Japan, the Amazon Reviews almost all point out the same issue.

I love Welch as well, her VO is amazing and just her character, she is hilarious, the music in her house is amazing, I would love the battle music to switch to that if she was a hidden character and you selected her.

Its too bad for the Welch stuff that the whoever decided on what type of camera angles to use on occasion / plus characters facing has no idea what they were doing. As lots of stuff you cant see whats going on in the fixed positions. Which leads to a lot of back of the head staring instead.

Vossey

Neo Member
Its too bad for the Welch stuff that the whoever decided on what type of camera angles to use on occasion / plus characters facing has no idea what they were doing. As lots of stuff you cant see whats going on in the fixed positions. Which leads to a lot of back of the head staring instead.

Yea, that is very true, a lot of the conversation are just staring at the back of MCs head, especially when inside of Welchs house as well, the camera does zoom in even more, I would have loved it if they did even more with the characters eyes, since they are already pretty lifelike, especially very early on when
Welch makes you the fruit juice and it's just disgusting, if the second time you drink it, MC just cringes or something, lol

As a side note, some have mentioned they don't like how a lot of the scenes are just forced walking sections. I kinda like it actually, it reminds of of Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero, there were some forced walking sections, you can move around and the characters heads actually face who is talking and everything, it feels pretty cool actually, I have never found it to be as bad as sitting in a car for a 10 minutes drive in GTA to hear some kind of narrative, they have only been like 30 seconds at most so far, plus the conversations are interesting.

One more point I wanted to address is how someone has said they have finished it already, game clock at 20 hours. I think that is possible if you literally don't pay attention to any story or do any side stuff or anything. My game clock is at around 6 hours and I have only been to the second city, and back to the first city (avoiding spoilers). It could have been done in like 1 hour if I had just blown through it, but doing side quests, leveling up party skills, is all really good, I can see this taking me probably double, if not more, than the 20 hours, so I wouldn't worry too much about length if you aren't just trying to rush through.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
While I spent quite a while in the early game grinding SP for party skills, later I noticed that it's a huge waste of time, because of how much more SP you get later in the game (not even that far) and you still steamroll through everything. Also so far equipment/items from NPCs have been good enough to not bother with creation skills - I wonder if it'll change later.

Aeana

Lilia seems like a good candidate for roles like scavenger and miser. They give nice bonuses but have negative effects on battle activity, but she just kinda does whatever anyway.

Parakeetman

Yea, that is very true, a lot of the conversation are just staring at the back of MCs head, especially when inside of Welchs house as well, the camera does zoom in even more, I would have loved it if they did even more with the characters eyes, since they are already pretty lifelike, especially very early on when
Welch makes you the fruit juice and it's just disgusting, if the second time you drink it, MC just cringes or something, lol

As a side note, some have mentioned they don't like how a lot of the scenes are just forced walking sections. I kinda like it actually, it reminds of of Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero, there were some forced walking sections, you can move around and the characters heads actually face who is talking and everything, it feels pretty cool actually, I have never found it to be as bad as sitting in a car for a 10 minutes drive in GTA to hear some kind of narrative, they have only been like 30 seconds at most so far, plus the conversations are interesting.

One more point I wanted to address is how someone has said they have finished it already, game clock at 20 hours. I think that is possible if you literally don't pay attention to any story or do any side stuff or anything. My game clock is at around 6 hours and I have only been to the second city, and back to the first city (avoiding spoilers). It could have been done in like 1 hour if I had just blown through it, but doing side quests, leveling up party skills, is all really good, I can see this taking me probably double, if not more, than the 20 hours, so I wouldn't worry too much about length if you aren't just trying to rush through.

Honestly any game for the most part can be cleared fairly quickly if one knows what they are doing and blows past everything that isnt "forced". So anyone who worries about game length based off of dumbasses that do that honestly should stop worrying lol. As for the most part the average gamer will never be able to do that anyways.

One thing am let down by is the lack of "balance" with the crafting system in general. Since it does not seem like they put much thought into it. With how rare drops and whatnots are along with the lack of recipes for the most part, leaves a lot to be desired in general. Feels as if they did it more as an afterthought rather than taking the time to plan things out on how to improve on what folks liked from previous games.

Lilia seems like a good candidate for roles like scavenger and miser. They give nice bonuses but have negative effects on battle activity, but she just kinda does whatever anyway.

I put scavenger on her just since its not like she attacks anyways lol. Not to mention with it equipped on her with how she is normally it seemed to level up just fine which was a good thing.

Miser I have not bothered to use yet though.

Vossey

Neo Member
One thing am let down by is the lack of "balance" with the crafting system in general. Since it does not seem like they put much thought into it. With how rare drops and whatnots are along with the lack of recipes for the most part, leaves a lot to be desired in general. Feels as if they did it more as an afterthought rather than taking the time to plan things out on how to improve on what folks liked from previous games.

I can see how this might be an issues, mind you I am not far enough so you can speak much better on it than I, as well as Hasemo, but it does seem like there aren't many recipes in general. After upgrading, and each upgrade to the skill only adds a couple recipes, there isn't much to make. Especially after playing any of the Atelier games, where crafting is a huge part of the game, it would have been cool to see a similar system (I think Welch would be great in Atelier as well, lol).

Hopefully it opens up a lot more and there are a bunch of hidden recipes, I haven't been looking too deeply into the ladder part of the game, I want to avoid anything that might spoil it, but hopefully it blows up more with the endgame.

Parakeetman

I can see how this might be an issues, mind you I am not far enough so you can speak much better on it than I, as well as Hasemo, but it does seem like there aren't many recipes in general. After upgrading, and each upgrade to the skill only adds a couple recipes, there isn't much to make. Especially after playing any of the Atelier games, where crafting is a huge part of the game, it would have been cool to see a similar system (I think Welch would be great in Atelier as well, lol).

Hopefully it opens up a lot more and there are a bunch of hidden recipes, I haven't been looking too deeply into the ladder part of the game, I want to avoid anything that might spoil it, but hopefully it blows up more with the endgame.

I have some stuff maxed out already.

To give you an example of me + crafting in FFXIV I was one of the top 10 crafters on a JP server I was on back in the days before any expansions came out.

Generally if any game has crafting in it I go wandering off in that direction more than doing other stuff.

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be an option to skip the non cutscene cutscenes.
Girl just woke up, no cutscene skip option.

OmegaDL50

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be an option to skip the non cutscene cutscenes.
Girl just woke up, no cutscene skip option.

I've been thinking about this, now Star Ocean generally don't have NG+ but they do have higher difficulties from what I understand, Earth, Galaxy, and Universe or something to that effect.

What if the case is cutscenes cannot be skipped during the initial playthrough but any replays of the game using the system file that unlocks a higher difficult due to a game completion allows you to skip this stuff on a secondary playthoughs and beyond.

Just something to hope for at least.

Aeana

The funny thing is, the game already has the scene summaries like SO4 had, they're just tucked away in the menu. There's one for every little story-related thing that happens.

Aeana

The private action where Welch
talks about her lab being shut down and the skinheads muscling in
is the first one where I didn't find her completely and utterly awful.

wicko

Yeah its the roles that seem to effect what they do as there indeed does not seem to be any sort of AI setting.

Then to gain more roles is just basically leveling up the ones you have currently and new ones appear after certain requirements are met.

Alright, thanks. It does sound a little better than what SO4 had, pretty sure that was just stuff like "go crazy", "conserve mp", etc. The recommendation for SO4 was basically to play as the healer, but it wasn't terribly fun to do it that way.

I entered the vortex in the middle of the field for the secret dungeon you can apparently visit throughout the game. Okay, I'll give it a shot as I burned through some low level enemies.

Then the boss type creature appeared and oh god. I don't think I even chipped away at its health before it pulverized my party.

benzy

You can zoom the camera in/out with dpad up/down, just saying cause I'm seeing lots of complaints about the camera but I have no issue in this game, and I usually hates bad cameras too.

Does this apply for battles too? Can you zoom in during battles?

Aeana

I entered the vortex in the middle of the field for the secret dungeon you can apparently visit throughout the game. Okay, I'll give it a shot as I burned through some low level enemies.

Then the boss type creature appeared and oh god. I don't think I even chipped away at its health before it pulverized my party.

I just now found that. It went like:

oh god what is that

spn7ZJO.jpg

*use reserve rush*

omg it only did that little damage?

*fights fights fights, dodging stupid laser, revive Victor because he won't stop standing in it*

Whew. First fight in this game that has been a challenge. Loved it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How does Victor play? Is he a Dias type swordsman? I'm realllllly hoping he is.

I just now found that. It went like:

oh god what is that

*use reserve rush*

omg it only did that little damage?

*fights fights fights, dodging stupid laser, revive Victor because he won't stop standing in it*

Whew. First fight in this game that has been a challenge. Loved it.

... Maybe I'll try again.

Parakeetman

... Maybe I'll try again.

have a lot of blackberry items inc bottles and healing ready. that and basil? i think was the one that heals paralysis. as that is the only really dangerous thing it does all of the beams you can dodge as lomg as you keep moving.

Datschge

It's funny how Zestiria had a technically weak implementation of seamless transitions while SO5 looks to be essentially perfect, but the former manages to do some really cool camera view transitions between exploration/cutscenes/battles in quick succession while SO5 saves the effort by leaving the player in control of the camera most of the time.

Does anyone knowa when the OST comes out?
The complete 4 discs soundtrack (plus a bonus CD covering old tracks and their new arrangements) is actually already included in the super expensive collectors edition, a separate release comes on April 27th: http://vgmdb.net/album/57310
An arrangement album (though only covering SO1, SO2, VP1 and VP2, not SO5) is coming on June 8th: http://vgmdb.net/album/57931

Parakeetman

One thing with this games crafting system is Id imagine you would be able to break the balance yet again though this time with the reinforce ability for accessories and stuff.

so basically all you are doing with crafting other junk is to use as resources for reinforcing your accessories to add stats and other whatnots.

OmegaDL50

One thing with this games crafting system is Id imagine you would be able to break the balance yet again though this time with the reinforce ability for accessories and stuff.

so basically all you are doing with crafting other junk is to use as resources for reinforcing your accessories to add stats and other whatnots.

That's how synthesis worked in SO3 and SO4 more or less.

Being able to transfer specific effect on an accessory and transfer it over to another piece of equipment.

Which was a bit more complex than the SO2 item creation which was more or less Item 1 + Item 2 = Item 3.

Although SO3 limited to just Weapons, and SO4 made it so Synthesis could be used on everything (Weapons, Armors, and Accessories)

I wonder Reinforce is just the Japanese naming usage of English localized Synthesis from SO3 and 4.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Trying to see all PAs in a new place is so tedious.

Trigger them -> watch -> change map -> trigger them again etc.

It's a bummer because they're both interesting and can unlock roles.

OmegaDL50

Trying to see all PAs in a new place is so tedious.

Trigger them -> watch -> change map -> trigger them again etc.

It's a bummer because they're both interesting and can unlock roles.

At least PA exist in some form in SO5.

I don't even remember how they were done in SO4. I remember crafting mechanics and mining / savaging locations, but don't recall any sort of PA from SO4.

I wonder if SO5's PA's are at all similar to SO3's

Anbec7

Glad to see that it's good.
I haven't played any star ocean but a friend told me the old ones are really cool (except 4)
What I want to understand is the battle system you have 2 phases?

Aeana

At least PA exist in some form in SO5.

I don't even remember how they were done in SO4. I remember crafting mechanics and mining / savaging locations, but don't recall any sort of PA from SO4.

I wonder if SO5's PA's are at all similar to SO3's

In SO4, private actions just kind of happen. Either when you examine something or visit a specific place at a specific time. A lot of them occur on the Calnus just by talking to party members. But a lot of them trigger out in the world, too. It's definitely very different from the other Star Oceans.

In SO5, private actions occur in two ways (so far, anyway). One, you'll see a whistle icon in a town and it marks a sparkling circle. If you walk into it, your party disperses into the town and you can go find them and see what they're doing. The other way is just randomly as you're walking around in specific spots. For instance, Miki loves to comment on the weather in some areas, and that counts as a private action. And Victor has a couple of private actions in town when you walk over a bridge, one of which gives you a role. They just start talking as you walk by.

mdubs

Banned
Are the save points better spread out in this game than in SO4? I hated having to go for close to an hour sometimes in between save points since I typically need to play in short bursts

Vossey

Neo Member
Are the save points better spread out in this game than in SO4? I hated having to go for close to an hour sometimes in between save points since I typically need to play in short bursts

So far it seems fine, every map has one or even two, near an entrance or something. If you need one, there has also been a relatively close one within a stones throw. Not sure if that changes later though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wow, the boss in one of the later hidden dungeons is brutal.

Edit:
I'm also not a fan of "defend character X" battles because of how hard it is to see what's happening when there's ~10 characters on the screen.

Aeana

I found another vortex in the field south of Resulia. It had the same boss, but it seemed to have scaled up with my characters, since it was harder than before. Got 7k fol for winning, though, so that was nice.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I found another vortex in the field south of Resulia. It had the same boss, but it seemed to have scaled up with my characters, since it was harder than before. Got 7k fol for winning, though, so that was nice.
It seems to be the same dungeon for all vortexes with different enemies. The first boss seems to be used twice, but the second time it's stronger.
Third vortex I visited had a different boss.
The same dungeon can pop more than once in the same location, but an already cleared one will have an empty chest at the end.

Top Bottom