• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness - Import Impressions

Square + left stick allows you to dodge, if you didn't know that. I think it would've been a lot harder without that.

I tried again, but I wasn't happy with how many items I ended up using so I made the mistake of trying to restart and better equip myself, before the portal disappeared again. : (

Atlantis

Have they improved ai customization since SO4? I gave up on the post game dungeon because of how limited it was - I could not for the life of me get heals at the correct times.

SO4 had the best healer AI I've ever encountered in an ARPG.

Hopefully this game comes close to it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I tried again, but I wasn't happy with how many items I ended up using so I made the mistake of trying to restart and better equip myself, before the portal disappeared again. : (
Keep changing maps until it's there again.

Vossey

Neo Member
SO4 had the best healer AI I've ever encountered in an ARPG.

Hopefully this game comes close to it.

I have found the Healer AI to be really good in this, I find that I am not getting overhealed or anything, especially on trash mobs for example, I am not getting spammed with heals or anything like that. I find the MP consumption to be very well balanced as well, the only problem I would say is I'd like them to run around a bit more and avoid enemies, I gotta stay close to them as they have a tendency to tank.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Have to take care of some stuff, so enough playing for now.

Impression from today so far:
- Don't be afraid to use food before hard boss fights. Food effects last for a few battles and can be a great help.
- I guess the level cap in this one is way above 100 like in the previous entries, because so far I'm ~12 hours into the game and my whole party is around level 50.
- New roles usually unlock when you get others to level 3. I have so many now that it's really hard to choose something for everyone.
- Optional dungeons seem like wasted potential. I like the idea and having to defeat strong enemies for a good item (the amount of experience is a bit disappointing), but all 3 dungeons looking the same so far have been a disappointment design-wise.

All in all I'm enjoying the game much more than during my first day/two, mostly because of battles with the full party. While chaotic and sometimes annoying (multiple enemies when you have to protect a character make it really hard to see what's going on and so far led to 2-3 game overs), they can feel really good once you get the hang of it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Honestly combat is still garbage for the most part. As this 2 skill system is fairly useless. Not to mention the animations to activate skills all take far too long. Can see why they did it in order not to have people grinding the bonus bar way up high too fast. But really makes the actual "fun" involved with combat suffer. As this is very basic stuff.

It appears that they designed the system with in mind you should constantly switch around the characters to use their skills to make up for the gross lack of skills in general per character and "attempt" to reposition them to take advantage of the near / far 2 x 2 skill set. But even then with how slow the skills activate along with how scrolling through the characters to switch it does not make up for the overall lack of skills a player can activate per character in general. That and you really do not want to be jumping all over the place from character to character anyways.

Just go to the inn. Resting in the Inn resets everything if you sleep.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Honestly combat is still garbage for the most part. As this 2 skill system is fairly useless. Not to mention the animations to activate skills all take far too long. Can see why they did it in order not to have people grinding the bonus bar way up high too fast. But really makes the actual "fun" involved with combat suffer. As this is very basic stuff.

Just go to the inn. Resting in the Inn resets everything if you sleep.
As for the combat, MC's skills are mostly useless aside from 1 maybe 2, so I could currently see that asca problem for maybe 1-2 other characters.

Also, changing maps is enough to make dungeons pop/reactivate PAs if there are any left.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
wait, the bonus dungeon is accessible throughout the game instead of being tucked away until you finish the main story?

I love how you could access the bonus during while playing the game normally in SMT3, I'll love it if it works like that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
wait, the bonus dungeon is accessible throughout the game instead of being tucked away until you finish the main story?

I love how you could access the bonus during while playing the game normally in SMT3, I'll love it if it works like that.
Bonus dungeons are just a series of small rooms which all look the same which consist of a few arena fights and one boss fight after which you get a chest with a neat item. The idea is neat, execution not so much.

Wanchan

Finally unlocked the fast travel...will cut some travel time but not that much either...there's only 6 main hubs so far, still have to walk a lot!

Parakeetman

As for the combat, MC's skills are mostly useless aside from 1 maybe 2, so I could currently see that asca problem for maybe 1-2 other characters.

Also, changing maps is enough to make dungeons pop/reactivate PAs if there are any left.

Thing is though, is if you are going after dungeons you might as well reactivate the harvesting points also with the inn.

Soriku

Bonus dungeons are just a series of small rooms which all look the same which consist of a few arena fights and one boss fight after which you get a chest with a neat item. The idea is neat, execution not so much.

That might just be a new feature they added in addition to the standard postgame dungeons, no?

Wanchan

Just unlock the equipment strengthening (accessory) from Welch, time to create OP accessories!

When I was able to access fast travel,
they soon took it from me and I didn't get it back since

Yeah, I'm talking about further in the game.

megabadd

I've been enjoying it so far (3 hours), and haven't played an SO since 2. The camera is a bit jerky, so I'll try turning down the sensitivity. One thing that has been odd is that there is very little intro to characters before they are dropped into your party. I know there are a lot of characters that need to join, but they could have tried a little harder at having characters join your team organically.

Also, the skill mapping thing is annoying. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you only get to map 4 battle skills (not magic) per character, 2 to X and 2 to O, and they active depending on whether you're close or far from the enemy? They should've just mapped them to other button combos.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Well, I said screw it and went ahead and bought it despite my reservations. Enjoying it so far, as I haven't played a proper JRPG in a long, long time.

Ravage

I'm having a great time so far. The reserve gauge was introduced, which adds an extra layer to combat just like the equivalent gauges did in SO3 and SO4. I like the way this one works the best, I think, though.

There's no AI settings from what I can tell. A character's AI is determined mostly by the role you give them. Roles have stat bonuses and stuff, but also dictate behavior. Stuff like attacker, caster, defender, and so on. I haven't had any trouble with AI so far.

Do the ranged characters stay out of harm's way? I hated how the ranged AI work in SO4.

Lol I wonder if those who are oh so eager to bring up plot to explain Fiore's outfit can explain why the male mages in the game are covered from head to toe.

The camera feels like a robot that's constantly following behind you. It doesn't float; it's connected to the ground.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I noticed that the only reason why boss fights are so hard is because AI gets killed all the time by the boss aoe attacks.

Huh, weird. I just checked a wiki to see how far I am and looking by the number of phases, I'm 2/3 done? If that's the case I can the game being 20-25 hours long if you don't go out of your way to finish all kill X/bring Y items quests or level all party skills to the maximum.

I noticed that the only reason why boss fights are so hard is because AI gets killed all the time by the boss aoe attacks.

Huh, weird. I just checked a wiki to see how far I am and looking by the number of phases, I'm 2/3 done? If that's the case I can the game being 20-25 hours long if you don't go out of your way to finish all kill X/bring Y items quests or level all party skills to the maximum.

I had a feeling the game was on the short side. It's too bad it looks like it was so rushed.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

I see a lot of people dying from boss AOE attacks that just happen to kill like 4 teammates. Seems like you might have to manual control them quickly and move at least a couple out of the way if you see that coming.

:^) called it!

Maybe it's just because of the low, low expectations, but something about the writing does seem better than I anticipated. I haven't played much of SO3 and I avoided 4, but it does remind me of SO1 - the SFC version. The ship and general map design surrounding a small number of kingdoms reminds me heavily of it. But whatever happened to the story altering cutscenes? Is that happening without me knowing it?

Also, I want to set the BGM to SO2. : ( Do I have to unlock it?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Fast temravel allowing you to go to fields and not cities is really unwieldy. To go to Welch I still have to fight ~5 groups of enemies every time...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This game has way too many palette swap enemies...
Seriously. You have to visit the same ~6 locations all the time and durig each visit you fight recolors of the same monsters. Of course there are exceptions, but those are few and far between.

Sinople

Reading the "helpful" Amazon reviews: no volume, disappointing story, failed battle system, horrible camera, cheap cut-scenes... Tri-Ace, what happened to you? :( :( :(

Bladenic

Well, I was expecting at least the usual 40-50 hours length and a good battle system.

The length, if what has been said is true, is very strange and disconcerting. Maybe they decided to use SO1/SO2 and Infinite Undiscovery as length examples instead of 3 and 4? That would be weird though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh man, the more I read about this the more disappointing it sounds :( Lack of game length, lack of interesting side quests, bad camera, tacked-on Item Creation system, laggy input combat. They definitely seemed like they went with my least favorite of the series SO3 as an inspiration (except SO3 was pretty long) :p Someone assuage my fears :(

Young Magus

The length, if what has been said is true, is very strange and disconcerting. Maybe they decided to use SO1/SO2 and Infinite Undiscovery as length examples instead of 3 and 4? That would be weird though.

How long was SO2?

And the Battle System reminds me of 3 so far....cept no mp kill

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Tri-Ace is known to make pretty good battle systems actually. This honestly does not feel like something that Tri-Ace does its so off the mark.

So the battle system is all good? I guess that "helpful" review was just a negative nancy all along!

Parakeetman

So the battle system is all good? I guess that "helpful" review was just a negative nancy all along!

No the battle system is not good honestly. Which is a bad thing considering how much you will be fighting in this game.

Considering I have all of the crafting stuff maxed out for a while now, am seriously losing interest in this game due to how its designed. Only thing that is keeping me in is the characters and story are at least not bad. The voice work is good too for the main story characters, but a lot of other things really works against that.

Honestly if I do stop playing this and shelve it for whatever reason Ill go play 2 or 3 instead.

Need to go look where I put the DC of 3. As the original 3 had some game breaking bug at the end of the game of all places.

Top Bottom