• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
NWabbx4.png

Developer - tri-Ace
Publisher - Square Enix
Director - Hiroshi Ogawa (Infinite Undiscovery)
Programmer - Yoshiharu Gotanda (Star Ocean: Second Story, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)
Artist - Akira Yasuda (Street Fighter III, Darkstalkers)
Composer - Motoi Sakuraba (Star Ocean series, Tales series)
Platforms - PlayStation 3 (JP), PlayStation 4 (JP,NA,EU,Asia)

Release dates:
March 31, 2016 - JP
June 28, 2016 - NA/Asia
July 1, 2016 - EU

1GfQFlc.png

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (スターオーシャン5 Integrity and Faithlessness Sutā Ōshan Faibu Integuriti ando Feisuresunisu?) is an action role-playing video game developed by tri-Ace and published by Square Enix, for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.[2] It is the fifth game in the main Star Ocean series after Star Ocean: The Last Hope and the ninth released game in the franchise, after the free-to-play card game Star Ocean: Material Trader.

gQ2upUk.png

t70Bxie.jpg

MqGlPVq.jpg

GPCNiNl.jpg

l79Iz8A.jpg

HUOcVIO.jpg

OZ0Fj5Z.jpg

TVpiR1x.jpg

w6cfy2e.png

m3aCYHy.jpg

The battle system is similar to other games in the Star Ocean series, with the player controlling one of seven party members in battles, with the ability to switch control of characters. The real-time action battle system features improved game mechanics. The storytelling cutscenes are intended to be interactive and dynamic, and seamlessly transition with the gameplay. Features from previous Star Ocean games such the ability to create items are also present.

Enemies are programmed to have a "very complex" AI, with players able to custom configure enemy intelligence to a degree.

pWisgBT.jpg

The game will use the "private actions" system of previous series titles, where the story tracks which party members interact during the story to adjust the stories direction.

ecgoJ3s.png

STAR OCEAN 5 Trailer [E3 2015]
STAR OCEAN: Integrity and Faithlessness Story Trailer
Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness - English Gameplay Trailer
Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - E3 2016 Launch Trailer

ehXXp1g.png

Coming Soon!

Thanks to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Integrity_and_Faithlessness
http://starocean.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Ocean:_Integrity_and_Faithlessness
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/star-ocean-5-emmerson-character-introduction-trailer
http://gematsu.com/2016/02/star-ocean-5-anne-character-introduction-trailer

Virdix

Im interested to see how this one does, ive only played Star Ocean: Till the end of time.

Ill probably wait for reviews or maybe a sale down the line, just oicked up Valkyria Chronicles and Ill probably get Setsuna in July.

MilkBeard

Woohoo! Finally up. I have the game digitally preordered. Gonna blast through it in the next two weeks.

As long as they make them, I'm always gonna find a way to play a new Star Ocean.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Not a bad game, although I was surprised how short it was (~21-22 hours while doing a bunch of sidequests). Didn't do the post-game content, so I have no idea how long it takes.

I enjoyed the combat and the role system, although the latter allowed me to break a game in a way that made the last stretch of the game a cakewalk.

Biggest offenders are the small scope (I don't mind smaller stories per se, but this one felt limited due to a budget) and repeated maps/enemies.

On the other hand, I really liked most of the characters, which is a great thing for a JRPG.

If anyone is interested in checking out the game, I streamed my whole playthrough and you can check the archive here.

Stacked99

Banned
Been on the fence, but just platinum'd UC4 and need something to sink my teeth into...

Looking like this will fill that need

I think I want to play this (last couple of SOs have been pretty irritating, but hope springs eternal). However, the timing is horrible for me. I'm going to circle back around and reconsider during the early winter gaming doldrums. Will definitely keep an eye on impressions though.

DR2K

Banned
It's been shipped and should arrive tomorrow. Can't wait.

Are there play through exclusive characters?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Forgot this was coming out so soon. Just bought it on amazon. Lets see how much I like this Star Ocean after the last one lol.

Aeana

I'm already ready to replay this in English. One of the benefits of the short length, I guess. Let's do it.

Oh hell yes. The best thing about Star Ocean is the music, and Sakuraba has brought his A-game to this one. Listened to the whole OST on YouTube (just once) and I said wow.

Wagram

Good or bad, I hope people support this. Another JRPG series will fall if this one flops.

When does the Metacritic 70s embargo lift?

MilkBeard

Oh hell yes. The best thing about Star Ocean is the music, and Sakuraba has brought his A-game to this one. Listened to the whole OST on YouTube (just once) and I said wow.

I'm ready for a Star Ocean-themed Sakuraba soundtrack. His stuff for Tales is so-so, but I feel he really nails it with this series.

LProtag

Star Ocean 2 is perhaps my favorite JRPG, so I'm really excited for this.

I wasn't as huge on the sequels, but I hope this delivers.

I cancelled my order for this because of all the other releases in the next few weeks but hearing about the concentrated experience is making me want to grab it anyway.
I'll probably cave.

Eusis

I cancelled my order for this because of all the other releases in the next few weeks but hearing about the concentrated experience is making me want to grab it anyway.
I'll probably cave.
I'm waiting on later. It's not now or never afterall, but it's definitely lower in the pecking order for a ton of reasons.

Will probably get through it sooner than SO4 though since the pacing makes it kind of sound like an SNES JRPG wearing a modern skin and with some modern design sensibilities, for all that entails.

MilkBeard

^ The good news is that we are in a situation where you can always pick it up digitally later on. No more worrying about if you are going to find copies of an understocked game anymore. (thank the heavens)

I also hope that interview that was posted earlier is a real indicator that Star Ocean 5 might make the jump to PC. The more chances this series has, the better.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So, anyone have tips for getting the platinum ahead of time? Things to focus on, missables, etc

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202156

Complete the Enemy Encyclopedia (100%)
Complete the all the item lists (100%)
Complete all quests (100%)
Complete the Battle Collection (100%)
Finish the game in Universe
Get all individual endings

You can do 2 playthroughs, so I'm guessing the plat will take 50-100 hours. Unlike SO4: 400-700 hours.

MilkBeard

So this game unlocks Midnight ET on the 27th, right? (not this coming midnight, but the eve of the 28th)
Thankfully that's 9pm my time tomorrow. I'll be downloading it immediately.

BadWolf

Thanks for the thread!

Really looking forward to playing it, looks like my kind of game from the footage I have seen and i like that it isn't a 40+ hour game for the main story.

GunBR

Yup, I feel like this series' future rests on how it does in Americas and Europe.
I always thought that the series was dead after 4, so have another one already is a miracle

The sales probably won't be so great but I hope that the game sell enough to SE make a Star Ocean 6 for the PS5 (one game per generation is better than nothing)

Daft Punk

Banned
Pre-ordered my copy today. I haven't played SO since 3 so what kind of fighting system should I suspect? Like Tales of Zestiria?

MilkBeard

I always thought that the series was dead after 4, so have another one already is a miracle

The sales probably won't be so great but I hope that the game sell enough to SE make a Star Ocean 6 for the PS5 (one game per generation is better than nothing)

It's possible that they could go the Tales route and make one every couple of years with minimal improvements and steadily build a niche fanbase. It could work.

ULTROS!

Since the game probably already reached 200k (PS4 + PS3) in Japan, I'm guessing WW it'll do another 200k-300k. Making it overall half mil.

MilkBeard

Since the game probably already reached 200k (PS4 + PS3) in Japan, I'm guessing WW it'll do another 200k-300k. Making it overall half mil.

I wonder if this is anywhere near their estimation. Basing off of Star Ocean 4, maybe. I don't think that game sold as well as 2 or 3 (if I recall correctly).

Pre-ordered. Would have gotten the collector's edition if they have included the collection of soundtracks like the japanese one.

Lren

Super excited for this to come out. Played it at Pax East and it alleviated a some of the concerns I had regarding the battle system. With Star Ocean 2 being one of my favorite games ever, just getting another game in the series over here is a win. Gonna be a great week.

Jubern

Played the Japanese version and absolutely loved it.

It's definitely held down by budget constraints and as a result cutscene direction and general diversity for environments and enemies suffer a great deal, but I put it waaaaaay higher than 4.

TBQH, the fact that it only took me 30 hours to complete (with 70% of side-quests completed) was also a big plus, as I don't have as much time to play as I used too and the game ends before its lack of variety starts to show to much.

Buy this people, you likely won't be disappointed and you'll do a good deed too.

mhayes86

I love the Star Ocean series, but I'm holding off on this one for a bit. I didn't realize how close it and Tokyo Mirage's release dates were, so I'm focusing on one at a time. Other than the short length, I've read some people saying that SO5 is better than SO4, so that's good to hear.

Neku054

Neo Member
Looking forward to playing this on tuesday and the coming weeks, been having an itch lately to play a new action RPG and ive enjoyed the Star Ocean games a lot (loved the combat and story of 3 and combat of 4)

Top Bottom