• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR TREK ONLINE: The |OT| of Going Where No Gamer Has Gone Before....

DrBo42

Ok so that speech bind post was amazing. I'm constantly maneuvering during battle so that shield direction set of commands helped me so much :lol. I can't figure out how to bind the power level presets like attack, defense etc. The post lists genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0 as the command but where the hell do I put that?

Edit: Thanks Won!

Won

firehawk12 said:
Is that good in MMO terms?

I guess the real test is who sticks around for March.

It's very good, but yeah, launch day numbers are not that interesting these days. WAR also sold 1 million and that somehow kinda backfired on them.

DrBo42 said:
Ok so that speech bind post was amazing. I'm constantly maneuvering during battle so that shield direction set of commands helped me so much . I can't figure out how to bind the power level presets like attack, defense etc. The post lists genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0 as the command but where the hell do I put that?

Saved that from one of the threads during beta. Never tried it myself though. Simply typing into the chat should be enough.

/bind f1 genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_0
/bind f2 genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_1
/bind f3 genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_2
/bind f4 genbuttonclick powerlevel_preset_3

Also got my copy finally. Reeeally need to play this game. :(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Lonewolf_92 said:
In Space:
Phaser: Chance to disable a random subsystem
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistance
Plasma: Chance to proc a fire based DoT
Tetryon: Chance to proc Shield damage
Polaron: Chance to drain power from all subsystems
Anti-Proton: Bonus Crit damage

Projectile:
Photon: Less damage but faster fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Quantum: More damage but slow fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Plasma: medium damage with a chance to apply a DoT that ignores shields (decent against both unshielded and shielded targets). Plasma's version of High Yield fires a Plasma Ball that can be targeted and shot down.
Transphasic: low damage, but much more of it penetrates shields (very good against shielded targets, mediocre against unshielded targets). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Chroniton: can slow down enemies. (nice for making enemies' weakened shields harder to protect, or as a rear launcher to use when running away). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Tricobalt: very high damage, and a short disable effect (stops target from using any powers for a moment). has a very long cooldown and doesn't get modified by Boff powers.

On Ground:
Phaser: Chance to stun
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistances
Plasma: Chance to proc fire based DoT
Polaron: Chance to proc weapon disable
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!! All MMORPG companies can learn a lot from Blizzard on how to throw together information both in game and on an official site. The information in game is absolute pathetic for STO, even clicking the info link on an item. I don't know if they want to leave some "mystery" or kill the min/maxers or whatever... but it's not fun having to decide between 4 different shield rewards only to not have a clear cut idea on what the difference is between them.

Hate the trash heap that is the Official Forum right now (hopefully they go to paying members only soon to get rid of most of the trolls), but there is an occasional nugget of gold in among all that dross. This thread is one such nugget.
I just have to stop visiting the forums... 99.9% of what it is right now is just venom. Obviously there are areas to criticize in the game (or in any game) but almost every post is "Omg Cryptic is "charging for DLC"/"skill cap"/"billing issue" and sucks. How can you sheep be fooled into this!!!". Utterly worthless. Unfortunately there are people who for whatever reason are trolling AND paid for a retail copy, so while requiring a subscription will kill a lot of the trolls, I wouldn't expect the forums to be a normal game community until after a month or so.

This game is blowing me away at how terrible and boring it is. What do people possibly see in it? What does a ventrilo server filled with people enjoying themselves sound like?
don't MMORPG much, huh? about the worst that can be said is that ground combat/missions don't break any new ground... as for the shoebox qualm, there are still plenty of zone-based MMORPGs on the market and popular. I don't find the zones here much smaller than any other zone based MMORPG. The seamlessness of WoW's world is nice, but you can't expect to portray the expanse of space with a seamless world/universe. like I said, the worst that can be said for the game is that it doesn't break any new ground except for space combat, and even space combat is going to be a love or hate thing with as much of a departure as it is. Plus they've had enough interesting missions thrown in (surprisingly a number of mysteries that have caused me to mildly care) that it is providing fun for me.

Medalion

Banned
If I am only a lieutentant level 4, and my ship is equpped with 2 dual heavy disruptors mk ii in the forward (no torpedos) and disruptor mk ii in the aft of the ship with all power diverted to weapons. I got a mk ii shield generator... I'm still getting pwned by hordes of Klingons... I gotta figure a way to draw them away from large groups or else I get overwhelmed.

Medalion said:
If I am only a lieutentant level 4, and my ship is equpped with 2 dual heavy disruptors mk ii in the forward (no torpedos) and disruptor mk ii in the aft of the ship with all power diverted to weapons. I got a mk ii shield generator... I'm still getting pwned by hordes of Klingons... I gotta figure a way to draw them away from large groups or else I get overwhelmed.

I think that you really has to make an effort to be pwned by the regular enemies, if you're choosing missions of your level.

Use a frontal torpedo and frontal phaser (or disruptor mk ii). With your current configuration, you have a lot of blind flanks. Use full power to weapons, get a tactical with torpedo yield, and start attacking at 10 km, launching a torpedo with torpedo yield, and spamming space (all beams) to lower their shields before the torpedo arrives.

Move slow to have the opportunity to launch more torpedos until they arrive, and then... dance, try to keep the ships in your frontal, and launching torpedos (with torpedo yield), and keep pressing space to use the beams.

borghe

biggest things to emphasize... you need torpedos, you need to move slowly (I typically cut to 1/4 impulse), and never be afraid to use evasive maneuvers especially if either the ship moves out of your flanking arc or one side of your shields are getting hammered. on the subject of shields if you have an engineer BO with emergency power to shields even better. and on the tactical front emergency power to weapons is a nice bonus and for tactical captains attack pattern alpha is practically a must.

Medalion

Banned
My ship is ironically or not named the U.S.S. Aggressor.

So I pretty much go full on into the heat of battle, which means being surrounded by ships that fire at me from all angles so that's why I die easily.... gotta change strategies :lol

WillyFive

LosDaddie said:
Damn, Willy105....already got yourself an Official GAF thread. Nice! :D

You missing GameSpot yet?:lol

No, since a bunch of Gamespot users got together and begged Gamespot to un-ban me. So now I am reinstated in Gamespot. Don't know what to do now though.

R2D4

Banned
When do you get a Constitution class ship? I'm sick of this Miranda. I'm Lieutenant level 5 currently.

And can I get an invite to the GAF fleet? LaForge@averwo

LosDaddie

Banned
Willy105 said:
No, since a bunch of Gamespot users got together and begged Gamespot to un-ban me. So now I am reinstated in Gamespot.

But didn't you get banned for a bullshit reason anyway? :lol

Willy105 said:
Don't know what to do now though.

What do you miss about GS? I still blog there, but that's it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
R2D4 said:
When do you get a Constitution class ship? I'm sick of this Miranda. I'm Lieutenant level 5 currently.

You can get a Constitution cruiser at tier 2

R2D4 said:

You can change the Miranda for Centaur or Shi'kar. Or even parts of it, in ship configuration, in solar starbase.

And, also, leveling to 11 is very very fast.

Zzoram

Effect said:
Is there a story taking place in this game or just a bunch of missions that aren't at all connected?

There are a bajillion side quests (many repeatable) but there is a linear main storyline that is comprised of 3 seasons (so far), each of ~20ish episodes (represented by a quest, often with both a ground and space component).

Zzoram

The_Technomancer said:
Also, for making fast turns, try cutting your speed in half for the first half of the turn, than going back up to full to finish it out. Saves you a few seconds.

Ya, the fastest turning is done at half impulse.

Zzoram

Chris_C said:
Where do I enter my CD key? All of a sudden the game is telling me "You are not allowed to log into this server at this time" and I can only imagine it's because I haven't ever entered my CD key (I bought the game from Steam but I'm not using Steam to launch it).

EDIT: Never mind, seems to be just a server capacity problem, I was able to log on eventually.

Now what I'd like to know is why I don't see the TOS uniform set listed as an option in the uniform list, I bought the Steam DDE.

I think you need to activate your DDE cdkey on the STO official website while logged into your STO account before you unlock the DDE items. A lot of people are still playing on their preorder cdkey and haven't input their retail cdkey yet. The preorder cdkey expires tomorrow so you'll need to input your retail cdkey to play your 30 included days.

Zzoram

Lonewolf_92 said:
In Space:
Phaser: Chance to disable a random subsystem
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistance
Plasma: Chance to proc a fire based DoT
Polaron: Chance to drain power from all subsystems

Projectile:
Photon: Less damage but faster fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Quantum: More damage but slow fire rate. Regular boff effect.
Plasma: medium damage with a chance to apply a DoT that ignores shields (decent against both unshielded and shielded targets). Plasma's version of High Yield fires a Plasma Ball that can be targeted and shot down.
Transphasic: low damage, but much more of it penetrates shields (very good against shielded targets, mediocre against unshielded targets). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Chroniton: can slow down enemies. (nice for making enemies' weakened shields harder to protect, or as a rear launcher to use when running away). Comes with standard Boff powers.
Tricobalt: very high damage, and a short disable effect (stops target from using any powers for a moment). has a very long cooldown and doesn't get modified by Boff powers.

On Ground:
Phaser: Chance to stun
Disruptor: Chance to debuff damage resistances
Plasma: Chance to proc fire based DoT
Polaron: Chance to proc weapon disable

Hate the trash heap that is the Official Forum right now (hopefully they go to paying members only soon to get rid of most of the trolls), but there is an occasional nugget of gold in among all that dross. This thread is one such nugget.

I personally roll with Dual Disruptor Beam Arrays, Photon Torpedoes, and Quantum Mines, but I've been thinking about Plasma Torpedoes (since they have been a subject of discussion in Fleet chat of late) and wondering if their ability would work with the BOff ability "Torpedo Spread". It could be very useful against groups of targets.

One of my biggest beefs with this game is that seemingly NOTHING is transparent. Why do you have to go to a forum to understand what different weapon types do?!?! All of that information should be clearly displayed in-game. I have the same problem with the captain (player character) skills. The descriptions are vague and adding points just adds +2 of some meaningless number.

borghe

Zzoram said:
One of my biggest beefs with this game is that seemingly NOTHING is transparent. Why do you have to go to a forum to understand what different weapon types do?!?! All of that information should be clearly displayed in-game. I have the same problem with the captain (player character) skills. The descriptions are vague and adding points just adds +2 of some meaningless number.
I don't normally agree with your bagging on the game, but as I said earlier I am 100% behind you on this. WoW and LOTRO both do an excellent job of providing small boxes (kit or BO text anyone!!?!?!?!?!? :O ) with concise and relevant information. Obviously there are hard numbers in the game engine itself.. there is no reason for Cryptic to have given us these vague descriptions... my biggest complaint with the game (admittedly of only a few).

Zzoram

For the speech commands, does it just add an alternate option of using speech commands or does it require it? I just want the option to use speech or a button.

Zzoram

borghe said:
I don't normally agree with your bagging on the game, but as I said earlier I am 100% behind you on this. WoW and LOTRO both do an excellent job of providing small boxes (kit or BO text anyone!!?!?!?!?!? :O ) with concise and relevant information. Obviously there are hard numbers in the game engine itself.. there is no reason for Cryptic to have given us these vague descriptions... my biggest complaint with the game (admittedly of only a few).

Hearing that they have 1 million players at launch makes me a bit happier. It means that this game might actually get support. However, I am still glad I didn't buy the lifetime sub. I doubt I could get 18+1(first free) months of solid play out of the game, even if it was broken up by breaks.

I'm definitely interested in buying 2-3 months at a time, taking breaks in between to allow new content to build up for my next binge.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Are there hotkeys to select your different away team members and tell them to attack certain targets? Is there a hotkey to set an individual or group rally point? I like that you can pause the game and give orders, but it's a pain in the ass to have to click a portrait, then click a tiny little box to give a command, then click where you want them to go... for 4 different people.

Zzoram said:

Funny thing is, during beta all that was listed with the weapons, including the percentage chance of that weapon's special ability activating and how long it stayed active (like Dual Disruptor Beam Banks Mk II is something like 3% for 5 seconds). For some reason they removed that info in the switch to retail. The only reason I know it's still valid is because of "Disruptor Burn" my enemies have received.

JWong

Banned
2qcjr79.jpg

What the heck is this ship? I want it.

Delio

Anyone getting insane lag tonight? I cant even log out without it taking forever and i cant respawn anymore. Dont know whats going on and it only started after that last patch :/.

JdFoX187

Banned
Delio said:
Anyone getting insane lag tonight? I cant even log out without it taking forever and i cant respawn anymore. Dont know whats going on and it only started after that last patch :/.
Had major lag last night on the ground. None in space. Getting on now though, so I'm hoping not.

Luthair

JWong said:
Anyone had fun at the buffed Crystalline Entity?

It's practically unkillable now. :lol

Me and 18 other LtC tried to kill it and it kept going to 30 percent health and WHAM! back to 43-45 percent health over and over lol. After about a hour I bailed >.<

TheExodu5

Banned
borghe said:
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!! All MMORPG companies can learn a lot from Blizzard on how to throw together information both in game and on an official site. The information in game is absolute pathetic for STO, even clicking the info link on an item. I don't know if they want to leave some "mystery" or kill the min/maxers or whatever... but it's not fun having to decide between 4 different shield rewards only to not have a clear cut idea on what the difference is between them.

The information in early WoW was pitiful as well.

derFeef

I saw an Admiral yesterday with a star cruiser, goddamn how can people level that fast? Also - that ship was ugly...

Zzoram

The_Technomancer said:
Anyone know what exactly happened to Deepspace K7? I heard it got blown up by Klingons or something.

I heard K7 is bugged and they're working on a fix. They may have disabled it until it is fixed.

Zzoram

WuselDusel said:
I saw an Admiral yesterday with a star cruiser, goddamn how can people level that fast? Also - that ship was ugly...

There was an exploit where people would camp the Crystalline Entity, mine the respawn point, and as soon as it appeared it would die. That doesn't happen anymore, they buffed the Crystalline Entity in the last patch to have way more health and now it's actually hard to kill so no more rushing to Admiral.

Zzoram

FlyinJ said:
Are there hotkeys to select your different away team members and tell them to attack certain targets? Is there a hotkey to set an individual or group rally point? I like that you can pause the game and give orders, but it's a pain in the ass to have to click a portrait, then click a tiny little box to give a command, then click where you want them to go... for 4 different people.

You can rightclick drag those icons into your 1-0 hotbar if you want.

Top Bottom