• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront III : Free Radical Design version

Shiggy

That looks pretty rough and early indeed. Is this the only built you've got, borman?
The November build seems to run at more or less stable 30 FPS, though it's the PC version.

What's this fix patch you speak of?

KotOR II was amazing up to the end. If only Obsidian had enough time to finish the game, it probably would rank in my top 10.

There's a mod out there that adds in most of the cut content back in to the game, making it slightly more complete, or nearer to what Obsidian envisioned for the game. I'm not sure if they ever finished the mod... I lost interest in it a few years back.

iirate

I'm not a fan of Star Wars, and I don't play many shooters (I started with CS, moved on to Halo 1 and a few other games, then I was burnt out about 1.5 years into Halo 2), but man, Battlefront (especially 1) was a ton of fun.

Also, I'll forever remember the demo of the first game, and how it felt/looked completely different from the release version.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The game my Star Wars fan self circa 15 years ago would have given a left nut to play. Running to hop into an X-Wing amidst blaster fights, swooping all the way out of the atmosphere and into space combat with a Star Destroyer all in uninterrupted gameplay.

OH WELL EH, I CAN ALWAYS DANCE LIKE HAN SOLO TO SOOTHE THIS SORROW OF MINE.

Borman

According to someone I know who was working on this, this is super early and he's actually a bit upset that something this old is what leaked rather than the later versions that looked considerably better.

It's one of those times where I can only share what I have. While I would love to show you footage from a later build, I dont have any. I was as upfront about it as possible, labeling it as early and all that. They did a great job on it, regardless of how early the footage is.

If anyone from FRD wants to send me a message, I'm always willing to listen, anonymous for anything, be it our conversation, pictures, video, or more. I'm easy to find. Here, twitter, emails are out there, any number of things.

Borman

Im not surfer girl at all. Although I did find one of the games she had mentioned, in A.I. The Circuit for the Xbox 1.

If you get any clips from the Galactic Civil War era make sure to post them. Would love to see how they envisioned all of that.

Hopefully the Spark version isn't complete crud.

Borman

If you get any clips from the Galactic Civil War era make sure to post them. Would love to see how they envisioned all of that.

Hopefully the Spark version isn't complete crud.

There will be some things later. Takes a while to encode and upload.

slave.jpg

That is awesome, definitely one of the ships I always wanted to fly in Battlefront.

Thinking of when LucasArts will decide to announce the new Battlefront III . . . it's likely going to be this year, but they don't want to steal the attention away from their other products. So give SW Kinect another month or so and maybe we'll hear something. Bunch of conventions coming up, LA has to have something to show. Have they announced anything beyond SW Kinect yet?

Never understood LucasArts lack of rush to push 3 out. At a time it was the best selling Star Wars game, and with how popular multiplayer shooters are this generation would have sold crazy.
now Star Wars has lost interest, and the general audience probably doesn't even remember Battlefront.

Junie12

I love the Battlefront series and it's a damn shame we'll never see another one again. Online with this thing would've been fun as hell. :(

Ezalc

You forgot: Republic Commando, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight 1+2, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

I played a bit of republic commando and I don't understand what was so great about it. Just played Battlefront 1 today with a friend though. What I wouldn't give for Battlefront 3, one of the best star wars games ever.

matt05891

I played a bit of republic commando and I don't understand what was so great about it.
The fact that you were literally in the boots of, and commanding a squad of clone troopers. It gave it a much more realistic approach. To me it also had a immersion factor. Next to another Jedi Knight game and Battlefront I would love another Republic Commando(But call it Imperial Commando and give it the obvious setting after III, maybe before IV? There is a good gap for say hunting Jedi or such.)

Either way I want I new, good, Star Wars game.

Hi, I was an assistant producer at Free Radical, working only on BF3 up until the company's abrupt demise in December 2008.

Having read this topic on BF3, I'd say that most of the details are pretty accurate. Particularly Mclem's on the first page of this topic. To date, the only reporting I've seen of this that's got some details quite wrong and jumped to the wrong assumptions were, of course, on Kotaku.

If you have questions, I'll answer what I can in this topic. Whilst I'm not under NDA or have plans to return to games development I have huge respect for the guys I worked with at both FRD and LA and I hope you'll understand if I limit some details of my responses in light of that (and also because there'll be plenty I didn't know or have forgotten since.)

What was the last legitimately good Star Wars game (not including TOR, if you're so inclined)?

Republic Commando and Empire at War often get ignored but both were excellent games. And TOR is pretty good too even if people want to dismiss it because it's a MMO

Schrödinger's cat;36729936 said:
Hi, I was an assistant producer at Free Radical, working only on BF3 up until the company's abrupt demise in December 2008.

Having read this topic on BF3, I'd say that most of the details are pretty accurate. Particularly Mclem's on the first page of this topic. To date, the only reporting I've seen of this that's got some details quite wrong and jumped to the wrong assumptions were, of course, on Kotaku.

If you have questions, I'll answer what I can in this topic. Whilst I'm not under NDA or have plans to return to games development I have huge respect for the guys I worked with at both FRD and LA and I hope you'll understand if I limit some details of my responses in light of that (and also because there'll be plenty I didn't know or have forgotten since.)

Do you know if it's true about the various other developers that were rumored to have had the game passed onto?

Schrödinger's cat;36729936 said:
It was reported that you guys (Free Radical) ended up keeping the rights the the technology you created to get seamless ground to space transitions. Did LucasArts show any interest to acquire what you guys have accomplished so far?

Do you know if it's true about the various other developers that were rumored to have had the game passed onto?

During development time I knew Rebellion were to be using the FRD-made assets for the portable versions of the game.

It wasn't until a year or so ago that I learned that Rebellion were pitching to LucasArts to take over the 360 and PS3 version that FRD were currently working on. LucasArts were, apparently, negotiating with them about it.

I don't know about any other developers related to BF3.

It was reported that you guys (Free Radical) ended up keeping the rights the the technology you created to get seamless ground to space transitions. Did LucasArts show any interest to acquire what you guys have accomplished so far?

That wouldn't have been a discussion I'd have been involved with so I simply can't answer that, sorry.

FRD were strong believers in retaining rights to their work. I expect this approach made negotiations with publishers a little trickier. As far as BF3 was concerned, assets belonged to LucasArts, tech belonged to FRD.

I don't understand Lucas Arts, they can battlefront 3 and focuses on the shitty the force unleashed serie.

Force Unleashed was developed internally at LucasArts. LucasArts introduced a reference to Rahm Kota in BF3's single player story too. I'd assume they felt a stronger investment with their internally produced product, had more control and were able to get better return on investment with a sequel.

My understanding, at the start of the project at least, was that LucasArts were very much aware of the popularity of the Battlefront games. There was talk and some conceptual work of Battlefront 4 (with the key hook being it taking place in alternate SW universes where you could have a Light-side Darth Vader or a Dark-side Obi Wan Kenobi etc.) and even talk of yearly instalments.

LucasArts had a staff reshuffle during BF3's development - seeing up to a third of their staff lose their jobs. This included some higher ups. I'd speculate that the BF franchise may have been reviewed differently by those that remained. But that's guesswork on my part.

Thanks for your responses Schrödinger's cat! Must be difficult to have worked on a product for so long and having this grand vision for it and all the public will ever see are these unfinished videos. Were you also apart of the team when they made Haze? I know it didn't get the reception you may have wished for (also heard that FRD was forced to stray far from their original vision) but just getting a game to store shelves is a huge accomplishment in its own. And it sure made for a really great weekend of co-op with a buddy of mine, very much appreciated.

For those wondering when we may hear of Battlefront 3, there is going to be the Star Wars Celebration VI coming up in early August and on their web page it says they will let you experience Star Wars videogames from the past, present, and future (thanks TuggieGameReviews on youtube). Seeing as there's no Star Wars games known currently in development, surely something will be announced between now and then.

Were you also apart of the team when they made Haze? I know it didn't get the reception you may have wished for (also heard that FRD was forced to stray far from their original vision)

I joined FRD in the same week that Haze was announced at E3. I wasn't too involved on that project however. Yes, its moved from its original vision but I imagine that applies to many games. I know that the detail about switching sides was something FRD wanted to keep under wraps but that the publisher overruled them on.

Shiggy

Schrödinger's cat;36751523 said:
I joined FRD in the same week that Haze was announced at E3. I wasn't too involved on that project however. Yes, its moved from its original vision but I imagine that applies to many games. I know that the detail about switching sides was something FRD wanted to keep under wraps but that the publisher overruled them on.

Do you know more about the development of SWB4? From what I could gather it was in pre-production and started in late 2007? Was it much of a surprise when SWB3 was canned after LucasArts canned SWB4 only months before?

I've heard that FRD management realized after the SWB4 cancellation that they better not solely depend on SWB3 and thus encouraged various internal prototypes. Do you know more about those? A racer? A Wii title?

Also, regarding TS4, did much work get done on that title?

Top Bottom