• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

DeSolos

They're using photogrammetry to create assets from real world objects, using physically based rendering to create physically accurate materials(see Order 1886), and they're using Enlighten for global illumination(see Dragon Age Inquisition).

There is nothing impossible about the game looking that good. Running at 60fps is another story, but I think people are being unreasonably incredulous. This is a current gen exclusive Frostbite game. It'll look better than the cross gen titles we've gotten so far.

MormaPope

Banned
So no gameplay was shown for a game that's supposed to come out in 7 months.

Awesome. Expect Battlefield gameplay with Star Wars graphix.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The trailer was pre-rendered on a ~$3,000 PC in an effort to fool the masses. If you own a ~$3,000 PC the cutscenes might look similar to the trailer. As far as gameplay goes, I agree that that it will look similar to BF: Hardline in visual fidelity.
Guaranteed it looks better than Hardline. BF4 looks better than Hardline LOL

Awesome.

Why would they show gameplay? What reason do they have?

It's a star wars game by the battlefield guys with a big marketing push. They could avoid showing gameplay until release if they wanted to. It just doesn't matter when you're talking mass market like this.

dork

Banned

It's a star wars game by the battlefield guys with a big marketing push. They could avoid showing gameplay until release if they wanted to. It just doesn't matter when you're talking mass market like this.

I mean...every sale counts. If showing gameplay is going to hurt sales..you're going to have a bad time

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Yeah? How much gameplay did we see of GTAV 7 months out?

None.

That game was clearly a disaster.

Also, we knew way beforehand there was to be no gameplay. So expecting otherwise is just chosing to be ignorant.

There will be big gameplay demos, probably on either the Sony/MS/EA press conference, that show SWBF gameplay. In engine is better than pure CGI, gives us a way better idea of what the game will look like. Compared to say the Halo 5 or Deus Ex pure CGI trailers, where we have absolutely no clue what the game will look like.

Man

DICE has said for a while now that they are tuning Frostbite specifically to PS4 and Mantle (now for Vulcan).

With Star Wars Battlefront being their first next-gen-only game I'm expecting it to look amazing.

MormaPope

Banned

Probably the best point regarding my own feelings. As someone who doesn't instantly cum when I see something related to Star Wars and has been disappointed in Battlefield since BF3, my doubt is pretty heavy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This, and them announcing commitment to 60fps across all platforms so early, for some reason has me thinking they might be achieving that with some kind of natural flow effect akin to that used in most modern TV's. Just a feeling.

Maybe something like Killzone's re projection?

They're using photogrammetry to create assets from real world objects, using physically based rendering to create physically accurate materials(see Order 1886), and they're using Enlighten for global illumination(see Dragon Age Inquisition).

There is nothing impossible about the game looking that good. Running at 60fps is another story, but I think people are being unreasonably incredulous. This is a current gen exclusive Frostbite game. It'll look better than the cross gen titles we've gotten so far.

Agreed. Technology and tools have moved on even since BF4 and some of those screenshots on the previous page seem perfectly doable on a PS4 at 900p. The Boba Fett one looks pretty great though.

UnrealEck

The trailer was pre-rendered on a ~$3,000 PC in an effort to fool the masses. If you own a ~$3,000 PC the cutscenes might look similar to the trailer. As far as gameplay goes, I agree that that it will look similar to BF: Hardline in visual fidelity.

Are you skeptical a $3000 PC can facilitate those graphics?
It looks like Dragon Age Inquisition with an improvement to lighting and effects (particles and motion blur noticeably), just as DAI was to BF4.

platocplx

Just Read this too. Im suspecting it will look that good based on using that to create all the 3D models vs having to build them based on artist renderings alone.

rashbeep

Banned

Agreed with all of this. The 60fps claim is something I don't see them achieving, but after reading up on the tech, it really is there for this game to look that good.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter had amazing looking assets because of photogrammetry.

MormaPope

Banned
Yeah? How much gameplay did we see of GTAV 7 months out?

None.

That game was clearly a disaster.

LOL my way to the market, there multiple trailers showing in game shit happening and stuff you can actually do in the game. Not to mention Rockstar releases breakdown trailers detailing a bunch of shit in their games.

p3tran

Banned
so, I've watched the trailer a couple of times, and I can say I am very happy with it.
they got the atmosphere just right, the explosions, the setting, colors, sounds, everything oozes "starwars"

also, the trailer clearly states at the beginning and at the end exactly what it is, "Game Engine Footage", so there is no point in all of us acting like this is the first time we see a big publisher presenting its game, and how it works.

its all good folks!

finally, I tried to find a frame <<representative>> of what gameplay will be like, and this is my find:

gameplayn6s1m.jpg

congrats dice, I like what I see 8)
just make sure online play errr works! :p

Seanspeed

Banned

This is what I expect games to look like on PS5.

It's not happening now, though. Not in 2015. It'll look better than BF4, sure. But it wont look an entire generation ahead like this.

Personally, I think Hardline was an embarrassment. I don't know who at EA decided it would be a good idea.

In terms of development cost, i imagine Hardline was pretty cheap to make. The bar for profitability was probably pretty low, so EA did what EA does best, milk their consumers.

Focusing on MP on these games is the most important things and having a "Spec Ops" type of mode from MW2?
That's a formula I've wished for DICE to use for a while now. Ditch the campaign and focus on Spec Ops/BC2's Onslaught mode as an additional co-op mode. Looking forward to seeing how this works in Battlefront.

Personally, I think Hardline was an embarrassment. I don't know who at EA decided it would be a good idea.

First BF game i don't buy in a long time. Those graphics were horrible. I couldn't get passed it.

They would have to do a major screw up for me to pass up on this. Maybe the 40 players instead of 64 online helped boost the visuals and frame rate?

Man

The trailer is really well directed. The camera angle when the AT-AT goes down and such feels like original trilogy material.

zugzug

no way that game is playable on a 970 at 1080p 60fps. no way.

putting up the shield and they other guy rocket boosting up to fire missile was good, otherwise everything else was just a movie scene and not showing me gameplay.

It was really really sad that they had to harken back to the Return of the Jedi fightscene to evoke some feelings for us.

That showed zero gameplay and just movie play from what I saw. I was disappointed.

Drayco21

That's a formula I've wished for DICE to use for a while now. Ditch the campaign and focus on Spec Ops/BC2's Onslaught mode as an additional co-op mode. Looking forward to seeing how this works in Battlefront.

It's a serious shame that this is the game they're adopting it for. I couldn't care less about single player in Battlefield, but the Rise of the Empire story and the Galactic Conquest stuff were the best parts about the first two Battlefront games and losing that really diminishes my hype.

lol x2. BF Hardline looked worse than BF4. Battlefront should look better than BF4 if only for being next gen exclusive
I don't doubt that it will look slightly better than BF4, but not quite as good as these trailers. The geometric detail in the trailer is simply on another level. I honestly doubt we will see anything like that on PS4/XB1 for at least a couple more years down the road (if at all), and most certainly NOT at 60fps.

GameSeeker

Are you skeptical a $3000 PC can facilitate those graphics?
It looks like Dragon Age Inquisition with an improvement to lighting and effects (particles and motion blur noticeably), just as DAI was to BF4.

Can a ~$3,000 PC render the cut-scene graphics from the trailer? Yes. Can it do at 60fps? Unknown.

Frostbite 3 runs well on highend PC's, so that's your best option for getting something close to the trailer. Frostbite 3 runs poorly on PS4/XB1 as proven by BF4 and BF:Hardline. 1080p/60fps is very unlikely to happen on consoles. Just like on previous Frostbite titles EA will lower the resolution, drop graphical effects, have lousy AA, etc. all in an effort to maintain framerate.

Pezus

I don't doubt that it will look slightly better than BF4, but not quite as good as these trailers. The geometric detail in the trailer is simply on another level. I honestly doubt we will see anything like that on PS4/XB1 for at least a couple more years down the road (if at all), and most certainly NOT at 60fps.

Yes, I agree. I don't think it will look quite that good on consoles. Maybe on high end PCs :p

Nyx

Great trailer, I would be happy with BF4 quality graphics on the PS4, don't expect it to look like this.

Still, great trailer!

Acinixys

Can a ~$3,000 PC render the cut-scene graphics from the trailer? Yes. Can it do at 60fps? Unknown.

Frostbite 3 runs well on highend PC's, so that's your best option for getting something close to the trailer. Frostbite 3 runs poorly on PS4/XB1 as proven by BF4 and BF:Hardline. 1080p/60fps is very unlikely to happen on consoles. Just like on previous Frostbite titles EA will lower the resolution, drop graphical effects, have lousy AA, etc. all in an effort to maintain framerate.

Does it really matter in the end?

I have a GTX 460 and play BF4 on high

The game still looks great

I play games for gameplay and fun-ness

If people are going to splerg out on GFX they are playing video games for the wrong reason

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Can't argue with those visuals if they pull them off at 60fps. The gameplay is obviously going to be pretty varied but beyond that there isn't much to say. Looking forward to it though.

Apath

Going to wait for real gameplay videos to surface before getting hyped on graphics, and I'm going to wait until after release to see if it's a buggy POS like BF4 before buying.

Top Bottom