• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode VII title confirmed- The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastNac

I'm not super pleased with it personally.

Just doesn't ring too well as of now.

Also seems to undercut Luke's victory in Return.

inm8num2

I dig the title quite a bit. It seems to refer simultaneously to the protagonists and antagonists - a new conflict within the force.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Attack of the Clones is a great title, I thought these movies were supposed to be fun. Also has everyone forgotten you're talking about something called STAR WARS, which is a pretty stupid name for something in the first place.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
This is not how that story goes.

I'm wondering, since there's no Episode VII in that logo anywhere, if we're going back to just calling the Star Wars movies by their titles, instead of forcing the Episode numbers in there.

Also: Eh. That sounds like a Star Wars title, alright.

Im sensing a little "Star Trek into darkness" naming thing going on here by dropping the numbers

Is it possible that the force (which has proven to be sentient to the point it CREATED a chosen one to balance itself) is playing a more direct part in the events of the galaxy?

The force ITSELF is awakening? Like some sort of natural disaster?

Attack of the Clones is a great title, I thought these movies were supposed to be fun. Also has everyone forgotten you're talking about something called STAR WARS, which is a pretty stupid name for something in the first place.

Literal translation from spanish title is 'Galaxies War': La Guerra de las Galaxias.

Is it possible that the force (which has proven to be sentient to the point it CREATED a chosen one to balance itself) is playing a more direct part in the events of the galaxy?

Or a beeing. Since Luke is so powerful it tries to balance out again. Leya must have learned how to use the force too.

Schattenjäger;137628616 said:
so why would the force go to sleep after ROTJ? Wouldn't Luke have set up a new council ?

By the end of ROTJ there are only two Force users on the Universe, and one does not even know it has it.

So it makes sense that after bringing the balance to the Force, it starts to awaken and regenerate again.

raindoc

It doesn't. This is really bothering me. Return of the Jedi means The Force is kicking ass left and right already. You can't say "The Force Awakens" after that. No way.

isn't it obvious? the midichlorians had been sleeping, now they're awoken and BOOM! - MoS levels of destruction.

It's ok, not bad enough to warrant the reaction it's getting. I think after decades of off shoot media products people are just desensitized to the subtitles.

I'll agree with the others in that it sounds fairly generic, but nevertheless totally fits in line with the most recent rumors about Luke and particularly, why
he goes into seclusion for 30 years

I think this is a good guess. It's pretty obvious to me: something is going to stir up the Force big time and it could even take a mind of its own, so to speak. There will be some huge event to rattle the Force itself, hence the term "awakens." It could have a positive or negative effect, but probably negative, and it will be up to the heroes to restore balance or calm it the fuck down somehow. But let people keep thinking that it literally means that the Force wakes up from a nap or... whatever seems to be going through everyone's heads right now.

-griffy-

Banned

The Force is going to take a physical form in this film. What we find out all along is that the force is actually an evil entity trying to control the galaxy through its servants: the sith and jedi. The Force isn't strong enough to pull itself fully together though so it will take form as a lidless sarlaac pit sitting on top of a tower from which to survey the galaxy (on the volcano planet that created Vader, of course). This trilogy of films will tell the tale of the unlikely fellowship who need to come together to defeat the Force, by dropping the One Sabre into the volcano from which it was created, defeating evil once and for all.

Would be a good way to set the three movies up:

Star Wars: The Force [insert verb]

I mean, when you're pushing out three Star Wars movies because geek-focused IP is huge in at the moment, you don't really want to spend all that much time quibbling about subtitles. They'll be called 7, 8 and 9.

I would also expect the plot to hint at the fact that we have a new central set of characters, in the future, and how the Force awakens in one of them and how it affects their lives?

The Force is basically magic/plot device anyway, so it awakening basically says "hey guys, stuff happens in this movie!"

Metalmarc

Star Wars - The Force Awakens

Here's some puns to get you started

Obi yawn kenobi
Snoozebacca
Bed-i
Pram solo
Leia on her bed

The Force Awakens isn't bad.. just, it isn't very good. Or exciting. I would have preferred something a little more lighthearted like "A New Hope" or something more foreboding, the like rumored "Ancient Fear".

This doesn't invoke much feeling in either direction.

This is not how that story goes.

I'm wondering, since there's no Episode VII in that logo anywhere, if we're going back to just calling the Star Wars movies by their titles, instead of forcing the Episode numbers in there.

Also: Eh. That sounds like a Star Wars title, alright.

I imagine they will promote these movies without numbers (similar to Avengers) so as to not alienate those who haven't watched 1-6, but when they release the box sets later on I'm sure they'll have the standard Episode number in the logo like all of the other movies.

And yeah seems like we're getting a trailer sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

LastNac

Apparently Lucas' original outlines dealt with Big Players working behind the scenes according to some rumors.

Well it's a better name than A New Hope, The Phantom Menace and Attack Of The Clones anyway...

And Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Let's face it, they're all corny but it's intentional. It's always been this way and won't change. They're supposed to reflect those older sci-fi titles like Attack of the Giant Ants or whatever.

My only problem, unless that's just a placeholder logo, is the lack of "Episode VII."

LastNac

The Force Awakens isn't bad.. just, it isn't very good. Or exciting. I would have preferred something a little more lighthearted like "A New Hope" or something more foreboding, the like rumored "Ancient Fear".

This doesn't invoke much feeling in either direction.
I 100% agree. It just sounds slightly bland.

An Ancient Fear was what I was hoping for honestly. Really intriguing.

Woorloog

Banned
So, does The Force in the title refer to the Force (the phenomenon) or to some other force (as in, military force or such)?
I wonder... The first interpretation is obvious. But what if it is more about the latter?
Also, it might refer to the new Jedi order (assuming there is one actually) becoming more active, so that the Force awakens in in-universe public perception.
Or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom