• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes now out on iOS and Android

antitrop

... What the hell is the gameplay like? That trailer was fucking nothing.

I was expecting a Clash of Clans ripoff, but it looks like Star Wars Chess or something.

cyress8

Banned
Was excited when I read Star Wars Galaxy, then became instantly disappointed when I saw IOS and Android.

It seems to be a turn based rpg? That trailer did not show much of anything.

Looks like the Star Wars entry into the popular Gatchapon "RPG" genre?

I thought they already had one of those though.

Edit: It is the game I was thinking of. Weird to do a trailer for a game that has been out awhile. This is basically EA's attempt at jumping on the Summoners War bandwagon.

MattyG

Banned

I was expecting a Clash of Clans ripoff, but it looks like Star Wars Chess or something.
It looks like a turn-based... something? I don't know.

It's definitely something.

Dwayne

Thanks for posting, I actually installed (not sure anyone else did) and so far am enjoying the game, it's a turn based game where you engage in battles, upgrade your characters and try to get new characters from the Star Wars universe. Seems like there's a lot to do, haven't figured it all out yet. Zero story which suits me just fine, can't stand mobile games with big cutscenes personally. Is there any social elements?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks for posting, I actually installed (not sure anyone else did) and so far am enjoying the game, it's a turn based game where you engage in battles, upgrade your characters and try to get new characters from the Star Wars universe. Seems like there's a lot to do, haven't figured it all out yet. Zero story which suits me just fine, can't stand mobile games with big cutscenes personally. Is there any social elements?

You can play against other squads. Seems like more shit unlocks the higher you go.

I'm addicted. Currently rank 2000. Trying to crack the top 1000.

I know its a time wasting game but because of the star wars wrapper I have given it more of a look than I probably should have.

So far quite enjoyable. All the sights and sounds are cool.
Seems like it will probably come to a grind at some point but until just going through the motions so far and I am enjoying it.

All I really want to do is level up every trooper that I can.

Also If you download and play it asap you get a First order Trooper.

Fliesen

you're thinking about Star Wars Commander
yhrxtu8oedavfpffiftg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I fired it up for a few minutes, seems fun enough. It's essentially a turn based version of Marvel Future Fight with a Star Wars skin, which is fine by me.

I've been playing it nearly all day yesterday and today. I'm enjoying it so far, but I can also see it turning into a grind to get those characters up to some good stats. Not to mention how much work it is just to unlock other characters. But it's still cool to see all these areas to accurately recreated and there's a ridiculous cast of playable characters.

I'm currently at level 20 and my ally code is 231-791-997 if anyone wants to add eachother.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This thread is dead, but I do want to say that I'm enjoying this game quite a lot. You can ignore all IAP and it still provides a pretty substantial experience (if you like these kinds of games).

garath

This thread is dead, but I do want to say that I'm enjoying this game quite a lot. You can ignore all IAP and it still provides a pretty substantial experience (if you like these kinds of games).

Me too. I'm playing every day. Grinding? Easy. Press a button.

Lots and lots of content. Lots of characters. Been a fun ride so far.

My only complaint is the friend system. A) codes suck. B) doesn't seem to be any way to just add random friends in game.

commish

Yeah but do we need to add people? There are always a bunch of ppl to use. But maybe there are other modes in which I need friends.

Btw, this game is a 90% copy of Heroes Charge (in so many ways), but that's not really a bad thing as HC was one of my favorite games of this type before they were sued for infringement and stopped updating. Once I understood this, everything made sense. For example, you don't waste your gems on pulls. That's almost always a useless thing because you will probably only get some shards of a character, if you're lucky (though I did get a Han). Spending your gems on stamina refreshes is the best way to go so you can farm more which gets you money, experience (very important), upgrade parts, etc. And thankfully you can just sim instead of playing when you want to farm.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like this game has a substantially worse gachapon/unlock-type mechanic than most, in that you don't even get usable units out of rolls as often as you just get tokens that add up to an unlock. I played for a few hours over the weekend and I still just have 5 light and 5 dark characters and I am not all that close to unlocking anyone new.

It's a bummer, since the game itself is pretty fun but I can hop over to similar shit like Marvel Future Fight or Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which are both a lot more lenient when it comes to character unlocks.

firelogic

It's fun. You jump in for a few minutes a couple times a day, or even once a day, and just fight or sim some battles, get gear, upgrade characters, fight other players.

Symphonic

Been enjoying it. It does seem like it could get pretty grindy down the road though, which is making me hesitant to invest a butt load of time into it.

commish

I feel like this game has a substantially worse gachapon/unlock-type mechanic than most, in that you don't even get usable units out of rolls as often as you just get tokens that add up to an unlock. I played for a few hours over the weekend and I still just have 5 light and 5 dark characters and I am not all that close to unlocking anyone new.

It's a bummer, since the game itself is pretty fun but I can hop over to similar shit like Marvel Future Fight or Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which are both a lot more lenient when it comes to character unlocks.

Right, it's just a different way of doing it. I agree that it sucks how you don't even get the full unit, but that's why I said I wouldn't spend my gems on pulls. Stamina refresh is better.

doop_

Banned
Levelled up all my squad to 17. My resistance fighter is super op. Simming battles is way to broken though.

garath

Yeah but do we need to add people? There are always a bunch of ppl to use. But maybe there are other modes in which I need friends.

Btw, this game is a 90% copy of Heroes Charge (in so many ways), but that's not really a bad thing as HC was one of my favorite games of this type before they were sued for infringement and stopped updating. Once I understood this, everything made sense. For example, you don't waste your gems on pulls. That's almost always a useless thing because you will probably only get some shards of a character, if you're lucky (though I did get a Han). Spending your gems on stamina refreshes is the best way to go so you can farm more which gets you money, experience (very important), upgrade parts, etc. And thankfully you can just sim instead of playing when you want to farm.

I dunno. I suspect you get more friend points from using real friends. Plus majority of the random allies are significantly weaker than my team :(

I did read about using gems on stamina. It makes sense. You can focus on the character you want and just churn through gems to refresh stamina instead of the gatcha.

I got lucky today and pulled a 4* Dathcha from the bronze freebie pull. I don't think that was supposed to happen. It wasn't even a shard. was the full unit. He is basically just a stronger jawa with the same aoe styld attack.

Aiming for Darth sidious via arena and fives via the cantina shipment thing. 16 days minimum for sidious unfortunately. 10 for fives. Provided I even get enough cantina points to get the daily shards for it. Those are kind of hard to come by. Only get a handful per battle.

Anoregon

I got lucky today and pulled a 4* Dathcha from the bronze freebie pull.

Geez. I got 500 credits from a pull the other day. So, you know, pretty much the same.

commish

Okay my ally code is: 862-445-837

Feel free to add me. I'll add the codes posted so far.

Aselith

I'm enjoying the game so far, it's Heroes Charge which works well with the Star Wars franchise I think. Hopefully the strategy layer gets a little deeper but it's fun as a time waster so far.

Game is pretty fun as an occasional time waster. Anything that lets me put Ahsoka and Asajj on the same team is going to get my attention.

Ally code: 841-561-281

I added the numbers I saw in here. I'm still pretty scrub-tier but I'm working on it.

Heysoos

some of these enemies can spam the hell out of their AOE. I got wrecked by four Jawas who spammed their AOE all four in a row.

garath

Added the codes I see. We do get more fp for using friends instead of randoms so that's a good thing. I'm level 38 and use dooku and chewie as my dark and light side leaders for now. Halfway to sidious. Finally broke rank 500 in pvp so I'll start to get more points daily.

My code:
134-992-324

commish

Man, the last stage in light side, level 4, is impossible. I get naded to death instantly. I know it's bugged but bummed I have to wait for a fix or just out level it.

Edit: I can't do any Cantina fights. I'm guessing something is bugged.

Heysoos

Do new levels scale with your level too? It seems like on Dark Side the enemies level quickly match my Dark side team's level so much quicker.

Kinda got into this, nice little timewaster. I like the form of progression that this game is rocking, gives even the weaker characters a sense of purpose given that if I focus fire them they might one day be mega strong. My friend code is 211-167-797 if anyone is interested, I will try to add the people already posted in this topic. My lightside Chewie is nothing to write home about but leading my darksiders is 4* Maul and he is a beast of a hero. Well worth checking out if you are rocking a lot of Sith in your darkside team.

MiguelItUp

I'm enjoying this quite a bit, however the monetization is all over the place. Sometimes it feels pretty decent, then it feels a bit ridiculous. The process of unlocking a new character feels a lot more convoluted than it needs to, lol.

commish

Do new levels scale with your level too? It seems like on Dark Side the enemies level quickly match my Dark side team's level so much quicker.

Seems about the same to me. I'm in level 4 on both sides, even though my dark side team is far, far weaker. I hate wasting resources even leveling up my 1* dudes but I guess I have no choice.

Heysoos

Getting kind of stuck. My light side team can't really progress any further. Getting completely destroyed in this level but I can't level them up further and some of the armor pieces needed are in levels I don't have access to yet according to the finder tool. My Dark Side team is slowly grinding along, but they're starting to have problems clearing levels, getting stuck with 1 star finishes.

Moff

played a few rounds
seems kinda fun
multiplayer is only against other players teams but controlled by AI?
why not against actual player controlled teams?
the cooldown on pvp also sucks

Dwayne

multiplayer is only against other players teams but controlled by AI?
why not against actual player controlled teams?
the cooldown on pvp also sucks

Yep, versus other players team controlled by AI only. Why? It's like 10 million times easier to program and support, and means you can always get a match immediately at any time of the day, without having to worry about people's connections dropping while you play. It also means if the game becomes less popular later on multiplayer will still be fully functional. IMO there's very little lost with this approach.

I understand why they have the cool down (as it doesn't cost energy to play this mode) but I do find the hike from a 5-10 minute cool down to 12 hours a bit much.

Have to say, I do like the leaderboard structure - prizes everyday, and they don't reset your ranking. Playing 3-4 multiplayer games a day sure beats playing a ton more like you need to with other games that reset your rank.

Moff

while I like the actual gameplay in the game, I feel the unlocking is way too sluggish.
my dark side team is strong but I have only three players and that's no longer enough to continue. is it really as hard as it seems to get new characters?
either buying cards with gems, but you get hardly any gems and need to buy them with real money, and even then you only have a chance to get a new character, and maybe it's even a character you already own

the other way to get new characters would be with shards but you only get those from either pvp daily rewards or completing hard mode missions, and while it takes a LOT of shards (from 25 to 80) for a character, these rewards again are very limited, without lifting the restrictions with gems you only get like 4 or 5 shards a day. and even those will be for different characters so it takes forever to get a new character.

my impression so far is that this would be a very fun game, but it ruined by far too harsh f2p limitations.
maybe I don't understand everything, yet, and I will gladly be corrected if I am wrong

Dwayne

You're not wrong it does take some effort to unlock characters, but you can focus on unlocking particular characters quite easily. For example I got Stormtrooper Han last night, it took about 5-6 days of playing in the Squad Arena and completing the daily activity that gives arena tokens. In the light/dark side battles, play the hard levels, pick a character you want to unlock, and play that battle over and over to get the tokens for them.
FWIW, I'm opening a chromium data card every 4 days or so from normal play.

But yeah, it's a F2P game, and they've only got so much content. I imagine with a franchise like this, most players will pick their team off looks rather than attributes, and not want more characters after they get the 10 they recognise and love from the movies, so there is need for the developer to make this process slow to make the game last longer (and ultimately, make a few bucks along the way).

commish

Mission 4-L is just so stupid.

Launch mission

grenade/grenade/grenade/grenade

Everyone dead

while I like the actual gameplay in the game, I feel the unlocking is way too sluggish.
my dark side team is strong but I have only three players and that's no longer enough to continue. is it really as hard as it seems to get new characters?

It's rough, I was relatively lucky with my Darth Maul pull to help support my darksiders but if I didn't have him I could see my forward progression being much slower then it has been. If it helps, once you unlock the squad cantina battles you can get another darkside character fair easily, the first mission gives you tokens for a character who only needs 10. They will be 1* of course but might be better the nothing.

LaneDS

Saw this thread a few days back and ended up messing around with the game a couple nights back. Decent enough time waster but man some of those limited time deals are pricey. I plopped in $10 thinking that'd get me a good ways but then they're asking $40 for 4 star character packs... kinda nuts.

How do allies work? Tried using the code commish posted. My code is 461-864-225 if that helps anyone!

Aselith

Saw this thread a few days back and ended up messing around with the game a couple nights back. Decent enough time waster but man some of those limited time deals are pricey. I plopped in $10 thinking that'd get me a good ways but then they're asking $40 for 4 star character packs... kinda nuts.

How do allies work? Tried using the code commish posted. My code is 461-864-225 if that helps anyone!

They're always going to do that kinda stuff in these games. Sky is the limit on how much you can spend. I'm making steady progress without spending too much though. I did take the 4.99 Dooku thing though as I enjoy Count Dooku but other than that haven't spent anything and I still have gotten some good characters.

Moff

well the ally feature sure was a game changer, so much easier if I can use other players' badass characters.

I might also buy dooku for 5 bucks if I don't get another dark side character by saturday.

what do the stars on the characters actually mean? how important is it? more than the level? and what about the gear? is there really no way to see the stats of your characters or did I just not find it?

Rudakus

Seems alright so far. My ally code is 371-411-449

Is there any reason to save up my Ally points or should I spend them immediately on the Bronzium Data cards?

Seems alright so far. My ally code is 371-411-449

Is there any reason to save up my Ally points or should I spend them immediately on the Bronzium Data cards?

I think that's the only thing they can be spent on.

I'm loving my First order Tie Pilot. The thing is so OP. He has a stronger attack then any of my other characters, and most of the time he gets a bonus attack. Ends up doing 4x the damage of other characters.

danowat

Banned
Quite a compelling gameplay loop but I can't figure out why!.

So this is what they call gachapon then? What other good games on android are like this?

Top Bottom