• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes now out on iOS and Android

inner-G

Banned
Place as high as possible in Arena. Arena tokens can be spent on special arena-shipment heroes. The best options from arena (IMO):

Sidious - Great leader ability that works with everything. Hard hitting, fast, AoE damage, heals on opponent death. Great anti-jedi character, no real downside.

Stormtrooper Han - Secretly the best tank in the game and INSANELY underrated. 3 turn taunt, gives all allies meter, and MORE meter when he's hit. You'll be giving your team 2 to 3 turns for every 1 turn of the enemy. He's a very slow burn though. Almost completely worthless out of the box and needs pretty considerable investment before you see any pay off.

Ventress/Admiral Ackbar - Ventress can get crazy if you set her up right, and she's one of only a few counters to Han Solo and other tanks. She's very slow though so you're almost forced to use her as a leader/build a team around her, but it's a pretty good team. Ackbar is a debuff counter/healer... hard to fit a pure support character into a lineup but I see potential there.

Place Galactic War and get as far as possible. Honestly, this one can be rough without a decent stable of heroes/healers. I bought the heroine pack and having Barriss made this 100% easier. Post-nerf, I don't even use her for GW except as a backup but she did get me a huge jump start on Luminara. Best heroes to farm in GW:

Luminara - Amazing Leader, Healer, damage dealer. Honestly, she's a little too good at everything but she'll improve your GW completion-rate as another healer and massive damage dealer when decked out.

Captain Phasma - New addition. Works best on a First Order team (and as leader) but it's a gamble. -speed is a pretty good debuff, and meter manipulation can help burst down guys fast. I'm not 100% sold but she seems promising.

DPS options - IG86/Resistance Pilot/Datchka/Nightshade Initiate - These are all surprisingly good. IG86 hits like a truck but is pretty glass cannon. Works best in a droid team but that damage is crazy. Resistance pilot isn't as good as before but still an option. Datchka and jawa's in general hit really hard, he's no different. Nightshade Initiate gets surprisingly tanky and his damage can be pretty crazy. Severing Strike is also pretty damn good utility attack.

Cantina - you want to get to 3-A as fast as possible for 2 reasons:

1- It unlocks Jedi Counselor shards, he's a really good mini-Luminara that you'll lose for quite a while.

2- You make 17 cantina points for every 10 energy, vrs 13 cantina points for ever 8. It's not huge, but it's better energy efficiency per point in the long run. As far as who to go for:

Daka - Dark Side lacks healers, she's a healer (and a pretty annoying one to fight with her Ressurects). That said, she's not my first choice...

Fives - Tanky as shit, counters, ally call on attack. A really good hero, very good to use in combo with Dooku. Makes AoE's very painful for the opposing team.

"Hard Mode farm" - Pick ONE character, tops, to farm with your energy. I picked Dooku since it's the only way to get him (other than luck). The rest of your energy is much better spent progressing and going after gear upgrades.
Thanks.

I've played some arena but don't know if I've gotten tokens. I haven't been doing those as much because of the wait time between matches.

Just unlocked the Cantina. Will def check that out but it looks pretty hard for my team at the moment

Thanks for the tips on characters, have a couple good tanks but need to level some damage dealers

Dwayne

Just to breakdown the "Force Awakens" deal a little:

For $124.99 NZD (Sorry, can't see the US prices) you receive:
5750 Crystals ($51.30 value)
300k Credits (340 Crystals worth, $3.03 value)

Two Characters:
Kylo-Ren 4 Stars (80 Shard Character)
Finn 4 Stars (80 Shard Character)

Shards for another two characters (unlocking them if you don't have them):
50 Poe Dameron Shards (50 Shard Character)
50 Captain Phasma Shards (50 Shard Character)

Training Droids:
40 3-star Training Droids

It's difficult to calculate the worth of the characters. But if the drop rate of characters from Chromium Data Cards is around 1 in 4, then to get 4 characters you'd need to draw 5040 Crystals worth of cards - $44.98 in cost - and wouldn't necessarily end up with 2x 3 star and 2x 4 star characters. As a side effect, you'd end up with 120 shards* for other characters, which is pretty good.

Not sure of the value of the training droids as they're not currently for sale in my shipments menu, but I'll guesstimate around $5.

So, you get $104.31 worth of stuff for $124.99. It could be worthwhile to spend the extra $20 to ensure you get the new characters rather than some crap ones depending what you want to do, but you miss out on the 120 shards you'd get drawing cards instead.

IMO the deal would be better priced at $89.99 NZD. But whatever works for them :) I don't find the deal off-putting like some others have, it's still OK value if you want those characters in particular, just not the bargain that the Dooku starter pack was. FWIW the deal isn't one of the top 10 In-App purchases listed on iTunes atm (US Store).

* You get 10 shards when shards drop from Chromium cards right?

Not looking too deep into the $99 TFA pack. I'm level 48 and haven't spent a dime. The free Phasma and Resistance trooper was an awesome surprise though, especially considering that Phasma is my go-to leader now for my Darkside team (have her at Level 48, 4 Stars, Gear V).

FO TIE Pilot is absolutely amazing and crazy strong, just squishy. Wish I could start farming his shards but not until level 54 or something for the stage 6 hard missions. Luckily they're part of this month's log in bonuses. I have him at level 48, 1 star, and gear VI.

AXE

Nice game. Love SW, but I think that I'll get off here.

Nothing really changes and it doesn't have enough strategic components to keep me interested.

Definitely one of the best SW mobile games though.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Nice game. Love SW, but I think that I'll get off here.

Nothing really changes and it doesn't have enough strategic components to keep me interested.

Definitely one of the best SW mobile games though.

With these types of games, it takes a while for the content train to get started. After a while though, it becomes almost too much to do and I quit :) usually the game is released elsewhere first so we know what's coming eventually when it comes. Here, who knows. The game is making a lot of money so I expect a few years of support.

Blank!

With these types of games, it takes a while for the content train to get started. After a while though, it becomes almost too much to do and I quit :) usually the game is released elsewhere first so we know what's coming eventually when it comes. Here, who knows. The game is making a lot of money so I expect a few years of support.

It's kept me entertained so far. I actually like the "lack" of content, because it means i can play in the morning and play at night... and quickly, and NOT be behind. Seems like every other mobile game I play demands my attention 24/7 (or I just play inefficiently, I don't know) and it's just too much.

Would like some higher level challenges though. It was fun figuring out their 'gimmick' and getting around it, but now my team outlevels them so badly I can auto-attack through them :(

aett

This game is like a 3D version of FF: Record Keeper just with less content.

It's enjoyable.

It feels a lot grindier, too. I'm only on the third chapter but the enemies are doing tons of damage to me, so I have to redo earlier stages just to earn the training droids so I can gain levels.

Aselith

Maqn, FUCK the Count Dooku cantina levels. Tons of health + high dodge + counterattacks for a ton of damage. Gotta get lucky as shit to three star that crap.

f@luS

More than a member.
Will reach level 58 today. Currently ranking between 32 and 45 in the arena everyday. Finished all dark side missions (yet to unlock level 6 at 59) and all light side available.
I have chewbacca level 7 , few others level 6 and many level 5. Though I have 2 level 4 that I often use. Dooku and Vader. Just upgrading then is insanely long.

commish

Any purpose in rerolling for a 4* or is that too much effort?

None in my eyes. I don't even know who I started with, tbh. I think Han. How long does rerolling take? I wouldn't even know which character to aim for. While some characters can only be pulled from the gacha, like Old Ben, and would thus seem like a great choice to start with, it's because they are only pulled from the gacha that they suck. It's too hard to upgrade them. The ease of upgrading a unit is so important.

I would think that Old Daka would be the best person to target since she's really the only healer for the dark side. I don't like Talia much because she has to hurt herself to heal. But pulling an Old Daka out of the gacha would take probably 100 rerolls.

Blank!

Any purpose in rerolling for a 4* or is that too much effort?

Depends on if you plan on dropping money or not IMO. It's certainly helpful to reroll for someone good.... I think I got Ewok or some shit and didn't know about re-rolling, but I have made purchases so I was okay.

Aselith

Depends on if you plan on dropping money or not IMO. It's certainly helpful to reroll for someone good.... I think I got Ewok or some shit and didn't know about re-rolling, but I have made purchases so I was okay.

I think I got a 3 star Chewie (that I don't use much) for mine and have been fine although I did buy the Dooku 4.99 pack but he's only 3 star also. I think it's a non-issue what you first start with star rating wise although it might be a good idea to reroll and get a character you like. Dunno what's possible though.

If you plan on getting the $5 Dooku pack, don't worry about rerolling. Otherwise, it'd probably be good to re-roll a 3 star or 4 Star dark side character.

Durden77

I've been dicking around with this game for a while because of Star Wars hype, and it's pretty neat, but could use a bunch of stuff. Starting with quality of life stuff.

-It would be neat to have more information about the characters in-game. I love Star Wars, but there's also a ton a don't know about the expanded universe. I just got Ima-Gun Di out of a data card. He seems cool, but I have no idea who he is.

- Battle UI improvements. Should be a more detailed way to see health, especially your party's. Sometimes I don't know if I should use my heal attack with the Jedi Consular because his HP is overlapping with another party member's. Pretty stupid. Also the switching targets by tapping is super sucky, at least on my phone.

-General UI improvements like making it easier to find gear and general mission structure improvements. Maybe they should just find a way to combine the hard and normal missions like Marvel FF did, because my energy is going way too fast.

Other than that it's a neat little phone game. At first there didn't seem like there was much to the battle system at all, and I didn't have too much desire to play. But the deeper I get the deeper it gets. It's no Hearthstone or anything, but I've had a few pretty intense battles that required me to think instead of just attack. Hopefully it keeps getting better.

commish

Lack of pre-reboot characters saddens me.
Revan, Cade, Thrawn...sigh..what could have been.

Lack of Quinlan Vos saddens me too.

Those aren't really "pre-reboot" characters so much as they are EU characters that Disney doesn't want to introduce into standard games. I'm surprised HK is there, tbh. Maybe because he's just a minor character in a game rather than someone with a ton of history attorney to him, e.g., Revan. I'd love to have EU characters though.

f@luS

More than a member.
Well I've got level 60 for 12 characters, 1x7* / 2x6* and many 5/4 stars. Daily going from 40 to 80 in the arena. Almost finished all mission with 3*. Though some of them are a bit bullshit with some annoying AOE nuker (last hard mission dark side , only two stars ). Even more than on dark side I don't have much healers just a 6 stars talia which need to sacrifice her own health to heal other so she end up dying and there goes my third star rating

When is update scheduled to go over 60? I have a lot of items requiring 61+

Blank!

Well I've got level 60 for 12 characters, 1x7* / 2x6* and many 5/4 stars. Daily going from 40 to 80 in the arena. Almost finished all mission with 3*. Though some of them are a bit bullshit with some annoying AOE nuker (last hard mission dark side , only two stars ). Even more than on dark side I don't have much healers just a 6 stars talia which need to sacrifice her own health to heal other so she end up dying and there goes my third star rating

When is update scheduled to go over 60? I have a lot of items requiring 61+

Also hit sixty recently. Not in any real rush to 7* star my guys. Lum and Sidious are close (~25 or so away?) but the power boost isn't all really that impressive for the investment honestly. When you actually do the numbers, it's a small increase in health/damage/special damage and a VERY small increase in crit/armor/resistance. 4-5* seem to be the sweet spot for stars IMO. Rather work on another hero, especially since shards after 7* don't currently do anything at all.

I usually place top 5 to top 20 without having to spend crystals. I do my last 5 of the day in the last hour so I can snipe position. My bracket is kind of easy mode, no one seems to really attempt sniping but a few people.

Haven't tried progressing Darkside past 5th? chapter I think. Too easy to get blown up and not worth wasting energy on when I can farm Light Side missions for the same components. I don't bother farming hard mode at all sans Dooku, gear is a much more important resource and those purple resources are fucking murder on energy.

I'm hoping the cap doesn't get raised for a while. Not looking forward to the gear grind, it's seriously painful already.

It's a shitty and too-easy turn-based RPG but it looks good and it's Star Wars.

Those are the only reasons I installed it. No reason to play it other than to show it off to people on my tablet lol.

Fun for 2 min, that's about it.

commish

It's a shitty and too-easy turn-based RPG but it looks good and it's Star Wars.

Those are the only reasons I installed it. No reason to play it other than to show it off to people on my tablet lol.

Fun for 2 min, that's about it.

Too easy? I can't even beat all the missions, and I have some 7-star characters. Unless you mean the first couple of levels only?

How is Asajj Ventress good? I can't make her work, not even as a team leader.

I'm 65 shards on both Old Daka and Sidious, so I'll be unlocking them tomorrow, or at least Sidious. I'm level 50 and still having trouble in GW.

Yet this is fun as hell.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm still trucking along without spending any money. Still nothing above 3-star. I've been doing the 2 available Dooku levels every day, so hopefully RNG won't kill me and I'll have him unlocked in a few days. My dudes I use are all between 30-40.

I kind of want to do a first order team since I like Phasma, but all I have right now is the 2-star trooper (who is actually pretty good, I like his counter) and the ultra squishy 1-star pilot. I have no dark side tank so using the pilot pretty much guarantees I don't 3-star any dark side levels due to him being the only death by the end.

I've also run into a total cockblock with the PvP. I want hang under 5k to be in that teir of rewards but it always pits me against people with better/higher level parties.

Anyway if anyone wants to send me an ally request (I'm sure it will benefit me more than you) my name in game is the same as gaf.

Blank!

How is Asajj Ventress good? I can't make her work, not even as a team leader.

I'm 65 shards on both Old Daka and Sidious, so I'll be unlocking them tomorrow, or at least Sidious. I'm level 50 and still having trouble in GW.

Yet this is fun as hell.

Asajj is incredibly slow and a tad on the squishy side. She's mostly nightstalker team or bust, and even then, you'll likely better off with Asoka leader too sadly.

Stun on basic attack is good, re-usable AoE on defeat is great for snowballing, and her anti-debuff skill can be incredibly good against the right team comp (Poggle, Leia, Phasma are becoming more common) if not resisted... but so damn slow. PvP teams are generally decided by how quickly you can snowball into a 5v4 and she just doesn't contribute to that.

I find her squishy for PvE as well unfortunately but you can run her/Talia/Nightstalker initiate to pretty good effect.

Galactic War pre-60 needs a lot of healer overlap, so work in your Lum, Jedi Counselor, Talia, and get your Daka. I bought into Barriss and that carries you like you wouldn't believe. Once you hit 60, your goal should be to max Lum's heal ability and JC's heal ability. Lum will get a massive heal + 2 turn heal over time and JC gets like a 2 turn CD heal which is bonkers. I don't even use Barriss anymore, but those upgrades aren't available until the high 50's or 60 (I forget).

Biggest tip for Galactic War: focus fire the FASTEST character on the enemy team and abuse retreating. You can retreat at no penalty to reset any DoT'S/Healing immunity, the only thing to be careful of is characters with greater/fast speed who may get turns ahead of you. Sidious ends up being a huge bitch almost regardless because of this (and how common/easy he is to get).

If you run across a Barriss or Chewie, try to leave them as healthy as possible. Kill everyone else, switch in a "weak" team so you can get cooldowns refreshed and heal up. Again, Lum/Barriss passive can help keep heroes topped off as well as low cooldown JC heal.

Matticers

Do the galactic war chests glitch for anyone else? I'm assuming it's a glitch or else my game is messed up and I'm not getting the points I'm supposed to. But when I open a chest, it'll show that I got 400 war tokens for example. But it only gives me 100 tokens in my total amount. It does that even if I open the chest and it shows 200 or whatever the amount is. It never matches up to what is awarded when the chest is opened. Is this a known bug or am I getting boned?

I need that Luminara in my life ASAP.

Edit: The credits awarded isn't right either. It'll say I earned some ridiculous amount like 125K but it really only gives me like 20K. It's kind of annoying. lol

Moff

Do the galactic war chests glitch for anyone else? I'm assuming it's a glitch or else my game is messed up and I'm not getting the points I'm supposed to. But when I open a chest, it'll show that I got 400 war tokens for example. But it only gives me 100 tokens in my total amount. It does that even if I open the chest and it shows 200 or whatever the amount is. It never matches up to what is awarded when the chest is opened. Is this a known bug or am I getting boned?

Edit: The credits awarded isn't right either. It'll say I earned some ridiculous amount like 125K but it really only gives me like 20K. It's kind of annoying. lol

yeah that is either a glitch or simply and odd decision.
to me it looks like it displays the new total you have.

Aselith

Biggest tip for Galactic War: focus fire the FASTEST character on the enemy team and abuse retreating. You can retreat at no penalty to reset any DoT'S/Healing immunity,

Yoooo, this is some great advice, dude! Don't know why I didn't think of using retreat to keep my teams full but it worked like a charm and I cleared on my first try after taking this advice. Big props!

Blank!

there's a display error where it doubles the reward you actually get. I forget what it is, but I think it's 1200 or 1400 green tokens for GW in a complete run. I know it's enough for 3 purchases can't remember if there's any left over... probably not.

f@luS

More than a member.
i know its nothing to be proud of but im finishing all my galactic wars easily. and sometimes if a fight doesnt go well u can leave the game, close it, come back and its not an auto-lose :eek:

Ahh fantastic, just pulled a 4star Boba out of the bronze pull. Darkside really need a new tank (Royal G is too empire dependants) so he should get a lot of use.

Epcott

Started playing yesterday, at level 19 already. Wouldn't be such a bad game if they didn't try shoving IAPs at you every other moment. Also, the bronzium data card drops are horrendous. I suppose it makes sense, since this game is grind heavy, but still fun.

My code is 143-699-141

Soulez

Neo Member
Started playing the game earlier in the week and am currently lvl 35. It has definitely been an enjoyable experience thus far. If anyone is looking for an Ally here's my code: 765-881-715.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I finally got Sidious from arena shards (didn't know he comes at 4-star, so that's pretty cool) and I'm like 2 days away from Dooku depending on how RNG treats me. Slow progress is finally starting to add up.

Credo

My code is 529-188-549. I just hit level 37. I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep going because I always fall off these games after 3-4 weeks, but I haven't hit that wall quite yet.

Cth

I'm having fun with the TIE pilot partners with Capt Phasma and FO Trooper.

The guy hits for 1500-2500 on avg and gets multiple hits. Add in Adm Ackbar and I get lots of turns. Debating on adding Count Dooku to the mix or going for someone who resurrects.

Anoregon

I like the tie pilot a lot, but since mine is still just 1 star he is soooo squishy that he just dies too easily.

Cth

I like the tie pilot a lot, but since mine is still just 1 star he is soooo squishy that he just dies too easily.
Mine is still one Star.. I've just upgraded his armor and skills. I missed one day in December unfortunately so I'm 3 shards short of two stars.

Anoregon

I just actually got a hero out of a chromium card pull instead of just tokens. 4-star Tarkin. He'll at least be a solid upgrade from my 3-star jawa for my standard arena/cantina team.

Wereroku

I just actually got a hero out of a chromium card pull instead of just tokens. 4-star Tarkin. He'll at least be a solid upgrade from my 3-star jawa for my standard arena/cantina team.

Same I ended up with Boba Fett. I like that the free pulls can get you high level cards as well.

Anoregon

I'm at 45/50 dooku shards and got 0 today. Fucking RNG.

commish

I'm at 45/50 dooku shards and got 0 today. Fucking RNG.

When this happens to me, I want to punch the screen. So annoying. Yesterday I sim'd about 20 cantina fights and got 2 shards. That drop rate is insane.

Blank!

When this happens to me, I want to punch the screen. So annoying. Yesterday I sim'd about 20 cantina fights and got 2 shards. That drop rate is insane.

I got hot or cold but it averages out over time. Same with gear.

Cantina shards is between 25% - 33% of the time for me.

Gear is pretty much the same, maybe slightly lower. I average 4-5 purples per refill. My lowest has been 3, my highest 9 and FWIW, I seem to hit hire than 4-5 more than lower.

All that said, Star rating is pretty overrated. There are so serious diminishing returns for time invested. Going from 6 star to 7 star is worth ~350 points toward your PvP "score" for that character but that really only translates to ~700 HP, maybe 75 more damage, and some beyond trivial increase to crit rating/armor/resistance. Your speed, potency, and tenacity are completely unaffected by star level and governed solely by gear.

The main benefit of star rating is PvP chest thumping. You make yourself look stronger than you probably are... so you make get some people to ignore your team based on that but at the higher ranks, you'll get attacked/smacked around regardless (there's always a bigger fish and at some point, everyone is going to have around the same power level anyway).

I stopped farming Dooku at 5 stars (bought into him). Doesn't seem worth the energy to try and farm 85/100 more shards. My Sidious I haven't bothered 7 starring either. Wish I stopped at 5, maybe 6 for him and Lumi and started on other heroes. That could have been 185 shards for a different hero.

Might just be my server too though, I dunno. I normally rank top 5 every day. Today, I was sniped to 12 and couldn't recover fast enough (didn't manage my time right or spend crystals to secure)... not a huge deal though, it bugged out and triple sent my reward o_O

Aselith

I didn't think Eeth Koth was that good at first but now that he's leveled up that dude is an absolute monster for taking down the high sustained damage PvE stages where motherfuckers are sweeping your group with laser fire or the robots that do like 4000 damage per shot with his defense boost leader ability. Took me from dying on level 1 like a bitch to walking through the whole level like a boss.

Anoregon

Finally got my last 2 Dooku shards today, and promptly got him to gear lvl 4 for that sweet counter attack action.

Also, who do people recommend grabbing from arena shards now that I have Sidious?

Top Bottom