• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes now out on iOS and Android

what do the stars on the characters actually mean? how important is it? more than the level? and what about the gear? is there really no way to see the stats of your characters or did I just not find it?

Stars determine the stat gain when the hero levels up. So for example my 4* hero gains about 5 agility and 3 strength and intelligence whenever he levels while my 1* gets about 1 for each. At low levels this doesn't make much difference but as you can probably guess at lvl 35 the differences between star levels are very pronounced and suddenly you are looking at characters that are triple efficient if they are stared up. So yeah it is worth investing in if you have the chance to. Also, if you increase a characters star level they will get all the stat points retroactively as if they have been at that new level all this time. So you can't permanently nerf a character by leveling them up while they have poor stat gain.

If you want to see the detailed low down of your characters stats you can click on the little button just below the 3D spinning model on their character page.

LaneDS

They're always going to do that kinda stuff in these games. Sky is the limit on how much you can spend. I'm making steady progress without spending too much though. I did take the 4.99 Dooku thing though as I enjoy Count Dooku but other than that haven't spent anything and I still have gotten some good characters.

I guess my surprise stems from playing very few games with this model before. Closest parallel for me would be Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which seemed less offensive with the pricing. Still dig it, despite that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Count Still OP as fuck for people that bought the pack with real money.

I got as high as 51 in the world wide squad ranks. Now I hover around 500 due to Count and how many times his OP Dodge/Counter procs.

Also holy fuck it takes forever to promote someone. I had to farm like a mother fucker just to promote Chewie once.

Also the game is still buggy as fuck.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Can anyone buy the daily crystal pack? It's not offered in my game but I see that it's available when I look at the most bought IAP in itunes. Usually those are the best value IAP in these types of games.

Heysoos

Fuck these nade tossing enemy packed levels. Oh here's 5 enemies, we're going to let them go first, and they're all going to throw out five nades that knock out 2 of your 6.

commish

Fuck these nade tossing enemy packed levels. Oh here's 5 enemies, we're going to let them go first, and they're all going to throw out five nades that knock out 2 of your 6.

That level is bugged. Being fixed next week.

commish

Just an FYI on the Galactic War. Keep in mind you can also force close the app and the current fight won't count. Also, you can retreat at any time, so use a low level team to eat the enemy's specials, retreat, then use your normal team. If you come across a level 55 team, you can still win.

Just an FYI on the Galactic War. Keep in mind you can also force close the app and the current fight won't count. Also, you can retreat at any time, so use a low level team to eat the enemy's specials, retreat, then use your normal team. If you come across a level 55 team, you can still win.

Interesting stuff, I've just unlocked that so I'll probably be using some of those tactics tomorrow. How far can you get before your team eats it? I managed 6 opponents on my first go although just barely. My strong team was wiped by the 6th squad but they reduced them to 1 Dooku which I threw 2 full teams of low level guys at him till he fell at the last possible minute. Star of the show was my Royal Guard, he is only 2* character but even at that he was really tanking the Dooku damage and got the final hit in.

commish

Interesting stuff, I've just unlocked that so I'll probably be using some of those tactics tomorrow. How far can you get before your team eats it? I managed 6 opponents on my first go although just barely. My strong team was wiped by the 6th squad but they reduced them to 1 Dooku which I threw 2 full teams of low level guys at him till he fell at the last possible minute. Star of the show was my Royal Guard, he is only 2* character but even at that he was really tanking the Dooku damage and got the final hit in.

I can clear it. It's really hit or miss though. Sometimes you go up against super strong teams and other times it's against teams in the low 30s. If you use those tips I posted above, it's a lot easier. When I lose some guys, I just restart the entire fight.

Dwayne

Anyone know if there is any late-game limited time deals? I got count dooku, ignored the 3 expensive deals, and am ready to spend $10~ again but prefer to wait for a sale or limited time deal. I'm level 45 now.

commish

I imagine they'll have more as time goes on. I don't think any will be as good as the Dooku pack. Dooku is pretty amazing (and slightly OP at times, if I have to say so).

In other news, the Nightsister Initiate is pretty good. She seems to crit all the time for pretty sweet damage. Recommended.

Moff

good characters for 5 bucks is definitely the way to go for them in my opinion, at least personally i won't buy anything else. dooku was worth it. next should be a good healer.
the one in the girls pack is pretty good, but I wont spend 40 bucks for her.

Listonosh

Would love to get the 4.99 daily crystal thing, but it sucks on iOS. Android users get a lot more for the same price. Why is that?

Listonosh

What do they get?

so on iOS, it's over a 7 day period, you get 125 a day, with 300 on the first day. On Android, I think it's something like 100 over a 21 day period, with 300 bonus on the first day. Android users end up getting a ton more for the same price. I'm not sure why there are two completely different deals like that.

so on iOS, it's over a 7 day period, you get 125 a day, with 300 on the first day. On Android, I think it's something like 100 over a 21 day period, with 300 bonus on the first day. Android users end up getting a ton more for the same price. I'm not sure why there are two completely different deals like that.
Android is 125 a day for 7 days, with 300 on the first day. Just checked. I was going to buy it if it was 21 days.

Finally unlocked Ventress, now to work on Ahsoka. I log in and work on stuff every day but feel no desire whatsoever to spend money on it. I'm not adverse to spending money on F2P games either but their model is way out of wack. The data cards are just a slot machine (if I spend money, I want to know what I'm getting) and the bundle prices are ridiculous. I would have bought the female Jedi bundle when it popped up but it was fucking $50. I'd drop a decent amount of cash into this game if there were any sane options.

Also some of the allies you can use damn near break the game. A Darth Maul that's overleveled for your content can literally solo an entire encounter. I've seen his second ability one-shot entire groups before, it's spectacular.

Listonosh

Android is 125 a day for 7 days, with 300 on the first day. Just checked. I was going to buy it if it was 21 days.

oh whoa, I wonder if they fixed that. I'll have my buddy check tomorrow since he's on Android. If it's been equalized like that I might bite. Felt like it was a ripoff for iOS users.

Dwayne

Would love to get the 4.99 daily crystal thing, but it sucks on iOS. Android users get a lot more for the same price. Why is that?

Where are you guys seeing this? did it unlock at a particular level?

Edit: Ah ok got it all figured out now. Some people see a 21 day booster, some see 7 day, and some people like me don't see either. So they must be A/B testing, and i'm in the control group :(

commish

Edit: Ah ok got it all figured out now. Some people see a 21 day booster, some see 7 day, and some people like me don't see either. So they must be A/B testing, and i'm in the control group :(

Yeah. It's pretty lame. I used to play a different f2p game that would offer the same item to everyone but at a different price. Was terrible to know I was paying twice what someone else was paying.

Didn't catch the name of who this is, but I have to thank whoever has Barriss set as their lightside hero. It was largely due to her that I finally was able to defeat the grenade overload of the final level of chapter 4. Now I just need to do the same on the darkside.

Also some of the allies you can use damn near break the game. A Darth Maul that's overleveled for your content can literally solo an entire encounter. I've seen his second ability one-shot entire groups before, it's spectacular.

Ahh yeah, I can agree to that. His target all attack is more damaging to individual targets then most peoples single target specials. A fun little bonus of it is it does no special effects so all the upgrades for it is just more raw damage.

commish

How do you know which hero you set for your allies to use? I don't even know.

Listonosh

dammit, yeah both of my buddies have the 21 day booster. I mean, I know you have to diligently log on for those days to actually get the crystals, but damn it's like an extra 1000 =/

commish

It's pretty unfair because it gives those people an advantage because they can just level faster than those who don't have the offer. But such is life :)

Experien

Anyone else come across an issue of not being able to select target? I am not talking about a taunt ability like Chewie has but two enemies with no buffs on them and I just can't pick which one to attack.

f@luS

More than a member.
ive managed to go #11 in arena but cant go further without paying for crystals i think

LaneDS

ive managed to go #11 in arena but cant go further without paying for crystals i think

Had you done that without paying at all? Most impressive, if so. I assumed the top slots were going to be 100% dominated by people investing heavily into the game.

f@luS

More than a member.
Had you done that without paying at all? Most impressive, if so. I assumed the top slots were going to be 100% dominated by people investing heavily into the game.
Yeah but I didn't stay long there I'm 27 now. Level 52.

Moff

very impressive, I mean you can only do like 5 matches a day for free, right? reaching 11 with that is impressive. I don't see myself coming over 500 again.

but I lost interest mostly anyway. it's a fun game, but getting new characters is far too hard, it takes too many shards. and even if you got one, you'll need more and more and more shards to make them useful.

f@luS

More than a member.
very impressive, I mean you can only do like 5 matches a day for free, right? reaching 11 with that is impressive. I don't see myself coming over 500 again.

but I lost interest mostly anyway. it's a fun game, but getting new characters is far too hard, it takes too many shards. and even if you got one, you'll need more and more and more shards to make them useful.
I used shard to get mot matches I do 10 per day. And with my rank usually I have 125 shard per day

Dunlop

Enjoying the game but just grinding any character to fill out my dark side roster seems to be a task that will take a month.

I'm all for paying into games that I enjoy but the pricing scheme in this game borders on insane

commish

Enjoying the game but just grinding any character to fill out my dark side roster seems to be a task that will take a month.

I'm all for paying into games that I enjoy but the pricing scheme in this game borders on insane

You just have to accept that it'll take a while to get guys. You have to be in it for the long haul. If you want quick gratification, that's how they get you to pay $$.

Also, PvP is pretty annoying. For one, you can't tell if you win on defense, so who knows how good your defensive team is. Second, it's so much easier to win on offense that it's hard to keep your place unless you move up right before the rankings are reset. Each time I look at my arena score, I have been knocked down a few spots. Annoying.

I've been playing this since past week and I found it pretty nice. But promoting and getting new characters is slow as hell.

Most of the time I just play to get the daily tasks and then grind (using green tickets) for XP and money. I'm halfway to get Asaaj Ventress (About four days to go), Old Daka and Luke Skywalker, although I've already experienced Dookus in PvP...

I love the sound it makes when you turn notifications on and your energy is full!

Aselith

These dudes are out of their fucking minds. $99 for the Force Awakens pack? Lmao

At least we got free characters though

Moff

These dudes are out of their fucking minds. $99 for the Force Awakens pack? Lmao

I came here to post this, holy fucking shit.
I mean free Phasma is great, good on them, but 100 bucks for Kylo Ren and Finn, goddamn EA

I'd say that's even thread worthy

commish

$99 for those 2 characters is probably the worst example of IAP pricing I've ever seen. It's inexplicable.

Iceman829

Just started playing this as the star wars hype got to me. Went around and added the codes I saw listed here.

Mine is 797-149-129

commish

You got Phasma? I only Poe and the generic First Order Stormtrooper.

It depends on if you are on iOS or Android. iOS folks get Poe and FO Storm trooper.

The good news about the $99 bundles is that Kylo and Finn don't see to be meta characters. Good but not great people are saying. I'll stick with my normal team, thank you very much.

Saw this today and almost flipped my lid. I understand that you get $40 worth of crystals on top of it but they really need to rethink this pricing model. They are clearly going off the hype for the new movie to get as much as they can. Good thing that Kylo is farmable, if you have made it that far in the cantina. At least they gave a free Phasma and Resistance trooper (Android).

Game is a lot of fun but the p2w model really needs rethinking. Selling these characters for $5-$10 like they did the dooku pack is really the way to go and I would be more inclined to spend $5 if I feel like I will get enough out of the game. Been doing well just farming characters f2p and have actually made it into top 100 in arena without even really trying too much and using my crystals to refill energy.

Top Bottom