• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Baller said:
It's hyper... meh, nevermind.
Star_Wars_Galaxies_-_Jump_to_Lightspeed_Coverart.png

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yaska said:
In movies they reference it as hyperspace. With the hyperdrive mainly. Also multiple times "Jump to the lightspeed".
There is no "Lightspace" that is true but to say "go lightspeed" is incorrect is ridiculous. ive just done a little checking but there has been zero mention of someone going "hyperspeed" in any of the movies. Hyperspace is what is entered when someone "jumps to lightspeed."

Filth

Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Collector's Edition Pre-Order
Early game access
Color Stone (Virtual Item)
We will keep you informed about early access to The Old Republic as we get closer to the game's release.

I'm not even a huge star wars fan and I can't believe I spent 170 $ on this mmo. hope it's good :/

Jomjom

Banned
Baller said:
It's hyper... meh, nevermind.

Damn, fictional inter-galactical space travel is serious business.

I had no idea my innocent question would raise so much discussion. Let's call a truce yeah?

"Jump to lightspeed into hyperspace"???

So in the end none of that at the launch of the game. I hope they eventually give you the option of flying your ship around and create (rogue?) squadrons and armadas. That would be awesome. Of course still give the option of fast travel if you don't want to fly the ship manually.

I guess I'm more referring to the EU. In the books they always say "make the jump to hyperspace" or "enter/exit real space" or something along those lines. In the SW universe light speed isn't a thing, they travel through hyperspace which is in fact a parallel universe in which ships can zip from one point to the next using pre-routed hyperspace "channels" (sometimes simply referred to as routes). Plotting your own channel is difficult and extremely dangerous, which is why certain worlds are more dangerous to travel to than others (the ancients worlds in the Deep Core, for example).

I guess they did say lightspeed in the movies, but that's the late 70's/early 80's for you. The lore has since corrected itself. :)

Anyway /nerdmode off

Jomjom

Banned
Baller said:
I guess I'm more referring to the EU. In the books they always say "make the jump to hyperspace" or "enter/exit real space" or something along those lines. In the SW universe light speed isn't a thing, they travel through hyperspace which is in fact a parallel universe in which ships can zip from one point to the next using pre-routed hyperspace "channels." Plotting your own channel is difficult and extremely dangerous.

I guess they did say lightspeed in the movies, but that's the late 70's/early 80's for you. The lore has since corrected itself.

:)

Eh for me I guess the movies will always be the "core lore" if you will. Books that piggyback off the movies can't really supplant them as the major canon.

EDIT: Actually just realized that by saying what I just said, I would have to consider 1-3 part of the canon. I'm going to have to rethink this...

I went ahead and bought Deceived. I'm not much of a reader these days but maybe a simple entertaining Star Wars book will get be back into reading more books.

Felix Lighter said:
I went ahead and bought Deceived. I'm not much of a reader these days but maybe a simple entertaining Star Wars book will get be back into reading more books.
Fatal Alliance is pretty good too, although I couldn't help but get the impression that the book only exists to justify the Republic and Empire killing the same raid bosses instead of each other. It works for WoW but I wonder how long BioWare will be able to keep it up in the endgame. I feel like there can only be so many undiscovered catastrophic threats to the galaxy that require the Empire and Republic to put their war on hold.

So anyway... Pazaak. Has there been any word on whether they're going to include it at some point?

Because that would be a killer blow to any competition, and to my penis.

Kettch

Pazaak would be cool, as long as it's a simultaneous play version, so no huge disadvantage for going first like it is in KOTOR.

Baller said:
I guess they did say lightspeed in the movies, but that's the late 70's/early 80's for you. The lore has since corrected itself. :)

They say lightspeed and hyperspace both in the movies but you know you got other issues that popped up throughout the movies like parsecs and stuff.

Vlodril

There is a great thread in the swtor forums, its called cantina entertainment i think. Alot of good ideas there (pazaak, swoop racing, arena's that people can participate and bet on others and other stuff).

Maybe we 'll see some of it implemented in game at the first expansion. One of my biggest disappointments (apart from space combat) is that they haven't implemented some mini games. It would be a great way to pass the time when i am bored to do some questing. Wow had the same problem.

Fonds

Vlodril said:
One of my biggest disappointments (apart from space combat) is that they haven't implemented some mini games. It would be a great way to pass the time when i am bored to do some questing. Wow had the same problem.

Space... combat.

Greatest minigame in an mmo yet imho.

Gvaz

Banned
Billychu said:
The hold cleared and I got my $85 back :) But...
HbXil.png

Still no digital CE. Time to contact support!

I hope someone sees my Origin username and adds me so I can be friends and never talk to them because Origin is dumb lololol
challenge_accepted_Amazing_Feats_Fails_WIns_Lolz_and_A_Contest-s325x265-158648-535.png

Jarmel

Banned
Vlodril said:
There is a great thread in the swtor forums, its called cantina entertainment i think. Alot of good ideas there (pazaak, swoop racing, arena's that people can participate and bet on others and other stuff).

Maybe we 'll see some of it implemented in game at the first expansion. One of my biggest disappointments (apart from space combat) is that they haven't implemented some mini games. It would be a great way to pass the time when i am bored to do some questing. Wow had the same problem.

I'm almost positive that they're going to overhaul the space combat thing and make it a full blown aspect, hopefully similar to Freelance.

Blackface

Banned
Vlodril said:

There are features going into the next beta build that have not been announced. I would not rule out cantina entertainment yet.

They added companion customization b/c play testers wanted it. There were only two things they wanted as much if not more.

A) PVP planets and an open PVP world RVR type enviroment. B) a reason to be in Cantinas, be it games etc.,

Fonds

Blackface said:
There are features going into the next beta build that have not been announced. I would not rule out cantina entertainment yet.

They added companion customization b/c play testers wanted it. There were only two things they wanted as much if not more.

A) PVP planets and an open PVP world RVR type enviroment. B) a reason to be in Cantinas, be it games etc.,

Wasn't there word on one planet being dedicated to PvP this comicon?

Jarmel said:
I'm almost positive that they're going to overhaul the space combat thing and make it a full blown aspect, hopefully similar to Freelance.
It's probably on their "big board of crazy" considering Space PVP is on there as well. Hopefully it'll be in the first expansion because I love me some space.

Vlodril

Man i sure hope so. Both of those would be fantastic and as for the mini games how hard can it be to add them? I hated just sitting outside of the bank in stormwind with nothing to do. Anyway as you say maybe there is hope yet!

Jarmel

Banned
HarryDemeanor said:
It's probably on their "big board of crazy" considering Space PVP is on there as well. Hopefully it'll be in the first expansion because I love me some space.

That's my guess as well. Would be an amazing first expansion and really bring in some hype. The second expansion would of course be swimming.

Fonds said:
Wasn't there word on one planet being dedicated to PvP this comicon?

Blackface said:
yup. But no details on the system in place.

There is a preview detailing SWTOR in the newest German Gamestar magazine that directly quotes a dev talking about special PvP missions on various planets and giving PvP players some kind of frame/system that helps focusing them on devoted missions and zones. Although this is only one (more or less likely) of many interpretations, the author himself seems to expect RvR environments and objectives for open PvP zones and planets in SWTOR.

*edit* To clarify: the article is from the newest issue that was send to subscribers today.

Yaska

sykoex said:
I have to imagine your companions will be your squadmates.
Or just your guildies D:. Teamspeak for coordinating and win. I can already imagine squad-leader issuing commands, and other players flying according the plan to create great space battles.

Yaska said:
Or just your guildies D:. Teamspeak for coordinating and win. I can already imagine squad-leader issuing commands, and other players flying according the plan to create great space battles.

Competition for EVE online? Hmmm...

CzarTim

Kintaco said:
Wow, I got immediate buyers remorse after pre-ordering the CE from Amazon.
I had the exact opposite problem when I skipped over the CE and got the SE. But now I'm cool and will get a VIP area.

CzarTim

Yaska said:
Mumble > Teamspeak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom