• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaska

Snaku said:
Can't decide which gaf guild to join, mainly because I don't know which faction or class I want to play. D:
Join them all. According that QA session, you can have both faction characters on same server, so make many characters and knock yourself out.

CoilShot

Yaska said:
Join them all. According that QA session, you can have both faction characters on same server, so make many characters and knock yourself out.

This is probably what I'm going to do because I still haven't decided between bounty hunter and trooper. One thing is for sure, I'm avoiding jedi for at least a few months because it will be flooded with jedi.

Retrofluxed

Ugh, I've been thinking since E3 that the game was going to launch sometime in late September to early(ish) October. Then I read this just now on Darth Hater:

Stephen Reid said:
(Talking about the September Beta Weekends)
Weekends plural! It isn't just one weekend in September. It will be a program we will continue to roll out. I don't know how many we will do in September, but we certainly plan to continue them past September.

Now, it seems like the game won't launch until October 18th at the earliest. More than likely, sometime in early November.

Shoot me now...

Ulchie

Banned
Keiician said:
From Reid's twitter:
Uh, duh? LOL, sorry. Just seems kinda obvious considering an early access code isn't going to get the disks in our hands earlier for those who bought physical copies.

Ulchie

Banned
Baller said:
FHL.

HarryDemeanor said:
I know this has been posted before but Stephen Reid did a double check on region locking for The Old Republic servers.
7Zlzg.png
That's actually pretty sweet. I know a lot of people have intercontinental friends cause they're from another part of the world, so being able to play even in lag with your friends is nice.

bill0527

I've made my final decision to not roll on a PvP server.

There are major problems inherent in a 2 faction only system that leads to massive imbalances over a long enough period of time. In a few years, when they are starving for revenue, and EA puts the pressure on them, Bioware will most likely open up paid transfers. I have a friend in WoW who quit because the horde outnumbered the alliance on his PvP server something like 5:1, and the game was unplayable for him. When Cata launched, he tried for a week to do the Cataclysm starting quests in Hyjal and Vashjir and was unable to do very much.

Yeah PvP happens on a PvP server, but when its 5-1... that isn't PvP.

Now, If Bioware made it so that characters had to be created on a 1:1 faction basis on a PvP server, have like.. say an 8 toon limit per server, and you can only roll 1 faction per PvP server, then you might be able to get some semblance of balance.

Sophia

Sniper McBlaze said:
What does the "early access mean"? That we'll get to play the retail gam earlier or that we will be able to play the beta?

It means you'll get to play the retail game before others will.

Sniper McBlaze said:
What does the "early access mean"? That we'll get to play the retail gam earlier or that we will be able to play the beta?

You'll be able to download the client and start playing before the actual release date. It's not a beta, you'll be playing the finished retail version.

Keiician said:
If I'm not mistaken it was 6 days for the CE and 3 days for the rest of the versions.
It's actually based on when you enter your pre-order code, not the edition you pre-order. At least I think that's what it is.

CoilShot said:
This is probably what I'm going to do because I still haven't decided between bounty hunter and trooper. One thing is for sure, I'm avoiding jedi for at least a few months because it will be flooded with jedi.

Ditto. Trooper is going be my first class for sure.

Dorrin

I like to play classes with fast travel abilities like ports, and run buffs, am I right in thinking that Inquisitor or Consular would be the way to go?

yankeehater said:
So I pre-ordered yesterday and I registered my code, does anyone have any idea how long of a wait before I get into the beta?

Entering a pre-order code does not give you access to the beta.

You get early access to the release client of the game.

We at this time do not know the release date of the game. Thus there is no definitive time as to when you will get access.

There will, however, be open beta weekends in September. No definitive dates that I know of yet.

CoilShot said:

Half of the games classes are Jedi. The game will permanently be swarming with them.

My personal prediction;

The Legolas/Sepiroth bullshit of the old republic, will be Sith Inquisitor. Simply because, Darth Maul makes teh penis unsoft on lots of nerds. Really annoying.

I believe Double Bladed and Dual Wielding Lightsabers will be the faceroll things. There will probably be fewer single handed saber guys... which is strange because it's the only real OG.

I also believe Bounty Hunter will be immensely popular...

Emitan

Is the Jedi Knight's DPS AC (forget the name) even viable with one saber? Bioware said they changed the game to make it so, but I had the feeling you still needed 2 sabers to be at your best.

Trouble

Banned
Gunmonkey36 said:
There will, however, be open beta weekends in September. No definitive dates that I know of yet.
Another myth that needs to die. They won't be open, they will still be closed betas according to the latest info.

Edit: From Darth Hater

Stephen Reid Pre-Order Questions said:
What advice would you have for fans that are interested in taking part in the recently announced September beta testing weekends?

Weekends plural! It isn't just one weekend in September. It will be a program we will continue to roll out. I don't know how many we will do in September, but we certainly plan to continue them past September. There really isn't any advice, as all you have to do is sign up to be a game tester and you are eligible for them just like you can be selected for the present game testing program. We are going to invite a larger number of people than we ever have before during those weekends, so there is a greater chance we select you. Hopefully this can be something many can enjoy.

Ulchie

Banned
Billychu said:
Is the Jedi Knight's DPS AC (forget the name) even viable with one saber? Bioware said they changed the game to make it so, but I had the feeling you still needed 2 sabers to be at your best.
I would hope that that AC had a single lightsaber talent spec, though I imagine it would be for defensive purposes. You know, add a little defense to an offensive class. It wouldn't make sense any other way, really.

border

"Open" beta means that you can freely speak about the game content and are not under a nondisclosure agreement. It doesn't mean "everyone that signs up will get in!"

Blackface

Banned
Ulchie said:
I would hope that that AC had a single lightsaber talent spec, though I imagine it would be for defensive purposes. You know, add a little defense to an offensive class. It wouldn't make sense any other way, really.

The Jedi Knight has two Advanced Classes.

The Sentinal and the Guardian.

Both the Sentinel, and the Guardian have multiple specs.

Here is a quick example:
rcXZ0.png

The shared tree can either be completely spec'd into a be it's own spec. Or you can use it to supplement another tree to create yet ANOTHER unique spec for your advanced class.

Think of AC's like classes, not tree's in wow.

Just a quick note, Game.co.uk seems to have sold all their collectors editions and removed it from the website, it looks like this really will be a very limited CE.

Sigfodr

Vigilant Walrus said:
Half of the games classes are Jedi. The game will permanently be swarming with them.

My personal prediction;

The Legolas/Sepiroth bullshit of the old republic, will be Sith Inquisitor. Simply because, Darth Maul makes teh penis unsoft on lots of nerds. Really annoying.

I believe Double Bladed and Dual Wielding Lightsabers will be the faceroll things. There will probably be fewer single handed saber guys... which is strange because it's the only real OG.

I also believe Bounty Hunter will be immensely popular...
I hate it, cause while I love the OG aspect of the Luke Skywalker broadsword style, I like what I've read about the Shadow play style. Still rolling Mirialan Smuggler first, but I want my Miralukan Shadow. I'm sure the game will be flooded with BH and Sith, though.

For race/class combos, is it as the same as that chart from that magazine?

Sigfodr said:
I hate it, cause while I love the OG aspect of the Luke Skywalker broadsword style, I like what I've read about the Shadow play style. Still rolling Mirialan Smuggler first, but I want my Miralukan Shadow. I'm sure the game will be flooded with BH and Sith, though.

For race/class combos, is it as the same as that chart from that magazine?

I think im gonna go bounty hunter first just to be different, I was a BH on galaxies and loved it.

Also on the subject of galaxies i've recently been playing again on http://www.swgemu.com/

The server crashes now and then and not everything is implemented but its good for a laugh and its all free so you cant go wrong really.

Open betas never are about letting everyone in, you always still have to do something to get a position in open betas. Only free to play games generally have completely open betas anyone can get into.

NDA in open betas are pointless, they generally can't stop the flow of info to come out of large scale betas

vyperzero

Neo Member
Those of you playing KOTOR on win 7 64 bit machines need but only to search the googles for a patch to prevent your graphics crashes. i believe it has to do with the resolution you run the game in and what the game engine supports as resolution for the cut scenes.

i fixed mine with a simple edit to a file in the KOTOR install directory. feel free to PM me and ill see if i can be of more assistance.

i was able to find a search result on google that seems to be what i did to fix mine, however the safety of said site would be dubious and i dont want to link to something potentially harmful.

back to surfing more SWTOR content and hitting F5 on this thread :D

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Blackface said:
The Jedi Knight has two Advanced Classes.

The Sentinal and the Guardian.

Both the Sentinel, and the Guardian have multiple specs.

Here is a quick example:
rcXZ0.png

The shared tree can either be completely spec'd into a be it's own spec. Or you can use it to supplement another tree to create yet ANOTHER unique spec for your advanced class.

Think of AC's like classes, not tree's in wow.

Can do that for every class? I'm having a hard time looking at what is tank/dps/heal between the class builds. Any online resource for this besides the official site?

Emitan

Buying a new keyboard for this. Mine is shit. Any recommendations? I hear mechanical keyboards are really nice but they're pricey.

Giolon

Billychu said:
Buying a new keyboard for this. Mine is shit. Any recommendations? I hear mechanical keyboards are really nice but they're pricey.

http://www.razerzone.com/swtor/keyboard XD

Seriously though, I have the Logitech G110 Keyboard, and I love it. In terms of mechanical keyboards, I've tried out the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate at a friends and it's awesome. If you aren't use to the loud click-clack of mechanical keyboards though the sound might drive you nuts.

Giolon said:

Seriously though, I have the Logitech G110 Keyboard, and I love it. In terms of mechanical keyboards, I've tried out the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate at a friends and it's awesome. If you aren't use to the loud click-clack of mechanical keyboards though the sound might drive you nuts.

That keyboard is so sexy and so expensive. I know I will probably buy it lol

Moaradin

It's not a keyboard, but the Razer Naga will be great for this game. I bought one a couple months ago for SWTOR but I've been using it for everything else and it comes to good use.

Darklord

Banned
Giolon said:

It looks nice but has those flat, laptop like keys. I hate those so much.

Billychu said:
EDIT: Of course as I post that I'm already late to it. =(

I'll probably be looking for a new mouse to replace my current Razer Imperator. The left mouse button is giving me problems.

Emitan

I really want the SWTOR one but I don't want to pay over $100 for a keyboard. That's crazy. I'll probably go with the Logitech G110.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom