• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

Nah. My MX 518 is fine and the SWTOR keyboard is too expensive considering I don't need half the stuff on it. Would I love having a trackpad with it's own row of hotkeys? Absolutely. But do I really need that at all? No way.

Fonds

I'm still loving every single bit of my G9 Logitech mouse. That thing has everything I ever needed.

Billychu said:
Buying a new keyboard for this. Mine is shit. Any recommendations? I hear mechanical keyboards are really nice but they're pricey.

Logitech G110 this seems to be a pretty nice keyboard to play MMO's on. The hotkeys close to the WASD seem to be a nice addition for most.

Emitan

Fonds said:
Logitech G110 this seems to be a pretty nice keyboard to play MMO's on. The hotkeys close to the WASD seem to be a nice addition for most.
Newegg is giving out Star Trek Online with those for free. Which would be awesome if I hadn't bought the game yesterday!

I really hope end-game isn't nearly as "grindy" as it is in WoW. Part of the reason I am still picking this up is that I can off-load a lot of my more tedious tasks (aka mining-esque stuff) to my minions while I am at work each day, come home, and do a few group missions. However, I would still like to experience end-game content on my compressed schedule.

I'll see what happens as we get closer to launch. I'm thinking perhaps we have a few different raid groups with different schedules depending on people's work schedules. It would be nice if we could get out vent/mumble going and start discussing how we are going to run the guild.

The_Inquisitor said:
I really hope end-game isn't nearly as "grindy" as it is in WoW. Part of the reason I am still picking this up is that I can off-load a lot of my more tedious tasks (aka mining-esque stuff) to my minions while I am at work each day, come home, and do a few group missions. However, I would still like to experience end-game content on my compressed schedule.

I'll see what happens as we get closer to launch. I'm thinking perhaps we have a few different raid groups with different schedules depending on people's work schedules. It would be nice if we could get out vent/mumble going and start discussing how we are going to run the guild.

End games are always grindy. Players have nothing to do but repeat the content till new endgame material is introduced.

Fonds

People are starting to show interest in our guild it seems.

Some dude from an international guild group called Dark Jedi wants to merge our guild with their guild Army of Light.

I think I spoke for for all of us when I kindly declined his request.

On the note of our guild, I'd like to ask all that signed up to post on the guildpage what your username is on NeoGAF.
It's nice to get an overview of who's actually who in our guild :)

Fonds said:
I have a G110 and it is awesome to have all that stuff close to WASD.

That's my main problem with these specialized keyboards. Why the fuck is all the special shit on the right? What kind of dumbass still plays PC games (and especially MMO's) with the arrow keys? I know some of these keyboards can have their stuff switched to the left, but you shouldn't have to switch it, that should be how it's made -- and marketed. Just showing me pictures of that bullshit on the right side of the keyboard makes me not want to buy it. It sends a message that whoever designed it doesn't have a fucking clue.

*ahem* anyway, get the G110. Best bang for the buck.

Fonds

Baller said:
Just showing me pictures of that bullshit on the right side of the keyboard makes me not want to buy it. It sends a message that whoever designed it doesn't have a fucking clue.

so much truth

CzarTim

The_Inquisitor said:
Also good to see that Republic GAF is up to 59 members. Let's make it 60!
qWP9Fl.jpg

Woosh.

NeededSleep

Baller said:
I have a G110 and it is awesome to have all that stuff close to WASD.

*ahem* anyway, get the G110. Best bang for the buck.

I got the G110 on sale about 6 months ago, honestly i really dont like it. Its hard for me to explain. I guess the best way to say it is the keys themselves feel really close together than im use to.

Rflagg

Billychu said:
Nah. My MX 518 is fine and the SWTOR keyboard is too expensive considering I don't need half the stuff on it. Would I love having a trackpad with it's own row of hotkeys? Absolutely. But do I really need that at all? No way.

Billychu said:
I really want the SWTOR one but I don't want to pay over $100 for a keyboard. That's crazy. I'll probably go with the Logitech G110.
These are likely what I will roll with as well. :)

Baller said:
I have a G110 and it is awesome to have all that stuff close to WASD. *ahem* anyway, get the G110. Best bang for the buck.
Pretty much seals it.

Rapture

I'm actually leading a small guild comprised of my close friends but rest assured that if i could apply for the gaf guild too right now i would! sadly, ill just have to wait until launch when i can make a secondary character to join up.

Sigfodr

Rapture said:
I'm actually leading a small guild comprised of my close friends but rest assured that if i could apply for the gaf guild too right now i would! sadly, ill just have to wait until launch when i can make a secondary character to join up.
I ended up leaving the GAF guild for that reason. I realized I'm getting about ten or so people into this game, and they are in turn getting their friends and family into it. Not to mention customers I talk to at work. Basically, when I just mentioned the idea of starting a guild for all of us, everyone got excited. One girl even said "Finally!" Never started a guild before, so this could be exciting. I've spent two days debating names.

Edit: Do we know who Ali Hillis is voicing? If it's a PC, that will determine my gender choice.

CzarTim

"Something that people are concerned about is when they redeem their code, and if it will affect their Early Game Access. The truth is that right now -- even though we had a lot of codes redeemed -- we're not even at a point yet where people wouldn't be more than a day one or day two. It really is not that bad. The incentive for us to get people to redeem their codes is obviously so we can keep track of how many people are getting ready for pre-order. But at the same time, we're trying to prevent a situation where people pre-order and they actually redeem their code months later, and at that point they would be at the back of the line. That is the reason why we are pushing people to redeem their codes, but there really isn't any reason to panic."

http://darthhater.com/2011/07/24/sdcc-2011-stephen-reid-answers-pre-order-questions/

Emitan

For some reason I was thinking "Oh no! I redeemed my code a whole hour after they were being given out! What if I only get 5 minutes of early access?" Hype totally renewed.

Emitan

Is there anywhere I can go to get a primer on MMO jargon? I know what stuff like tanking, CC, HOT, etc are but I have no idea what stuff like wellfare epics are.

HarryDemeanor said:
What's with all these people joining the Republic scum?

Join the GAF Empire today and stomp the Republic into the ground!

What you mean to say is "Join today and stomp the Republic into the ground in the unlikely event they flag themselves for pvp"

Gvaz

Banned
Billychu said:
Is there anywhere I can go to get a primer on MMO jargon? I know what stuff like tanking, CC, HOT, etc are but I have no idea what stuff like wellfare epics are.
Welfare epics are "free purples" in that you barely have to do anything to get geared.

Neverfade

Billychu said:

welfare epics = epic quality gear gotten by methods deemed 'easy' by hardcore players. The main offenders in WOW were the PVP pieces. Some of them were pretty insane, and you could get the points for them relatively quickly when compared to constructing a raid, hoping something drops for you, and then winning that piece.

Edit: this is a good start: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001313.php

Giolon

Billychu said:

I miss the days before I knew what things like welfare epics, OP, pwned, and QQ were. :( I feel like this knowledge makes you a worse person.

Ferny

The GAF Empire is just getting stronger and stronger. 51 members strong and getting even larger. Watch out Republic because we are coming for you!

Emitan

I wish this thread was super active (not that I'm surprised it's not) because to spend time I got to the official forums and I find posts like this.
smh

Giolon

Billychu said:
I wish this thread was super active (not that I'm surprised it's not) because to spend time I got to the official forums and I find posts like this.
smh

MMO official forums are always shitholes. Always. No exceptions.

Do yourself a favor and just never go there. Ever. (Maybe just to read the Dev Tracker)

Emitan

Giolon said:
MMO official forums are always shitholes. Always. No exceptions.

Do yourself a favor and just never go there. Ever. (Maybe just to read the Dev Tracker)
I do it because I just want to read and talk about this game and there isn't really anywhere to do it. I'll be abandoning those forums as soon as we all get into the September weekend beta and can actually talk about the damn game.

Inferno313 said:
So true :(

Weenerz

Banned
Inferno313 said:
Just applied for the GAF Empire guild! Gonna be a Bounty hunter!

I did as well, Sith Warrior. Whoever is in charge of the GAF guild, if you are inviting us, let me know who you are so I can PM my name instead of saying it out in public :p

Billychu said:
Because they can.

Thanks for the insightful answer.

Well, after being in the latest game testing focus group, I think I might have to pass for now. Which is a shame, since I quite enjoyed my time with it. But paying £40 for a game that's monthly, I'm good. Even if it is Star Wars.

NeededSleep

Billychu said:
Well, it's true. Publishers have realized that yes, PC gamers will pay the console premium for games.

unfortunately im going to start expecting this from big name publishers. Activision and EA.

:(

Billychu said:
Well, it's true. Publishers have realized that yes, PC gamers will pay the console premium for games.

I know it's true, it's the way gaming has become now, I get that. But I was hoping to hear that there's some kind of concrete reasoning behind it, more than just "they can do it...just cus..."

But eh, who am I kidding? They'll do it because enough people will bend over for it, as crude as it sounds.

I really do want to own the game of course, I love Star Wars and I enjoyed what I played (mostly anyways hehe), but I just can't support it. :/

NeededSleep

The English Conquistador said:
I know it's true, it's the way gaming has become now, I get that. But I was hoping to hear that there's some kind of concrete reasoning behind it, more than just "they can do it...just cus..."

But eh, who am I kidding? They'll do it because enough people will bend over for it, as crude as it sounds.

I really do want to own the game of course, I love Star Wars and I enjoyed what I played (mostly anyways hehe), but I just can't support it. :/

I totally understand where you are coming from. i wish i could say "wait for a steam sale or discount!" but i don't think they are gonna put this on steam because they are pushing origin :(

NeededSleep said:
I totally understand where you are coming from. i wish i could say "wait for a steam sale or discount!" but i don't think they are gonna put this on steam because they are pushing origin :(

Aha, yeah I understand. Ah well, I know at some point I'll break and most likely buy it. But for now, I think I'll hold off. Hope ya guys enjoy it though. :)

spats

CzarTim said:
When a game cost 1.2 billion dollars to make, you charge as much as you can.

*troll face*

Actually more recent reports have the price at 7.4 trillion which Riccitiello paid out of his own pocket.

Price jokes aside I think EA is a bit crazy for pursuing the MMO market so aggressively but without having tried out SWTOR it definitely looks interesting. Haven't played MMO's since quitting WoW but I'm ready to try out this one. Have tried getting into the beta a half dozen times but with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom