• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaddenNFL64

Just my luck, new page.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29572434&postcount=8100

go there.

sample:

star-wars-the-old-repuf7b5.jpg

Darklord

Banned
I didn't realize but they have included an entire end-game planet for solo players. That's pretty damn awesome because I never cared for end game raids in WoW.

French said:
Yeah that looks good, I like the characters ( which make the lack of races even more disappointing ).

There are a decent number of races I'm just sad they are all human-like. SWG had Wookies, Trandoshans, Rodian. Eould have been cool to see droids playable too but I guess with the story they were forced to keep them all human like in some way.

Those screens are impressive. I just can't believe there have been previewers complaining about the visuals. It looks very good for a MMORPG and even better considering the low system requirements.

MaddenNFL64

On species, I have seen very detailed, nice looking Togruta's (one is a companion), Cathar, Nautolan, that would work very well as player characters.

We shall see if they get implemented, but I think the chance is high. Probably not at launch i'm guessing.

It's just they look so good as just npc's, how could it not work?

Darklord said:
I didn't realize but they have included an entire end-game planet for solo players. That's pretty damn awesome because I never cared for end game raids in WoW.

I wonder if it will consist of group / solo boss runs!?

Maybe it will work, like doing a "Diablo run" back in the day?

people be occupied with 1 man raids... I mean, repeat them many times?

gillty

Banned
Dinosaur Tamer said:
Those screens are impressive. I just can't believe there have been previewers complaining about the visuals. It looks very good for a MMORPG and even better considering the low system requirements.
I think it looks superb in stills, but in motion the animation really does the rest of the visuals a disservice. Especially the light sabre battles, but that is to be expected with a game like this.

Tucah

you speak so well
Dinosaur Tamer said:

From what I've seen this game is the opposite of most others - looks great in screens but worse in motion.

MaddenNFL64 said:
On species, I have seen very detailed, nice looking Togruta's (one is a companion), Cathar, Nautolan, that would work very well as player characters.

We shall see if they get implemented, but I think the chance is high. Probably not at launch i'm guessing.

It's just they look so good as just npc's, how could it not work?

Yeah, everyone and their mother wanna play as Kit Fisto!

Ulchie

Banned
Darklord said:

There are a decent number of races I'm just sad they are all human-like. SWG had Wookies, Trandoshans, Rodian. Eould have been cool to see droids playable too but I guess with the story they were forced to keep them all human like in some way.
You kidding me? I'd be forced to kill all the people IRL who choose Wookies after hearing them grunt for the billionth time during conversations. This is an all spoken dialogue game.

Valru said:
I think it looks superb in stills, but in motion the animation really does the rest of the visuals a disservice. Especially the light sabre battles, but that is to be expected with a game like this.

See this PvP Video. I think they buffed the animations a lot. It looks A LOT better with lightsaber battles now... it might be because these beta testers actually now how to play, as opposed to those journalists at conventions; http://betacake.blogspot.com/2011/07/star-wars-old-republic-coruscant-pvp.html

Emitan

Sigfodr said:
Yeah, I was concerned, too. We've both been with the company the same amount of time, in the same position, then he got promoted over me. I'd never met him before, so I was concerned about his attitude towards me.

Is this Smuggler gameplay? I guess I missed when the "energy" meter changed.
Can't wait for Scrapper footage someday... :(

Measley

Man, this looks like its going to be an amazing experience. I always dreamed of a multiplayer KotoR, and it looks like this game will deliver.

Chriswok said:
:\ It looks as hectic and as unhinged as I thought it would. Basically like Jedi Academy, only not as good.

Jedi Academy is amazing, but I think this looks pretty good.

My concern is more that it'øs only 8 vs 8, which is pathethically low. That's not a "Warzone"... But I guess they had their reasons.

I wonder when we will get some crazy Geonosis type battles - 200 vs 200!

Vigilant Walrus said:

My concern is more that it'øs only 8 vs 8, which is pathethically low. That's not a "Warzone"... But I guess they had their reasons.

What I meant by the Jedi Academy battles is that the lightsabers felt like they had some weight behind them. The deflect and connect nicely. These clips just have paper swords flying about.

Vigilant Walrus said:

They are still deciding on team sizes for warzones and beta may still use smaller team sizes because of the low server population.

Personally I absolutely hated the big battlegrounds in Wold of Warcraft and enjoyed the 10 vs 10 ones the most. I would be satisfied with 8 vs 8 warzones. There is always open PvP for those huge numbers.

Valru said:

The gamplay videos that came out of E3 look fantastic in motion, it's the preview videos and "trailers" that come off very awkward looking. The actual game animations have really improved. But of course with MMO's theres always a bit of disconnect because of stuff like special animations/abilities.

Dinosaur Tamer said:
They are still deciding on team sizes for warzones and beta may still use smaller team sizes because of the low server population.

Personally I absolutely hated the big battlegrounds in Wold of Warcraft and enjoyed the 10 vs 10 ones the most. I would be satisfied with 8 vs 8 warzones. There is always open PvP for those huge numbers.

I loved the larger scale stuff, and especially for Star Wars I want some epic large scale battles. Really just hope they give options for warzone sizes. Have small warzones, but one or two large scale ones would be awesome.

LowParry

Since there is a PvP planet, I'm wondering if they'll treat it as a RvR zoned area. Large scale battles could go on there all day.

Ulchie

Banned
Tik-Tok said:
Anyone here order from Gamestop in canada?
If so approx. How long til you got your early access code?
I did but I'm cancelling it and just pre-ordering Skyrim because I phoned one Gamestop and they said that there is no guarantee that we are getting codes cause they blew through their early access codes with the CE. I ended up just getting it via Amazon.com.

Darklord

Banned
Ulchie said:
You kidding me? I'd be forced to kill all the people IRL who choose Wookies after hearing them grunt for the billionth time during conversations. This is an all spoken dialogue game.

There are still alien languages you know.

Darklord said:

For a fully voiced game, it would be difficult to the more exotic aliens, and of course I'm sure as been said before they have concerns about the whole romantic portions of the game. They put in twiliks, they could also put in other more exotic species that have human like bodies like nautolans and such in future expansions. The game subtitles the alien speech, but with how much they focus on voice acting, they obviously wanted the characters speeking basic/english.

Interfectum said:
I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!

I HATE YOU!!!

Emitan

Just checked and I didn't even realize Twi'lek spoke another language besides Basic. I doubt we're going to hear languages other than Huttesse and stuff like Wookie growls. That's how KOTOR did it.

Billychu said:
Just checked and I didn't even realize Twi'lek spoke another language besides Basic. I doubt we're going to hear languages other than Huttesse and stuff like Wookie growls. That's how KOTOR did it.

They could have all of them but Wookies speaking basic in the game if they wanted, and they will with many npc's, but it's obvious they largely went with humanoids and near humans for ease of cutscene direction and character customization options.

Ulchie

Banned
Darklord said:
I know, but Wookies are particularly annoying. I'm okay with others, but after replaying KOTOR 6 times, I've had enough of the same 3 groans for a lifetime. This is an MMO, not a 30 hour game like KOTOR. Many people would get sick of an alien language from their NPC. Twi'lek's aren't bad, at least it sounds like a language.

Emitan

I just ordered that Logitech desk mic I posted about earlier. I hope it's better than the headset I have because my headset is annoying and makes my ears really sweaty.

Dakota47

Nice to see some official new screenshots. I really dig the art style. It reminds me of the 1970s / 1980s action figures.

Rflagg

Billychu said:
I just ordered that Logitech desk mic I posted about earlier. I hope it's better than the headset I have because my headset is annoying and makes my ears really sweaty.
If you don't mind posting impressions after you get a feel for it that would be awesome.

Chriswok said:
What I meant by the Jedi Academy battles is that the lightsabers felt like they had some weight behind them. The deflect and connect nicely. These clips just have paper swords flying about.

I think it looks pretty good in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RTebtdogw

He even deflects attacks from behind with the lightsaber in his left hand at some point. Looks amazing.

Oh, and there's some force choke in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom