• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
jling84 said:
That movie had such memorable lines though... just not for the right reasons.
"What?" "I don't understand"
OMG. Hayden Christensen act's like he is stoned... though should i blame Lucas for not being a good director?

"Just no for the right reasons" indeed...

I can't wait for TOR anymore... i can't focus on Halo Reach, i can't focus on EVE (5 free days!) or anything else. I need my Star Wars fix right now!

Dakota47

Woorloog said:
I can't wait for TOR anymore... i can't focus on Halo Reach, i can't focus on EVE (5 free days!) or anything else. I need my Star Wars fix right now!

I too suffer from the hype at the moment and I don't exactly know why. I am not a big fan of Bioware games and up until a month or two ago this game didn't appeal to me at all, but yet since then it somehow clicked. I even pre-ordered the DDE without even knowing a firm release date. I never did that before. It must be residual Star Wars fanboyism from early 1980s.

Interfectum

have they ever talked about the engine TOR uses? I'm curious how easily it can be upgraded for the future (graphics, gameplay, etc).

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Interfectum said:
have they ever talked about the engine TOR uses? I'm curious how easily it can be upgraded for the future (graphics, gameplay, etc).

It's using the HeroEngine (but BioWare has heavily modified it to the point that it no longer resembles the HeroEngine, I believe).

Here is the website for the HeroEngine:

http://www.heroengine.com/

Shrennin

Rflagg said:
Article is silly Everquest has been going for going for 12 years, so why would it be that hard to see this last 14.

Why haven't you heard? The only MMO in existence is WoW. Once an MMO beats WoW, it becomes the MMO. Before WoW there was Everquest. There can be only one.

Interfectum said:
Wow I remember reading about the hero engine years ago. Had no idea (or had forgotten) TOR was using it.

Yeah, the website has also changed significantly since I last visited the site (which was probably before we had any significant information on TOR so quite a while back).

I think BioWare may have had some issues with it so that's why it's heavily modified now.

Morn

Banned
Shrinnan said:
Why haven't you heard? The only MMO in existence is WoW. Once an MMO beats WoW, it becomes the MMO. Before WoW there was Everquest. There can be only one.

Yeah, the website has also changed significantly since I last visited the site (which was probably before we had any significant information on TOR so quite a while back).

I think BioWare may have had some issues with it so that's why it's heavily modified now.

The website changed because originally the Hero Engine was going to be used for some fantasy MMO made by the company who created it.

Interfectum

They didn't spend much time on the new site (for Hero Engine), it's just wordpress with a barely modified Arras theme installed.

Anyway, I remember looking forward to that Heroes Journey game coming out. Now it's just freeware included with every hero engine purchase. haha

markatisu

Rflagg said:
Article is silly Everquest has been going for going for 12 years, so why would it be that hard to see this last 14.

Edit:Thanks Billy looking forward to your impression of the mic. :)

Exactly, City of Heroes and WoW has been going for what 7 years now. Everquest passed 10 and is still going.

Its not like its a ridiculous notion that SWTOR could go for 14-16 years, especially since they can constantly upgrade the interface and game itself via expansions and online updates.

Shrennin

Morn said:
The website changed because originally the Hero Engine was going to be used for some fantasy MMO made by the company who created it.

Ahh, that's why. I was kinda looking forward to seeing more about that game.

The site "upgrade" made me think the company that made the engine got bought out or something. I preferred the old site, honestly (although the old site did have a certain focus on the fantasy MMO that was being made).

Tworak said:
ah so that's why the character models look so fucking shite.

Are you serious? Because, I really can't tell.

Just compare this image from one or two pages ago to the current genre standard ...
star-wars-the-old-repuk787.jpg

Some of these character shots look absolutely amazing compared to World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online or Warhammer Online.

Gvaz

Banned
Artistically the game looks good, but graphically TOR looks like ass. I hope those are less than max settings :S

rakhir

I never liked the style of TOR, and probably never will. It's just too Clone Wars-y for me, to plasticy. I would love it if they would stay with the kotor look.
Graphically it ofc looks better then WoW, but not better enough for a game launching seven years after it...

I'll still play it though, regardless of how it looks.

rakhir said:
I never liked the style of TOR, and probably never will. It's just too Clone Wars-y for me, to plasticy. I would love it if they would stay with the kotor look.
Graphically it ofc looks better then WoW, but not better enough for a game launching seven years after it...

I'll still play it though, regardless of how it looks.

kotor2.jpg

bloodforge said:
The style they're using is going to age a hell of a lot better than a more realistic one.

This. Look at a game like EQ2 now. They went with "realism" and it has gotten them nowhere as far as how the game has aged graphically. It looks terrible.

Won

Dinosaur Tamer said:
Some of these character shots look absolutely amazing compared to World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online or Warhammer Online.

*Looks through old screenshots from WoW and WAR*

Hell no!

Won said:
*Looks through old screenshots from WoW and WAR*

Hell no!

I played World of Warcraft from Beta till early Cataclysm, spend half a year in the Warhammer Online Beta and already played SWTOR and I cannot really understand how you could say that. Especially talking about "old" Screenshots of both games.

Here are some (late) classic/vanilla shots: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/media/s...f-the-day/classic?keywords=&view#/classic-ss6

Now remember we were talking about models. Not armor design, level of customization or something else. Perhaps evaluation of artistic style is subjective - I love both - but I cannot see how you could consider World of Warcraft's models graphically superior.

Tworak said:
oh. right.

carry on!

No offense, but why do you respond with sarcasm instead of actually contributing to the discussion? If you disagree and think the models look like "shite" - which is not exactly constructive criticism to begin with - why don't you elaborate on that? I would love to hear what you think is bad about them. Are you comparing them to single player titles rather than genre competition?

hgplayer1

bloodforge said:
The style they're using is going to age a hell of a lot better than a more realistic one.

Guess we wont know how true this is for years to come but another good example is FFXI. I still love the way it looks.

madara

Aye FFXI still looks great on pc with some editing to up the rez. EQ2 always looked like shiny dog crap. I can only hope those EQ next hand drawn looking screens that match the amazing concept art as possible sign of change back to roots of better art design.

Morn

Banned
madara said:
Aye FFXI still looks great on pc with some editing to up the rez. EQ2 always looked like shiny dog crap. I can only hope those EQ next hand drawn looking screens that match the amazing concept art as possible sign of change back to roots of better art design.

This is EQ Next:
f2c45c5a0ceqnext.jpg.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Dinosaur Tamer said:
Are you serious? Because, I really can't tell.

Just compare this image from one or two pages ago to the current genre standard ...
star-wars-the-old-repuk787.jpg

Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Also not a fan of the facial models.

Jarmel

Banned
So went to betacake, holy jesus. The galaxy map is some of the best artwork they've done period. Totally destroys the Mass Effecy galaxy map.

Tworak

Dinosaur Tamer said:
No offense, but why do you respond with sarcasm instead of actually contributing to the discussion? If you disagree and think the models look like "shite" - which is not exactly constructive criticism to begin with - why don't you elaborate on that? I would love to hear what you think is bad about them. Are you comparing them to single player titles rather than genre competition?
it's cool, and I'm not here to give constructive criticism nor discuss this obvious soon-to-be-nothing-but-fanboy-drivel further. I do not like the character models, especially the faces. end of.

thank you.

LowParry

Tworak said:
it's cool, and I'm not here to give constructive criticism nor discuss this obvious soon-to-be-nothing-but-fanboy-drivel further. I do not like the character models, especially the faces. end of.

thank you.

Can you provide a better example? Just curious.

You really need to calm down. There is no need to get personal. I was asking you a question out of genuine curiosity.

Let's just leave it at that. I think it is pretty clear he does not want to take part in the discussion so let's just carry on.

Gvaz

Banned
piratepwnsninja said:
Yeah and? Graphics does not equal art style. Art style does not equal graphics.

Can an art style have good graphics? Sure, it can have bad ones too.

That being said the art style for KOTOR is a little better than what I've seen, though graphically it's better.

Regardless, I'd like an MMO to visually tax my system if I choose to crank it, especially since this seems more solo based than multiplayer based.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom