• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I have no idea what my class schedule will be so I have no comment on that schedule but if we go with that I like that it leaves weekend nights free.

Ulchie

Banned
What I'm particularly afraid of is that there will be twists and such in the story that will get spoiled. I almost want to turn chat off and just play my game. Hope they give us that option.

Giolon

Blackface said:
You will be able to control them and setup ai/tactics like dragon age. As well as customize their appearance.

I'm in the beta. My post was in response to the person complaining that they're just fancy pets.

MaddenNFL64

Alright, back to beta leaks from the last build.

Sith Assassin abilities, stats, talent trees with pictures. Whee!

untitled-1rqwr.jpg

untitled-24qc9.jpg

untitled-33qs8.jpg

More abilities

untitled-6zp4r.jpg

Another tooltip, Yet another

untitled-23tr55.jpg

Crew sells your trash

fake edit: some new videos up on cake. short, spoilers ahoy, and a pureblood as an inquisitor (which was confirmed at comic-con as not happening, at least not without the alleged "legacy system" race/class unlocks).

Fonds

On the topic of names.

I saw a video where an apostrophy was used in the name. Like twi'lek.
So it is possible to use that if you wanna go all-out on your name.

Fonds said:
On the topic of names.

I saw a video where an apostrophy was used in the name. Like twi'lek.
So it is possible to use that if you wanna go all-out on your name.

Heh, cool. Think I'm going to go with a Twi'lek Jedi Consular for my first character.

madara

Gosh I better start researching hardcore but I guess that could be fruitless until NDA is lifted. At this point I fear I am going be one of those that just tries every class for abit the first few months and does not get one too far. That rarely happens with me usually one or two really stick out.

Ulchie

Banned
madara said:
Gosh I better start researching hardcore but I guess that could be fruitless until NDA is lifted. At this point I fear I am going be one of those that just tries every class for abit the first few months and does not get one too far. That rarely happens with me usually one or two really stick out.
No point in researching till beta cause so much can change anyways. I don't really see the point in doing too much research. I kinda prefer a more organic experience.

DodgerSan

Hey UK folk,

If you pre-ordered from Game, they are now sending out the registration codes, a couple of days ahead of when they said, but 6 days behind everyone else.

Fonds

Billychu said:
That's cool about names but I'm probably just going to have my main named Billychu for convenience.

Yeah same. It'll be a mess whispering people that have ' in their names.

DodgerSan said:
Hey UK folk,

If you pre-ordered from Game, they are now sending out the registration codes, a couple of days ahead of when they said, but 6 days behind everyone else.

Yeah I went into a store in London yesterday and got a code from them as they had the boxes sitting there, website failed hard on this in my opinion.

Darklord

Banned
With the early access code, how does that work? Do you have to download the full game off origin? Or just get into the final beta? I'm just wondering because Aussies can't even pre-order or download on origin so I don't know if the bonus will even work.

MadraptorMan said:
No worries--you can jump!

Can't swim though!

Darklord said:
With the early access code, how does that work? Do you have to download the full game off origin? Or just get into the final beta? I'm just wondering because Aussies can't even pre-order or download on origin so I don't know if the bonus will even work.

Can't swim though!

You'll be able to download it when your early access starts, then when you get your retail copy you use the code inside so you can keep playing.

Billychu said:
I'll laugh when they put in Nautolans before swimming.

I could care less, hate swimming in MMO's. Pointless, and so stupid looking. Fuck you fish, I'm wearing full plate and swinging a warhammer in this ocean and then I'm going to touch that shiny thing on the bottom for my quest completion.

Darklord

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
You'll be able to download it when your early access starts, then when you get your retail copy you use the code inside so you can keep playing.

Ah...damn. I probably can't get early access then because origin region locks me. I guess I could try and find a torrent or something for the file, then put my code in and use it normally. Although, I hope they'll just let people with a code download it no matter where they are located.

imoTEP12

BattleMonkey said:
I could care less, hate swimming in MMO's. Pointless, and so stupid looking. Fuck you fish, I'm wearing full plate and swinging a warhammer in this ocean and then I'm going to touch that shiny thing on the bottom for my quest completion.

Yeah I hated vash'ir (or however you spell it) in WOW, such a nuisance questing.

Darklord said:
Ah...damn. I probably can't get early access then because origin region locks me. I guess I could try and find a torrent or something for the file, then put my code in and use it normally. Although, I hope they'll just let people with a code download it no matter where they are located.

I doubt they would block you from downloading it, all you would need to do then is get a retail code, use it before the grace period ends and you would be set (buy it from ebay or get someone you know in another country to buy it for you then send you the code?)

They don't necessarily have to use Origin to distribute the client. Since they already confirmed you will not need Origin to play even if you purchased the digital edition, I would bet on them using some kind of launcher or downloader that is exclusive to SWTOR.

Rflagg

Billychu said:
That's cool about names but I'm probably just going to have my main named Billychu for convenience.
I always try to come up with a short name so it is easier to for those sending me tells and /invites.

BattleMonkey said:

It really looks cool in GW2 though!:) Harpoons baby:D

MedIC86

Darklord said:

Can't swim though!

What happended to that? i can remember a gameplay vid with underwater combat

Vigilant Walrus said:
It really looks cool in GW2 though!:) Harpoons baby:D

Eh not really. They did better than most by making actual water specific stuff, but it still comes off as highly stupid. Combat + water is just ridiculous, especially in Fantasy settings with any kind of armor.

If they put it in TOR I would want to see aquatic combat system created specifically for it, with actual unique water usage gear, and not just a bunch of fully armored troopers under water going pew pew pew like most MMOs.

CzarTim

As for name: When I got SWG the random name generator came out with "Pokok Wavingfly". Too bad we can only use one name, or I'd use that.

madara

Wait, this swimming talk. You guys make it sound like this mmo doesnt have z-axis? You can jump, fall, none of that invisible barriers all over crap right? I can't play those immersion breaking games after EQ1, too much fun with it.

Jira

madara said:
Wait, this swimming talk. You guys make it sound like this mmo doesnt have z-axis? You can jump, fall, none of that invisible barriers all over crap right? I can't play those immersion breaking games after EQ1, too much fun with it.

Yeah you can jump and fall. There's just no swimming under the surface of any water, probably only water where you can swim on the surface.

It has z-axis and you can jump around and fall off cliffs if you like to do that.

*Edit*: You can also throw enemies off cliffs with knockback abilities. That should be even more fun!

Thorhald said:
I'll be going with "chewintabacca"

Haha I like that.

Still debating whether to just play on the american servers, european servers are just too much hassle with all the languages and stuff (normally they get more neglected as well when the development team is based in the US)

Jira said:
Yeah you can jump and fall. There's just no swimming under the surface of any water, probably only water where you can swim on the surface.

Along time ago in a Game World Far, Far Away...

It is a time of retro-elements, as The Old Republic removes the ability to swim from everyone across the Galaxy. Gamers from all corners gather together and fathom just how these events were allowed to happen.

Super Mario, a lonely plumber from the 80s, is rumoured to have the ability to swim. A small task force of Gamers gather to hope that Super Mario will venture forth and restore the ability to swim across the Galaxy before it is too late.

Meanwhile, on Hoth, a lonely Wampa plays a keyboard.

Gritesh

Honestly I am super excited for this game. The first few years i played wow were great I enjoyed the game a lot, and I enjoy mmo's a lot as well. When I took a break from wow for a few months after bc was released I tried to come back but i was so far behind everyone else i always felt like I was playing catch up.

I am really looking forward to a fresh new experience where everyone is new to the game as well and I can get in on the ground floor so to speak. I honestly think the first six months are the best because everyone is new and people aren't already in their little cliques yet.

I really hope this becomes the go to mmo for years to come. When wow was first hitting the market it was an exciting time for gamers and the major publicity that gaming got from that game was really cool to be around. I hope tor gets major success it looks like one hell of a game!

Edit: I'm not a junior anymore! Dunno when that happened but sweet!

For some reason it's just now hitting me that while there may 16 or whatever classes with 100+ hour personal stories to go through, this also means I'm going to be doing the same 2 million grind quests 16 times.

So yeah, hype deflating, but I have to agree that this is making me replay KOTOR.

I seem to be unable to enjoy the standard/developer made UIs in MMORPGs and I don't really like SWTOR's as well. Both the old one and the one they revealed a few weeks ago. They said something about addon support at launch or shortly after launch so I guess it's fine. Still would be nice to see more complex and less flashy standard UIs.

*Edit*:
MadraptorMan said:
I've seen a video of underwater combat where the character was swimming...is that different than just regular swimming or something?

There is no underwater combat in SWTOR. You must be mixing it up with Guild Wars 2 or some other MMORPG title in development.

Hope there are addon support, as the best changes to WoW over the last few years have been influenced by community created add ons. Sadly, same can be said about some of the worse changes too (GEARSCORE!).

Yaska

Chriswok said:
Hope there are addon support, as the best changes to WoW over the last few years have been influenced by community created add ons. Sadly, same can be said about some of the worse changes too (GEARSCORE!).
Gearscore is what I'm afraid of with addons. Cosmetic add-ons are great, but when it starts to affect the way game is played (gearscores, "need this addon to join group"), it's not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom