• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I was thinking to myself earlier "What can go wrong now?" I've sorted out my pre-order with EA support, even my laptop can runs this game (although my desktop needs new RAM that isn't filled with errors), and the GAF guild is going to be awesome. And then my internet started going out every 5 minutes and I remembered how messed up my house is. My internet just refuses to work some days and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

Billychu said:
I was thinking to myself earlier "What can go wrong now?" I've sorted out my pre-order with EA support, even my laptop can runs this game (although my desktop needs new RAM that isn't filled with errors), and the GAF guild is going to be awesome. And then my internet started going out every 5 minutes and I remembered how messed up my house is. My internet just refuses to work some days and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do.
FYL

I know this has been posted before but Stephen Reid did a double check on region locking for The Old Republic servers.
7Zlzg.png

Xamdou

Very interesting how you can be part of the Empire and do good while being in the Republic you can do evil.

Also lvl 50 is the end-game? So no more increasing lvls or adding new worlds to explore?

Xamdou said:
Very interesting how you can be part of the Empire and do good while being in the Republic you can do evil.

Also lvl 50 is the end-game? So no more increasing lvls or adding new worlds to explore?
50 levels is what the game is launching with. Of course, new worlds and level increases will happen over the game's lifetime with expansion packs.

Xamdou

HarryDemeanor said:
50 is when the end-game begins in the base game. Of course worlds and level increases will happen over the game's lifetime with expansion packs.

Ok good been a while since I played MMORPG :O

zlatko

Banned
Billychu said:

You may want to call your internet provider to come send a repair guy over. The issue can be their hook ups and splitters, and more things you just aren't aware of that they can help with. Worth a shot since it could improve.

Xamdou said:

The more I think about it, the whole Jedi ideology is evil. Playing as a Dark Side Jedi, is probably more evil than playing as a Dark Side Sith Warrior/Inq!

Sith just embrace their feelings (even the bad ones) but the Jedi are hold back by some crazy christian templar can't-love-code. If there are child molesters in the old republic, you know they would be abstinence jedis with deep sexual frustrations from not feeling love. What exactly do you think Yoda was doing with those younglings in his chambers?

I'm only half kidding - Yeah George Lucas really dropped the ball when he expanded on the Jedis.

I think it's more good to play as a light side Sith, than playing as a light side Warrior/Cons!

In the original trilogy, you got the idea that Jedis were following some Bushido Samurai Code, but in the new trilogy you get the impression that the Jedi are actually fanatics.

If I play a Sith, I might be on the side that does harm and is assaulting everyone, being hostile - But I can still play as a good guy with the heart at the right place.

Apparently Light Side Bounty Hunter will be all about finding his code of honor, and how he comes to terms with his kills, while the light side imperial agent, will be sabotaging the empire from within... Or at least, care little for the Sith ideals, just trying not to get caught.

But I wonder what the light side Sith Warrior / Inq storylines will be about... Redemption? Falling dark jedi going back to the light?

Imagine if a force user could get so many light/dark side points, that eventually they would get the chance to cross over. biggest mind fuck ever. But it would never make sense to have evil sith force abillities on the republic sith... it would be almost like, - crossing over, and then going from sith warrior to jedi knight, but with your xp/items/whatever intact.

Gvaz

Banned
Oh my god. I'm just looking at the ship designs now for the player housing.

This is atrocious. These designs are god damn lazy. I can see what they were going for with each design.

D5-Mantis = Slave
Fury = Tie fighter
Thunderclap = luke's Skyhopper
phantom = naboo royal starship
xs freighter = falcon (it has the same design with some shit slapped on, don't you dare tell me corellians have no imagination, even the other YT models don't all look like the falcon)
defender = corvette

It's just really cheap and strikes me as lazy effort rather than a "callout"

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Gvaz said:

This is atrocious. These designs are god damn lazy. I can see what they were going for with each design.

D5-Mantis = Slave
Fury = Tie fighter
xs freighter = falcon (it has the same design with some shit slapped on, don't you dare tell me corellians have no imagination, even the other YT models don't all look like the falcon)
defender = corvette

I'm curious if you complained about the same thing with Knights of the Old Republic since the those designs were the same.

Gvaz

Banned
The Ebon hawk looks like the ebon hawk. Most of the designs didn't look like such a ripoff.

I loved KOTOR 1/2 btw.

Kintaro

Gvaz said:
The Ebon hawk looks like the ebon hawk. Most of the designs didn't look like such a ripoff.

I loved KOTOR 1/2 btw.

Really? Ebon Hawk obviously took uses from the Falcon. The Sith battlecruisers look like Star Destroyers, etc etc. They have always been similar. Not sure why that makes them lazy now.

830px-EbonhawkSW.jpg

CA_Smuggler_Ship01_800x450.jpg

Melfal.jpg

Looks more like the Hawk than anything to me.

Gvaz said:

D5-Mantis = Slave
Fury = Tie fighter
defender = corvette

Where can I see this pics? Nothing on beta cake!

Well, it sounds like you are describing the art design problem of everything looking like the movies even though we are 3000 years in the past.

I don't understand why everything looks so overly familiar... it's almost distracting. KOTOR looked way more unique in it's art.

Watching the Alderaaan PvP video I'm also wondering how much visual difference there will be with players down the road, when half the classes uses lightsabers... and they will still use lightsabers in 5-6 years. Visually it might get stale getting a new hilt... unless they go for crazy rainbow saber colors:O

Gvaz

Banned
Vigilant Walrus said:
Well, it sounds like you are describing the art design problem of everything looking like the movies even though we are 3000 years in the past.

I don't understand why everything looks so overly familiar... it's almost distracting. KOTOR looked way more unique in it's art.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying. The only exception is maybe the skyhopper but it's the same theme, though the cockpit has a imp shuttle theme to it.

Kintaro said:
Really? Ebon Hawk obviously took uses from the Falcon. The Sith battlecruisers look like Star Destroyers, etc etc. They have always been similar. Not sure why that makes them lazy now.

That looks similar (the G shape) because the idea is it's by the same company who made the falcon later. However this game takes place a short time after kotor, yet we have a ship that looks more like the falcon than the ebon hawk did. Hell, even the Outrider that Dash Rendar used looked less like the falcon than this shit.

edit: it seems that ebon hawk is really a KDY ship, which would make sense seeing as how the company that made them also later made shit like the star destroyers (mostly they make empire/sith stuff)

But anyways the real reason for the similarity is because the falcon is popular and iconic, which is why tons of star wars games have a falconish ship. My beef is the fact is it's too similar to other designs instead of making them truly original they choose these uglyass knockoffs.

Kintaro

Gvaz said:
But anyways the real reason for the similarity is because the falcon is popular and iconic, which is why tons of star wars games have a falconish ship. My beef is the fact is it's too similar to other designs instead of making them truly original they choose these uglyass knockoffs.

They look pretty cool to me. Also, I'm sure Bioware is still limited by Lucasarts approval. They just can't go willy nilly.

Bioware is taking much of the design influence from all over the star wars spectrum. The setting originally done by dark horse had a more fantasy look to it with a much more wild look. But when Bioware did kotor they wanted the look to feel more like star wars so suddenly everyone had blasters and visuals didn't look very different from the movies. Just more of the same here as you got a mix of new and old designs. The player ships are filled of homages.

MaddenNFL64

BattleMonkey said:
Bioware is taking much of the design influence from all over the star wars spectrum. The setting originally done by dark horse had a more fantasy look to it with a much more wild look. But when Bioware did kotor they wanted the look to feel more like star wars so suddenly everyone had blasters and visuals didn't look very different from the movies. Just more of the same here as you got a mix of new and old designs. The player ships are filled of homages.

Pretty much. Old republic was full of swords & sorcery & shit. KOTOR brought the movie influence in, and TOR is upping that.

darthbob said:

I have two of those also. My original order from day zero and one from today, which is funny b/c I didn't order anything today. I'm thinking it put that one in just b/c I signed into Origin to see what mine said after noticing your post. It really is a clusterfuck. I'm not really stressed about it since I know I'm in the swtor website as ordered since I put in my key and kept the confirmation email. If it's not fixed by the end of next week, I'll call Origin up and set them straight.

Welp still waiting on my amazon.com trade-in to go through. Again, I am a bit worried I won't be able to hardcore raid as much as I wanted to with my current work schedule, but we'll see what happens. I am basically in charge of a lot more than I was anticipating. Being able to offload tasks to my npc's is going to be HUGE in making sure I am able to keep up w/ what is going on for my character. I'll spend all my spare time I can getting on, but man it will be a juggle between time w/ my GF, work and the gym.

Also good to see that Republic GAF is up to 59 members. Let's make it 60! Haven't read the last few pages, but are we making a mumble or vent?

Edit: So a little confused. If I buy digital standard edition from amazon, they will send me an e-mail w/ a code for early play?

The_Inquisitor said:
Edit: So a little confused. If I buy digital standard edition from amazon, they will send me an e-mail w/ a code for early play?
Yes, when you pre-order it from Amazon you will instantly get a pre-order code sent to your e-mail.

HarryDemeanor said:
Yes, when you pre-order it from Amazon you will instantly get a pre-order code sent to your e-mail.

K good. Will send in my order Monday or so. Wish I was still in high school. Could have put so much more time into this game, haha.

Fonds

Seems like a good moment to push our European guild a bit more:

Looking for a home in the Old Republic as a republic player? PvP is your thing?

Look no further, NeoGAF is what you're looking for. We're already 30 members strong and launching our guild on a PvP server. Our goal is to help eachother level and make groups for flashpoints and pvp/ openworld pvp. As we progress toward endgame we'll see what we can do there.

Head on over to our page on swtor.com and apply for our guild. I'll accept the applications as soon as possible.

Orgun

Fonds said:
Seems like a good moment to push our European guild a bit more:

Looking for a home in the Old Republic as a republic player? PvP is your thing?

Look no further, NeoGAF is what you're looking for. We're already 30 members strong and launching our guild on a PvP server. Our goal is to help eachother level and make groups for flashpoints and pvp/ openworld pvp. As we progress toward endgame we'll see what we can do there.

Head on over to our page on swtor.com and apply for our guild. I'll accept the applications as soon as possible.
You know what...I think I'm gonna sign back up lol. The pvp actually sounds interesting in TOR

7:58p: Q: What are you doing to prevent endgame from becoming a gear war? JO: We have a system, that stephen would kill me if I talked about but we will talk about that in the next couple months. RV: We'll talk about that later because we're working on them currently.

Excellent!

JohnTuk said:
Long character creation video: http://megavideo.com/?v=AQ7MS0I4
Not uploaded by me, I'm not in the beta. Let me know If this shouldn't be linked to, I'll remove it right away.

Must be a bit old given that he could be a sith pureblood inquisitor. Unless that change hasn't been put into the beta yet.

Also I like how he spent 80% of the time going through every female option and skipped over most of the male ones.

MaddenNFL64 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBg_RJ2G4fE

You've seen this level before, but eh. It's a consular, so it's not too oversaturated.

The combat has improved, even though the guy was playing awkwardly.

- Combat speed is increased as lot.

- the force force feedback seemed much better and powerful.

- it didnt look like there were slow boring cooldowns, right after doing repeated slashes, he threw rocks from the ground, and force blasted them away.

It looks much closer to the speed and feel of jedi knight now. I'm pretty impressed by the improvements. There is still work to do, but this is not as atricious at all as the initial warzone trailer we saw.

I'm getting much more hopeful about the game. The fact that we can alter appearance of the companions is really, really, really good now. Now my bounty hunter won't have the same looking bounty hunter as all the other bounty hunters.

Besides Space (real space.. not the mini game) I think the biggest thing for me now is the lack of day/night cycles on all the planets.

It's a real shitty situation for Bioware and I feel for them, but it is important. In the six years I played GW1... You don't know how shitty it is not to have day/night cycles until they are gone. Everything looks 100 times less real. A big charm, is seeing the worlds at a different time of day. It's almost like playing a separate level or a separate skin version of the level. It adds so much to the variety.

But I understand why they can't do it. Many of their sky boxes are crazy. Some have multiple suns, other have days that last much longer than one earth day, and what about weather effects, and some have large cruisers, or space stations in the horizon hovering above the atmosphere.
I hope they are working on a solution down the road. It might take some time, but I bet it's worth it. They need to keep the worlds alive and live up to their promise of this being a re-rollers dream, so the thing won't happen again where the starter areas are stranded (WoW, EQ and so on...).

CoilShot

Chriswok said:
Oh man. So, even though I haven't played SWG for 6 years, because of the Sony downtime, they gave me 45 days free!

Isn't the servers going down like in 45 days? Plus be prepared for the biggest shock to what they did to combat and classes they removed.

CoilShot said:
Isn't the servers going down like in 45 days? Plus be prepared for the biggest shock to what they did to combat and classes they removed.

Haha I'm tempted to have a look. Can't imagine anything I ever did will still be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom