• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void |OT| My Life For Aiur

phoenixyz

Koreans always quit playing around when the group stage ends. They shouldn't have gotten their hopes up :b

On the one hand I'm angry about there being no WCS standalone tickets seeing that empty balcony in the arena.

On the other hand, the quality of the games wouldn't have been worth driving to LA.

Behold the fruit of this stupidity:

Still have no idea what blizz was thinking, and my worst fears about this format have been realized today. I want to see foreigners succeed on the big stage more than anything, but if you don't make them earn it you're gonna see this kind of shitshow.

I'd say I hope they fix it next year, but it might be too late for anyone to care.

Having a few foreigners (and Byun) there makes a much more enjoyable Global Finals than having 16 robot koreans playing for the title.
That the matches were mostly bad and viewership is dwindling is at least as much a fault of the state of the game as it is the fault of the format.

Syf

Banned
For me personally the viewing experience went downhill when the mothership core and swarm hosts came in. Haven't really been crazy about the game since then.

Anyway, watching now. Hope for some good last games.

SamuraiX-

Having a few foreigners (and Byun) there makes a much more enjoyable Global Finals than having 16 robot koreans playing for the title.

Totally.

I always get so bored whenever watching the most incredibly skilled players in a game compete at the highest level.

what

Vimes

That the matches were mostly bad and viewership is dwindling is at least as much a fault of the state of the game as it is the fault of the format.

Hmm. It hadn't occurred to me that Byun wouldn't be here if it weren't for the new format; there's no question he's on the level. I'll admit the old point system favored the players who could travel to international tournaments, instead of, say, the best of GSL. I've just been frustrated since I feel like the western players haven't been challenged to do better since the WCS visa lock. (But I missed Neeblet's run through kespa cup, since the korean tourneys have been harder than ever to watch if you live on the west coast.)

Vimes

Totally.

I always get so bored whenever watching the most incredibly skilled players in a game compete at the highest level.

what

I've definitely preferred watching GSL since the region lock. I feel like the western talent is collapsing. There are a few players doing well but none of them seem reliable. But that's more a feeling than anything I could back up with numbers comparing your average WCS vs GSL player.

Man, Byun's great. I wouldn't be caught dead calling your average korean a "robot" but it's always fun when you see a korean player who shows emotion like he does.

On the one hand I'm angry about there being no WCS standalone tickets seeing that empty balcony in the arena.

On the other hand, the quality of the games wouldn't have been worth driving to LA.

Behold the fruit of this stupidity:

Still have no idea what blizz was thinking, and my worst fears about this format have been realized today. I want to see foreigners succeed on the big stage more than anything, but if you don't make them earn it you're gonna see this kind of shitshow.

I'd say I hope they fix it next year, but it might be too late for anyone to care.

Um, half the top 16 were foreigners, and nearly half the top 8 is still foreigners so... still seems way more balanced than most people expected, myself included. Sure, Dark is wrecking them but... he's Dark. Had the bracket been a little different, Showtime or Neeb could have had a good chance of making it to the finals. This is hardly Lilbow-level performance from the foreigners either, they took out the SSL champion, Showtime beat (future Blizzcon champion) Byun pretty handily, etc.

Vimes

Um, half the top 16 were foreigners, and nearly half the top 8 is still foreigners so... still seems way more balanced than most people expected, myself included. Sure, Dark is wrecking them but... he's Dark. Had the bracket been a little different, Showtime or Neeb could have had a good chance of making it to the finals. This is hardly Lilbow-level performance from the foreigners either, they took out the SSL champion, Showtime beat (future Blizzcon champion) Byun pretty handily, etc.

Fair enough. It wouldn't be the first time a bracket got stacked like that through bad luck.

At least it's looking like a great grand finals.

phoenixyz

Yea, Kespa Cup and the Playoffs didn't really look like foreigners are being destroyed by Koreans. Even in the quarterfinals it looked like the nerves got Showtime and Neeb. They didn't play nearly as well as they did before. Maybe because in the Playoffs nobody expected anything of them and then suddenly, the pressure was on.

Jezbollah

It looks like the Google Deepmind thing is the last hurrah for SC2 in terms of attraction. I hope we will see some challenger matches vs the legends like Flash and Jaedong, as well as the leading Koreans much like we saw in the AlphaGO matches with Lee Sedol.

Vimes

So this "warchest" thing is basically like the DOTA2 battle passes? I'm not big on Starcraft becoming a de facto subscription service.

At least it's looking like a great grand finals.

That we can agree on. :D

Even in the quarterfinals it looked like the nerves got Showtime and Neeb. They didn't play nearly as well as they did before. Maybe because in the Playoffs nobody expected anything of them and then suddenly, the pressure was on.

That probably contributed to it, but I think PvZ is their worst matchup as well.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that Dark doesn't have the SKT logo displayed in the UI, but the KT boys still have the KT icon, and Solar had the Samsung icon as well ... Does this mean anything? I thought all those teams were now disbanded? :(

Syf

Banned
Yeah I dunno how to feel about the warchest yet. Gotta see what sort of rewards they're putting in and how much it costs. I like the idea though.

Syf

Banned
Don't jinx it Samurai smh

But yes fuck Protoss. Arena filled up when the Protoss was eliminated, coincidence??

SamuraiX-

Don't jinx it Samurai smh

Incoming Dark 4-1 grand final victory.
xzJlLC1.png

But yes fuck Protoss. Arena filled up when the Protoss was eliminated, coincidence??

Viewership tripled since the semifinals. Great to see.

Vimes

Protoss matchups were my favorite to watch in Heart of the Swarm (sOs was my boy), but I personally find adept and disruptor play dull. I'm fine with a TvZ finals this year.

Meanwhile Terran which I found extremely boring in HotS seems to have gotten way more exciting to watch. I'm not an expert on the balance and changes but it seems there's more micro plays and interesting army comps, instead of just macro + marine parade and occasional drops.

Games like that remind me how good SC can be to watch. So good!

Yeah this is the best series I've seen live in a long damn time.

SamuraiX-

I haven't kept up with ByuN's rise in LotV but his macro is actually pretty masterful. Right up there with some of the elite macro Terrans in their prime like Flash, Bomber, INno, TaeJa, etc. and even though his management of units with early aggression is solid, his micro of that late game army just didn't look up to par unfortunately.

Sick Game 3. What a hold by ByuN.

dem nades

Vimes

I haven't kept up with ByuN's rise in LotV but his macro is actually pretty masterful. Right up there with some of the elite macro Terrans in their prime like Flash, Bomber, INno, TaeJa, etc. and even though his management of units with early aggression is solid, his micro of that late game army just didn't look up to par unfortunately.

I really hope you're wrong :b
I want to see some long games but I also want Byun to win.

I havent seen SC2 for a long time - but since when did Tasteless start yelling so much? :/

Tasteless has always been a hype man. It this is SC's last hurrah, I wish all the best for Tastosis. They are absolutely inseparable from the experience. Whatever the case, GG everyone.

SamuraiX-

Hellions destroying a Zerg's early game economy.

Who said WoL was dead?
3SxixVX.png

ByuN is a boss with this repertoire of builds.

That Baneling target fire. hhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I really hope you're wrong :b
I want to see some long games but I also want Byun to win.

I hope so too! Maybe it was just an off moment for him. Late game, high class TvZ to me is unquestionably the best entertainment in SC2.

SamuraiX-

SPLITZ FOR DAAAAAYYYYSSSS

For real though, how did ByuN get this good? I mean, he was a pretty solid WoL player before he disappeared in HotS but wow.

Wow really? Neither of them taking a break after 4 games? Really unusual... Both feel locked in, I guess.

Vimes

For real though, how did ByuN get this good? I mean, he was a pretty solid WoL player before he disappeared in HotS but wow.

I wasn't watching pro SCII until HotS so this guy came out of nowhere for me.

He does look like he spent three years training in the mountains though.

Vimes

ByuN is a god!

I don't think I've ever seen control better than those last two engagements. Only play I've seen that compares was Scarlett's bane mine against Bomber at redbull.

SamuraiX-

ByuN has a real chance to take this with 3/3 and Dark is no where near 3/3 tech and doesn't seem too concerned about getting it anytime soon.

SamuraiX-

Better late game army control for ByuN this time around but I don't like that he went so Liberator heavy at the cost of Medivacs. His bio army had no survivability.

Top Bottom