• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

Syf

Banned
Hm that is really unfortunate. Maybe make a post on the official forum, see if they can do anything about it?

Stormus

People are just seeing the missile turret guys?

1c235d582208d5e2d90250049e85106d.jpg

dfcmhrjj_142c3w76qg8_b.jpg

This seriously just blew me fucking mine. Almost 20 years in ignorance.

New article about the sound enhancements coming to Remastered.

https://starcraft.com/en-us/articles/20722027

Some awesome stuff in there.

DIALOGUE AND LOCALIZATION
With the release of StarCraft: Remastered, we’re increasing the number of languages StarCraft is available in from 5 to 12.

Classic languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish (European)
Newly-supported languages: Chinese (Traditional), Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese (Brazilian), Russian, Spanish (Latin American)

Well, you got my money Blizzard. devs should take notes to not be lazy and add proper voices or at least subs for all regions. I am looking at you Bioware and Bungie

Principate

Saint Titanfall
2t2jB.jpg

I knew they were going to fuck it up but what the hell is this? This is a dude whose default phrases are "This is Jimmy" and "Sounds fun". How in the fuck is this dude supposed to be happy go lucky.

2t2jB.jpg

I knew they were going to fuck it up but what the hell is this? This is a dude whose default phrases are "This is Jimmy" and "Sounds fun". How in the fuck is this dude supposed to be happy go lucky.

He's everything but happy go lucky past the original terran campaign. Especially in Brood War were he's pretty much a depressed AF dude.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He's nothing but happy go lucky past the original terran campaign. Especially in Brood War

He's fairly happy go lucky for the majority of it till the near end. He's certainly isn't brooding as it takes until near the end of zerg campaign to brake him and he's barely in the terran and protoss campaigns of broodwar.

I'm litterally playing through the game again right now so I have a pretty decent grasp.

Will the update for the original SC have widescreen support or no? I'd rather play with my original copies instead of buying a remastered version.

2t2jB.jpg

Well, lorewise in SC1 most of the marine are bald, criminal guys.

hqdefault.jpg

On second thought they don't seem to be portraits based on the size of the image and the backgrounds. I don't know I hope they didn't pass on animating them. still portraits look terrible.

rip hot key rebind feature for now due to (purists) feedback.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20754155641

this is so stupid. why they listen to the morons...

hopefully it comes back in at some point, otherwise lol...

this is an example of why i don't always consider starcraft a strategy game

it's community has always seemed idiotic

the game might have actually had a chance to be fun outside of korea if they improved the UI/AI and people could actually find games on a slower speed, but the "don't nerf mah skillzz!!!11!!1" crowd was always too vocal

KLoWn

2t2jB.jpg

I don't see how that's a fuck up. Looks good.

ScOULaris

Don't worry, everyone. The new portraits will be animated. For all we know the ones we've seen so far are the concept art for the actual animated portraits. You can see the new Battlecruiser animated portrait in the announcement trailer.

Lork

With the 1.18 patch, Blizzard has "de-mastered" the original sprites by introducing texture compression:

T6Z5HHV.png

l3qgxHL.png

This impacts almost all in-game sprites and textures - possible exceptions are basic terrain tiles and static UI elements (buttons and resource icons are affected).
Sprites don't appear to be compressed in StarEdit - if the program uses the same data files, I guess the compression is applied at runtime in the game itself.

The intention might have been to reduce memory usage of the new textures in StarCraft Remastered, but it's unfortunate that it affects the original graphics.
Is the way better looking shadow in 1.18 a side effect of the compression?

Laiza

There is no way the portraits aren't animated, come on people.

...wait a minute

...this is literally the version from Heroes of the Storm

Ah well who knows how much effort is really going into this thing.
If they're remastering the soundtrack, we already know what to expect. They remastered some tracks for the Machines of War update of Heroes of the Storm. Sounds like this: https://youtu.be/F1AjFk75D0A

Pretty faithful to the original, just using better samples. Looking forward to hearing what they came up with for the remaster.
Just reminding people I already called it awhile ago. :)

Man the new music sounds like complete dry ass. I don't even see the point in re-making the music at all - it sounds perfectly fine in the original. Whatever, I just hope they have an option to switch graphics/sfx/music separately and don't tie everything to one switch.

Dreadmoth

Is the way better looking shadow in 1.18 a side effect of the compression?

No - 1.18 seems to use alpha blending for shadows (and transparent sections on briefing screens), which looks nicer than the original method.

One consequence of that improvement was that overlapping shadows merged realistically instead of becoming darker, which made spotting stacked units more difficult. Players complained and Blizzard tweaked the rendering in one of the following patches so that shadows stack again (but still have improved colours, reduced banding, etc.).

Lork

No - 1.18 seems to use alpha blending for shadows (and transparent sections on briefing screens), which looks nicer than the original method.

One consequence of that improvement was that overlapping shadows merged realistically instead of becoming darker, which made spotting stacked units more difficult. Players complained and Blizzard tweaked the rendering in one of the following patches so that shadows stack again (but still have improved colours, reduced banding, etc.).
Huh. It's kind of crazy how many seemingly random little things they decided to tweak for 1.18. Hopefully they don't consider it "done" at this point.

Huh. It's kind of crazy how many seemingly random little things they decided to tweak for 1.18. Hopefully they don't consider it "done" at this point.

I don't think it's manual tweaks. They probably ripped off old libs and put in modern ones to fix compatibility with modern OS and the infamous color palette corruption bug. I know they did it for sound with FMOD.

ScOULaris

Well, they had to basically reverse-engineer the original game using cobbled-together source assets/code and stuff ripped from the retail disc. They also had to build an entirely new OpenGL renderer to replace the old DirectDraw one. So much had to be done under the hood to even get 1.18 running, so it's impressive to think that they will be able to squash all of these little issues by the time Remastered releases this summer.

Yeah they're animated. The static pictures you've seen are seemingly just concept art for the new portraits. The brief glimpses at the final animated portraits in Remastered that we've seen so far look great IMO.
Oh I believed that they were but there were some posters that feared it wasn't cause of the static portraits we got through the sound update.

We can all rest easy as I wait for Fenix, Tassadar, and the Dark Archon portraits to appear!

Top Bottom