• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

rip hot key rebind feature for now due to (purists) feedback.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/starcraft/topic/20754155641

this is so stupid. why they listen to the morons...

hopefully it comes back in at some point, otherwise lol...

These "morons" are the only reason this game is still relevant. Who do you think this game is for?

For the record, I personally do want hotkeys and I specifically want to be able to move the camera with WASD, which wasn't possible on the PTR. What pros and veterans think is however much more important for this game than what I want from it. That's fine.

Why couldn't they make a D2 remake like this (cuz this looks ace)? I hope it's in the oven...
Probably so people will buy D3. It's coming probably.

So when the Remaster comes will it replace the original in your library or will it be an option when launching the original? Also have they said wether saves will transfer over from one another?

Syf

Banned
Dragoons, which carry gravely wounded Protoss warriors in their fluid cores, are renowned for their intelligence in battle.
lol

But yeah I love what I see from the art, and they have the right philosophy of staying true to the original. Ultralisk in particular looks awesome.

Neptonic

Okay do I have to create an oldschool b.net account to play 1.18? Because my actual login info isn't working. I really hope they fix that with the remaster.

Syf

Banned
Okay do I have to create an oldschool b.net account to play 1.18? Because my actual login info isn't working. I really hope they fix that with the remaster.
The remaster will use the modern launcher and tie into your friends list along with their other current games. For now though yeah you have to create an old account. It's still a separate thing.
Are there any samples online for the remastered music?
The remastered music is already on SC2, quick youtube search will get it for you.

nkarafo

The remastered music is already on SC2, quick youtube search will get it for you.
I thought they are remastering it again for this HD version?

It has a piece of the music at the beginning and it seems they are using better instrumentation.

Works fine on macOS apart from a few issues. When beating missions, sometimes the music stops and/or is really really quiet. Going into options and toggling the music on and off will fix it.

Also seen a strange bug with fullscreen mode. On my 15" retina MBP, sometimes when quitting the game from fullscreen mode causes macOS to bug out. I have changed it to windowed fullscreen and the issue seems to have gone away.

I want a Fenix and a Dark Archon statue or plushie.
I could never find a remastered version of the GOAT Terran theme in my opinion on YouTube. I don't think it was ever remastered along with some of the other songs.

bethore

I've been trying on and off to get the free version since yesterday, but keep running into this issue. Are the servers getting hammered or something?

uEmCopu.png

ScOULaris

^^ Are you running as admin?

They were having some server issues this morning as well. I think they are either resolved now it close to it.

Laiza

Personally, I'd rather the remastered tracks be in the style of the versions heard in Heroes of the Storm. The samples and instruments used there just sound more impactful than the originals. ESPECIALLY when the violins kick in (4-minute mark). Huge difference there.

Syf

Banned
Anyone with bugs should post 'em here. Blue post says their first priority is fixing issues with certain modern graphics cards and then they'll be hotfixing other issues.

aadiboy

Is Starcraft Anthology the same game as the Starcraft/Brood Wars bundle I bought from battle.net a couple months ago?

Hellshy.

I've been trying on and off to get the free version since yesterday, but keep running into this issue. Are the servers getting hammered or something?

uEmCopu.png

I was running into this same issue. I reinstalled the battle.net desktop app and the error went away.

_mail

Guys, Cat and mouse is back and it's glorious! If you haven't tried this gamemode I really recommend it. 1-2 players are cats and have to catch the mice. Sounds simple, but it's really in depth and fun! There's also a few good version where the cats are CPUs! Seriously, give this awesome mode a try!

Perineum

I thought this would be full screen for wide screen for some reason, but it isn't.

Bit of a turn off. I'll wait till HD I guess to mess around with it. SC2 was a love affair for me and I missed out on SC and Broodwar. Come HD I'm going to do the campaigns though.

Only issue with the new visuals is the Zerg structures feel out of place on the creep. If they just softened the edges of the structures it would look okay, but right now the outline is way to dark.

Tomeru

Probably so people will buy D3. It's coming probably.

So when the remaster comes will it replace the original in your library or will it be an option when launching the original? Also have they said wether saves will transfer over from one another?

So why make a Starcraft remaster if they have Starcraft 2 out? Diablo 3 is/was successful, so why not make a D2 remake (am cry, I think it's more successful then starcraft?).

Unless it for the competitive scene...

Or maybe the probability of a D2 remaster depends on the SC remaster. I have hope. Now, and forever!

Holy shit this looks so fucking sexy totally doing a full sp playthrough when it hits....... God give me a release date fuckkkkk

Syf

Banned
No news on release stuff yet. The final website unlock is on the 12th, people are hoping for more details then, but no idea really.

Dreadmoth

With the 1.18 patch, Blizzard has "de-mastered" the original sprites by introducing texture compression:

T6Z5HHV.png

l3qgxHL.png

This impacts almost all in-game sprites and textures - possible exceptions are basic terrain tiles and static UI elements (buttons and resource icons are affected).
Sprites don't appear to be compressed in StarEdit - if the program uses the same data files, I guess the compression is applied at runtime in the game itself.

The intention might have been to reduce memory usage of the new textures in StarCraft Remastered, but it's unfortunate that it affects the original graphics.

Top Bottom