• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

1.18 patch coming out today!

edit: they say "preparations" but we will see how it goes.

Evening Adventurers,

Battle.net will be down for maintenance on March 28th in preparation for 1.18 Starcraft.
Expected down time: 60 mins

Times:
• USWest: 0800 PDT
• USEast: 1000 PDT
• Asia: 1200 PDT
• Europe: 1600 PDT

Thank you,
Classic Games Team

Edit: This affects all games (War3, D2, SC)
Edit: Fixed time zone

So will my discs still work or do I have to download the digital copy?

I just bought the StarCraft 1 Battle Chest on eBay right before the event but if I can't use the discs then no worries.

In my defense I didn't know that the original StarCraft anthology was going to be free...

And your evidence for this is what exactly? I used to play It competitively. It's a massive game on the competitive stage. So what metric are you using?

I've discussed this to death before (not with you, just in general), so I'm just going to say that SCII eliminated many of the most interesting unit interactions and instituted a ton of hard skill caps that flattened out skill gaps a ton.

Okay, a bit further: SCII has a horrible problem with deathballs. You just build up your army until it's maxed and whoever makes the first mistake in the big 200/200 battle loses, no buts, ifs, whys, that's just how it is, and it's predictable. The game also puts a ton of emphasis on killing workers but doesn't actually make it difficult; whereas in BW worker harassing was unexpected, took a high level of multitasking, created battles all over the map, and (most importantly) didn't win you the game outright, in SCII it's super easy to do and you just outright lose the game if you lose a bunch of workers. Again, predictable.

I'm not saying it's bad. I played SCII before I played BW, and when I play Starcraft it's usually SCII because I suck and want the game to babysit my units for me (similarly, I usually play Smash Brawl over Melee because the latter is too fast for my neanderthal brain), but when it comes to organized play I find BW (and Melee) much, much more interesting.

I'll say it again. Um.....

EDIT: Sorry I'm not trying to be snarky! I just don't agree but you know, it's totally fine to have your own opinion of course.

It's fine, I looked back at my post after I wrote it and realized I came off as a biiiiiiiiiit confrontational.

It's a very hard game, especially Brood War. This remaster could have vastly benefited from the addition of difficulties. Missed opportunity.

Honestly, SC2 is harder, and the last terran mission and all the epilogue missions, especially on brutal, are harder than anything in Brood War.

Brood War was harder when I was a kid, but as an adult, I realized that the AI is playing not to make you lose, but to make it so you can't win. Stalemate.

clav

One part of what makes SC1 difficult is mastering its interface.

You have to learn how to group your units and how to select them with mouse due to the unit selection limit. You also need to practice how to group keyboard screens for home bases + units.

Unit + Building production hotkeys are all over the keyboard. Production facilities are not easily cycled between buildings + units. There is no idle worker button as you have to notice it.

SC2 eliminates these UI difficulty barriers and even allows you to customize those keys.

Try sending 200 supply units at once in SC1 vs. in SC2.

I've discussed this to death before (not with you, just in general), so I'm just going to say that SCII eliminated many of the most interesting unit interactions and instituted a ton of hard skill caps that flattened out skill gaps a ton.

Okay, a bit further: SCII has a horrible problem with deathballs. You just build up your army till it's maxed and whoever makes the first mistake in the big 200/200 battle loses, no buts, ifs, whys, that's just how it is, and it's predictable. The game also puts a ton of emphasis on killing workers but doesn't actually make it difficult; whereas in BW worker harassing was unexpected, took high level of multitasking, created battles all over the map, and (most importantly) didn't win you the game outright, in SCII it's super easy to do and you just outright lose the game if you lose a bunch of workers. Again, predictable.

I'm not saying it's bad. I played SCII before I played BW, and when I play Starcraft it's usually SCII because I suck and want the game to babysit my units for me (similarly, I usually play Smash Brawl over Melee because the latter is too fast for my neanderthal brain), but when it comes to organized play I find BW (and Melee) much, much more interesting.

You know you want to say SC2 is bad.

In retrospect, it doesn't hold up. Too many hard counters and not enough soft counters.

TheContact

Not, not bad, but not a heir to SC1 whatsoever.

Main flaws of SC2 were the shit, teenagerish, extremely deductive story. Also the campaign felt wierd and without pace.

SC1 story was shrouded in mistery, every map was a revelation, the GFX was dark, gritty, even being "cartoony" and the music embraced it all.

Yea this. I replayed both sc/bw story and it's a masterpiece compared to the writing in sc2. I can't really place it, but the story and writing in sc2 was so...amateur and bad

I hope vanilla will get widescreen support at some point.
I believe the original version is getting a patch this month and it might include widescreen support

54-46!

Yea this. I replayed both sc/bw story and it's a masterpiece compared to the writing in sc2. I can't really place it, but the story and writing in sc2 was so...amateur and bad

Do you think we'll get this Raynor in the Remaster?

It may not be tomorrow, darlin', it may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured: I'm the man who's gonna kill you one day! I'll be seeing you!

or will they change it to something like this to keep it in line with SC2?

No, Sarah, this isn't you! It may not be tomorrow my love, it may not even happen with an army at my back. But rest assured, I'm the man who's gonna turn you over to the light one day! till we meet again m'lady

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I believe the original version is getting a patch this month and it might include widescreen support

The worst was the Tassadar's revelation in WoL for me (I didn't bother to play the other campaigns after that shit show). The Tassadar "revelation" just retroactively shat on SC1 from a great height. (Thankfully it was retconned to not actually being him I believe), but even then the voice acting an execution was completely awful.

I'm still astonished that despite making billions in dollars Blizzard still ended up with worse voice acting in SC2 than in SC1 I mean how?

Maledict

Not at all. It was pretty much the perfect transition to 3D for the series. Sure the story sucked, but who gives a fuck.

I did. Starcraft and Brood Wars story remains the best campaign and narrative in an rats game, and is actually really strong on its own. SC2 retconned it to a ridiculous level, with Raynor mooning over Kerrigan being the worst part of it.

For lots of people single player was all they played of Starcraft, and the story is important for that.

ScOULaris

Starcraft 2 will always be loathed by me for one primary reason: it essentially killed off Brood War's amazing UMS scene without ever managing to replace or succeed it.

Of course it was also a step backward in a lot of ways ranging from gameplay to story, but this is the main reason why I detest Starcraft 2 and everything that it stands for.

With any luck this 1.18 patch and the upcoming remaster will reignite some of that old UMS community flame. Blizzard had let US East and West wither away as hackers took over in recent years, and after that the UMS community was scattered to the winds. Those who remained had to turn to third-party programs and servers just to find other people who wanted to play.

Come this Wednesday, when 1.18 drops, I hope to see a minor resurgence on US East.

clav

New patch will allow key customization in BW

That will help a bit, but things added to SC2 like smart cycling through tab key don't exist.

SC2 experts transitioning to SC1 will suddenly realize they will need more APM + click + group accuracy to play at the same level.

DieH@rd

Banned
SC2 experts transitioning to SC1 will suddenly realize they will need more APM + click + group accuracy to play at the same level.

That's not news, this was known from the day of the 1st SC2 beta years ago. BW was always regarded as one of the most demanding esport games. SC2 has easier macro, but it allowed for more varied battles due to the presence of much more units and their abilities.

Laiza

If they're remastering the soundtrack, we already know what to expect. They remastered some tracks for the Machines of War update of Heroes of the Storm. Sounds like this: https://youtu.be/F1AjFk75D0A

Pretty faithful to the original, just using better samples. Looking forward to hearing what they came up with for the remaster.

Woorloog

Banned
I would assume the remastered soundtracks are the ones added to SC2 (basically higher quality versions). Indeed i kinda assume they were made because SC:R was in the making and they just figured "why the hell not" and added them to SC2.

Unless they re-record (and interpret?) them really, like Halo Anniversary soundtracks.

you have it backwards. sc2 is a massively dumbed down version of starcraft

I'm assuming most of the people making said statements played brood war after playing SC2. It's not really surprising since Brood War when SC2 came out I think was close to ~15 years old. It doesn' help that Brood War even today is still very mechanically difficult to play so if you didn't grow up playing it, it makes sense to not like it.

NewGame

Banned
bZxEdne.jpg

https://starcraft.com/en-us/

We know that SP will be enhanced with animated comic book style sequences. Most likely they will be there instead of old FMVs.

The old voices were perfect- if they recast it is going to sound like some crappy saturday morning cartoon I just know it.

you have it backwards. sc2 is a massively dumbed down version of starcraft

There is no way that's true and I played BW for over 4 years. Splitting your army to defend against 3rd wave death balls and counters necessary to stop someone who is good at harassing is a while different beast

kasane

Im gonna chip in as the biggest starcraft 2 hater in here

first of all Sc2's campaign are fucking awful, they're fun but the story is so fucking awful i had no idea where blizzard pulled their writers for this iteration.

On the comptetive side of things; I firmly believed that all thru out SC2s life span David kim literally had no idea what they wanted to do with this game. The fact that there are eras where 1 race was dominating was pretty telling, Winfestor/broodlord era, Tank MMM push ( WOL ), early protoss bullshit on heart of the swarm and then we had reaper opening dominance by terran. They had no fucking clue what to do with this game.

Hell its hard to distinguish SC2 players from one another because of the ' Improved ' mechanics ( unlimited units in a control group, etc. ). Meanwhile in brood war you have players who are particularlu good at macro or micro; because you have to focus your attention so much on certain aspects of the game it makes for much more interesting matches.

Also units die too fucking quickly on SC2; its deathball and worker harass incarnate and meanwhile in brood war we get people vying for position inch by inch so they can take control of the map.

I just wanted to rant because Brood war is back and i can finally put the game i hated back into the dumpster, i game i hated but a game i loved at the same time. Im mad at blizzard for what SC2 has become.
cBj1LTf.png
cBj1LTf.png

There is no way that's true and I played BW for over 4 years. Splitting your army to defend against 3rd wave death balls and counters necessary to stop someone who is good at harassing is a while different beast

i mean its generally accepted among pretty much the entire broodwar/sc2 high skill community

TheContact

Do you think we'll get this Raynor in the Remaster?

or will they change it to something like this to keep it in line with SC2?

They aren't touching the writing thankfully they're just adding illustrations to enhance the existing story telling.

Woorloog

Banned
wtf, there's a guy operating missle turrets?!

This info belongs in the gaming secrets thread.

You didn't know?

BTW, they're in SC2 missile turrets as well.

The only thing about them i don't get is how they can tolerate that spinning. Should have periodic vomiting sprite.

Top Bottom