• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield gets PEGI rating, Bethesda listed on Summer Games Fest.......is it time?

jigglet

Banned
I generally think Bethesda games are janky shit but I can't deny the appeal of a TES game set in space. I don't know why not many devs have bothered trying to capture this market since Star Citizen is still so far away.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Are any of these leaks from reliable people? It would be awesome if Starfield releases next year, but I hate to get my hopes up.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
20201001_125356.jpg
xmKCwm5.png
K0NFL2a.png
jZWEA9D.png

Outside racing games, Bethesda's adventures are my most-played games and I'm a massive sci-fi fan so the prospect of them becoming one is pretty exciting.

Supposedly work on this game started a long time ago and it spent years in the pre-production stage. The Starfield name itself was copywritten in 2013. If that's the case, the art design in the game should be fantastic. For all the problems Fallout 4 had, concepts art and art direction were not one of them and the idea of Bethesda's super talented concept artists having had over a decade to come up with concept art for Starfield should bode well for the game.

After Fallout 4 went gold staff were committed to Starfield so actual development has been going since the end of 2015. After Fallout 76went gold at the end of 2018 the project was fully staffed and has been in full swing since. These leaks are all from before that point.

If all this is true (it's Todd, so who knows) then there's a decent chance the game might make late 2021 or early 2022. I just hope with Microsoft's recent 7.5 billion dollar infusion in exchange for a Microsoft logo on their paperwork they also received some breathing room to actually polish the game before launch (I can dream).

Starfield

Theres also some interesting stuff regarding an old 4chan leak that went into detail regarding engine overhaul and what that means for Starfield.

Turns out this leak might turn out to be true in the end. We will see.

tl;dr: animation overhaul (confirmed already) aswell as complete physics rewrite (maybe no longer havok instead an entirely new written physics engine), some form of raytracing, photogrammetery (confirmed already), pathfinding system will be remade, Cell system will be tossed

Dabaus

Banned
Random thought: I have my doubts starfield will not be on ps4/ps5 (assuming its crossgen). The game has been in development for like what, 5-6 years on all platforms and is rumored to launch in 2021? The Bethesda MS deal doesnt go through until next year sometime. I find it hard to believe they just all of a sudden stopped working on one version of the game. Id further add that sony allegedly tried to get it to be a timed exclusive so that must mean its pretty far along in development on their hardware.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

unknown.png

He has worked on music for all Bethesda Fallout games(3,NV,4,76) and Elder Scrolls Blades.
EmQDys3UYAY-P-X.png
EmQDys3U8AEcyN2.png
EmQDys3VgAEtwCt.png
EmQDys5UYAEhqst.png
Although he has also worked in the Dragon Age Series🤔.

Last edited:

Romulus

Random thought: I have my doubts starfield will not be on ps4/ps5 (assuming its crossgen). The game has been in development for like what, 5-6 years on all platforms and is rumored to launch in 2021? The Bethesda MS deal doesnt go through until next year sometime. I find it hard to believe they just all of a sudden stopped working on one version of the game. Id further add that sony allegedly tried to get it to be a timed exclusive so that must mean its pretty far along in development on their hardware.

If its designed to run on ps4, then most any shit PC can run it too. We're talking near bottom of the barrel at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom