• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robb

Gold Member
uRfA2Y3.jpg

The meltdowns over some arbitrary scores are hilarious.

Dcr1d3r

Damn...where does Xbox go from here then? Unless MS have some serious AAA bangers underwraps, releasing soon, I just can't see anyway they can claw back any of the market share this gen...really disappointing. What the hell are MS playing at?

Not surprised at the line “Bethesda's latest open-world adventure falls victim to its own hype”

As soon as MS bought Bethesda fanboys decided Starfield was the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Sure, but by the same token the even larger group of players that no longer could play Starfield on their preferred platform *cough* PS5 *cough* started downplaying this game like there was no tomorrow.

Tomeru

CSSZbAu.jpg

This is a criticism by IGN, and it’s purely POV, but this is exactly what I want from a game focusing on exploration. I don’t want to follow map markers and way points on a map screen. Following in game signs and directions from speaking to NPCs is exactly how I want to go about finding areas of interest. That’s what I consider immersive.
Dude. Waze and Google Maps are a thing.

Thirty7ven

Banned
When I'm getting "copium" responses before the first review is even out......yeah, that's when I knew.

Overhyped doesn’t mean that it’s bad, but clearly the game was overhyped? It’s not like we couldn’t see it coming, the level of expectations set by the Xbox fans was just absolutely insane.

They will just move on to X million people played quickly though so it’s not like anybody will be hurting for long.

ABnormal

More like starting gun backfired and now its a self inflicted wound

MS has all the money in the world yet there is one thing it cant buy, TALENT!!
Imagine if MS would be interested in producing new games instead of seizing already existing IPs. 70 Billions for Activision would allow to develop FIVE 500 million budget games like GTA5 each year, for FOUR generations (around 20 years). Just saying.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

This is a criticism by IGN, and it’s purely POV, but this is exactly what I want from a game focusing on exploration. I don’t want to follow map markers and way points on a map screen. Following in game signs and directions from speaking to NPCs is exactly how I want to go about finding areas of interest. That’s what I consider immersive.
Shit gets old fast, though

GHG

Gold Member
The problem is that Steam users will just be so far to either end of the scale.

They even have Hello Neighbor as "very positive"... I mean come on lol.

And on the other hand, they will bomb some games because of a feature or something they don't like. I've seen a lot of games get reviews within moments of it being released, with one word and trying to be "funny".

When millions of people have access to a game there is no "they".

Games that get destroyed in steam reviews always deserve it, there have been no exceptions.

If you only want to see opinions from people who have played a certain amount of time etc then you can filter reviews accordingly.

It's a review system where there's nowhere to hide. If there are significant problems in any way then it will be made to be known.

I have not been a huge fan of Bethesda's latest RPG offerings (FO4 and 76). Everything Emil Pagliarulo touches from a design perspective ends up being shallow (FO4 dialog options) or gets over emphasized (the settlement building). The moment I read that he was the lead designer for Starfield I wasn't expecting much.

ByWatterson

Baldino:

Game takes a while to get going.
Has bugs as to be expected.
Main quest where he enjoyed the game most.
Gun play feels good.
Ship building works great, loved spending time with it.
Exploration wasn't as good as hoped. Very menu-y, loading screens, feels like there's too many barriers and doesn't feel seamless.
Many planets were bland and boring. Most planet dungeons didn't feel worth exploring.

I was assured I didn't need any of this to get the feeling of exploration.

Lokaum D+

CSSZbAu.jpg

my god, even elden ring has a map to somehow guide you, having a map ll not break immersion, its a basic feature ffs.

mortal

Gold Member
I think you underestimate how emotionally charged everything around this game really is because it is not on PlayStation...
I don't think it's that serious, considering these are objectively good average scores. If someone only cares about something as it is compared to PlayStation, do they even care about the game?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Imagine if MS would be interested in producing new games instead of seizin already existing IPs. 70 Billions for Activision would allow to develop FIVE 500 million budget games like GTA5 each year, for FOUR generations (around 20 years). Just saying.
Problem is they cant even create their own unique content anymore. Evert here of The Initiative? Neither have I (jokes aside) this was supposed to be their grass roots studio built from the ground up. Money poured into it, working on the new perfect dark and what happens? They bring in Crystal Dynamics a third party player to come in, take over, and take charge of the project which I assume and been restarted or vastly changed

Top Bottom