• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Montauk

OmrVZce.jpg

tenor.gif

It has no obligation to be realistic; it’s a game. Games have mechanics designed to serve their gameplay design.

Reality has hard rules. Not games.

This also clearly isn’t a sim.

Portugeezer

AAA games sometimes get punished due to the hype. I saw the IGN review, no way this game is a 7/10... but it's AAA and he was disappointed.

Midn1ght

it may look better on person, twich/youtube bitrate kill image quality 100% of time.
Yeah I came to the same conclusion, YT image quality is awful. I'm not expecting Naughty Dog visuals for this game but so far Starfield is not looking so great. Not speaking about the quality of the game of course, hell, I replayed Vanilla Fallout 3 this year and loved every minutes but still, that showcase in June looked way better than anything I'm seeing right now and it's a little bit disappointing. Of course I might change my opinion when I actually play the game.

With the weighted review averages that MC and OC use, is it fair to say that the 7's from IGN and Gamespot singlehandedly took the average score down a couple points?

Gambit2483

IGN review confirmed that there are no maps

No maps, man

What the hell

I'll be playing it, but my hype deflated quite a bit

I didnt even bother finishing F4. Hopefuly it will be much better than that.

F3 is one of my favorite games, Skyrim was also pretty good
If there's no maps are there at least compasses?? I mean there's still basic navigational "tech" in the 23rd century, right? Right?

Fredrik

I predicted a score of 90 and so far it looks like I'm 2 or 3 points off my expectation for this game. I'll tell you if I think it was overhyped after I play. This review score drama is a very old tale that has played out exactly like this many times before. I'll just have to see for myself.
I planned to play one session before I checked reviews but it was impossible to dodge the news when the embargo was up lol

9/10 from all critics I usually check and a Meta at 85-90 on PC. I was spot on!

Can’t wait to jump in! Can’t do it until 20:00 tomorrow though, wrong time zone, the release is 02:00 in the night and it’s a work day tomorrow. Gonna make sure it’s patched up and ready tomorrow morning so I start playing fast after work.

Initial pre-release thoughts. Good thing that I’m used at procedural generation from playing No Man’s Sky. Seems like there needs to be some SkyUI mod for the inventory going by Parris quick review. Nice to see near locked 30fps on Xbox, gives me hope tor a butter smooth PC version.
All in all, this is going to be aaaaawesome!! 😁

eNT1TY

I was on the fence about buying it on launch, but after watching Alanah Pearce's recent video, fucking oof. 2023 has been the most expensive year of gaming for me in a very long time. Bethesday were going to have to really have to sell me on Starfield to spend $70 on launch, and right now I don't think they have.
This is kinda where im at, i will not be doing the early access or getting a steam copy. I'll just do a month of gamepass and play it on standard release. I'm still in act 1 of bg3 so am in no rush.

jm89

That depends if Edge / EG gives it 6/10 or 7/10. If both give the game 10/10, it could still end up us 87 or 88.
Those 2 outlets can be petty as fuck.

Phil better start making calls and start begging.

Edge has a higher weighting and eurogamer to, so their scores could tank it by one point atleast.

LordCBH

I look forward to playing it tonight. Overall looks solid, but I need to play it. As long as it addresses my concerns I had with Fallout 4, I’ll likely have a great time.

Danknugz

i didn't even realize i was looking at pages in this thread from yesterday and someone just told me now that reviews were out, wow what a shitstorm

Bkdk

Business wise it depends on how well it sells and how many GP subs and hardware units it moves regardless of scores.

Sure in the end it will be up to sales numbers but for the most part, 99.9% of the games have user score quite a bit lower than media review scores, so MS will already have quite the idea that user will review lower than media review and hurt sales. No way this will meet the expectation after spending 400 million. They could bring it back through updates like cyberpunk did, but that is after a massive restructuring within cdpr as well after many are fired and hired a very different team to handle stuff, also with a much different managing approach to the devs. CDPR is also relocating the cyberpunk sequel team and change game engine. Same big restructuring will almost certainly happen to bethesda game studios. They won't have to relocate but massive changes within the team, including lots of firings.

One of the dumbest takes I've ever seen. If you need to play a game for dozens of hours for it to get good, you just have stockholm syndrome.

i may have missing this info, but wasnt take off and landing real time ?

Ngl but this was obvious since they started showing the game. It was all smoke and mirrors and Luke Stephens confirmed it further. The "planets" are not planets at all and are nothing but a tiny little map.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm still in shock
Tbh seeing all the leaks and comments made it look good
I will still play it and make my own opinion on monday
Do we know wich sites didn't review yet?
There's nuance to all this, all I will say is seeing the facial animations just made it look...normal to me. It didn't look amazing or like the 2nd coming. Especially factoring in everything else about the game.

I say this because that made Zero Dawn underwhelming to me, and elevated Forbidden West for me. Presentation is also a thing that IMO hurts Forspoken alot. There are some lil things that add up to make you go wtf where they thinking with Forspoken. I enjoy the combat, but it falls short in other areas.

Starfield.... environments look really good tho. But as more details come out about the game....its just whelming to me right now. Not underwhelming but just...eh. I too will see how I like it when I play it. I also like the Crackdown series, enjoy Recore and State of Decay so my opinion is probably shit, lol.

solidus12

lol wtf?!
That's... not great.

Also she works for sony. it is a bit unethical to review M$ game
Yeah never understood why she chose Sony, she seems to REALLY like Xbox.

Back on topic, I think people are forgetting that most UK outlets haven’t received their review code, so I’m pretty sure the game’s score will drop to low 80s.

Last edited:

Mythoclast

Looking at that exploration video, it really does seem that they promised more than they could deliver. Ultimately people were expecting a mash of No Man's Sky with Bethesda RPG, but that's not what we're getting. I was also a bit disappointed that you cannot really land anywhere or explore the full planet, and that space travel is done via loading screens. It reeks of false advertising even lol. I really wanted this game to be groundbreaking, but it does seem that it really is a Bethesda RPG in space. Will still play the fuck out of it tho.

Montauk

She’s literally flying towards Saturn. A planet based in our reality, in our solar system.

That has no relevance to what I said. It’s a game. In a game, the designers get to decide how things work. Because it’s not real, you see?

If you can’t coast along on momentum then I’m sure there’s a reason for that.

You don’t have to like it but just saying “but reality” doesn’t stop games from having no obligation to be realistic.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah never understood why she choose Sony, she seems to REALLY like Xbox.

Back on topic, I think people are forgetting that most UK outlets haven’t received their review code, so I’m pretty sure the game’s score will drop to low 80s.
She is xbox shill and it's crazy because she works for sony

Hugare

This 3-minute video by NXG perfectly summarizes my feelings and disappointments with Starfield.

To me, Starfield is a story of wasted potential. This game could have been super special, a 95+ must-play.

New engine my ass (as always)

They said the same thing about Skyrim engine, after all

Bethesda, for the love of God, you have Microsoft's money now. Make a new engine.

I beg you

Zuzu

New Vegas still reigns supreme (yes I know it wasn’t made by Bethesda). Long live the king!

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
That has no relevance to what I said. It’s a game. In a game, the designers get to decide how things work. Because it’s not real, you see?

If you can’t coast along on momentum then I’m sure there’s a reason for that.

You don’t have to like it but just saying “but reality” doesn’t stop games from having no obligation to be realistic.
So the rules of space don’t apply to Bethesda’s space based game, because it’s not real. Thanks for clearing that up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gudji

New engine my ass (as always)

They said the same thing about Skyrim engine, after all

Bethesda, for the love of God, you have Microsoft's money now. Make a new engine.

I beg you
I hope someone else makes a similar game to bethesda titles but with a high budget. Maybe they'll move their ass then.

killatopak

Looking at that exploration video, it really does seem that they promised more than they could deliver. Ultimately people were expecting a mash of No Man's Sky with Bethesda RPG, but that's not what we're getting. I was also a bit disappointed that you cannot really land anywhere or explore the full planet, and that space travel is done via loading screens. It reeks of false advertising even lol. I really wanted this game to be groundbreaking, but it does seem that it really is a Bethesda RPG in space. Will still play the fuck out of it tho.
I dunno why it always happen but Todd is the greatest salesman. Like how many times do I have to know to not take his words at face value to finally learn. In the end though, his games are still fun especially for fans of the explore, fight and loot loop their games have.

geary

So what could i get is:

Positives
  • RPG elelements are much stronger than in Previous Bethesda Games
  • Character creation inventory management is really good
  • Shiton of quests & content
  • Animations and combat are good
  • Story is really good
  • Ship building is really good
Problems

• Most of the planets are barren
  • Planet exploration goes down to classic Ubisoft formula "go there and kill everyone"
  • It's super easy to get lost in the game
  • Shitload of loadingscreen even with SSD
  • Shit peformance on Xbox Series S

The fact that IGN and Gamespot didnt gave this high scores is a red flag considering how they love to jerk on big game studios titles. I think i will just get the standard edition.
I fail to see hows that a problem.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I predicted a score of 90 and so far it looks like I'm 2 or 3 points off my expectation for this game. I'll tell you if I think it was overhyped after I play. This review score drama is a very old tale that has played out exactly like this many times before. I'll just have to see for myself.

Overhype isn’t a personal thing, not in this context. The game exists outside your mind, and that’s what’s being discussed when people say the game was overhyped.

Menu based exploration. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Top Bottom