• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duchess

8fc.jpeg

The_Joker_%28Cesar_Romero%29.jpg

What kind of gamer does Cesar Romero's Joker make you???

feynoob

Gold Member
The bigger complaint doesn't seem to be about loading times, but the amount of loading screens.
It's Bethesda my friend.
They don't understand the language of open cells.
Every object has their own cells, which causes a lot of loading screen.

Gudji

FFS after reading & watching all day reviews......I caved in & got early access.
I was never fun of Bethesda games, played some Fallout 3 & some Skyrim, some Fallout 4 but Starfield.....Starfield is total different beast.
I'm start getting game vibes like with Elden ring( was my first From game). Playing it on Series S with gamepass with upgrade & game looks gorgeous ( at least on my 1080p monitor).
Everything is so smooth that I'm forgetting that game runs on 30fps. I don't know what magic Bethesda did with game engine but everything runs & plays so smooth.
I'm glad they did it & proved their 8y work is worth.
THANK YOU BETHESDA FOR THIS MASTERWORK !!!
Clap Applause GIF

salva

I'm 8 hours in and still haven't even met the constellation group!
Wish space flight was more hands on, and some of the clunky systems were improved, but other than that I'm fken loving this.
Star Citizen freedom seems like it'll never come in a sci-fi game, this is a good step towards it though.
Looks great on the X, but played the last few hours on PC, some things look jaw dropping.

Fools idol

Banned
mid game exploration content is heavily copy pasted. I've cleared the same fucking science outpost with those tower things 3 times in the last 2 hours.. I mean, I kind of expected this but it's a bit of a throwback to all the promises made by no mans sky at launch isnt it.

There are so, so many loading screens. It really took me aback when I realised the space exploration is more like the ship travel system in Pillars of Eternity 2 than it is elite dangerous which is what I had hoped for when the game was announced.

I am very much feeling a personal 6/10 so far. It's got Bethesda DNA through and through for better or worse depending on your personal taste on that front. The moments like leaving the vault, seeing your first dragon, discovering the world seamlessly are severely lacking. But what it does do like visuals, set pieces, story and quests are 'just good enough' but very much a 2011 kind of quality, safe as hell, and it's a bit of a letdown in that respect too. The world is vast, intriguing from the off, but so far I am finding exploring it very tedious. Wasted potential is the phrase that comes to mind, tbh.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've found myself in the corpo storyline on Neon and it's pretty sweet. For a "side activity" I've spent almost two hours on it and I have no idea how far I am through this storyline. There is a fuckton of content it looks like.

I am growing weary and beginning to tire of constantly backing out of menus. What were they thinking?
I am seeing a lot of people complaining about this and load times.

This is why people shouldn’t have bashed IGN and Gamespot for their reviews before playing the game because it’s looking like some of there criticisms were valid.

Can’t wait to start my play through today.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My review after being sick and lay down in hospital for well quite a while. Since I am in nice hospital, I have Xbox here and playing on LG CX (yeah some fee for that). I played like a good 8 hours.

Not sure if that's OLED or something, but the game feels like it runs on 20 FPS or maybe I just grew out of 30 FPS, its bad. On top of it it does not really look good, feels like the game which has the most common with, Outer Worlds looks and runs better. Even like on old gen.

Then like the whole traveling shit is a ui busy work and inclusion of that, made the game worse. I just hate it, straight up garbage. Especially when you aren't told shit how to navigate, open map and that's it. And there you see one big planet where you just lift off from, there are some labels on buttons, since you should press B, there is label "long press" which kicks you out to ship. I oversee ui works of others currently and it just feels some amateurish.

It has none of the charm and charisma of Fallout games, while being at around same junk as Bethesda Fallouts (and I admit that I played shitton of F4, I love that game), its just annoying.

When I stumbled upon the new haven or where you meet the Constellation blond chick, whole thing feels old, not necessarily aesthetic, but how it plays and so. I can't really do much, there is huge windows on the tram and I just have to find a way into building and cannot just break the glass and create shortcut. Shit like that. Somewhat I replayed whole Deus Ex Mankind Divided and that shit (I know different genre, but also 1/100 of budget) is so fucking far ahead of the games which we are served. Like the teams are always getting bigger, how the fuck more advance features, more paths in meaningful way aren't included?

Loading, LOAdINGS loadINGS, did I meantioned loading screens, so fucking bad. Almost as bad as forementioned Outer Worlds on fucking Xbox One VCR HDD 5400rpm. Embarrassing.

And then there is shooting, which to me seems like a joke and not just shooting the whole animation system seems broken. The character moves fast, for 30 FPS, its weird to explain, it just makes a long steps and the camera when you spin it around, it is jerky as fuck. So whole this is garbage, Destiny 1 was 9 years ago, also 30 FPS and it was fucking perfect at that time. This is like 30 FPS F4 without VATS, garbage.

Its just all around really disappointing and forgettable experience. I have to say that first 8 hours was better spent on F76 (I played it when it hit gamepass), this is just bad.

I am not depressed, I played a lot of games lately and it helps me to cope with the situation. So its not like anti-gaming depression we all know and love. Its just a mediocre and I would say in certain areas downright bad game. I am not far, but I can only see score dropping. So far at best 5/10, I threw 900CZK out of the window, because FOMO.

I wish you all well

Banjo64

cumsessed
My review after being sick and lay down in hospital for well quite a while. Since I am in nice hospital, I have Xbox here and playing on LG CX (yeah some fee for that). I played like a good 8 hours.

Not sure if that's OLED or something, but the game feels like it runs on 20 FPS or maybe I just grew out of 30 FPS, its bad. On top of it it does not really look good, feels like the game which has the most common with, Outer Worlds looks and runs better. Even like on old gen.

Then like the whole traveling shit is a ui busy work and inclusion of that, made the game worse. I just hate it, straight up garbage. Especially when you aren't told shit how to navigate, open map and that's it. And there you see one big planet where you just lift off from, there are some labels on buttons, since you should press B, there is label "long press" which kicks you out to ship. I oversee ui works of others currently and it just feels some amateurish.

It has none of the charm and charisma of Fallout games, while being at around same junk as Bethesda Fallouts (and I admit that I played shitton of F4, I love that game), its just annoying.

When I stumbled upon the new haven or where you meet the Constellation blond chick, whole thing feels old, not necessarily aesthetic, but how it plays and so. I can't really do much, there is huge windows on the tram and I just have to find a way into building and cannot just break the glass and create shortcut. Shit like that. Somewhat I replayed whole Deus Ex Mankind Divided and that shit (I know different genre, but also 1/100 of budget) is so fucking far ahead of the games which we are served. Like the teams are always getting bigger, how the fuck more advance features, more paths in meaningful way aren't included?

Loading, LOAdINGS loadINGS, did I meantioned loading screens, so fucking bad. Almost as bad as forementioned Outer Worlds on fucking Xbox One VCR HDD 5400rpm. Embarrassing.

And then there is shooting, which to me seems like a joke and not just shooting the whole animation system seems broken. The character moves fast, for 30 FPS, its weird to explain, it just makes a long steps and the camera when you spin it around, it is jerky as fuck. So whole this is garbage, Destiny 1 was 9 years ago, also 30 FPS and it was fucking perfect at that time. This is like 30 FPS F4 without VATS, garbage.

Its just all around really disappointing and forgettable experience. I have to say that first 8 hours was better spent on F76 (I played it when it hit gamepass), this is just bad.

I am not depressed, I played a lot of games lately and it helps me to cope with the situation. So its not like anti-gaming depression we all know and love. Its just a mediocre and I would say in certain areas downright bad game. I am not far, but I can only see score dropping. So far at best 5/10, I threw 900CZK out of the window, because FOMO.

I wish you all well
Rest up bud - get well soon

Stuart360

Ok played for 16 hours now.
I dont like the menu's and how clunky they can be. The core gameplay though is everything i wanted, and expected, which was Skyrim/Fallout in space.
I never expected No Man Sky or Star Citizen. In fact before we had the first deep dive, i said on here that i didnt think there would be any flying at all, i expected Mass Effect/KOTOR style pick a planet then cutscene to get there. And to be honest i think most poeple knew we were getting a Bethesda RPG and not Star Cittizen, but of course we have to show conccern that its not SC.

As for the 1000 planets, well its side content, You dont have to do it and i personally would rather that side content was there than not in the game.
I have taken about 20 photos on these worlds, which has some beautiful atmospheric backdrops to take some awesome pics. Its been relaxing as hell just walking around a bit and taking in the sights. I have also found some cool bases on them with some nice loot and tons of money. But again, you dont have to touch those planets if you dont want to, like most side content in games.

If you are after another Elder Scrolls or Fallout, this is the game. If you want another No Mans Sky or Star Citizen, this isnt it.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Will there be a user review thread? I think at this point the most exciting thing for this will be user review. Doubt anyone that bought the standard edition is even excited at playing this game anymore. Certainly more comments and interaction for user review thread than official OT.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
9LxHHr9.png

My five cents, with 12.5 hours of playtime I think it's fair to give some impressions. Might be a bit of a rant because I have a lot of feelings right now.

The more I play this the more its fundamentally flawed structure becomes apparent. It is both overwhelming and deeply unsatisfying. There are just so many mindbogglingly weird or straight up bad design decisions there's a chance this game will go down the MGSV route of incredible potential completely squandered by baffling design.

This game is the anti-immersive sim.

Some things that are just insane to me:

- There is no exploration. No adventure, no sense of wonder. You go in a menu, you press a button and you fast travel via a loading screen. Flying around in space is unrewarding and useless. You don't descend on a planet, you cannot fly around on a planet. Or otherwise move around on a planet. The tile based procedurally generated areas are terrible. I landed on the moon facing Earth because I wanted to see the sights and it just rendered some random area. Earth wasn't even in view. There was a mission where I had to save a dude from a crashed ship. I was on another planet in another system, I went into the menu, selected his location, clicked to go there, I got a loading screen and it literally spawned me right next to the guy with my ship 500 meters away. No travel cinematic, no landing sequence, it instantly warped me to a completely different system next to the objective. Just dreadfully bland design.
- The game knows there is no exploration or adventure because it tries to remove travel every way it can. You can fast-travel 500 meters from your ship and be in a completely different system one loading screen later. There's no feeling of being a part of the universe, everything feels extremely videogame-y. You can literally fast-travel to the front door of the Lodge from another system.
- New Atlantis' techno utopia seems impressive at first but after the initial "ooh" and "aah" wears off it is an incredibly badly designed area. It is immense, cumbersome to navigate (no map, lmao. How do you have this huge hub area and no map), has zero redeeming qualities other than nice vistas and on a meta level has terrible technical performance with framerates going from 50 to 20.
- The dialogue system is terrible and feels like I'm playing Skyrim, only not in a good way. The way the camera is positioned, the hard cuts to people talking, the bizarre way companions look straight at you even when talking to someone else. It's a system from two generations ago with almost zero improvements. When you're in space and another ship hails you, it zooms in on the ship as if the ship is talking, lmao. Would it really kill you to add a screen to the cockpit where you see someone else talking to you? This game was in development for like 8 years, for fucks sake. Where's the immersion? I just don't understand how this happens.
- Literally every mission is a fetch quest. You go somewhere, flip a switch or shoot the place up, get some info or talk to someone to get a new location, rinse and repeat. Aggressively mediocre game design.
- The way it dunks sidequests on you is hilarious. Literally every quest in New Atlantis is some random asshole walking up to me saying "hey man I heard this lady from the bar say some dumb shit but I don't care, you know how it is" and then you get a prompt to go talk to the lady. I mean, what? I just landed on this planet, I don't know any of you. What the fuck are you talking about? Every time it's "random npc conveniently says something about a situation completely unrelated to you or anything that's happening" -> "go check out this situation". Again, archaic design.

The "NASA-punk" aesthetics are amazing. The style of the game is incredibly well done. It feels futuristic yet contemporary. The music is good but forgettable. The voice acting is solid, albeit a bit over the top at times. Combat is decent.

There are a lot of mechanics in place that give an illusion of depth, but there really isn't any. You fast-travel from location to location, one destination to another. The travel in between is completely removed.

It feels like I'm playing a game that should've been released 8 years ago. This doesn't feel good, man. Imagine playing Skyrim and your only option was to fast travel from objective to objective. If you remove the journey, how much of the game is actually left, truly?

oji-san

Banned

I wish you all well
Feel better soon mate, this things can happen, i paid $70 for GoW Ragnarok and ended up disappointed with the plot and it wasn't worth the price to me, some games i bought like AC Origins i paid $50 for the gold edition and didn't click with the game for years.. gladly i did eventually. A bit a shame since you had the option of geting it on Game Pass, maybe for future it will be a good idea.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess I'll continue to wait for Squadron 42, then....
You joke, but let's not pretend that this game we received was the game we all expected, that this wasn't hyped to the moon to be the generation defining space sim RPG to blow all those other space exploration games away last gen. Those threads still exist on here.

We all know damned well we did not receive what was overhyped prior. Todd the Han Solo Simulator and Explore The Entire Planet Hines which prompted people to shove in the face that you can walk around a whole planet when people said "no way." You can't even explore what boxed in space is given to you. Those skeptics were right in the end.

All we heard repeated from hypesters on here was, "scope scope scope" and we actually got "load load load."

Time to retire this engine.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Weird that everyone is speaking about IGN and Gamespot's 7s when a reviewer gave it a damn 50.

I've played a lot of bad games in my time and I wouldn't even rate them a 50. To call Starfield a 50 is blacklist-worthy

It's one thing to see one of two reviewers giving low scores for clout, it's another to see big outlets giving average scores and seeing the reactions on early access.

Feel better soon mate, this things can happen, i paid $70 for GoW Ragnarok and ended up disappointed with the plot and it wasn't worth the price to me, some games i bought like AC Origins i paid $50 for the gold edition and didn't click with the game for years.. gladly i did eventually. A bit a shame since you had the option of geting it on Game Pass, maybe for future it will be a good idea.

At least you didn't pay $299 for the Colector's Edition and felt disappointed.

bxrz

It's one thing to see one of two reviewers giving low scores for clout, it's another to see big outlets giving average scores and seeing the reactions on early access.

At least you didn't pay $299 for the Colector's Edition and felt disappointed.
A 7 and a 5 are two completely different scores. A 5 is a barely working game. I wouldn't even give Anthem a 5.

Last edited:

EDMIX

It was the bare minimum I expected and would be happy already if it was so. Said it multiple times before but after the trailers, interviews and the hour long presentation, it promised even more beyond just being Fallout in space which is why the result is much more disappointing. It could score 0 and I would eat it up. It's just frustrating that I fell once again from Todd's sweet words.

Truth, I'm ok with what i"m hearing overall as I feel 99% of factually, objectively what they stated, is indeed what this game is.

So long as I can join factions, do RPG stuff, space battles, build ships, board other ships, rob them, assault them in various ways, I'm good lol I think the core concept of what they are marketing is basically what this game is for real, so I don't get the sense I was promised something, that isn't what this game is. Maybe folks thought it would be much more or something, but I kept my feels in check, as this was always going to be a day 1 for me for what Bethesda does best, but I never disregarded that it is Bethesda lol I know it will have bugs, I know it will look dated, but what they do well with NPCs, world building, factions ,guilds and other RPG elements, is enough for the day 1.

bxrz

The game is honestly a 7/10 maybe a 8/10.

It's a good game, it's not fantastic, but it's not terrible either,

Just disappointing.
I'm not talking about that though. I don't care if reviewers scored it a 7/10. I'm talking about the reviewer that gave it a 5/10.

GHG

Gold Member

I wish you all well

Get better soon man.

Hope you find something you can enjoy to play while you're there.

Stuart360

I can't believe we are likely to TESVI around 20 years after Skyrim.
I doubt ES6 will take 8 years. Todd said in one of his interviews that he expects dev time to be much shorter than Starfield due to it being one map and much smaller scope,
Imo it will take 5 years.

bxrz

I doubt ES6 will take 8 years. Todd said in one of his interviews that he expects dev time to be much shorter than Starfield due to it being one map and much smaller scope,
Imo it will take 5 years.
And ES6 won't be developed mid-global pandemic.

I think we get it at the end of this gen or start of next gen.

darrylgorn

It would be nice if they actually improved the important stuff, like UI, inventory management and character animations/camera perspective during dialogue.

There are certain things about this game, mechanically and systemically, that are absolutely inexcusable in this fine year of 2023.

Last edited:
Top Bottom