• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting today you can import some of your Steam games into your GOG library

So does this only detect installed games or something? Saying I have no games found yet I have several that are eligible.
I think it might be that your profile is set to Private, I suppose that's why it gave me an error. I know account net value calculator websites and such need your profile to be public to see a list of your games, perhaps GOG uses a similar method.

Regginator

sigh i still get the same error, but this time it says no eligible games are found but i do have shadowrun returns, vvvvv, saints row 2, and to the moon in my steam library, and my profile is set on public.

first it says it's searching for them:
ACCOUNTS CONNECTED

Looking for eligible games...

but after waiting a minute or two it says:
OOPS, SOMETHING WENT WRONG.

Please try again.

tioslash

I think it might be that your profile is set to Private, I suppose that's why it gave me an error. I know account net value calculator websites and such need your profile to be public to see a list of your games, perhaps GOG uses a similar method.

Don´t think that´s the case. At least not here. My Steam profile is set to Public and I have several games eligible on my library, yet GOG says "No eligible games found".

ghostjoke

Banned
But what if GOG goes down?
Still gotta download them off the server, and Steams offline mode works fine.

You can keep the GOG installers. Save them to discs or something if you don't have room on hard drive. Plus the versions on torrent sites are 1:1 to the versions on GOG for extreme cases. It's more future proof than Steam.

Justinh

Sweet, it finally worked for me

earlier
5spghFe.jpg
now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AHAHAHAHAHA.

I suggested this about two years ago in an e-mail to them when they were allowing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CD-keys to transfer.

<3 you GoG.

Coreda

But what if GOG goes down?
Still gotta download them off the server, and Steams offline mode works fine.

It's not analogous. Steam's offline mode only works once you've downloaded the game. If you've already downloaded the game from GOG you have it forever and don't need GOG for anything past that point.

The Galaxy client is purely optional. I'm starting to buy all my new purchases from GOG for the reason that it's mine to do with as I like and I can control the updates (and rollback), unlike Steam which doesn't even give the user the option with it's 'update or you can't play the game' attitude.

MUnited83

For you.
It's not analogous. Steam's offline mode only works once you've downloaded the game. If you've already downloaded the game from GOG you have it forever and don't need GOG for anything past that point.

The same is true for any of the DRM-free games released on Steam though.

Pheace

Time to play the fixed GOG version of Saints Row 2 which never made it to Steam!

From what I remember you're still better off using the Gentlemen of the Row mod than use GOG's 'fixed' version as it still had issues. Think it works on both though.

Coreda

In those cases it's up to the individual. On the GOG side: control of updates, installers, rollback, extras; while on Steam: community, existing library, cloud saves, pretty much.

And I realised I have more games on GOG than on Steam... Well, at least I can transfer Bit.Trip Runner once the service becomes functional for me.

With GOG, you don't need a client for that (you don't really need it for anything but online multiplayer in very selected games) - all installation files can be downloaded straight from the web site.

Same here. I take it that GOG's servers might be a little overloaded right now.
I don't think it's on GoG's end. It keeps saying that it can't connect to Steam's servers right now, try again later. Seems like it's either Steam itself blocking the request or whatever script page thingy GoG is going through to connect to Steam is going down.

CTLance

So all my double dipping now comes back to bite me in the ass.

Well, not really, but it feels like it, just a tiny bit. So much (retroactively!) wasted money. Heh.

Damn good showing from gog, as expected of my favourite store.

I don't think it's on GoG's end. It keeps saying that it can't connect to Steam's servers right now, try again later. Seems like it's either Steam itself blocking the request or whatever script page thingy GoG is going through to connect to Steam is going down.

Makes sense.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
You can keep the GOG installers. Save them to discs or something if you don't have room on hard drive. Plus the versions on torrent sites are 1:1 to the versions on GOG for extreme cases. It's more future proof than Steam.

Hit the nail! It is basically like owning the game rather than having a license.

Arulan

Wow. This is incredible. GOG continues to be a shining example of a storefront/client that adds something of value alongside Steam, unlike many other competitors.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Was hoping Witcher 3 would have made it, like the first 2 games.

Oh weird, they already anticipated people buy games on Steam, linking on GOG and then refunding on Steam. lol

From the FAQ on the gog.com/connect page they reserve the right to remove games in such cases. Though if you've downloaded them in the mean time there's likely nothing they can do since it's DRM free.

It's a goodwill gesture and service promotion more than anything.

Hopefully it's a quick fix in the steam api because this will DEFINITELY be abused.

Can't get the accounts to sync either, can't reach steam servers. Doesn't show my steam account either, avatar is blank and still has the sign in through steam bit even though it says they are connected. I'm on mobile though

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
OK, they're getting hammered right now :(

Doesn't help that my account isn't the smallest I suppose!

alex_myth

Banned
Still doesn't worf for me. "WE COULDN'T REACH THE STEAM SERVICE RIGHT NOW.
Please try again later." for about an hour now. My profile is public, I don't know what's wrong.

Hopefully it will be something like Steam not showing the game as available to GOG until it is no longer refundable.

Thing is that the refund period is 2 weeks if you haven't played it, and from this thread it looks like most games are only redeemable for a few days.

Regginator

From the FAQ on the gog.com/connect page they reserve the right to remove games in such cases. Though if you've downloaded them in the mean time there's likely nothing they can do since it's DRM free.

It's a goodwill gesture and service promotion more than anything.

they can delete it from your account and thus restrict you from downloading it again through gog servers. but the damage would probably be already done at that point, you'd have a "free" game. buying it from steam, use this gog connect to claim a drm-free version, refund it from steam.

Mohasus

So I went from

WE COULDN'T REACH THE STEAM SERVICE RIGHT NOW.
to
ACCOUNTS CONNECTED
to
NO ELIGIBLE GAMES FOUND

:(

Games I have: Bit.Trip Runner, Braid, FTL (Normal edition), Saints Row 2, To The Moon, Trine, Unreal Gold, Unreal Tournament GOTY, VVVVVV.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hopefully it's a quick fix in the steam api because this will DEFINITELY be abused.

Can't get the accounts to sync either, can't reach steam servers. Doesn't show my steam account either, avatar is blank and still has the sign in through steam bit even though it says they are connected. I'm on mobile though
Why would Valve fix something that benefits GOG though?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why do you think that? If you wanted to steal the games, I'm sure you can find them on file sharing sites fairly easily. It's more trouble to pay for a game, unlock it, and then refund it than it is to just go download it from somewhere.

shandy706

I wonder if having a larger library bogs it down?

Some have hundreds (myself) of games on Steam.

Others have thousands!

How many games do those that are having trouble have?

Not bad.

Trying it at the moment, it seems to keep failing out but I'll keep trying, if only to get the working copy of SR2 (the GOG-updated version is still not available from Steam, right?)

Top Bottom