• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
abSCb1p.png
What a sad sad life you must have xD

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have a XB and great PC, but this just looks half baked. Forget the bugs, its the repetitive nature, boring maps and repeating buildings that are a red flag. I really want to fire up Dying Light again to get my zombie itch scratched.

It was an easy 7/10 prediction to make based on the preview videos. $30 is a good price for it though. $60 like SoT is much worse, shame on MS.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
The main difference in not about quantity but impact , just Bloodborne and Horizont on PS4 are more known than most of MS new IPs.

I personally like Ori, Sea of thieves and Cuphead. But games like Recore , Sunset , Quantum did no had the impact needed to get a second game or become a series. Meanwhile soon or later Bloodborne and Horizont will get new releases.

MS needs smething like TLOU , God of War, Horizont, etc...they should buy Silent Hill from Konami or develop a solid single player experience , let's see what they this E3.
They don't need anything like Sony games. They need their own. All of the Big 3 have different games on offer. Microsoft has their own. I'm sire there'll be plenty more announced come E3 though.

B_Signal

Well compare that list to the one i posted above. There really isn't that big of a difference - quality yes, general numbers no. So I guess Sony's library is sparse too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not all the games exclusive to Sony's platform though, nowhere near. Personally I don't think the library on Xbox is light, it gets most games. The exclusives might be multiple Forza games and some less than great games over the last few years, but you're still getting most of the 3rd party stuff.

The problem Microsoft have always had is the type of games they don't attract to the system. With the 360 they got away with it because it was so popular, now the Xbox only sells in a handful of countries it doesn't get Japanese games, and developers can afford to put games out on PS4 and pc and not worry too much about lost sales.

Basically what I'm saying is, your list includes Nier, Yakuza, Persona, Ni No Kuni etc but in terms of mindshare and column inches it seems like people are talking about Playstation games in a way they only do sporadically about Xbox (PUBG was a good example and Sea of Thieves)

Also the WiiU was a bad console. I'm not saying I had no fun with mine, it had some great games, but it was slow, buggy, and missing features at launch. I think people forget how unimpressive it was and how little people cared at release. Shows how good some of the games were that people will positively about it

Last edited:

Caio

Im so disappointed. I was waiting for this game and I really like the concept, but the final result is what it is; sounds like a rushed game.

That's not all the games exclusive to Sony's platform though, nowhere near. Personally I don't think the library on Xbox is light, it gets most games. The exclusives might be multiple Forza games and some less than great games over the last few years, but you're still getting most of the 3rd party stuff.

The problem Microsoft have always had is the type of games they don't attract to the system. With the 360 they got away with it because it was so popular, now the Xbox only sells in a handful of countries it doesn't get Japanese games, and developers can afford to put games out on PS4 and pc and not worry too much about lost sales.

Basically what I'm saying is, your list includes Nier, Yakuza, Persona, Ni No Kuni etc but in terms of mindshare and column inches it seems like people are talking about Playstation games in a way they only do sporadically about Xbox (PUBG was a good example and Sea of Thieves)

Also the WiiU was a bad console. I'm not saying I had no fun with mine, it had some great games, but it was slow, buggy, and missing features at launch. I think people forget how unimpressive it was and how little people cared at release. Shows how good some of the games were that people will positively about it
I knew I was missing some Sony games, but I posted what i knew and also what I could find. In that other thread i was trying to keep track of posts of games I missed, but I've lost track.

I did come in on the wii u late. So that is probably why I don't recall it being so buggy. Though, I loved a lot of the games on the wii u. I even liked the wii u better than the wii, personally. But you are right about the mind set of the ps4. Everyone knows it has more games and more quality games, but the perception is that it has double ore more the exclusives of the xbox one. Which is where i get exasperated. Anyway, I've derailed this review thread quite a bit, so i'll go lurk in another thread lol.

Iced Arcade

Sounds like if you like the 1st game you will like this and has some minor issues that can and will most likely be fixed.

at least you can tell the game is doing something right when this and the other state of decay thread have been on the front page the whole time and full of people combating and trying to discredit a game of a system they don't own.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’m listening to the latest Game Informer podcast and they talk about the game. They’ve been enjoying it, but are frustrated by the bugs in the game and some of these bugs they describe...wow.

Definitely sounds like the game was forced out the door unfinished. Makes me wonder if MS pulled the old “we don’t care if it’s finished or not, release what you have.”. It will be interesting to read a future interview with the developer about the circumstances of development.

Gavon West

Im so disappointed. I was waiting for this game and I really like the concept, but the final result is what it is; sounds like a rushed game.
Frankly, you should try the game. Do GP. Don't allow others to tell you what to like. People are playing it now and loving the hell out of it! There are some complaints about bugs, but not nearly as bad as the reviewers made it out to be.

Gavon West

I have a XB and great PC, but this just looks half baked. Forget the bugs, its the repetitive nature, boring maps and repeating buildings that are a red flag. I really want to fire up Dying Light again to get my zombie itch scratched.

It was an easy 7/10 prediction to make based on the preview videos. $30 is a good price for it though. $60 like SoT is much worse, shame on MS.
Doesn't sound like you were interested in the game to start. Harsh judgments from someone who hasn't even played it. Typical...

Gavon West

Sounds like if you like the 1st game you will like this and has some minor issues that can and will most likely be fixed.

at least you can tell the game is doing something right when this and the other state of decay thread have been on the front page the whole time and full of people combating and trying to discredit a game of a system they don't own.
Seriously.

Seventy5

I loved the first game despite the jank, I'm sure when I pick up a new 1S I will love this one too. Not sure why this is a console war pissing contest or a gloat-fest, not every game is for everybody. SoT was garbage, but other than meta scores, it has nothing in common with SoD2.

TLDR: SoD may not be for you. Let people who dig it have their fun.

DavidGzz

Yeah, I liked the first a lot and this one is better in every way plus it has co-op. No brainer if you enjoyed the first.

Calibos

Played quite a bit more through the weekend. The more I play, the more I like it.

Permanent death, Weapon degradation, stamina depletion, personality traits, rival factions, weapon modding, character progression, community leader system, base building and relocation, scavenging, scouting and expanding your community and the list goes on...

It’s a great survival game so far, and it can be played co-op with 3 friends, which I will start tomorrow night, but one of my co-workers has 30 hours in already in 4 player and has said that it has been an “awesome” time.

What I would like to know is if the game was patched at some point? I am through 7 hours on the X and haven’t had the “massive” bugs and glitches seen in the reviews. My coworker with the 30 co-op hours didn’t mention them either?

What’s everyone’s experience been like?

TimFL

Played quite a bit more through the weekend. The more I play, the more I like it.

Permanent death, Weapon degradation, stamina depletion, personality traits, rival factions, weapon modding, character progression, community leader system, base building and relocation, scavenging, scouting and expanding your community and the list goes on...

It’s a great survival game so far, and it can be played co-op with 3 friends, which I will start tomorrow night, but one of my co-workers has 30 hours in already in 4 player and has said that it has been an “awesome” time.

What I would like to know is if the game was patched at some point? I am through 7 hours on the X and haven’t had the “massive” bugs and glitches seen in the reviews. My coworker with the 30 co-op hours didn’t mention them either?

Running this game on W10 (i7 6700k, GTX1080ti, 32GB DDR4 @ 2,8Ghz) and it stutters to hell and back. Ports for their networking process are open (that was 5FPS stutter fest until I realized my firewall was blocking a network process), changing settings to low doesn't help either.
Does the MS Store offer refunds? Because it's plain broken here and I kinda feel ripped off. I'm at the point where I consider buying a XB1X just to get an enjoyable experience with the game.

Last edited:

Caio

Frankly, you should try the game. Do GP. Don't allow others to tell you what to like. People are playing it now and loving the hell out of it! There are some complaints about bugs, but not nearly as bad as the reviewers made it out to be.

I'm considering to buy an XBox OneX; maybe I might wait the Game is patched.

Calibos

Running this game on W10 (i7 6700k, GTX1080ti, 32GB DDR4 @ 2,8Ghz) and it stutters to hell and back. Ports for their networking process are open (that was 5FPS stutter fest until I realized my firewall was blocking a network process), changing settings to low doesn't help either.
Does the MS Store offer refunds? Because it's plain broken here and I kinda feel ripped off. I'm at the point where I consider buying a XB1X just to get an enjoyable experience with the game.

Saw this yesterday
  • "Error code 6" PC connectivity issue. Follow the Windows Firewall fixes here as a workaround.

https://www.windowscentral.com/state-decay-2-known-bugs-and-launch-issues

https://support.xbox.com/en-ZA/xbox-on-windows/social/server-connectivity-xbox-app-displays-blocked

I still don't understand how MS intends to make the Windows Store "the" place to go for games when it still sucks ass. The Sea of Thieves debacle and now something like this...come on MS, we are all trying to like your games here.

DavidGzz

Played for a good 10 hours or so, the only glitches I've seen are a temporary glitch where I am unable to run. I am only able to walk or jog if I press the sprint button even when I am not encumbered. Also, guess I hit a bloater(vile gas dudes) with my vehicle even though nothing was on the road. I read about that happening to someone else. Anyway, the game is a blast. I almost lost one of my starting characters to blood plague but got to him in time with the cure. Seemed like I was cutting it close. Felt pretty rewarding.

Gavon West

There's been a surprising difference between what reviewers have said, and what gamers are experiencing. There has been some reports of bugs, yes. But not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. And certainly, not even remotely is it a title that should've released on Early Access. That's a ridiculous statement.

Otherwise, people are having a blast playing it. I've watched a few streams and it looks great, it looks fun and it looks to be a significant improvement over the first. What more could you ask for?

... Aside from a patch or two to fix the current bugs. Those are on the way according to UL. lol

Calibos

There's been a surprising difference between what reviewers have said, and what gamers are experiencing. There has been some reports of bugs, yes. But not nearly as bad as it was made out to be. And certainly, not even remotely is it a title that should've released on Early Access. That's a ridiculous statement.

Otherwise, people are having a blast playing it. I've watched a few streams and it looks great, it looks fun and it looks to be a significant improvement over the first. What more could you ask for?

... Aside from a patch or two to fix the current bugs. Those are on the way according to UL. lol

Agreed. I think the Reviewers are a bit off on this one. Perhaps reviewing their expectations? I am not saying the game is a 10 or anything, but it IS objectively better than the first in every category and makes some great additions to boot.

Having only played 7 hours or so, I can't pass a huge judgement on it, but I have greatly enjoyed what's on offer. Just like the first game, I can see it as catching on with word of mouth and being bigger as time goes on especially with the developers updating and adding to it.

Gavon West

I suspect this one will sell well, too. Probably an MS franchise with a bit more sales. Damn the haters! Play the game and see fo yo self!

https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/17/state-decay-2-review-bugs-vs-zombies-7553098/

4/10

"The State Of Decay concept still holds plenty of promise but this sequel is so broken that laughing at its bugs and glitches becomes its primary source of entertainment."

"The graphics are terrible, the artificial intelligence is almost non-existent, and it’s so full of bugs it’s like visiting the insect house at London Zoo."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-open-world-loot-em-up-with-catastrophic-bugs

Avoid, which is a rare thing from Eurogamer. I mean Eurogamer hardly tells you to avoid a game, so it seems SOD2 really did that reviewer in. Meta sees an Avoid as a 3/10...

"Technically shambolic, obsessed with hoarding, and a waste of a once-promising society simulation."

"Survivors aren't appealing to the eye - they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men"

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/state-of-decay-2-review-the-limping-dead/1900-6416913/

5/10

"Perhaps if State of Decay 2 had the kind of depth that drew you in, these technical faults would be easier to overlook. But it’s because of the lack of meaningful motivations that they stick out so predominantly. State of Decay 2 settles into a rhythm that might be easy for you to pass some hours with, but it’s never a ride with genuine surprises, excitement or purpose. There’s promise in so many systems that it introduces, but they’re woefully underutilized to make space for repetitive activities that are nowhere near as exciting to engage with. State of Decay 2 feels like the lumbering enemies that populate its country mountains. Aimless, wandering, and just out of place."

FWIW, the only problem with the game is not just the bugs, many reviewers cite lack of depth, repetitive scavenging, bad graphics, animation and A.I, and of course, underdeveloped gameplay mechanisms as part of the problem..... So whether this game is going to be engaging past the first week is highly unlikely.....

. lol That agenda you lug around is so transparently obvious. Holy Christ, man, give it a rest.

It is pretty sparse but the majority of exclusives it does have are excellent, highly rated games that at the end of the day you can only play those on that box (which is why I own a PS4 and not an Xbox One).

I don't have an allegiance to any console, I bailed on consoles being my primary platform in ~2009 (I was an Xbox guy that gen). I just call 'em like I see 'em.

I have nothing against playing a console game on my PC, my Dualshock 4 hooked up to my PC gets used a ton.

Or, you could own all of the above like my household. I get budgetary and time constraints, but people often overstate the cost problem like buying all available options is akin to purchasing a house or somethin. It's $250-$500 per console. Buying a PS4 AND Xbox One is a stretch for many, yes. But we're not talking about buying a Ferrari. Lol

Back on topic, the console warriorz bullshit needs to stop. This game is seriously awesome, despite the supposed bugs (which seem to have been over-stated by various reviewers). I've played a solid 18 hours already and the only bugs I've experienced are one clipping bug where a horde got stuck in a giant boulder (actually pretty funny if u know the context...both my characters were in rough shape and would've likely died if not saved by a boulder lol ) and general UI glitches. The game is a big improvement over the original in every way, even in an unpolished state. This is a niche franchise. The gameplay loop and premise aren't going to appeal to everyone. But it scratches an itch that no other title on the market can touch. The original was my personal game of last gen and still a favorite on PC and Xbone. And this one is better, warts and all. If you liked the OG you'll love this one. If it's not for you no biggie. Play something else. Why people waste time trying to tear down a game on a system they don't own and never intend to buy is mind boggling. lol

Last edited:

-MD-

Or, you could own all of the above like my household. I get budgetary and time constraints, but people often overstate the cost problem like buying all available options is akin to purchasing a house or somethin. It's $250-$500 per console. Buying a PS4 AND Xbox One is a stretch for many, yes. But we're not talking about buying a Ferrari. Lol

I already have a PC though, why would I waste my money on an Xbox?

Thinking to buy the thicc xbox one for this but i wonder if its really worth it to own the older version of the console (used one as well). One the fence really, but i know i will enjoy this game but i wonder if there is noise issues or anything that i should be worried about the console itself.

Pantz

Did this game install itself automatically for anyone else? I was going to download it and found it was already installed.

zeorhymer

I was playing a little of it last night and I expected it to be like the previous iteration, but with a more expanded base building and follower interaction. I got what I was expecting for. I think it's a fun "Walking Dead" simulator without being Walking Dead.

Seventy5

I was playing a little of it last night and I expected it to be like the previous iteration, but with a more expanded base building and follower interaction. I got what I was expecting for. I think it's a fun "Walking Dead" simulator without being Walking Dead.

Same. It's a better game than the first, enough added depth for me, and it looks better. There is some jank, but it's fine. I just got a new XB1 this morning to play this and I'm happy with it (I had an XB1 til a few weeks ago, traded it to get a new one) and I think I'm going to buy it instead of just using game pass. Thumbs up from me, and I haven't even played co-op yet.

-MD-

I think you see everything the game has to offer within the first 5 hours, haven't run into anything new since then and we're on hour 20.

Ah well, I'll play for another night or two, the cars are by far the best part. Decent little coop game (though the coop implementation is trash), I'd give it a 6/10.

Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone pay more than $20 for this.

EBE

I'm just disappointed at the game having less story hooks than the first. Hearing that at least one character from that game (Lily) appears here is some nice continuity though. Appreciated.

Halo0629

Looks like the game is still a bit rough judging from the comments here. I'll probably just wait when this game goes to steam with the patches and all.

demigod

Looking at the trailer i figured this game was going to be in the 78-82, how the hell did it barely beat sea of thieves in opencritic? It seems to have more content and half the price. I’m guessing the bugs had a lot to do with it.

Never played state of decay 1 but it seems like my type of game. I’ll get this when it hits steam, not touching windows store.

Dlacy13g

Brad Shoemaker on Giantbomb this week perfectly described how I feel about this game. Yes there are some bugs here and there but the overall experience is pretty great despite those the occasional hiccup. Can't get enough.

Seventy5

Brad Shoemaker on Giantbomb this week perfectly described how I feel about this game. Yes there are some bugs here and there but the overall experience is pretty great despite those the occasional hiccup. Can't get enough.
Pretty much this. I think people who liked the last one will eat this up.

My only real gripe is the HDR or bloom or whatever makes white objects outside sear my eyeballs. Also, the lens flare is square on a normal XB1, lol.

-MD-

This game needs a hard mode with more threatening enemies or something, any/all challenge goes out the window once you can craft some basic items/ammo.

Plague hearts are probably the most dangerous thing in the game and all it takes to down one is a few molotovs and a handful of bullets.

EBE

This game needs a hard mode with more threatening enemies or something, any/all challenge goes out the window once you can craft some basic items/ammo.

Plague hearts are probably the most dangerous thing in the game and all it takes to down one is a few molotovs and a handful of bullets.
Hopefully something like the survival dlc the first game had. I also really enjoyed Lifeline, the city/military themed dlc

Game review thread turns into console exclusives war...

At first I thought the game was too easy. Then I ventured across the map to help a survivor. Things went South real quick. Me and my wingman tried helping a survivor find his friend. Pull up the the house and see tons of zombies. Guy from my camp gets overrun and killed, ffuuuuuu. And the other guy died inside the house. To make matters worse I wrecked my car trying to run over the horde. Now I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, alone and without transportation. It's moments like where the game truly shines.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

As the days pass and if you decide to move towns instead of completing your leader's legacy it gets much more challenging. That's how they incorporated the Breakdown dlc and escalating challenge from the first game into the second. I suspect right now people are just completing their legacy archetype rewards and starting over after day 3. The end game is now that you've filled out your archetype rewards, moving between the 3 maps and seeing how long you can survive.

In the first game with the Breakdown dlc, the first map was actually a lot easier than the main campaign. It actually didn't match it until you reset after 2 or 3 times.

I wish I had a screenshot, but my base was overrun by a couple Juggernauts, 1 feral, and 6 screamers and a bunch of regular zombies at day 9 as I was trying to complete my builder legacy. I didn't lose anyone, but they were all significantly hurt and I was running low on meds.

-MD-

As the days pass and if you decide to move towns instead of completing your leader's legacy it gets much more challenging. That's how they incorporated the Breakdown dlc and escalating challenge from the first game into the second. I suspect right now people are just completing their legacy archetype rewards and starting over after day 3. The end game is now that you've filled out your archetype rewards, moving between the 3 maps and seeing how long you can survive.

In the first game with the Breakdown dlc, the first map was actually a lot easier than the main campaign. It actually didn't match it until you reset after 2 or 3 times.

I wish I had a screenshot, but my base was overrun by a couple Juggernauts, 1 feral, and 6 screamers and a bunch of regular zombies at day 9 as I was trying to complete my builder legacy. I didn't lose anyone, but they were all significantly hurt and I was running low on meds.

Dunno maybe I'm missing something but I'm on day 15 and I get 1-2 dozen zombies and the occasional juggernaut when my base gets attacked, I've still never had to be there to defend it, the AI always handle it and nobody ever dies.

I'm also overloaded on meds, have hundreds of painkillers. I feel like the only way I'll ever die is if I just get careless and run out of stamina in front of 20 enemies or something.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Dunno maybe I'm missing something but I'm on day 15 and I get 1-2 dozen zombies and the occasional juggernaut when my base gets attacked, I've still never had to be there to defend it, the AI always handle it and nobody ever dies.

I'm also overloaded on meds, have hundreds of painkillers. I feel like the only way I'll ever die is if I just get careless and run out of stamina in front of 20 enemies or something.
Are you still on your first map and first playthrough on that save? I'm not sure about the difficulty scaling but my first playthrough was extremely easy and then the second kicked it into high gear near the end as I was trying to finish my builder legacy on day 9.

Top Bottom