• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 Review Thread

highrider

Banned
I really like it for what it is. I would have dialed back the community management aspects, and it definitely isn’t a super polished triple a experience. But it’s an intelligently designed game that is conducive to emergent gameplay that’s varied and entertaining. It has good bones, shooting and mele are fun, traversal feels intuitive. A solid game, game pass is pretty sweet.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
He's got a point though, Xbox currently has no system sellers. All of the Xbox only games have been either mediocre or canceled.
Hard disagree. I'm learning, you have to play Xbox games to find out for yourself, regardless what reviews say. There seems to be this hyper critical negativity when it comes to Xbox games. Seriously, play them for yourself. GP is a great option to do that. And its painless.

iHaunter

Hard disagree. I'm learning, you have to play Xbox games to find out for yourself, regardless what reviews say. There seems to be this hyper critical negativity when it comes to Xbox games. Seriously, play them for yourself. GP is a great option to do that. And its painless.

Hard disagree with some concrete examples please, I'm curious. Not sure what GP is abbreviated for?

EBE

Are you using your flashlight/headlights? I never had a problem seeing at night time.
Yeah man. My tv is calibrated and everything too so it's not a problem there. I just hate how many times I'll be fighting inside a building at night and be swarmed. Can't see shit. Gets even worse the more days you survive because of the added special zombies. I know stealth and all that but it's unavoidable.

On a related note, the first time I built the solar array and had working lights in my base I felt so elated and happy lol

Fuck nighttime.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

Anyone been able to get this unlimited influence glitch to work?

Tried it. Couldn't get it work. Want it. Not ashamed.

Yeah we get it, you have "kick ass computers" in your house, you've let us know that a few times now. You're also the only person in here talking about "console wars" and "PC master race" type shit, repeatedly.

Anyways you're starting to begin and end all of your sentences with "lol", that's an easy way to spot when someone is frustrated and I don't wanna make you anymore upset so we'll leave it at that, I'm not gaining anything from replying anyways.

Thats some dimestore psychoanalyzing right there. Bravo. Or, you know, I could just be laughing at you. I would've been happy to leave it alone after our first exchange, but your outsized ego apparently couldn't handle being called out and you got your panties in a wad. Anywho, like I said (and you copied), we get it...You found true love with your PC and couldn't possibly see yourself cheating on her with an Xbone. :)

Last edited:
Back on Topic: I just noticed SoD2 is downloading a 20.39Gb update/patch on Xbone. Thats pretty sizeable. Googled it, but no info popped up about it yet (It looks like the PC version had a patch a few days ago, but didn't want to assume its the same update). Anyone know what this is?

Krakn3Dfx

Back on Topic: I just noticed SoD2 is downloading a 20.39Gb update/patch on Xbone. Thats pretty sizeable. Googled it, but no info popped up about it yet (It looks like the PC version had a patch a few days ago, but didn't want to assume its the same update). Anyone know what this is?
It's a patch for both platforms that's rolling out today, see here.

EBE

No word on fps cap or motion blur toggle. Better LODs supposedly but I'm not downloading a 20gb patch. This one is going off my hard drive for now. Beat it once, nothing else to see.

Last edited:

-MD-

I honestly don't get how games are bundled. What are they touching that requires us to download the entire bloody game again?

Being able to properly tell if a door is open or closed shouldn't be gigs worth of data on our end.

Yeah, I don't see anything in that list of networking/bug fixes that would warrant a 20gb update.

MMaRsu

Banned
I honestly don't get how games are bundled. What are they touching that requires us to download the entire bloody game again?

Being able to properly tell if a door is open or closed shouldn't be gigs worth of data on our end.

I agree, but it's probably just the data packs that need to be replaced. I take it it's not easy for them just to update a few files.

Alebrije

They don't need anything like Sony games. They need their own. All of the Big 3 have different games on offer. Microsoft has their own. I'm sire there'll be plenty more announced come E3 though.

Yep MS needs thier unique impact exclusive games , they will show something at E3 just hope it’s great because my Xbox X has been dedicated to retrocompability mostly. I am tire of Halos and Gears....

Alebrije

It's one of the few coop games where I'd argue that it's better in single player.

Somebody is always swapping characters, crafting, managing their inventory or some other task while the other person is standing there waiting for them to finish since you can't move more than 500m away from your partner, I feel like you progress 10x faster as a solo player.

Thx it seems could be a good experience once Goty edition comes and price drop.

Alebrije

put in over 25 hours singleplayer so far. It's fun enough. Co op is unnecessary. Once you work out the right strategies a helping hand isn't really needed.

And yeah, the visual difference is night and day but performance is pretty rotten. Year One Survival Edition is much smoother.

Actually, talking about YOSE I would still definitely recommend it to everyone. Has an actual story and more content to boot.

Thx , I Saw Yose pretty cheap will get it and once Goty edition comes to SOD2 will get it.

20 gb patch. I have a 100 gb data cap because i live in some remote village because of work related reasons, i bought an xbone just to play this game, was forced to download the entire game despite of buying a physical copy, and now they drop a 20 gb data. This is unreal.

VAL0R

Banned
Patch 1.2 Highlighted Changes
The 1.2 patch features significant improvements related to:
  • Increased stability
  • Improved networking interactions for clients
  • Improved networked vehicle interactions
  • Elimination of Out Of Memory crashes

Patch 1.2 Highlights
Gameplay
  • Grenades no longer get stuck and explode in front of client character’s face or behind their head while throwing
  • Fixed instances of clients dealing damage to their host’s non-active community members with explosives
  • Flashlight beams no longer cast shadows from the player’s character model (which had caused flickering shadows)
  • Characters no longer “self-shadow” when using a flashlight in multiplayer
  • Fixed issue with doors appearing the opposite of the state they are in
  • Resolved situation where, when getting into vehicles, the camera could become detached from the player’s character
  • Fixed issue where, when clients swap weapons while in vehicles, the weapons do not swap upon exit from vehicle
  • Fixed rare bug that could prevent Warlord legacy arc from being completed
  • Fixed rare bug that could block Sheriff legacy arc from starting
  • Fixed issue where player’s loot sometimes becomes invisible until their entire backpack is deposited into a Supply Locker

Networking and Multiplayer
  • Numerous networking bandwidth and CPU improvements
  • Game now exits to main menu faster when a client loses their internet connection, so players will no longer hang after dismissing the pop-up
  • Improved network vehicle interactions in multiplayer games to address weird “rubber-banding” and physics issues (including cars flying into the air).
  • Host facilities no longer appear invisible to clients during multiplayer

Zombie and Character Behavior
  • Zombies no longer become immune to the Assault Kick
  • Reduction of step height to prevent survivors popping up onto props while moving

HUD
  • Fixed issue with player HUD disappearing after NPCs are executed by zombies
  • Community advice list no longer shows up under vignette on the map

Environment and Collision
  • Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players or vehicles were getting stuck
  • Fixed numerous collision spots across all 3 maps where players were getting stuck in an infinite freefall animation loop
  • Elimination of white line that appears when driving at night time
  • Addressed a variety of spots in world where player was not able to climb over props they should’ve been able to
  • Additional polish and reduction of LOD popping
  • Additional lighting tuning passes, reduction in glowing props

Other Fixes
  • Addressed a variety of general crash bugs
  • Updated a number of strings that were previously hardcoded in English
  • Audio mix optimizations

VAL0R

Banned
  • Flashlight beams no longer cast shadows from the player’s character model (which had caused flickering shadows)
  • Host facilities no longer appear invisible to clients during multiplayer
Nice!

Seventy5

It seems like they increased the frequency of "I have bad news" events. I got two within 20 seconds of each other and another a few minutes later. Why is that even in the game anyway? Doors are fixed though, and overall it sounds way better in my headphones. Not much for a 20GB download, but I'm still playing and having fun.

munroe

Just started playing this and quite enjoying it, not seen any issues so far, though I am playing post patch

TimFL

Is the microstutter fixed? Game was unplayable for me on i7 6700k @ 4,5Ghz, GTX1080ti, 32GB ddr4 @ 2,8Ghz.
Willing to give this a try again having bought the deluxe edition and all, but the stutter has to go. Was even on the fence of buying a XB1X but I heard it doesn‘t run properly on there either?

Grinchy

Banned
This game is just not fun. I've tried really hard to give it a fair shake. I've been playing co-op for around 6-8 hours of playtime.

I think I'd enjoy the loop of going out to gather things to upgrade things if the gameplay itself wasn't so bad and if the game wasn't so janky and buggy. The fighting and shooting mechanics are both just so medicore, and they are the 2 things that should have been nailed down the most since it's the only thing you really do in the game. It just feels unfinished.

A game like this with solid gameplay would be really satisfying.

Last edited:

EBE

It isn't unfinished. That's just really all the work they put in. Which is to say the game is a near carbon copy of the first. All of the supposedly new and 'deeper' rpg/stat mechanics amount to nothing really.

Top Bottom