• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 Review Thread

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think you see everything the game has to offer within the first 5 hours, haven't run into anything new since then and we're on hour 20.

Ah well, I'll play for another night or two, the cars are by far the best part. Decent little coop game (though the coop implementation is trash), I'd give it a 6/10.

Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone pay more than $20 for this.
Strange! No one (not even reviewers..) stated you see everything this game has to offer on five hours. Especially with 3maps and each one being as large as the entire map in SoD1.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Strange! No one (not even reviewers..) stated you see everything this game has to offer on five hours. Especially with 3maps and each one being as large as the entire map in SoD1.
Yes you do. Hell, you see and understand the gameplay loop after 1 hour. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the game, but you're not doing anything drastically different after hour 10 compared to hour 1.

-MD-

No one? Your last post you stated you've been watching streams, have you played the game?

Yes you do. Hell, you see and understand the gameplay loop after 1 hour. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the game, but you're not doing anything drastically different after hour 10 compared to hour 1.

That's two people in this thread alone, strange.

Last edited:
I already have a PC though, why would I waste my money on an Xbox?

Nice drive by shit post. Lol Seriously, it's like u missed the entire point of knocking off the console warriorz stuff. Yeah, I own a couple kick ass PCs in my household...and a PS4...and an Xbone. Not a dime was "wasted". Everything has its purpose. And, although I didn't plan it this way, my Xbones get far more use by everyone in this household than all else combined.

-MD-

Nice drive by shit post. Lol Seriously, it's like u missed the entire point of knocking off the console warriorz stuff. Yeah, I own a couple kick ass PCs in my household...and a PS4...and an Xbone. Not a dime was "wasted". Everything has its purpose. And, although I didn't plan it this way, my Xbones get far more use by everyone in this household than all else combined.

The fuck are you talking about? You popped in to tell everyone to be just like you and own every platform and all I said was no thanks, Xbox is redundant if you own a PC, and that made you upset lol.

I'm shocked your Xbox gets the most attention in your household, I never would've guessed based on your posts.

Last edited:

demigod

What the shit, how is it a drive by when he responded to you. If he has a PC already, why would he need an xbox one now? Sure the windows store sucks, but now he doesn’t have to pay for Live.

VAL0R

Banned
PRO TIP: Automatically put rucksacks and items into your base inventory when you are in one of your bases designated parking spots by pressing right trigger when looking at the item in the trunk.

This was a huge help delivering supplies to my base.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Also, in multiplayer you can use other people's home base features to create items to bring into your world. For example, I jumped into someone's world, used their base to max out my character's mechanic skill and made a bunch of toolboxes and brought both my status increase and items into my world.

Hmm, yeah I've been playing this solo. It's definitely a bit rough. Feels like Terraria, except getting pirate invasions every other night.

Not that that's a bad thing, but damn. I've definitely been putting more time into it than Sea of Thieves. It's easy to put a lot of hours into SoD2 (and get nowhere).

Outrunner

I had this game preordered for a while but then canceled it, haven't tried it yet but will with game pass. At some point I started getting the feeling this wouldn't be the AAA experience I was hoping for on State of Decay 2.

The fuck are you talking about? You popped in to tell everyone to be just like you and own every platform and all I said was no thanks, Xbox is redundant if you own a PC, and that made you upset lol.

I'm shocked your Xbox gets the most attention in your household, I never would've guessed based on your posts.

Lol Someone got triggered. You need to chill out. Your response to me was typical shit-posting about the "uselessness" of Xbox vs the "mighty PC". Nothing insightful. Just the usual PC arrogance on display. Little tip: Other people have PCs *too* and still end up sometimes enjoying console gaming more at times. The fact that YOU think an Xbone doesn't have merit when you own a PC is your opinion, but you act like its a universal truth. That you accuse me of telling others to "be like me" while spewing the usual PC master race crap is hilarious hypocrisy. lol I was merely trying to advise that rather than spend your time bitching about how inferior/useless the Xbox is, you'd get more enjoyment out of just buying one and owning all the options. Or don't. Spend your time complaining on forums, because that's more enjoyable, right? Lol

Last edited:

AngeloB

Neo Member
Tried it using game pass. Uninstalled after round 6-7 hours. It became stale quick and, worse, I hate random events that try to spoil what you're doing (someone at the base destroyed x resources, for example, or cleared areas that become occupied again after a short time).

-MD-

Lol Someone got triggered. You need to chill out. Your response to me was typical shit-posting about the "uselessness" of Xbox vs the "mighty PC". Nothing insightful. Just the usual PC arrogance on display. Little tip: Other people have PCs *too* and still end up sometimes enjoying console gaming more at times. The fact that YOU think an Xbone doesn't have merit when you own a PC is your opinion, but you act like its a universal truth. That you accuse me of telling others to "be like me" while spewing the usual PC master race crap is hilarious hypocrisy. lol I was merely trying to advise that rather than spend your time bitching about how inferior/useless the Xbox is, you'd get more enjoyment out of just buying one and owning all the options. Or don't. Spend your time complaining on forums, because that's more enjoyable, right? Lol

There's really no need to be this upset because somebody doesn't see value in an Xbox if they own a PC.

Triggered indeed.

EBE

I mean, it does get real samey pretty quick. The mild change of scenery doesn't fix that.

I'm just finding myself less motivated to continue the game without a story to carry the mundane actions on. Really wish this had had more of a structured narrative, like the first. As it is it's just the breakdown DLC of the first except it's a looot slower to start. State of Decay 1 plays out much faster than this and it was better off for it.

Also, who agrees the shitty motion blur needs to go? It's awful.

Last edited:
There's really no need to be this upset because somebody doesn't see value in an Xbox if they own a PC.

Triggered indeed.

lol Take a look in the mirror, chief. Literally every response of yours is self-projection. We get it...oooh...you have a PC. Do you want a gold star or a cookie? I have a couple kick ass PCs (you'll probably want to play "mine is bigger than yours" next lol). Still enjoy consoles more sometimes. Just depends. If you weren't so busy on here warrior, you might have time or money to get another console and enjoy them all. :)

I mean, it does get real samey pretty quick. The mild change of scenery doesn't fix that.

I'm just finding myself less motivated to continue the game without a story to carry the mundane actions on. Really wish this had had more of a structured narrative, like the first. As it is it's just the breakdown DLC of the first except it's a looot slower to start. State of Decay 1 plays out much faster than this and it was better off for it.

Also, who agrees the shitty motion blur needs to go? It's awful.

Back on topic, yeah I think even the most ardent fans of this franchise could agree the game in its current state has some issues. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with anything you said here. But, for whatever reasons, the gameplay loop still hooks me in and makes me think about it and want to play it when I'm not.

I think this is a perfect example of a game that for some people is greater than the sum of it's parts...and for others its just an (incomplete) mess. Lol I find myself frustrated by various issues with the game yet can't put it down.

At any rate, I didn't think it was possible but I feel this is even more niche (or less mainstream) than the original, although that may be on accident as I think the devs were trying to go for something more mainstream here and in its current form didn't achieve that. The "streamlining" of the story hooks, for example (which is my biggest complaint about the sequel). Yet, in many other ways its a huge improvement over the original. I guess it boils down to whether or not the gameplay scratches a certain itch. It does that for me in a way that no other title on the market has yet, so despite its flaws I'm really enjoying the game. Still, I do hope UL takes the games current state seriously, fixes the bugs, and expands on the narrative a great deal over time. Regardless of where you stand on this game, there's definitely the "skeleton" of a really cool concept here that deserves to be fleshed out (no pun intended).

Last edited:

-MD-

lol Take a look in the mirror, chief. Literally every response of yours is self-projection. We get it...oooh...you have a PC. Do you want a gold star or a cookie? I have a couple kick ass PCs (you'll probably want to play "mine is bigger than yours" next lol). Still enjoy consoles more sometimes. Just depends. If you weren't so busy on here warrior, you might have time or money to get another console and enjoy them all. :)

Yeah we get it, you have "kick ass computers" in your house, you've let us know that a few times now. You're also the only person in here talking about "console wars" and "PC master race" type shit, repeatedly.

Anyways you're starting to begin and end all of your sentences with "lol", that's an easy way to spot when someone is frustrated and I don't wanna make you anymore upset so we'll leave it at that, I'm not gaining anything from replying anyways.

Seventy5

I was playing on my 1S all day then I bought a 1X, staggering difference. I was enjoying it just fine looking kinda butt, but now it looks pretty good. They really need to give the option to run it at 1080/60, or get it to a solid 30fps at 4K.

Drewpee

Banned
After spending a few hours with the game I am enjoying more than I thought. Definitely some bugs but nothing game breaking.

I think a lot of reviewers didn't really understand the game. For example, I remembering reading a review that complained about needing to walk back and forth from the car trunk to put each item in the storage. In reality all you need to do is park in a parking spot and it will let you transport everything at once.

Far from a perfect game, but based on my time with it so far I think the reviews are being overly harsh.

Alebrije

Is the game enjoyable as single payer no coop gameplay? Know the graphics are not great but compared to SOD1 is there a big jump?

iHaunter

First post is a shitpost drive-by.

It's definitely disappointing to see the performance hitches and the co-op bugs driving the games scores down into the 60's. Expectations are still the rule for a game like this. It's $30 or $10 on gamepass and is the only relevant hardcore zombie survival simulation out right now. I am in for that "Walking Dead" fix that ACG talked about in his "funfactor" video and for the fact that the game has base building and permadeath.

I wish MS could get a polished, complete first party game out this year, but it's looking like slim chance of that.
He's got a point though, Xbox currently has no system sellers. All of the Xbox only games have been either mediocre or canceled.

hiphopcr

He's got a point though, Xbox currently has no system sellers. All of the Xbox only games have been either mediocre or canceled.
Ummm... Halo. I go where Halo goes. And Gears. And Titanfall 1 was the best first year game on either system. And Ori and Cuphead are the two best 2D platformers this gen. Forza is the king of racers. We've got unique single player games like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and ReCore. Halo Wars is the only RTS. State of Decay and Sea of Thieves are great with friends. Game Pass. Seriously, Game Pass. EA All Access. Best features and network by far. Backwards compatibility, and Red Dead in 4K.

I feel the Playstation has no system sellers, otherwise I would have bought one. Although that may finally change with Spider-Man.

hiphopcr

But I came here to say I'm shocked at State of Decay 2's average scores. I can understand Sea of Thieve's, but State of Decay 2 is rich with systems and emergent gameplay moments and co-op which is a god send. To have scored lower than then the original is incomprehensible. To be included in Game Pass is sublime.

-MD-

But I came here to say I'm shocked at State of Decay 2's average scores. I can understand Sea of Thieve's, but State of Decay 2 is rich with systems and emergent gameplay moments and co-op which is a god send. To have scored lower than then the original is incomprehensible. To be included in Game Pass is sublime.

Honestly a 68 meta is pretty generous considering this is being sold as a $30 game.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'd score SoD 2 80ish and Sea of Thieves 85ish (could go to 90 easily with more dlc content).

Game reviews are not school grades for 2nd graders. Both of these games are average at best, 5/10 it what they should get but since everyone uses the 5-10 scale they both made 7/10.

EBE

Is the game enjoyable as single payer no coop gameplay? Know the graphics are not great but compared to SOD1 is there a big jump?
put in over 25 hours singleplayer so far. It's fun enough. Co op is unnecessary. Once you work out the right strategies a helping hand isn't really needed.

And yeah, the visual difference is night and day but performance is pretty rotten. Year One Survival Edition is much smoother.

Actually, talking about YOSE I would still definitely recommend it to everyone. Has an actual story and more content to boot.

Last edited:

-MD-

It's one of the few coop games where I'd argue that it's better in single player.

Somebody is always swapping characters, crafting, managing their inventory or some other task while the other person is standing there waiting for them to finish since you can't move more than 500m away from your partner, I feel like you progress 10x faster as a solo player.

Game reviews are not school grades for 2nd graders. Both of these games are average at best, 5/10 it what they should get but since everyone uses the 5-10 scale they both made 7/10.
5/10? Um no. Both games are at least 6-7/10 and I think that's fair. Reviewers need to evaluate the games based on what they're intended to be. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are not single-player, story-driven games. There is a strong emphasis on multiplayer in both games, where interactions between players is what drives the game. You also have to factor in that both games are made with the intention of having more content added. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 will only get better, bug-wise and content-wise.

nowhat

You also have to factor in that both games are made with the intention of having more content added.
Not commenting on this game (or SoT) in particular, but bullshit. A review absolutely cannot factor that in. A review must be based on how the game is at the time of the review, not on some future roadmap that may or may not be completed.

demigod

5/10? Um no. Both games are at least 6-7/10 and I think that's fair. Reviewers need to evaluate the games based on what they're intended to be. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are not single-player, story-driven games. There is a strong emphasis on multiplayer in both games, where interactions between players is what drives the game. You also have to factor in that both games are made with the intention of having more content added. Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 will only get better, bug-wise and content-wise.

Lmao, what. Games ARE on a 5-10 scale. You will rarely see any 1-4 on a 10 point scale. You buy games on the premises that its complete, not what they will add later on. Unless its an early access title. Stop making excuses for your console of choice.

-MD-

There isn't a "strong emphasis" on multiplayer in State of Decay 2, it's a tacked on feature and the guest is simply there to "help" the host gather supplies while having very restricted access to the game's content and essentially putting their own game on pause. Interacting with people matters in SoT since PVP/griefing is 80% of that game's content. SoD2 has no PVP and you can only chat to your party, it's fun to talk to friends but it's not what's driving the game forward.

As far as reviews go, if I had paid $30 or more for this I would give it a 4/10 but since I paid $10 I'd give it a 6/10. And nobody factors in that future content will be added when scoring a game, you score what's in the box not what might come in the future.

Last edited:

Seventy5

I don't think SoD2 has a strong emphasis on multiplayer, it just has multiplayer. There is fun to be had in co-op, but this is primarily a single player game imo.

That being said, since it came out, the only other game I've played is PJ Monsters 2 on PS4, and not even 2 hours of it. I can't get enough SoD2, I have like 25 hours and I've still only played one map. It's an 8.5 for me. 9 when the patch up some of the jank.

For the record, Sea of Thieves is a 3 for me. I had zero fun playing it.

Last edited:

EBE

Just completed my first legacy. 12 in game days. Sheriff archetype.

Anyone know if the new game plus rewards are random or the same every time. Mine was a free rare loot drop every day.

Edit. Nevermind. They're preset. I think I like how SoD Breakdown handled hero characters better

Last edited:

hiphopcr

Not commenting on this game (or SoT) in particular, but bullshit. A review absolutely cannot factor that in. A review must be based on how the game is at the time of the review, not on some future roadmap that may or may not be completed.
I agree with this, but a follow up review score would be fair as well.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I was playing on my 1S all day then I bought a 1X, staggering difference. I was enjoying it just fine looking kinda butt, but now it looks pretty good. They really need to give the option to run it at 1080/60, or get it to a solid 30fps at 4K.
Enjoying the worse framerate?

hiphopcr

Gameplay question; I have is that all my survivors already have 5 skills. I have several books but none of them can learn a new skill cuz they have all 5.

-MD-

Gameplay question; I have is that all my survivors already have 5 skills. I have several books but none of them can learn a new skill cuz they have all 5.

I don't see a question in there but I assume you're asking how you can use the skill book items, you need to recruit someone with 4 skills and teach them the 5th via the item.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's annoying when I notice it, but I haven't noticed it much. The jumpy 30-45 on the S was more noticeable to me. I'm not defending it tho, they need to get it sorted quickly.
I haven't tried the standard version, but I sure notice it on the X. That and the extreme motion blur are making this unplayable foe me right now.

Lmao, what. Games ARE on a 5-10 scale. You will rarely see any 1-4 on a 10 point scale. You buy games on the premises that its complete, not what they will add later on. Unless its an early access title. Stop making excuses for your console of choice.
If that's true, that makes giving SoT and SoD 2 a 5/10 even more ridiculous in my opinion. You have two games, both work, and both provide a good bit of entertainment value. I'm just arguing that neither game are a 5-10, not even close. 5/10 would be for a game that is completely broken, is absolutely no fun and never will be. I said I'd give them at least a 6/10 or a 7/10, and then I mentioned that I think that's a fair score even for reviewers that really didn't like the game they reviewed. But reading responses, I'm seeing a lot of people saying they'd give it less than 5/10, so perhaps I'm not in touch with most gamers lol.
Fair enough. In my mind, especially SoT, the game has/had more-content-coming written all over it, and I think that's a great thing. I guess if I was a reviewer I'd score it higher simply because the potential is there. I mean, even at launch, it was obvious more content was going to be added to the game, but i'll concede i was off base saying reviewers should be able to score higher knowing more content is coming. There is not really a good way to handle that. All you can review is what you have in front of you. So I stand corrected.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If that's true, that makes giving SoT and SoD 2 a 5/10 even more ridiculous in my opinion. You have two games, both work, and both provide a good bit of entertainment value. I'm just arguing that neither game are a 5-10, not even close. 5/10 would be for a game that is completely broken, is absolutely no fun and never will be.

I think you are missing something. We are arguing game reviewers don't use the full 1-10 scale, just 5-10. If 5/10 was average on 1-10, SoT could be a 5. That being said the real scale puts average at 7/10. I recall playing Haze co-op from beginning to end and had a fair time. It got a 55/100 on Metacritic, it was not at all "completely broken" like you say. Reviewers just thought it was derivative. I'd argue SoD2 is closer to being broken, at least in co-op and that should make the score 5/10. Releasing unfinished games (worse than content light) is a sin and should be punished.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

C L A S S I C SHITPOST +3 edge points added

Last edited:

-MD-

C L A S S I C SHITPOST +3 edge points added

Solid post dude, no need to be upset.

Post you're quoting is 3 days old already, next time you wanna jump in for some attention be a bit more timely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom