• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 2 Review Thread

Calibos

Blame MS for marketing these "budget" titles as "exclusive" and major releases.

I suppose. But I don't remember MS ever saying "check out the AAA sequel to State of Decay." I am always looking at expectations...I guess the marketing, the media and influencers all built this game up to be an AAA title, but the reality is way different. It is a very important release for MS and Undead Labs in many respects and should satisfy fans of the series immensely, but the negative internet wave that is washing over it because of expectations is sad.

thelastword

Banned
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/17/state-decay-2-review-bugs-vs-zombies-7553098/

4/10

"The State Of Decay concept still holds plenty of promise but this sequel is so broken that laughing at its bugs and glitches becomes its primary source of entertainment."

"The graphics are terrible, the artificial intelligence is almost non-existent, and it’s so full of bugs it’s like visiting the insect house at London Zoo."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-open-world-loot-em-up-with-catastrophic-bugs

Avoid, which is a rare thing from Eurogamer. I mean Eurogamer hardly tells you to avoid a game, so it seems SOD2 really did that reviewer in. Meta sees an Avoid as a 3/10...

"Technically shambolic, obsessed with hoarding, and a waste of a once-promising society simulation."

"Survivors aren't appealing to the eye - they look like the trackside crowds in Forza and animate like flowerpot men"

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/state-of-decay-2-review-the-limping-dead/1900-6416913/

5/10

"Perhaps if State of Decay 2 had the kind of depth that drew you in, these technical faults would be easier to overlook. But it’s because of the lack of meaningful motivations that they stick out so predominantly. State of Decay 2 settles into a rhythm that might be easy for you to pass some hours with, but it’s never a ride with genuine surprises, excitement or purpose. There’s promise in so many systems that it introduces, but they’re woefully underutilized to make space for repetitive activities that are nowhere near as exciting to engage with. State of Decay 2 feels like the lumbering enemies that populate its country mountains. Aimless, wandering, and just out of place."

FWIW, the only problem with the game is not just the bugs, many reviewers cite lack of depth, repetitive scavenging, bad graphics, animation and A.I, and of course, underdeveloped gameplay mechanisms as part of the problem..... So whether this game is going to be engaging past the first week is highly unlikely.....

Last edited:
This game just isn’t good enough for the amount of time and budget spent on it. It should have been an at least solid 8/10 all day long.

Same with Sea Of Thieves. That game does at least have a great foundation but that’s all it is. By the time they have improved it with DLC it’s too late, people have moved on to the big holiday games.
I'd be curious to know if a lot of money was actually thrown at it. Is there somewhere to find that out? Or is it more of an assumption because MS needs to bump up their 1st party line-up? Also, I need to play it first to make a final opinion. Reviews are great and all but, especially in this case, it sounds like some people will really enjoy the game regardless of the bugs.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Bad? What bad is that, exactly? Surely you aren't talking about games. I'd you don't like the ones on offer, that's a YOU problem. Like, your opinion.

But, yeah. Genuinely. What bad are they doing?

Gavon West

You can have all the fun you want, but if you state it like a fact that "Xbox has continually delivered great multiplayer games", expect to be confronted with reality.
Oh, wow! This comment is SUPER deep! Lol.

And who are you to regulate what he likes and doesn't like? What he enjoys and what he doesn't enjoy? Jesus.. The balls on some of you guys.

WaterAstro

I'd be curious to know if a lot of money was actually thrown at it. Is there somewhere to find that out? Or is it more of an assumption because MS needs to bump up their 1st party line-up? Also, I need to play it first to make a final opinion. Reviews are great and all but, especially in this case, it sounds like some people will really enjoy the game regardless of the bugs.
It's not first party though. They don't own the studio. They just published the Xbox version.

With Microsoft's first party game quality lately the reviews are pretty much exactly where I expected them to be.

I enjoyed the first game and I am sure I will enjoy this one but Microsoft really needs to get their first party library together. Sony and Nintendo have been embarrassing them this entire generation. They have made some strides in hardware, now the software needs to follow up.
I would argue that Nintendo is currently in next gen territory. They rushed to get away from the poorly received and marketed Wii U. So Nintendo has BotW, a game that was supposed to be a Wii U exclusive, delayed to also be a launch title for the Switch. They have Mario Odyssey, a legit new game specifically made for the switch. Upcoming are games like Octopath Traveler, Bayonetta 3, and Metroid Prime 4. Most everything else is either a Wii U port or a 3rd party game. Not that either of those games are bad, but I wouldn't exactly say the Switch is embarrassing anyone. It's selling well, yes, but so do most new consoles when they launch. Also, i still get irked when people act like the xbox has no 1st party line-up. I think it would be more correct to argue that more recently there has been a large gap in releases, but if you look at the total from when the PS4 and Xbox One released, the number of actual exclusives in comparison isn't that far apart: scroll down to post#1830

FWIW, the only problem with the game is not just the bugs, many reviewers cite lack of depth, repetitive scavenging, bad graphics, animation and A.I, and of course, underdeveloped gameplay mechanisms as part of the problem..... So whether this game is going to be engaging past the first week is highly unlikely.....
Rofl your effort is relentless lol. Thank you for your contribution.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I can say with Sea of Thieves I thought the main issue was the price tag, it was a polished early access game. Had they released it at $30-40? Would have been fine, now they are releasing these free expansion sets. That's cool and I'm still interested but my friend's have started moving on. With SoD2? I expected buggy, not sure what folks mean by Microsoft "turning" this into a big release. No, they've put it out the door as an explicitly "budget" title. I have Game Pass and I'll check it out, never played the first -- hopefully it's good if not I'll go back to my PS4 and finally finish Yak0 or I'll fix my gaming PC.... At some point.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Nice cherry picking of reviews that fit your narrative. And I'm laughing at the "repetitive scavenging." That's like criticizing COD for having too much shooting. What do you mean I have to hunt monsters in Monster Hunter!?!?

I'm playing it right now. The graphics are a major improvement over the first, it has better animations, I think you (or whatever critic) pulled the underdeveloped gameplay mechanisms out of your rear, the AI is similar to other open world games as is the jank, and I put in over 300 hours into the first one and this one has expanded on everything. I guarantee you I will be playing way past the first week.

One thing I will agree with is that there are a decent amount of bugs. For instance on the XB1 I've had my UI go haywire just go flashing on and off (which is incredibly distracting especially during night time and you only have your flashlight), on my pc I get these thin horizontal white lines flashing across the screen, the saving seems to be a bit odd when you exit the game, as in I looted a place and returned everything to my base and exited. When I loaded up again, the building was still marked as looted, but it looks like 1/4th of the mats I looted are missing.

So here's my impressions so far after playing for 5 hours: If you loved the first SOD, there's a good chance you're going to love this. If you hated the first, this one isn't going to change your mind. In fact it may make you double down.

So far, I'm having an absolute blast.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The damage control is in full force in this thread. It doesn't matter how you spin it, this game is one of the two Microsoft published games (and heavily marketed) alongside SoT, and it is a critical failure, one might even say embarrassingly so. Like it or not, this is what the Xbox is offering to try and stand apart from the competition and help push Game Pass. Honestly, it seems like they have put more money into marketing the game(s), then they have put towards developing them. I hope the game does get patched, I hope it is fun despite its issues and have every intent to try it on Game Pass as I am already a member. That said, this is just not a good look for Xbox.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not sure it's cherry picking when the average of all outlets is now down to 68.
It is when you quote the specific reviews that are especially incendiary in the writing to try and make your point.

I was expecting 7's based off of the last game and what I saw from 2 leading up to release and from streams earlier this week.

Played it a little on PC - the FOV is WAAAAY to tight, my poor little eyes were going to explode. I never understand games that don't include a FOV option - even on console. Options = money.
How well optimized is it ? Thinking to buy but i have an old gaming laptop. Scared that it will even stutter in low settings.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nice cherry picking of reviews that fit your narrative. And I'm laughing at the "repetitive scavenging." That's like criticizing COD for having too much shooting. What do you mean I have to hunt monsters in Monster Hunter!?!?

I'm playing it right now. The graphics are a major improvement over the first, it has better animations, I think you (or whatever critic) pulled the underdeveloped gameplay mechanisms out of your rear, the AI is similar to other open world games as is the jank, and I put in over 300 hours into the first one and this one has expanded on everything. I guarantee you I will be playing way past the first week.

One thing I will agree with is that there are a decent amount of bugs. For instance on the XB1 I've had my UI go haywire just go flashing on and off (which is incredibly distracting especially during night time and you only have your flashlight), on my pc I get these thin horizontal white lines flashing across the screen, the saving seems to be a bit odd when you exit the game, as in I looted a place and returned everything to my base and exited. When I loaded up again, the building was still marked as looted, but it looks like 1/4th of the mats I looted are missing.

So here's my impressions so far after playing for 5 hours: If you loved the first SOD, there's a good chance you're going to love this. If you hated the first, this one isn't going to change your mind. In fact it may make you double down.

So far, I'm having an absolute blast.

It's not cherry picking when a lot of reviewers talk about the repetitive aspects of this game.

gamerevolution
"- Repetitive gameplay."

criticalhit
"There are fantastic systems, hampered by repetitive and shallow gameplay that ultimately feels pointless"

Thesixthaxis
"The gameplay loop of scavenging, crafting and killing can begin to wear thin, but the human element is capable of pulling you back in. "

xboxachievements"
"For most of my time in State of Decay 2 I found myself just looting and scavenging to survive, with no real driving purpose there to actually make you want to survive. It’s a weird conundrum, but without that sense of achievement or direction, the game suffers as a result.It comes down to you, the player, to weave your own narratives, which can still be a joy, but it doesn’t have the same effect as an overarching narrative."

business.financialpost
"You’ll investigate a neighbourhood, clearing it of zombies and gathering everything of value that you can, then head back home to top up your supplies — only to realize that another key resource stockpile is dwindling and needs attention, which inevitably leads to another supply run. And then another."

A lot of other reviews state the same thing. It's not cherry picking when many reviewer see it as a problem.

You also can't compare it to Call of Duty's shooting because Call of Duty is a competitive multiplayer game.

Hendrick's

business.financialpost
"You’ll investigate a neighbourhood, clearing it of zombies and gathering everything of value that you can, then head back home to top up your supplies — only to realize that another key resource stockpile is dwindling and needs attention, which inevitably leads to another supply run. And then another."
That sounds really awful. I get that it is a survival game and that managing resources is important, but if I need to continually harvest resources so I can harvest more resources, I will fall off this game really quick.

thelastword

Banned
Nice cherry picking of reviews that fit your narrative.
I quoted 3 (three reviews), not one but (3), all pretty much saying the same things. Some even going into more details than others on some finer points and their issues with the game. If there are 10/10 and glowing reviews, surely you can post those and discuss their take...... Some like the Karak review because he likes the game and that's fine, but the majority of reviewers and the aggregate point to a less than stellar effort overall. That in no way should detract you if you're having fun, it's your money and your time. I'm sure some folk loved the tail out of PUBG at sub-par framerates on XBOX or loved SOT for what it was, I'm even sure some people would attest to how fun Superman 64 was...Yet, what we're discussing here are reviews and how it is being received by a wider gamut of folk who played...

At this point, I don't I have to show you bits like "repetitive scavenging and lack of depth and bad graphics, animation and AI" were not obscure takes, if you read the reviews you would know.....What I pointed out was indeed not cherry picked, but was actually something that came up in many reviews even beyond the three reviews I quoted. I mean, even XBOX focused outlets spoke about the repetitive nature of scavenging and hence my remark on how this will get old fast on top of the other negatives mentioned......

At some point, even if you are an XBOX fan, you should realize that condoning games like this; buggy, lack of depth etc.. is not what you want more of on your console, if that's mostly what you're getting and you're satisfied, that's fine, but rest assured, by saying you are having all this fun and you will be playing this for more than a minute, MS may just decide they are servicing their fanbase and will keep on dishing out more of this. MS has been dishing out too many games that either have no depth or are wastefully unpolished. You should also understand that there are a million great games out there and we have finite time and resources. You can't spend your time on games with worse gameplay, worse graphics, worse framerate when in the same genre of openworld online games like these, there are many better experiences out there..........

DryvBy

I didn't like the first one either so no shock here. Microsoft really needs to have a good E3/rest of the year. Their game library right now is thin. Almost Nintendo Switch thin.

Hendrick's

Nintendo Switch doesn't have a lot of games, sorry. It has Wii U ports and old indie games we've had for years.
True, but it does have extremely strong 1st party games and portability, both which make it stand out on its own.

-MD-

Nintendo Switch doesn't have a lot of games, sorry. It has Wii U ports and old indie games we've had for years.

Oh, I skipped that shit console last gen so I'm loving the Switch ports. Lotta games for me.

Hell I'd take BotW by itself over Xbox's sparse library, mix in Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and it's not even close imo.

Gavon West

I quoted 3 (three reviews), not one but (3), all pretty much saying the same things. Some even going into more details than others on some finer points and their issues with the game. If there are 10/10 and glowing reviews, surely you can post those and discuss their take...... Some like the Karak review because he likes the game and that's fine, but the majority of reviewers and the aggregate point to a less than stellar effort overall. That in no way should detract you if you're having fun, it's your money and your time. I'm sure some folk loved the tail out of PUBG at sub-par framerates on XBOX or loved SOT for what it was, I'm even sure some people would attest to how fun Superman 64 was...Yet, what we're discussing here are reviews and how it is being received by a wider gamut of folk who played...

At this point, I don't I have to show you bits like "repetitive scavenging and lack of depth and bad graphics, animation and AI" were not obscure takes, if you read the reviews you would know.....What I pointed out was indeed not cherry picked, but was actually something that came up in many reviews even beyond the three reviews I quoted. I mean, even XBOX focused outlets spoke about the repetitive nature of scavenging and hence my remark on how this will get old fast on top of the other negatives mentioned......

At some point, even if you are an XBOX fan, you should realize that condoning games like this; buggy, lack of depth etc.. is not what you want more of on your console, if that's mostly what you're getting and you're satisfied, that's fine, but rest assured, by saying you are having all this fun and you will be playing this for more than a minute, MS may just decide they are servicing their fanbase and will keep on dishing out more of this. MS has been dishing out too many games that either have no depth or are wastefully unpolished. You should also understand that there are a million great games out there and we have finite time and resources. You can't spend your time on games with worse gameplay, worse graphics, worse framerate when in the same genre of openworld online games like these, there are many better experiences out there..........
Seriously. If you wouldn't display the same kind of disdain on EVERY. SINGLE. XBOX. THREAD, your voice may be heard more frequently. As it stands though, most scroll through your posts like their covered in fungus. Just saying...

How well optimized is it ? Thinking to buy but i have an old gaming laptop. Scared that it will even stutter in low settings.
I thought it ran fine. I had everything cranked to max at 1440p and it seemed locked to 60. I didn't have vsync on (I have gsync) but for some reason it seemed locked. I was going to fiddle with DSR to see how 4k would run, but I ended up refunding. For me, without the ability to adjust the fov, I'd find it hard to continue to play. Just in case you didn't know - you can try/buy the game with the xbox game pass for $10, which you can then cancel at anytime.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought it ran fine. I had everything cranked to max at 1440p and it seemed locked to 60. I didn't have vsync on (I have gsync) but for some reason it seemed locked. I was going to fiddle with DSR to see how 4k would run, but I ended up refunding. For me, without the ability to adjust the fov, I'd find it hard to continue to play. Just in case you didn't know - you can try/buy the game with the xbox game pass for $10, which you can then cancel at anytime.
If you're willing to muck with .ini files, you can tweak things.
Reddit Link

This is a WIP post. Please submit your findings here and I'll update the post.
For users not familiar with editing ini files, make sure all items in the same 'section' are placed together, you don't put the section name more than once. If a section doesn't yet exist in your file, create it.
What I've found so far:
Configuration Files Location:
%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Dayton_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\StateOfDecay2\Saved\Config\UWP

Fix FOV
File: Engine.ini
Section: [/Script/Engine.LocalPlayer]
AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

Disable Motion Blur:
Section: [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False

Disable Lens Flare
r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=False

Disable Depth Of Field
r.DefaultFeature.DepthOfField=False

Supersamping
r.ScreenPercentage=100.00

(Go higher than 100 to super
sample above the set resolution). I tested 200 and then tested 25 and
the difference was substantial.)
Untested
Remove Mouse Acceleration/Smoothing:

File: input.ini
Section: [/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
bViewAccelerationEnabled=false

File: GameuserSettings.ini
Section: [/Script/DaytonGame.DaytonGameUserSettings]
bDisableMouseAcceleration=True

Last edited:

PsyEd

I love the name of this game..State of Decay...2...exactly what the state the exclusives games on Xbox are at the moment. Horrible game, feels more like a SoD 1.5...and that performance on X...just wtf. Well no one will care about this game in few weeks time anyway...just like sea of whatever.

DavidGzz

Plenty of fun to be had in this game. Streamers are having fun and ACG praised it. Can't wait to play it! 7 Days to Die was a buggy mess with a low framerate and bad graphics and it did well and people loved it. If you like this style of game, SoD2 will be great.

DavidGzz

Feel bad for Xbox owners. They can't get a Solid first party game out.

Maybe you mean the fanboys who have no other options because they limit themselves? I, myself, have all consoles and a PC so no need to feel bad for me just because I own an Xbox, lol. As far as Xbox gaming, I've been having a great time with Path of Exile, Kingdom Come, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

DavidGzz

Very cool vid from ACG. Not all games need a super high MC and AAA production values to be one of the most fun games of the year.

xStoyax

Banned
Is there an ending to the game? I didn't play the first one. I'm enjoying it so far with the first few hrs in but it is starting to get repetitive and it is true the game has bugs galore. I wish there were more ways to communicate w/ your AI teammates -like put them on aggressive or defensive. Ill stop somewhere to pick up a box and next thing I know my partner is out starting a fight with a horde. Or if I'm just wanting to run past a group of zombies, they always stop to fight and won't leave till the last one is dead. I also hate how slow searching is. I had one of my player skills maxed for searching and it's still so damn slow. But I like the idea of gathering a community and base building. So much potential here, just like Sea of Thieves. But ultimately it misses the mark

TimFL

Is there an ending to the game? I didn't play the first one. I'm enjoying it so far with the first few hrs in but it is starting to get repetitive and it is true the game has bugs galore. I wish there were more ways to communicate w/ your AI teammates -like put them on aggressive or defensive. Ill stop somewhere to pick up a box and next thing I know my partner is out starting a fight with a horde. Or if I'm just wanting to run past a group of zombies, they always stop to fight and won't leave till the last one is dead. I also hate how slow searching is. I had one of my player skills maxed for searching and it's still so damn slow. But I like the idea of gathering a community and base building. So much potential here, just like Sea of Thieves. But ultimately it misses the mark
Have you tried going into stealth mode with your character? That worked for me during the tutorial.

Also, is there no achievement popup on the W10 version? I earned 10 achievements without being notified. //EDIT: I forgot I had duplicate monitors on which turns off notifications for most things it seems, will try again later.

The game is fun but it needs loads of work, I crashed 2 times before I could even get to the main menu + the game was stutter hell until I noticed that my firewall blocked a process. It's 2018, a game shouldn't slow down to a drag with a port not being open (I assume they were hammering some network function in the background).

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Broke down and got the UE. Downloaded on my X, OG, and my PC now. Waiting on my daughters so we can co-op! If this runs well on my PC, we can even play 3 players. Play Anywhere is such a sweet feature.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in zombie fiction. But that review from ACG completely sold me on the game. I'll be picking it up in a month's time once it has dropped in price and has received its first generation of patches following feedback from the "unpaid beta testers" (day one buyers). Damn it feels good to be a gangsta platform-agnostic gamer.

Redshirt

Banned
Broke down and got the UE. Downloaded on my X, OG, and my PC now. Waiting on my daughters so we can co-op! If this runs well on my PC, we can even play 3 players. Play Anywhere is such a sweet feature.

Can you? It's been a while (Forza Horizon 2) that I actually took advantage of this, but it limited us to two licenses.

The PC user takes the remote license, so the Xbox user has to be on the home console, and then that's it without a second copy.

Oh, I skipped that shit console last gen so I'm loving the Switch ports. Lotta games for me.

Hell I'd take BotW by itself over Xbox's sparse library, mix in Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and it's not even close imo.
Wait, so you dismiss the wii u as a "shitty" console, yet you sit there and praise all the wii u ports to the switch. The wii u was a good console. I loved mine. It just didnt sell well - it had a really stupid and confusing name and consequently was marketed piss poorly. There was also no zelda game as a launch title and metroid got left out entirely. Two of Nintendo's biggest IP's got passed over or not released until the next generation started with the Switch.

In regard to the xbox one library, I know i keep reposting this, but there are plenty of games on the xbox one if youre willing to try them. Im just sick and tired of hearing the tiresome and false narrative that the xbox one has no games repeated over and over again. You can click on the link and scroll down to post #1830 and see that while, yes, Sony, has more exclusives, the difference between the Playstation 4 and Xbox One is not nearly as dramatic as people make it out to be. I realize there are PS4 games I'm missing in the post, but you get the picture.
Post #1830 - a comparison of sony and MS exclusives

YMtnROC.jpg

Is that really a sparse library? Notice how the first list has nothing to do with forza, halo, or gears? And that doesn't include unannounced games, backwards compatible games, 3rd party games, kinect games if you have a kinect, and Indie games. Shoot in the past 2 years ive played unravel, little nightmares, inside, rime, max: curse of brotherhood, dying light, and im playing through the sexy brutale right now. I love Zelda, but I would never dismiss the entire xbox one library for one game, even if that game was BotW...

Last edited:

Alebrije

Wait, so you dismiss the wii u as a "shitty" console, yet you sit there and praise all the wii u ports to the switch. The wii u was a good console. I loved mine. It just didnt sell well - it had a really stupid and confusing name and consequently was marketed piss poorly. There was also no zelda game as a launch title and metroid got left out entirely. Two of Nintendo's biggest IP's got passed over or not released until the next generation started with the Switch.

In regard to the xbox one library, I know i keep reposting this, but there are plenty of games on the xbox one if youre willing to try them. Im just sick and tired of hearing the tiresome and false narrative that the xbox one has no games repeated over and over again. You can click on the link and scroll down to post #1830 and see that while, yes, Sony, has more exclusives, the difference between the Playstation 4 and Xbox One is not nearly as dramatic as people make it out to be. I realize there are PS4 games I'm missing in the post, but you get the picture.

Is that really a sparse library? Notice how the first list has nothing to do with forza, halo, or gears? And that doesn't include unannounced games, backwards compatible games, 3rd party games, kinect games if you have a kinect, and Indie games. Shoot in the past 2 years ive played unravel, little nightmares, inside, rime, max: curse of brotherhood, dying light, and im playing through the sexy brutale right now. I love Zelda, but I would never dismiss the entire xbox one library for one game, even if that game was BotW...
The main difference in not about quantity but impact , just Bloodborne and Horizont on PS4 are more known than most of MS new IPs.

I personally like Ori, Sea of thieves and Cuphead. But games like Recore , Sunset , Quantum did no had the impact needed to get a second game or become a series. Meanwhile soon or later Bloodborne and Horizont will get new releases.

MS needs smething like TLOU , God of War, Horizont, etc...they should buy Silent Hill from Konami or develop a solid single player experience , let's see what they this E3.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

It's funny because I remember first year or two of this gen Microsoft arguably had better exclusives but that wasn't the narrative. The narrative was about Xbox One games not hitting 1080p.

So the narrative changed over time but remained anti-Microsoft/Xbox.

Last edited:
The main difference in not about quantity but impact , just Bloodborne and Horizont on PS4 are more known than most of MS new IPs.

I personally like Ori, Sea of thieves and Cuphead. But games like Recore , Sunset , Quantum did no had the impact needed to get a second game or become a series. Meanwhile soon or later Bloodborne and Horizont will get new releases.

MS needs smething like TLOU , God of War, Horizont, etc...they should buy Silent Hill from Konami or develop a solid single player experience , let's see what they this E3.
Oh definitely, and quality of games is a big deal. Which I understand games like ReCore and Quantum Break are good games, but they obviously don't stack up to the AAA games like Bloodborne, Horizon and GoW. I think Sea of Thieves could potentially get to that point some day if Rare keeps adding stuff to do at a quick enough pace, but it's not there right now, not even close.

It's funny because I remember first year or two of this gen Microsoft arguably had better exclusives but that wasn't the narrative. The narrative was about Xbox One games not hitting 1080p.

So the narrative changed over time but remained anti-Microsoft/Xbox.
Yep. I won't argue that recently the xbox one has had a pretty big drought (not debatable), but it's just when people throw out the blanket statement that the xbox has no games that I get irritated. I know I make up part of the crowd of people viewed as the xbox defense force, but I can't help myself sometimes.

Last edited:

-MD-

Yeah, WiiU was a shit console (ugly, bad controller, overpriced etc) with a handful of good games. That's a pretty common sentiment.

I have a PC so Xbox One's library to me consists of Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive, the only two games I don't have access to. I'd absolutely love to have Rare Replay but couldn't care less about Sunset Overdrive.

Is that really a sparse library?

Yeah

Last edited:
Yeah, WiiU was a shit console (ugly, bad controller, overpriced etc) with a handful of good games. That's a pretty common sentiment.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. There was always the pro controller which was highly rated. I don't generally get as worked up about the look of a console as some, and I bought a refurbished unit for $200. That's a sweet spot for me and was available for quite a while before the switch arrived.
I have a PC so Xbox One's library to me consists of Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive, the only two games I don't have access to. I'd absolutely love to have Rare Replay but couldn't care less about Sunset Overdrive.
Having a pc is one thing, being willing to play console games on a pc is another. People throw out that excuse all the time even when inwardly they know they wouldn't be interested in actually playing them on a pc. Not saying you're like that, but I pretty much doubt everyone lol.
Well compare that list to the one i posted above. There really isn't that big of a difference - quality yes, general numbers no. So I guess Sony's library is sparse too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

-MD-

Well compare that list to the one i posted above. There really isn't that big of a difference - quality yes, general numbers no. So I guess Sony's library is sparse too... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It is pretty sparse but the majority of exclusives it does have are excellent, highly rated games that at the end of the day you can only play those on that box (which is why I own a PS4 and not an Xbox One).

I don't have an allegiance to any console, I bailed on consoles being my primary platform in ~2009 (I was an Xbox guy that gen). I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Having a pc is one thing, being willing to play console games on a pc is another. People throw out that excuse all the time even when inwardly they know they wouldn't be interested in actually playing them on a pc. Not saying you're like that, but I pretty much doubt everyone lol.

I have nothing against playing a console game on my PC, my Dualshock 4 hooked up to my PC gets used a ton.

Last edited:

TaroYamada

I was part of an effort here on gaf to get more Sega games on PC. Then Valk Chron sold a million copies on PC. Not sure why you think they are uninterested.

iHaunter

Maybe you mean the fanboys who have no other options because they limit themselves? I, myself, have all consoles and a PC so no need to feel bad for me just because I own an Xbox, lol. As far as Xbox gaming, I've been having a great time with Path of Exile, Kingdom Come, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

Then I obviously don't feel bad for you. I'm clearly talking about people that can't afford ALL the consoles + PC and had to choose one...

Top Bottom