• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

haha, I should have known it. There is no way to craft the winter badge yet, there is no even a button "craft badge", so much for my master plan

edited: probably the badge itself will be added later. Or use of snow globes might be different.

FloatOn

my wife rear ended someone this morning. everyone is fine. but it looks like most of my excess cash is going to repairs/ticket.

no steam xmas sale goodies for me. ce'st la vie

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Uplay updated so I can hide all the non-Steam-related duplicates on the off chance I open the actual program!

Before:
datuplayxwoqf.jpg
After:

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Any hurdles to getting a Raspberry Pi and booting SteamOS from there onto your TV for in home streaming?

The raspberry pi does have a beefy GPU (it allows for H.264 decode at 1080p in real time), but the GPU drivers are not Open Source. Also, one would need to port the SteamOS things to the ARM architecture.

Technically, I don't see why wouldn't it be possible, but if I had to guess, somebody would have to do some work to get it going.

Turfster

The raspberry pi does have a beefy GPU (it allows for H.264 decode at 1080p in real time), but the GPU drivers are not Open Source. Also, one would need to port the SteamOS things to the ARM architecture.

Technically, I don't see why wouldn't it be possible, but if I had to guess, somebody would have to do some work to get it going.

Not just the OS. What's the point of SteamOS without games?
(If you just need it for streaming games to, there are other options out there already)

You know what. I got it in a bundle so while I'm at it, I'm going to install it now that there might be another player.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not just the OS. What's the point of SteamOS without games?
(If you just need it for streaming games to, there are other options out there already)

He specifically said "for streaming", and the Raspberry Pi wouldn't be strong enough to do anything other than Video Streaming and Controller Input redirection.

The GPU on the Pi would allow for 1080p 30fps decoding in real time, so it would work for a streaming device. Things would just need to be coded for it.

Follow up question: do the other solutions for this issue cost 25 dollars? Because the Raspberry Pi does.

Dr Dogg

I have a feeling Sleeping Dogs will be one of the games.

aww.... that's so tempting and it'll probably b e games I already have several times over, but so tempting

Well it does mention this.

The Square Enix Christmas Surprise is available until 20 December 2013 (12:00pm GMT) and will contain four PC Downloadable Games (Steam Keys) which are giftable after purchase.

Plus there's some recommended system specs there as well. So you can rule out stuff that isn't available on Steam and above the specs.

Hitman Absolution, Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider et all will be likely candidates.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Streammygame is free software.
It's not ideal, but it exists =p

We're talking about Hardware, not software. We need some sort of box below our TV to be able to Stream games. The raspberry Pi is a 25 dollar box that, technically, could be able to do it.

I don't see how free software fixes that issue. :D

Deques

How come only Dragonborn is 75% off? Why not the other dlcs too?

Turfster

We're talking about Hardware, not software. We need some sort of box below our TV to be able to Stream games. The raspberry Pi is a 25 dollar box that, technically, could be able to do it.

I don't see how free software fixes that issue. :D

No, I was talking about the fact they probably wouldn't bother to build an ARM version of SteamOS, since it's also/mostly meant for playing games and the games are almost all x86 based, hence offering existing *nix solutions for streaming to the Pi =p

No, I was talking about the fact they probably wouldn't bother to build an ARM version of SteamOS, since it's also/mostly meant for playing games and the games are almost all x86 based, hence offering existing *nix solutions for streaming to the Pi =p

If they want to get on mobile, then ARM builds will come.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
2005 Diablo clone/Torchlight precursor Fate just hit the store and is 40% off ($4.79) until the 20th. Hopefully the expansions follow suit at a later date.

Edit: Oh, and it has cards.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Valve is trolling

Also I checked the diff between Oblivion GoTY and GoTY Deluxe... I thought GoTY already has all DLC. What's so special about Deluxe?

Arthea

I bought myself SE xmas surprise, now let's wait for all games to be those I own and on steam and on consoles (><)
If it's steam keys, then it'll be not so bad, more presents to give.

nexen

Ok, I love Volgarr but it is way too hardcore for me. At this point I'd pay extra for the option to save at checkpoints.

Colin.

Pretty tempted. Even with the lower tier games, you still get your £5 worth. But I can see myself having at least 2 of the included games, due to nearly all their games having frequent sales.

Restart Steam to get the Velocity Ultra vouchers. Valid until February and stacks.

I did this and got 2 of them. Will check out the game, but probably another one of the many vouchers that I end up not using. At least the expiry date is reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom