• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible, it's just going to be incredibly difficult :) I may take a stab at the DLC scenarios if this next go at Deity doesn't turn out so well.

Played Nuclear Dawn for a bit, it's interesting mish-mash of a TF style class/team based shooter with tower defence elements that's pretty different from Monday Night Combat. You have a commander buying turrets and what not with resources from control points the rest of the team captures and tries to hold. It's kind of like Day of Defeats control points, where the points earned from holding the flags leads to turrets and various defences springing up around the map.

It's interesting, I guess.

SmokyDave

Anybody else buy the Sega pack and then sit there thinking "why did I just buy that?". Ah well, Streets Of Rage 2 is priceless, even when emulated.

Gundemonium Collection unlocks at 6ish tonight! Woo-hoo!

Echoplx

Apparently you can get refunds from steam

GJ7Qf.png

SmokyDave

daviyoung said:
I bought it just for Comix Zone.
I paid 2/3rds of the price of the entire collection for Comix Zone first time around.

Actually, when I think of it like that, the pack was a bargain. Hell, I might even play some of the games.

Hahaha, nice.

Steam were prompt cancelling my pre-order of F1 2011 the other day when I got a free copy of it.

I wouldn't try and get a refund for a game once it's in my library unless it was broken/unplayable, though.

Dascu

3chopl0x said:
Apparently you can get refunds from steam

http://i.imgur.com/GJ7Qf.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, due to European Union law, a consumer practically always has at least 7 days to return the good and get a refund in regards to an international transaction, even without giving a proper reason. Neat to see it happen in action!

...Actually, now I'm curious. You could play and finish most games in that amount of time. Seems very exploitable when it comes to this kind of software.

Edit: Quick search tells me that they're planning on changing it a bit:
[QUOTE](11e) Digital content transmitted to the consumer in a digital format, where the consumer obtains the possibility of use on a permanent basis or in a way similar to the physical possession of a good, should be treated as goods for the application of the provisions of this Directive which apply to sales contracts. [B]However, a withdrawal right should only apply until the moment the consumer chooses to download the digital content.[/B][/QUOTE]
From: [url]http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=REPORT&reference=A7-2011-0038&language=EN[/url]

Dascu said:
It hasn't been amended yet! Time to buy all the stuff on your wishlist and finish each title in seven days.
I was going to say I wanted to return Red Faction 2 because it's shit, but I bought that during the christmas sale.

We need to create new laws.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
SmokyDave said:
Gundemonium Collection unlocks at 6ish tonight! Woo-hoo!

I think you and I are the only ones who will be buying this. Hopefully at least one of them is decent!

Blizzard

Banned
Just in case anyone isn't using their wish list, make sure you keep it up to date. When games I like go on sale for $5 or less, and/or I'm buying something cheap and see someone has it on their wish list, I occasionally get an extra copy or two for the wish list people. Or if it's too expensive I might just IM you to remind you that it's on sale, in case you didn't notice! I can't do that if you don't have your wish list filled out!

I picked up Sonic 3 yesterday after trying to decide between 2 and 3. Seems like 3 should be overall better.

wilflare

Blizzard said:
Just in case anyone isn't using their wish list, make sure you keep it up to date. When games I like go on sale for $5 or less, and/or I'm buying something cheap and see someone has it on their wish list, I occasionally get an extra copy or two for the wish list people. Or if it's too expensive I might just IM you to remind you that it's on sale, in case you didn't notice! I can't do that if you don't have your wish list filled out!

I picked up Sonic 3 yesterday after trying to decide between 2 and 3. Seems like 3 should be overall better.

-proceeds to try to add you on Steam-

but i concur on the part about keeping wishlist updated. you'll never know who will be using that as reference :p

jaundicejuice said:
Looks like my total time with Sanctum was only 12 hours, whoops. Whatever. I'll give this stuff a shot.

Also, not that anyone cares, but Nuclear Dawn came out today as well. I pre-ordered it on a whim a while back, curious to see how active the game is. 233 people right now according to Steam, yikes.
Let us know any impressions on it, I have heard zero about the game but it seems really interesting.

Derrick01

Banned
Sanjay said:
UK law, Best law.

Seriously that is awesome and I wish I could have done that when Dead Island came out. I don't know what the law is in US but knowing our country it's probably pro-business/corporation.

ShaneB

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I think you and I are the only ones who will be buying this. Hopefully at least one of them is decent!

I doubt I'll buy it until a sale perhaps, but it is on my wishlist!

ShaneB

Blizzard said:

*stealth adds you to Steam*

Mrbob

Dascu said:
Yeah, due to European Union law, a consumer practically always has at least 7 days to return the good and get a refund in regards to an international transaction, even without giving a proper reason. Neat to see it happen in action!

...Actually, now I'm curious. You could play and finish most games in that amount of time. Seems very exploitable when it comes to this kind of software.

Edit: Quick search tells me that they're planning on changing it a bit:

From: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?type=REPORT&reference=A7-2011-0038&language=EN

Go for it. Valve will ban your account for attempting to abuse this law.

Since Valve is based in the USA I don't know if they have to abide by European Union law anyway. Probably just refunded Worms Reloaded just to avoid future headaches. 20 bucks isn't worth a long term hassle.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
SEGA sale officially over. Daggerdale looks like my type of game but everyone says it sucks. Not sure if want. I think I will wait for 66-75% off at the holidays as I already have too many games I need to play.

Daggerdale is shit on a stick.

Driver: Parallel Lines is pretty good, but it's dated. Crazy short draw distance and jerky animations and cars that ride the brakes, so it looks like they're hopping. Still it's not bad for $3 and change, if you just wanna fuck around for a few hours.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
LocoMrPollock said:
Daggerdale is shit on a stick.

Everyone says the same thing about that Dungeons game which is why I've held off on it and the sequel.

Dascu

- Redacted -

Ah, I'm mistaken. It only applies to EU sellers (odd, I remember differently). So Mrbob is correct actually. Steam sales should not fall under the EU directive, seeing how the USA is not an EU member state. There's different Steam stores though. I wonder if a case could be made that if you buy from the Euro or UK store, that you're effectively buying from a trader established in the EU (note: Steam being based in the USA doesn't mean that it can't have foreign offices or establishments). They have servers here in Europe too, no? I should ask one of my professors if we have a case here.

So yeah, the EU directive shouldn't apply and that one guy apparently got lucky.

Derrick01

Banned
So I'm sure some people here have used that intkeys site, how reliable is it? I mean I'm sure they send the games just fine but I'll admit sending my CC info to some place in Russia makes me somewhat hesitant. No offense to russia-gaf, your women are smoking hot, but you guys got lots of shifty "businesses" up there and seeing everything coming out for $30-$35 seems too good to be true.

Blizzard

Banned
Joe Molotov said:
No, it's shitty as hell.
I have come to the realization that since Joe Molotov buys any Steam game, ever, whether it be Nancy Drew (which I bought) or John Deere's Ultra Farm Mowing Simulator, you should REALLY pay attention when he says a game is terrible. =P

gdt

Finally started up Civ 5. Really enjoyed it, but obviously I was sucking. Initiated war with a city-state wayy too early, my units got massacred. Then I lost all my gold. I'll start another game maybe tonight.

Oh an it's very helpful. Makes it easy for a newcomer. Extremely addictive too.

Next time I'll make sure to strengthen a small city first. Expand, then go to war (if I want).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom