• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BioHazard

crimsonheadGCN said:
The original Supreme Commander will be up on Steam today most likely:

!!!!!!

this is good news

Ledsen

Mrbob said:
Go for it. Valve will ban your account for attempting to abuse this law.

Since Valve is based in the USA I don't know if they have to abide by European Union law anyway. Probably just refunded Worms Reloaded just to avoid future headaches. 20 bucks isn't worth a long term hassle.
Dude, you abide by the laws in the country where you do business. Don't know about this case though.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Let it be known I fucking love Steam Cloud. I reinstalled Puzzle Quest 2 a few nights ago and was surprised to see a character I created 9 months ago still there and ready to play.

Archie said:
Let it be known I fucking love Steam Cloud. I reinstalled Puzzle Quest 2 a few nights ago and was surprised to see a character I created 9 months ago still there and ready to play.

Word. I also like being able to use my savegames across many computers. If you're targetting low specs with your game and don't put in Steam Cloud you're doing something wrong.

Sye d'Burns

Ledsen said:
Dude, you abide by the laws in the country where you do business. Don't know about this case though.

What is the law concerning a company's ability in the UK, or the EU for that matter, to refuse to do further business with a particular individual as opposed to a class of persons?

Dascu said:
- Redacted -

Ah, I'm mistaken. It only applies to EU sellers (odd, I remember differently). So Mrbob is correct actually. Steam sales should not fall under the EU directive, seeing how the USA is not an EU member state. There's different Steam stores though. I wonder if a case could be made that if you buy from the Euro or UK store, that you're effectively buying from a trader established in the EU (note: Steam being based in the USA doesn't mean that it can't have foreign offices or establishments). They have servers here in Europe too, no? I should ask one of my professors if we have a case here.

So yeah, the EU directive shouldn't apply and that one guy apparently got lucky.
EU Directives don't apply to consumers or businesses (there are certain exceptions which don't come into play here), they need to be transformed into national law of the Member States. There are fully harmonizing directives (at least in some regards) but in general Member States have a certain freedom within the framework of a Directive. For instance in Germany you have 14 days for the right of withdrawal instead of 7 (the Directive says at least 7 days).

There are also legal uncertainties regarding the right of withdrawal and DD. There are exceptions for goods that cannot be returned. Are DD such goods? A similar problem occurs when delivering grid energy (electricity, natural gas) for instance. Steam is interesting in that regard because they can remove/return your ability to play. This question is not played out yet and could go either way.

As to the application of the law, that depends but here in Germany I would assume international jurisdiction (meaning that you could make your case before a German court) and also at least the applicability of the consumer rights (including the right of withdrawal). These can not be forfeited by a consumer even if the application of a different law was chosen if the (foreign) company is adjusting its business operations to Germany. And since Valve is offering a "German" shop, complete with IP restrictions I'd assume that as well.

But you should be asking your Professors regardless because it is an interesting subject and while I'm a lawyer I'm not an expert on private international law.

ShaneB

gdt5016 said:
Finally started up Civ 5. Really enjoyed it, but obviously I was sucking. Initiated war with a city-state wayy too early, my units got massacred. Then I lost all my gold. I'll start another game maybe tonight.

Oh an it's very helpful. Makes it easy for a newcomer. Extremely addictive too.

Next time I'll make sure to strengthen a small city first. Expand, then go to war (if I want).

I wanted to love it when I tried playing it. I've never played a Civ game before as well, so I'm a complete newb. It was pretty addicting I admit, and definitely kept going for that next turn, but like you, I got into combat early, and just felt like I was in a massive hole all game. That turned me off from combat whereas I was enjoying just seeing my Civ grow.

Perhaps I'll try it again one of these days.

Sysgen

Buying Gundemonium Collection. Price is right and the genre needs to be supported on Steam especially with all of the Steam extras.

InertiaXr

Does anybody have any impressions about the new Shogun 2 DLC campaign? Does it add a whole new map in addition to the 6 clans and new units?

Sysgen

jaundicejuice said:
Looks like my total time with Sanctum was only 12 hours, whoops. Whatever. I'll give this stuff a shot.

Also, not that anyone cares, but Nuclear Dawn came out today as well. I pre-ordered it on a whim a while back, curious to see how active the game is. 233 people right now according to Steam, yikes.

Don't know about the game but this thread in the game's forum sure is awesome.

Windows 8 wont even start

Ledsen

Zimbardo said:
must be one of these places ...

http://intkeys.com/

http://buygamecdkeys.com/specials.html

some tempting prices, but i keep thinking that if i register one of those keys on Steam that i might be stepping around the Steam Terms of Service.

i don't wanna chance getting those games disabled, or worse yet, my account disabled.

This has never ever happened in this context, so you have nothing to worry about. The only thing that happened was that people who bought MW2 got their games removed because Activision are huge asses.

Chesskid1

Banned
Ledsen said:
This has never ever happened in this context, so you have nothing to worry about. The only thing that happened was that people who bought MW2 got their games removed because Activision are huge asses.

yeah, even then the sites that sold MW2 refunded them it seems.

there's really no downside i guess. i've had people gift me the euro version of some steam sales to save a few bucks, those sites are just gifting me the russian/euro version.

will probably buy rage from those cdkeys sites, if it gets good reviews.

Twinduct

Blizzard said:
I have come to the realization that since Joe Molotov buys any Steam game, ever, whether it be Nancy Drew (which I bought) or John Deere's Ultra Farm Mowing Simulator, you should REALLY pay attention when he says a game is terrible. =P

LOL That logic works for me!!

Joe Molotov said:
No, it's shitty as hell.

Thanks, Staying away then!

Zimbardo said:
must be one of these places ...

http://intkeys.com/

http://buygamecdkeys.com/specials.html

some tempting prices, but i keep thinking that if i register one of those keys on Steam that i might be stepping around the Steam Terms of Service.

i don't wanna chance getting those games disabled, or worse yet, my account disabled.

I'm using a CD key distributor, yes. I've never had issues with the reputable ones, and, like has been said, the worst that's ever happened is that the copy of the game got disabled, but they were issued refunds. So really, not a lot of risk. They're really just selling the RU versions most of the time, and the developers and publishers still get a cut.

Dascu

Phife Dawg said:
EU Directives don't apply to consumers or businesses (there are certain exceptions which don't come into play here), they need to be transformed into national law of the Member States. There are fully harmonizing directives (at least in some regards) but in general Member States have a certain freedom within the framework of a Directive. For instance in Germany you have 14 days for the right of withdrawal instead of 7 (the Directive says at least 7 days).
I know. But this Directive ensures a minimum level of protection (like 7 days withdrawal right) and it's simpler to work with that. I suppose it's possible for an internal national law to claim that it's also in effect with regards to non-EU member states, but then you'd have to check country by country.

There are also legal uncertainties regarding the right of withdrawal and DD. There are exceptions for goods that cannot be returned. Are DD such goods? A similar problem occurs when delivering grid energy (electricity, natural gas) for instance. Steam is interesting in that regard because they can remove/return your ability to play. This question is not played out yet and could go either way.
Downloadable software falls under the Directive as far as I know. Not sure about electricity

Dascu said:
I know. But this Directive ensures a minimum level of protection (like 7 days withdrawal right) and it's simpler to work with that. I suppose it's possible for an internal national law to claim that it's also in effect with regards to non-EU member states, but then you'd have to check country by country.
The applicability and terms still depend on the national law and you will have to check country by country anyway.

Downloadable software falls under the Directive as far as I know. Not sure about electricity
The question is whether DD are goods that can not be returned (or computer software which was unsealed for that matter). If so then the right of withdrawal does not apply. In terms of compatibility of national with EU law this question has not been decided yet. There was a request for interpretation from the Federal Court of Justice (Germany) to the Court of Justice of the EU but the request became moot due to a settlement.

Le-mo

Since the Witcher OT is dead I'll post my question here. why can't I play this with maxed setting without stuttering and framerate drop? I'm running it on a HD Radeon 6950, Amd Athlon X4, Windows 7 64-bit ultimate and 8GB of ram. What gives. I should clarify that I am playing the 1st Witcher, not Assassin's of the King.

Nelo Ice

Banned
$20.35 for space marine?! id be up for that but are those sites okay to use ur card or do i have to make a paypal account to be safer? curious since i remember reading about how u could put fake info and they would take it and paypal was the safest bet.

froliq

froliq said:
Gonna get myself an Arkham City steam key from ebay. I assume the code is not region locked? The promotion is avaible in my country, but since I'll be buying from someone who got a Nvidia card in the US, it'll be an US code? Or I can just redeem the steam key from the US section of the Nvidia page and it'll work on my EU steam account?

Don't think I've heard anything about region locking with this game and I might be overthinking it, but still would love to hear a conformation if anyone knows before I buy.
Ok, got the key and I was able to activate it without problems. If anyone is interested in Arkham City go get a steam key from ebay. It just costs ~$30 which is a great deal, especially for EU and AUS.

Dascu

Phife Dawg said:
The applicability and terms still depend on the national law and you will have to check country by country anyway.
In practice? Yes. For an internet discussion? Hell if I'll bother with that.

The question is whether DD are goods that can not be returned (or computer software which was unsealed for that matter). If so then the right of withdrawal does not apply. In terms of compatibility of national with EU law this question has not been decided yet. There was a request for interpretation from the Federal Court of Justice (Germany) to the Court of Justice of the EU but the request became moot due to a settlement.
Always sucks when an important question gets brought before the Court of Justice and then they avoid answering it somehow. Lazy bums.

Le-mo said:
Since the Witcher OT is dead I'll post my question here. why can't I play this with maxed setting without stuttering and framerate drop? I'm running it on a HD Radeon 6950, Amd Athlon X4, Windows 7 64-bit ultimate and 8GB of ram. What gives. I should clarify that I am playing the 1st Witcher, not Assassin's of the King.
It uses the Aurora Engine which is the old ass engine that NWN used and doesn't take advantage of multi-core CPUs(only uses one core).

Le-mo

CrookedRain said:
It uses the Aurora Engine which is the old ass engine that NWN used and doesn't take advantage of multi-core CPUs(only uses one core).
So is there a way to fix the stuttering and framerate drop or am I stuck playing it like this? Will lowering the settings help?

LastWindow said:
Eh, I played a bit [of Daggerdale] on the 360 and thought it was an alright time killer. For $7.50 I'll bite.

The problem is that the PC port is apparently pretty buggy and bad. What was a mediocre 360 game is actually worse on the PC due to the bugs, so you're probably better off getting the 360 version when it goes on sale.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man I wish there was a Daggerdale demo. When games score below 50 on aggregate, I get really curious to see if it's genuinely that bad.

vocab

Le-mo said:

Turn shadows way down. Turn draw distance down. turn off AA. Try d3d overidder. I have the same shit. Though it runs a lot better than it did when I first tried the game. All those settings take a huge performance hit.

Le-mo

vocab said:
Turn shadows way down. Turn draw distance down. turn off AA. Try d3d overidder. I have the same shit. Though it runs a lot better than it did when I first tried the game. All those settings take a huge performance hit.
Is this a common issue? I mean I had no problem playing all of my Steam games on maxed setting (Assassin's Creed II, Darksiders, BioShock, Left 4 Dead 2, Alpha Protocol, Sniper: Ghost Warrior and Medal of Honor). I'll lower the settings when I play it again in a few minutes to see if that fixes the problem.

Le-mo said:
Is this a common issue?

Yes, as someone said earlier the Aurora Engine is a filthy, lazy mongrel cur. My system with a low-clocked i5 runs it horribly no matter what I do, a less modern system with a high-clocked dual core CPU ran it at twice the framerate. It's just a weird engine.

Edit: and what the fuck does tappled mean?

jim-jam bongs said:
Yes, as someone said earlier the Aurora Engine is a filthy, lazy mongrel cur. My system with a low-clocked i5 runs it horribly no matter what I do, a less modern system with a high-clocked dual core CPU ran it at twice the framerate. It's just a weird engine.

I have a stock i5-750, ATI 5770, and 4GB RAM and it runs flawlessly for me. I even use D3DOverrider to enable V-sync/triple buffering.

Edit: I think it's supposed to be "tableted", or something. Its Start menu is very reminiscent of a tablet interface.

MNC

jim-jam bongs said:

Tappled = tablet :p

Salsa

unavailable everywhere but the US at that

also achievements are fucking retarded. Not like people are gonna buy the thing to increase their overall achievement score, since there is none.

Thanks guys. I guess I need to get myself a tappled peesee for Windows 8.

As for PC Gamer... Print publisher makes stupid decisions as part of move to digital, news at 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom