• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

raphier said:
I've played the first game's demo. By the time the walls turned in blood, I was unconscious on the floor.
Hah... the demo is very misleading. There's no actual level that features that much wall-to-wall scary stuff. It was built by taking scenes of the first few levels and sticking them all together. There's hours of crazy shooting action in between those little moments of weirdness.

leadbelly

Banned
hamchan said:
They're only advertising the "Not available on steam" in te UK D2D store right? Kinda false advertising if they were doing that for non UK regions.

Well, I don't know what exactly is on the US D2D store, but yeah, It was from the UK store I got those advertising banners.

They were always going to exploit this though weren't they?

Erasus

stuminus3 said:
F.E.A.R isn't actually all that scary, although the name implies otherwise. It has it's share of creepy moments but the game is largely just a kick-ass first person shooter. Definitely not a "horror" game in the traditional sense of the word.

Both 1 and 2 scared the shit outta me in parts. Maybe I´m just a pansy :p Great games too

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Perseus Mandate is really the only shit FEAR game thus far. FEAR 1 and Extraction Point are sick and Fear 2 + DLC isn't as good but definitely entertaining and worth playing if you enjoyed 1.

Really hard to pass up on the Fear collection since I've been hoping it would go on sale at some point. Only problem is, I barely have any money!

Also, what is Monolith up to these days?

Just picked up the Fear pack. About 30 gigs of data for everything installed... ouch. I'm tempted to get the indie variety pack but already own Machinarium and the only other games I want are Capsized and A.R.E.S. Will probably just wait for individual sales on those.

Ledsen

Got the indie pack even though I don't have any money :p

Machinarium is the only one I owned previously. Quickly tried out the others:

- Capsized - Played the demo previously. Beautiful platformer with amazing music, but sadly shit physics kind of ruin it. Worth it in this pack, but not as a separate purchase.

- ARES - Mega Man-esque side-scrolling action game with dual stick shooting controls (think Abuse). Good controls and serviceable action. Bosses are kind of fun, art design is pretty boring but gets the job done. Only five levels, but at this price I can't complain.

- Swords and Soldiers HD - Okay, so I only tried the first level. The impression I get is Plants vs. Zombies with Vikings and a cute art style. Is this accurate? Will play!

- Atom Zombie Smasher - I don't really know how to describe this one... I guess it's kind of a tower defense game/rts where you're placing out friendly dots (soldiers, mines etc) on an overhead map of a city that is being overrun by purple dots (zombies). Your goal is to allow the yellow dots (citizens) to escape by helicopter without being eaten. I played it for a bit and hit a huge wall with a lvl 2 map that I couldn't beat in four tries. Difficulty curve seems out of whack but I really like the idea and it's fun.

Fuck. "F.E.A.R. Extraction Point" and "F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate" are sorted after "F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin" in the list. I hate that.
The Witcher and Dawn of War make me cringe for the very same reasons.

Stitch

Gold Member
Ledsen said:
- Atom Zombie Smasher - I don't really know how to describe this one... I guess it's kind of a tower defense game/rts where you're placing out friendly dots (soldiers, mines etc) on an overhead map of a city that is being overrun by purple dots (zombies). Your goal is to allow the yellow dots (citizens) to escape by helicopter without being eaten. I played it for a bit and hit a huge wall with a lvl 2 map that I couldn't beat in four tries. Difficulty curve seems out of whack but I really like the idea and it's fun.
Yes it's hard and the Zombies always seem to win. You can change some settings but then it will be too easy.

But it's still a fun game. I just don't really get the cutscenes o_O

Oreoleo

Palette Swap said:
Fuck. "F.E.A.R. Extraction Point" and "F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate" are sorted after "F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin" in the list. I hate that.
The Witcher and Dawn of War make me cringe for the very same reasons.

Yeah colons break the alphabetizing and it's kind of annoying. Same thing happens with the Quake 1 expansions (listed after Quake 2) and Half-Life: Source (listed after HL2 and the episodes).

Orellio said:
Yeah colons break the alphabetizing and it's kinda of annoying. Same thing happens with the Quake 1 expansions (listed after Quake 2) and Half-Life: Source (listed after HL2 and the episodes).
I hope at some point in the future they'll let people rename the games or have a sorting name. These are obviously not deal breaking features but overhauling the options in these views would be nice, along custom images, the ability to use additionnal sorting options in the list view and maybe categories in the grid view.

On an unrelated note, I've bought trino, it's an interesting twist on Qix with shooter elements.

Razer Hydra Motion Controller Now Available With Portal 2 and Extra Levels
Product Release - Valve

The Razer Hydra motion sensing controller is now available for purchase and shipping via Steam in the United States.

Extend your natural body motion directly into the game and interact with the virtual world in complete three dimensions, as you would in real life.

The Razer Hydra comes bundled exclusively with a copy of Portal 2 and comes with the Portal 2 Sixense Motion Pack DLC. Play Portal 2 like never before with the detailed object manipulation only available with the Razer Hydra. Plus, the Motion Pack includes a set of 10 custom single-player Portal 2 maps that can only be solved with true six degree-of-freedom

News: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5682/

Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/901666/

Valve selling hardware through Steam now. Interesting.

hampig

Hey, I'm trying to figure out how to change the voice buffer length on steam. Voice chat is going out really shaky and from what I've read that means I need to increase my voice buffer length, but it's not in settings like everyone says it is. Was this moved or something in a more recent patch...?

DJ_Lae

Good to know Forsaken World abides by the long standing female armor traditions of combining minimal protection with undergarments.

EayNC.jpg

(I wish the game used your Steam login as cleanly as Spiral Knights does)

nyong

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Perseus Mandate is really the only shit FEAR game thus far. FEAR 1 and Extraction Point are sick and Fear 2 + DLC isn't as good but definitely entertaining and worth playing if you enjoyed 1.
In some ways, Perseus Mandate is my favorite FEAR game (I haven't played FEAR 2). I thought that the horror segments were the best of all, and I really enjoyed the extra space to maneuver in some of the fire fights. They messed up the graphics and AI something fierce, though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
nyong said:
In some ways, Perseus Mandate is my favorite FEAR game (I haven't played FEAR 2). I thought that the horror segments were the best of all, and I really enjoyed the extra space to maneuver in some of the fire fights. They messed up the graphics and AI something fierce, though.
I thought Extraction Point was the horror peak personally.

vertopci

Shaneus said:
What does it do? I saw the description, but in your own words would be better :)

It makes the game fucking awesome!

Adds a perk system which is pretty damn nice. New bosses and enemies which helps a lot with variety and keeps things from getting stale which was a problem in vanilla Beat Hazard IMO. And ONLINE coop/versus play which is fun as hell. I think it also added achievements and a boss rush mode.

Basically buy the damn thing!

XeroSauce

Damn, I'ma get that Indie bundle just for Capsized.

Steam is already probing at my wallet. D:

Does anyone want to get in my boat and play Frozen Synapse with me once they release it on sale?

cicero

SalsaShark said:
wow, you guys better buy that variety pack.

Im only missing 2 games so im probably gonna skip it.. but i paid full price for Capsized, Machinarium and Swords and Soldiers and they were more than worth it.

Wish i could just gift the extra copies..
Last year the Indie packs were only $5 during the Christmas sale. That is the only reason why I am hesitating now.

cicero said:
Last year the Indie packs were only $5 during the Christmas sale. That is the only reason why I am hesitating now.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't do those again. Those bundles were ridiculous deals, and they probably left a lot of money on the table with some of them.

I remember with Recettear specifically, it went straight from being $20 to being in a 5/$5 bundle... I'm sure there were tons of people who didn't want to pay $20 but would have been willing to pay more than a buck. They could have charged $10 or $15 and still sold a buttload of those things.

Was going to buy the variety pack until I tried the demo of A.R.E.S. Would have been an ok game if the move speed wasn't so slow. Just felt so clunky. Can't really justify the pack since I already own Machinarium.

Joe Molotov said:
I have 6 people on my friend list that own it, and 18 people that want it.

I have 1 friend who wants Dungeon Siege 3. I have over 30 friends who own Torchlight, I figured there'd be some cross-pollination there.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm getting DS3, will be doing a coop run through with a friend. I liked the fact that the demo played absolutely nothing like the first 2 DS games which are among the worst loot whore games ever made.

jaundicejuice said:
I have 1 friend who wants Dungeon Siege 3. I have over 30 friends who own Torchlight, I figured there'd be some cross-pollination there.

Eh, wait until it's $5, the you'll start seeing it. But judging by the demo, it seems to be much better that Torchlight, which bored me to tears.

Sinatar said:
I'm getting DS3, will be doing a coop run through with a friend. I liked the fact that the demo played absolutely nothing like the first 2 DS games which are among the worst loot whore games ever made.

I enjoyed DS2, I never really thought of it as a loot whore game. It played more like a party based arpg.

I'm definitely getting Dungeon Siege 3 but I'm trying to hold on to as much money as I can for the Summer sale, if it happens. If it weren't for that I'd get it along with FEAR 3.

So I just have to say... I <3 Steam. I have added about 9 CD keys from EA games I have purchased on Steam to Origin. Was seriously trying to give it a fair shake. I know its brand new to some degree and all but... wow. So slow, clunky, no community features, friends are broken (for me), etc. I know EA is planning on improving the client over time but it really is surprising and disappointing that they'd release it even in beta status with it being so bare. We're only a few months away from BF3 and its just so bad. Really made me appreciate how far Steam has come.

Gvaz

Banned
Sinatar said:
Wow no.

DS1 owned, but DS2 stunk because of the godawful scripting iirc.

I'd rebuy the first two but the demo of 3 of this made me go "why would I ever play this crap"

Torchlight is the only game you really need in this genre until Diablo 3 comes out, and Torchlight 2 will still probably be better.

Torchlight. Go buy it now. Torchlight. Torchlight.

Salsa

Turns out i cant even buy anything from the Origin store because im in South America. I expected as much but decided to try it, yep.

lol EA

XeroSauce

Gotta wait until the Summer Sale (I only realized I had half of that indie pack when I went to purchase, heh).

And yea, trying out Origin made me shiver, it's absoluty horrible. GFWL's client is better then that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom