• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Zimbardo said:
while Origin isn't anywhere near the same level of quality as Steam, its still in beta and will obviously get better.

Cant wait for EA to make BF3 Origin-exclusive and me not being able to buy it because of living where i live.

And people say this is the same as Steam..

Gvaz

Banned
It has only upward to go (I hope) but i've already spent close to $1000 on steam over the years, and im not about to drop money on some other service who wants exclusive rights w/r/t specific games. No way.

Beamdog has a steamish client i hear, but it doesn't require you to have the client for that game.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
SalsaShark said:
Cant wait for EA to make BF3 Origin-exclusive and me not being able to buy it because of living where i live.

And people say this is the same as Steam..
I'm sure you'll be able to get it at retail, or import a disc.

The problem with Origin (and any other DD platform that's got a tiny amount of titles) is that you can't expect comparable sales. So they effectively won't sell as much copies with OEs (that's Origin Exclusives, son). That will always limit their appeal, and strengthen Steam's.

Meaning I don't understand what EA is thinking. This can't be about profit all the way (just think 3 years down the road; maybe they have a nice launch, but they can't expect customers to launch their service with the OS or anything on the level Steam's playing on). I guess they really just want customer data.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Holy shit did Beat Hazard Ultra improve the game. The new enemies and bosses do wonders for the game on its own, and then the extra perks, boss rush mode (basically survival with bosses only), and online play are just icing on the top. There are probably a few additions that I didn't mention or were part of the big update the game received recently. Beat Hazard was pretty cool at first, but now it's probably the best way to listen to my music.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
MasterShotgun said:
Holy shit did Beat Hazard Ultra improve the game. The new enemies and bosses do wonders for the game on its own, and then the extra perks, boss rush mode (basically survival with bosses only), and online play are just icing on the top. There are probably a few additions that I didn't mention or were part of the big update the game received recently. Beat Hazard was pretty cool at first, but now it's probably the best way to listen to my music.
Other than Audiosurf.

coopolon

LovingSteam said:
So I just have to say... I <3 Steam. I have added about 9 CD keys from EA games I have purchased on Steam to Origin. Was seriously trying to give it a fair shake. I know its brand new to some degree and all but... wow. So slow, clunky, no community features, friends are broken (for me), etc. I know EA is planning on improving the client over time but it really is surprising and disappointing that they'd release it even in beta status with it being so bare. We're only a few months away from BF3 and its just so bad. Really made me appreciate how far Steam has come.

For a moment I thought it was 2004 and you were describing Steam.

I know it doesn't matter, Origin is competing with Steam as it is now, not as it was when it was at an equivalent point in its life cycle, but I did get a laugh out of the similarities.

plc268

The Broken Ska Record said:
Agree with this. Audiosurf was fun, but after playing Beat Hazard for so long, it's hard to go back.

Well, TBH, Beat Hazard was pretty boring up until this latest patch/DLC. The gameplay was always nearly the same and the music really didn't do much to change things up.

Now with Ultra, there's some very good variety with multiple types of bosses and combinations of enemies.I can't get enough of it now.

I had no idea what Beat Hazzard was, checked it out on youtube, watched someone play Master Exploder on Hardcore and I think I had three seizures in two minutes and forty four seconds. The colors, the explosions...

Gvaz

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I had no idea what Beat Hazzard was, checked it out on youtube, watched someone play Master Exploder on Hardcore and I think I had three seizures in two minutes and forty four seconds. The colors, the explosions...
You get used to it. After a couple songs it's not hard to see what's going on.

Stallion Free said:
I would classify Beat Hazard as a game and Audiosurf as an experience.

I'd qualify Eufloria as both ;)

coopolon said:

I know it doesn't matter, Origin is competing with Steam as it is now, not as it was when it was at an equivalent point in its life cycle, but I did get a laugh out of the similarities.
Yep I knew that description could have been afforded Steam as well but as you said EA is going up against current Steam. Its why I expected it to be further along.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gvaz said:
You get used to it. After a couple songs it's not hard to see what's going on.

I'd qualify Eufloria as both ;)
Eufloria is fucking sick and yeah Beat Hazard is one of those games where you like kind of enter the zone and stop seeing all the crazy shit going on.

Salsa

Fredescu said:
Ever tried to import from the UK? CD Wow seem to ship to some South American countries for free: http://www.cdwow.com/info/CustomerService/Shipping

Thanks, looked into that site before but i already import my Wii/DS games and i get tired of the process. Over the years i just became used to getting my PC games DD only.

If BF3 ends up being Origin only and that much difficult to get then im not buying, wich is a shame since its like my most awaited game ever, but oh well, fuck you EA.

plc268 said:
Well, TBH, Beat Hazard was pretty boring up until this latest patch/DLC. The gameplay was always nearly the same and the music really didn't do much to change things up.

Now with Ultra, there's some very good variety with multiple types of bosses and combinations of enemies.I can't get enough of it now.
I can agree with this, too. OG Beat Hazard was just simple fun. I'd play it for a few songs and go do something else. Which is fine with what it was. I had a blast. Ultra actually makes it more of a "game" in that respect.

Gvaz

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
I can agree with this, too. OG Beat Hazard was just simple fun. I'd play it for a few songs and go do something else. Which is fine with what it was. I had a blast. Ultra actually makes it more of a "game" in that respect.
This is my sentiment, about all music games in this vein. It's good to know that Ultra is so well received. I might pick it up later.

Relax.MX

SalsaShark said:
Thanks, looked into that site before but i already import my Wii/DS games and i get tired of the process. Over the years i just became used to getting my PC games DD only.

If BF3 ends up being Origin only and that much difficult to get then im not buying, wich is a shame since its like my most awaited game ever, but oh well, fuck you EA.

For Mexico is better now, before(ea store) they charged in lbs. (1lb = 22 pesos mexicanos)...Origin is dlls like Steam..

Oh snap
25spudc.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
12 Player Server? Nice, maybe that means we can have custom team sizes. Always wanted to do try dumb things like 10v10 on a 3v3 map.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
coopolon said:

Except that Origin is currently just a reskin of the EADM which has been around for *years* without seeing much in the way of improvement.

Valve is focused on fulfilling their customers desires whereas EA is focused on fulfilling their shareholders desires.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
whats with the blue steam skin

FUCK

AND

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Maybe you need a special steam client to download the beta version of Dota 2 (Which has been available to unknown peoples since November, with a new batch recently added last month, likely made up of hardcore dota players under NDA)

The source for Alice is me! Last Entry in the Registry list of subscriptions. No telling when it will come out, or if EA may change their minds at the last second though, took like 4 months for Spiral Knights to actual release.

Salsa

well according to what im reading Alice Madness was in the registry for a while now.. even before this whole fiasco.

Maybe it doesnt mean anything :(

Zizbuka

Banned
Palette Swap said:
Fuck. "F.E.A.R. Extraction Point" and "F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate" are sorted after "F.E.A.R.2: Project Origin" in the list. I hate that.
The Witcher and Dawn of War make me cringe for the very same reasons.

Yeah, how about:

Sid Meier's Civilization® IV
Civilization IV®: Warlords
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

Guess how well those stay together with sorting.

InertiaXr

Zizbuka said:
Yeah, how about:

Sid Meier's Civilization® IV
Civilization IV®: Warlords
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword

Guess how well those stay together with sorting.

You only ever need BtS installed to play the best version of Civ 4.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have Genre Categories for everything, even though they were made nearly irrlevent once searching was added. I just type in a word, and bamn, game found.

Salsa

Drkirby said:
I have Genre Categories for everything, even though they were made nearly irrlevent once searching was added. I just type in a word, and bamn, game found.

problem is i like the big icon view :( lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SalsaShark said:
well according to what im reading Alice Madness was in the registry for a while now.. even before this whole fiasco.

Maybe it doesnt mean anything :(
Maybe in the Application Registry (Which also has random stuff like FFVII in it) but it literally is the last entry in the Subscription Registry (The list of all games and packages that can be purchased on steam), and unlike the app Registry which is really random in ordering, the Subscription Registry is Chronologically ordered to when it was added to the Registry.

Now, it doesn't mean it will come out anytime soon on steam though, I have seen things go up several months before Steam even allowed you to preorder the game.

Mr_Zombie

Gvaz said:
Audiosurf is pretty boring ever since Beat Hazard imo.
One thing that I miss in Beat Hazard is rankings per song - this is the thing that makes you return to the song again and again in order to get the highest score; right now, I just pick up a song, play it, change the song, play it etc; there's no real gaming-related desire to return to the previously played songs.

hamchan said:
They're only advertising the "Not available on steam" in te UK D2D store right? Kinda false advertising if they were doing that for non UK regions.

I´m from Sweden, and no matter how I try to reach their site, manually typing the .com adress, google, search, links, I´m redirected to the co.uk adress where I´m greeted with the "Not available on Steam" signs, which for me is a direct lie.

Oh D2D, you really are good only for cheap Steamworks titles and laughs aren´t you?

I know we were just talking about the shortcomings of Origin but just a heads up, tomorrow if EA's special deal gets 500 likes by 11am pst they will have both Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm for 60% off which would bring them to $12.00 each.

iNvid02

LovingSteam said:
I know we were just talking about the shortcomings of Origin but just a heads up, tomorrow if EA's special deal gets 500 likes by 11am pst they will have both Dead Space 2 and Bulletstorm for 60% off which would bring them to $12.00 each.

thats a really good deal, not gonna click it though

Salsa

Stallion Free said:
I find that the big icon view leads to me staring at my collection rather than playing it.

but it feels good man

LovingSteam said:

Offering deals in exchange of facebook "likes" sounds like the biggest shortcoming yet for me.

Here's hoping they dont achieve it, just to be an asshole.

CecilRousso said:
I´m from Sweden, and no matter how I try to reach their site, manually typing the .com adress, google, search, links, I´m redirected to the co.uk adress where I´m greeted with the "Not available on Steam" signs, which for me is a direct lie.

Oh D2D, you really are good only for cheap Steamworks titles and laughs aren´t you?

Not even that for me... I tried to get New Vegas there yesterday but it didn't like my phone number and refused to let me buy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom